Leaving Home

The Shining Students Of SME

"It's not fair. I don't see why I have to go to that stupid school anyway. I don't even want to go." Jonghyun grumbled under his breath as he tossed another garment to the side, trying to decide what he wanted to take to his first year in a new school. The young male sighed as he pushed his hand through his dark brown hair, looking at his wardrobe that slowly becoming bare of clothes. Jonghyun wasn't a typical teenager, although it was something he desired the most. Unknown to the world, Jonghyun was one of the few that were born different to humans; he had magical abilities. Although they weren't at the level of greatness, Jonghyun's parents were sure that he would grow to become one of the best wizards of his generation, therefore enrolled him into the best magical school known on Earth.

After looking at his list of essential items to pack, Jonghyun turned to his drawer of random things he used to keep him entertained, most items were video games, manga, and his precious laptop. None of the following were items that he needed to pack, but he wanted to take a few things to cure the boredom of the next year. "Jonghyun, are you almost packed? You don't need to take everything you own." Jonghyun's mother walked into her son's bedroom, sighing as she saw Jonghyun packing a few items that she knew wouldn't be allowed in the school. "Jonghyun, you're packing way too much. You'll get more things at the student market down in Mabeob Lane."

"But I need to pack these things Umma. How do you expect me to enjoy the next year without the little things that keep me sane?" Jonghyun calmly replied, not even looking at the adult as he continued to pack another box set of manga. "Plus I don't need all those books, and other educational things. I can catch up with studies with online classes, find answers with the Internet, type everything on my laptop, and use my phone for any calculations." Jonghyun continued to mutter as he tried to force a collection of video games into his suitcase.

"I wrote you a list for a reason. You're only allowed to bring certain items to the school, and video games are certainly not one of them." Jonghyun's mum walked to the bed where the suitcase was placed, before taking a lot of Jonghyun's things out of it. "The school is ran in the best way; the old fashioned way. That means there's no electricity, no Internet, no phones."

"Umma no!" Jonghyun yelled in pain before falling to the floor. "How can you expect me to survive without those things? How am I supposed to complete my work without the Internet to give me answers? Plus without my video games, I'll die of boredom!" Jonghyun continued to moan and complain, watching his mother unpack all of this luxury items, only leaving his clothes in the case.

His mother shook her head, reaching out for her wand and pointing it at the items that were now on the bed. "You're going there to study, not goof off. Until you come back a fully trained wizard, I'm confiscating these in the family vault." Jonghyun bit his lip in a sulk as he saw the items disappear into a golden glow, that closed with a final silver spark that took shape of a lock. He hated that certain spell, because he didn't know how to perform it, or break the spell for that matter. Every time he was naughty, he would see his precious things disappear into that damned void. "And just for the record, we will be informed every time you try to unlock it, so don;t think just because you won't be here, you'll be free to do as you wish. We will know what goes on."

"Fine. Just as long as you don't look at my stuff, especially the manga. I don't want you seeing... Just don't look at them!" Jonghyun stood up, still sulking as his mother finished his packing and locked the case with a flick of the wand. "I don't see why I should go to this stupid school anyway. I have no interest in becoming a great wizard, it's a pointless thing anyway. You and Appa went and look what you've become; a teacher and a business man for the humans. There's nothing we can do with our powers in the human world. I just want to be a normal 18 year old human boy."

"As much as you wish for it, you won't be normal. You were born a wizard, and you should embrace that. You have so much potential that you don't realise. Maybe if you actually got your head down and worked hard, you would soon learn how much you're really capable of." Jonghyun stood in silence, knowing he wasn't getting out of going to the school by throwing a tantrum. "SME is the best school for magical creatures, you should be honoured that you got in."

'Creatures', Jonghyun hated that word. It separated him from being normal. He wasn't a human. He was just a 'creature'. "I didn't want to get in, being different ruined everything for me. You know how much I distanced myself from everyone when I found out about my powers. What if everyone hates me there? I don't want to go through all of that again." Jonghyun tried to explain his reasons for not wanting to go, hoping his mum would stop him as he pulled his case from the bed.

"Everyone there is in the same situation as you. It'll be different in this school, you won't need to feel like an outcast any longer." Jonghyun's mother put it firmly, walking out of the room, beckoning his son to follow. "We will be leaving soon to go to get the supplies. Either you meet me and your Appa in the living room, or I'll send you to the school without anything, and you wouldn't want that would you?"

Jonghyun took one last look at his bare room, the room no longer seeming to belong to him. It was just a spare room now, a room without an owner until the Christmas break. "This is pointless..." Jonghyun rolled his eyes as he walked out of his room, reluctantly making his way to the living room to start his first year at SME. The next step was one he wasn't looking forward to; shopping for supplies.


Hey everyone.

This was a short chapter, but I wanted to test how it worked out. What do you think of the idea so far? I was going to introduce some more characters in the next chapter.

Just want to point out that Jonghyun is a teen here, and the rest of SHINee will be teens also. Since the story is based on the Harry Potter parody they did when they were young, I wrote their characters to be the same age when they debuted. This also means I can write them to be a bit naive and put in more character development during the story than I could have if they were their real ages.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this chapter, and please share your views. I should be getting back to updating regularly soon.

~Heather X