final

The Answer

Sunggyu  was contemplating on the lyrics of his song. It was something personal, the album was all personal to him because beneath the layers of idolism, it was an album that discloses his heart and soul. He was an idol for so many years now but apart from that, he is also a human being with struggles of his own that he'll only reveal this once.

 

He was successful now but not when he just started and had to give up everything to achieve it. And that was why he was contemplating on the songs to put  on his albm. 27 is an album full of what is to be expected from him, his coming of age sort of thing,but above all, a plea to one person that mattered to him in more ways than one.

 

As he sang each song during the recording, the staffs were all at awe at how his voice rendered such painful emotion that was requested of him. He smiled and thanked them, not telling how he did it because he won't be shedding some light anytime soon. But he was left alone and the recording played in his ipod, he wanted to cry at how the song was a mirror of what he felt inside, of waiting and wanting someone unreachable. But who knew about this? None but him alone.

 

When it was time to promote the song, he was nervous not because he'll come head to head with legends BoA and Big Bang but because he was going to meet him, the person he longed to have for the longest time yet couldn't. He stare at his hands, not sure why he had decided to go with songs that revealed so much of himself over some pop songs that would be as catchy as hell. But the thought of letting him know how he felt, that was enough to pull him out of his regretful self and into a hopeful one.

 

“Can I talk to Sunggyu-ssi?” He heard the all too familiar voice and he looked at the door where a familiar face was talking to his manager.

 

“yeah, come in Onew-ssi.” his manager repleid and soon, he was standing up and bowing to the SHINee leader who was all good looking with the shade of pink tinted hair and his well fitted stage costume.

 

“Can we talk, privately?” Onew asked and Sunggyu nodded, asking permission from his manager and the two left the busy room.

 

They walked past the dressing rooms and towards the fire exit where it was a little less crowded and they were sure no one would eavesdrop on them. 

 

They were known to be awkward with each other but  the reason behind it was not yet knwn to this date. Sunggyu looked a little terrified with this confrontation, but he had expected it once he released the album. He knew perfectly why Onew wanted to talk to him and he knew that it was long overdue, but at least they can do it now rather than never.

 

Sunggyu looked up to meet the leader's eyes and his heart clenched painfully at what he saw, Onew. He knew it was a bit of a hopeful wish to bring back the days that was lost but it was free and it made him smile a bit. Onew was stern looking, not really what Sunggyu would hope for but this was better than nothing, and he'll hold on to this moment no matter how it end up.

 

“Your songs.. your album..” Onew started and Usnggyu swallowed the lump on his throat. 

 

“crap I know.” Sunggyu tried to sound witty,funny, anything but a sappy mess.

 

Onew narrowed his eyes, it was something he didn't expect from the Infinite leader who looked confident everytime he perform on stage.

 

“That's not what I was going to say nor expected to hear from you. You take pride in whatever music you make.” Onew repleid and Sunggyu mocked laugh at it.

 

“funny to hear it from you.” Sunggyu replied and that may have hurt Onew, but Sunggyu could care less.

 

“It's about me isn't it?” Onew asked and Sunggyu could feel the softness in the leader's voice and when he ooked into his eyes, he just knew that he couldn't lie about it.

 

… 

 

“Leave!” Sunggyu shouted, agry at the teen infront of him.

 

“I'm sorry!” Jinki uttered, trying to soothe the pains of his friend.

 

“You promised me that we will go together! You promised!” Sunggyu shouted and threw the first thing he could get his hands on, the unfortunate fishbowl that held some glow sticks and the plastic ball with a plastic house inside.

 

“I wanted to fulfill it Gyu but..” Jinki uttered, desperate to calm the friend down.

 

“But you didn't!” Sunggyu was beyond mad, he was hysterical. “I don't want to see you ever again!” Sunggyu shouted and pushed Jinki out of their so called hide out, a place in Seoul where they met and had bonded, in search to pursue their dreams of being singers.

 

They were strangers,from different parts of Korea, Jinki hailed from Gwangmyeong while Sunggyu was from Jeonju but had found friendship in the busy streets of Seoul. They had the same dreams , same age, same everything and they became what they were today due to it. But when Jinki landed an audition with Lee Sooman nonetheless, Sunggyu was jealous and mad, because they had promised to go together, that they'll be band mates, bff. 

 

But Jinki broke that promise, and he did what he felt was the only thing to do, push him away. He was of course jealous at one point, but he alsoknew Jinki would refuse the offer if Sunggyu hadn't pushed him away, SM entertainment was huge and with Jinki's natural charm and vocal capability, his friend was in good hands.

 

Jinki signed the contract with SM entertainment the next day and Sunggyu was hay to hear that, yet he was also hurt at his actions, because he knew, Jinki had this huge place in his heart, and the moments they shared together as dreamers meant so much more to him than what he could confirm to himself.

 

He grew fond of Jinki, his smiles were the best thing he saw in this life and that alone made him fall, neck deep, with him. But he couldn't hinder Jinki and so he pushed him away, telling himself that he'll follow soon.

 

He eventually auditioned for SM entertainment, hoping that he'll be able to meet Jinki again, praying that he'll finally be reunited with his friend, and maybe move on to something much deeper. But twice he tried, twice he was rejected. He could go for a third try but when he saw Jinki with a guy shorter than him, muscular and handsome, he gave up; Jinki was better off without him.

 

“Sunggyu!” He heard a familiar voice but he didn't dare to stop and look. He walked away as fast as he could and just forgot the pounding heart that longed for the teen with the brightest smile.

 

 

“Don't assume things Onew.” Sunggyu replied and Onew sighed as he shook his head.

 

“It's wishful thinking..” Onew replied, trying to rue away the tears that were forming on the side of his eyes.

 

Sunggyu laughed at that. “What were you even wishing for? You have everything.” Sunggyu hissed and it made Onew frown a little to deeply for comfort.

 

 

… 

 

“Woohyun!” Key called out to the friend who just finished their debut stage. “Guys, meet my riend Woohyun, and he's in the group Infinite.” Key chirped at s and the new boy group gathered and bowed to their sunbae.

 

They introduced themselves and Onew eyed the so-called leader, he knew who he is and so many things ran through his brain. He shook hands and acted politely, keeping in mind his image as a leader of the shining group.

 

“Congratulations on your debut, workhard.” Onew told them, flashing that infamous noona killer smile and the new group thanked him genuinely. 

 

It was a hectic year for SHINee and with Japan dbut and ocncert tours, he momentarily forgot the new group, the friend who pushed him away and now the leader of Infinite. He couldn't fathom why he couldn't be his friend, Sunggyu was always so dear to him that no one in SHINee could replace him in his heart; because he sees SHINee as his brothers but Sunggyu as someone worth giving up everything for. And he could, if Sunggyu had not pushed him away, he wouldn't accept the contract.

 

But that was long gone and he just wanted to be friends with him again, but it was so awkward nad frustrating. 

 

While they were making waves in Japan, Infinite had been steadily cimbing up the charts and soon broke the chains that hindered them. Onew was happy, he genuinely was, because he knew that this was Sunggyu's dream, and he would love to see his friend's star shine bright along side his. But more than that, he would love to see Sunggyu forgive him and accept him back as a friend.

 

He wasn't really wishing for stars and the moon, he just wanted Sunggyu back; because by now, he couldn't deny the fact that he likes the leader more than a friend.

 

… 

 

“I had everything but the thing I had wanted.” Onew replied and then took a deep breath.

 

There was an awkward silence that surrounded them, and both were unsure of how to break it or they could just leave it as is. Sunggyu looked at Onew again, gulity eyes scanning the disappointed ones of the SHINee leader.  He couldn't fathom why Onew wanted to bring up the past but deep down he knew why, but just couldn't bear to accept tha fact; because he was afraid to know the truth.

 

“If I tell you that the songs are about you, would you come back?” Sunggyu asked, choking on the last words. 

 

Onew looked at him in the eye, a glint of hope and a small smile on his lips. “I would Sunggyu, I would.” Onew replied and Sunggyu let out the tears that he had hold back.

 

“Jinki-yah, I missed you.” Sunggyu broke down and Onew instantly wrapped his arms around Sunggyu and held him close to his body. “I missed you badly, please come back to me.I want you back” Sunggyu uttered as Onew ran his hands on Sunggyu's hair and rub comforting circles on his back.

 

Onew was overwhelmed with the confession, something he had wanted to hear since forever. “I missed you too Gyu.” Onew replied, his voice cracked as he let his tears fell from his eyes, smudging the eyeliner his stylist had meticulously lined his eyes with. But who cared for make up when Sunggyu was in his amrs, crying and bearing his heart to him.

 

“I love you Jinki.” Sunggyu uttered so suddenly that Onew froze, not knowing how to respond to the words. Sunggyu closed his eyes as he prepared for the rejection, clinging tightly on Onew as he  braced himself for the reply.

 

Onew was shell shocked when he heard the words but he slowly smiled and tightened his arms around the leader. He was happy, he was more than glad to hear it because he felt the same way for his friend, he loved him.

 

“I love you too Gyu.” He muttered his reply and kissed the top of the leader's head. Sunggyu pushed himself off of Onew and stared deep in his eyes. He noticed that they were both crying and it was all too cheesy like a TV drama but it was their moment, despite being  sappy and cliched, it was theirs to share.

 

And they both leaned in to capture eac other's lips, smiling and laughing afterwards, knowing that they had just returned to the day they met, of the happy times when they were both so innocent and eager, and dreamers of a non existent future.

 

“I am back Gyu, and I need you too.” Onew uttered, smiling wide as he held the leader's hand. 

 

Sunggyu nodded, knowing that his song had did its part, and screw the awards, Jinki was the best he could receive in his entire lifetime.

 

“no yo yamanhae taourun nae shimhangun anumyon andwae nae jilmune daedabun.” Sunggyu sang and Onew smiled wide at him. He kissed him again, this time more passionately than before.

 

“you are still a helpless romantic.” Onew replied and intertwined their fingers before he led them out of the fire exit and going back to Sunggyu's dressing room. “I'll see you soon.” onew uttered and pecked his lips one last time before he walked towards his own dressing room a few doors away.

 

Sunggyu couldn't help but smile at the friend's antics. He was grinning when he returned to his dressing room where his manager has already asked his stylist to fix his smudged make up.

 

“If you don't look desperate later, I'll personally ask  Manager Jin to break the two of you.” Hyoan uttered and Sunggyu lightly punched him on the arm and sat on the chair for his stylist to retouch his makeup.

 

Onew was smiling wide as he entered the dressign room but his manager wasn't. He called out one of the stylist and had to work on Onew's smudged face. But Manager Jin was grinning wide, knowing that finally, his maknae of a leader has decided to take a step for love's sake.

 

“Sunggyu is up in ten minutes, want to watch?” Manager Jin uttered and Onew smiled widelt at that. 'Welcome back Jinki.” He added and Onew smiled even wider.

 

They ended up watching Sunggyu perform one of the two songs and Jinki was grinning widely and acting like a teenage girl in love as he watched his beloved Gyu perform his heart out. But he resisted the girlish scream when he locked eyes with the leader during a part of the chorus and spoke through him. When Sunggyu was done with his set, he walked off the stage and met the SHINee leader. He bowed and politely asked for his opinion. Jinki was all smiles as he raised his two thumbs up.

 

“Kissing later, you both have stages coming up.' Manager Jin uttered and the two laughed and nodded. 

 

“But you can hold hands.” Manager Hyoan added and the two quickly interlaced their hands and went back to Sunggyu's dressing room. 

 

“Please stay.” Sunggyu muttered while blushing and Jinki couldn't resist the offer, nodding immediately.

 

---

 

a/n: yeah sappy as hell but it is ongyu~