No joke

8 Long Summers

When you hungover af but you gotta keep your promise

---

The cool crystal waters shimmered below you, the calming blue hues almost too much of an invitation. You leant down,  kneeling on the sandy cobbles, reaching out a hand just to skim across-

"If you go within a meter of that water once more, I'm going to push you in. You'll become a weak old woman"

You gave a glare towards your brother, his arms raised to fold behind his nape, lopsided smirk plastered upon his face.

"You wouldn't."

Xander, or 'Derr' as you not-so-affectionately called him, took several strides towards you, michevious glint present behind his thick-rimmed sunglasses. He gripped your arm, pushing you towards the edge just enough to make you screech, before pulling you back and tucking you under his arm. Aiming several harsh slaps at his chest, you struggled out of his grip, trudging ahead of the boy, shooting a peek of your tongue over your shoulder as you marched.

"Jeez, if I didn't know you better, I'd say this heat is making you cranky!"

Yet again, he swung a toned arm around your shoulders, dragging you towards the coastline where the festivities would soon begin.

"Ugh, just shut up and buy me some food like a nice brother would"

The elder let out a small chuckle, herding you towards the crowds gathered along the coastline.

---

"-Eommaneun oegyeinin gabwa-"

Xander shrieked the lyrics, swinging around in the centre of the crowd you had wormed your way into, gripping hold of your wrists in an attempt to humiliate not just himself, but his darling baby sister. Apparently ignorant of your disapproval, he paused, eagerly awaiting you to reply with the backing vocals. His face scrunched up in such a way to share his thought of 'you ', before doing his best (or as you thought, his worst) aegyo-like voice-

"Mwo!~ Deowi ttawin antaneun geot gata~ Ta!-"

Sighing, you rolled your eyes until the screeching had ceased. He dropped your hands, choosing instead to steal a chunk of your watermelon.

"."

You swiped you palm aggressively across his upper arm, earning a yelp, followed by a shrug and a few mumbles of 'ungrateful little brat, I'm a great brother'. Ignoring him, you moved on forwards, towards one of the heavily-lit stages, where the main attractions were held. 

The festivals around these parts weren't as traditional some other areas, instead using celebrations as gimics to draw out university students, seeking fun as oppose to revelling in the rich traditions.

So, instead of the usual performances, the city invited musicians to play, as the crowd bustled, individuals stumbling into each other, making new friends as the faint smell of alcohol and celebration wafted through the air. The evening had already drawn in, the more traditional participants and those with children having already left, leaving the beach to the young frivolous beings  that remained. Unsurprisingly, the stretch of sand remained busy, energetic post-teens awaiting the main acts on stage.

"-she's so amazing. Oh my God. She's actually there. Hyuna is literally less than 20 metres away from me. This is crazy-"

You glanced up at Xander, crossing your arms as you let out an amused sigh.  

"Real cool, bro. I'm sure Hyuna would love a snivelling fanboy as a boyfriend"

He frowned, jabbing his elbow into your ribs. You fought back, a miniature play-fight in the middle of the swarming crowd. You were about to score a well-aimed flick to his ear when you felt a gentle tap on your shoulder.

"Yah, why are you two always squabbling when I see you?!"

You turned to the familiar voice; a tall, skinny girl, with pale skin that almost glowed, light brown hair falling uncaringly from her shoulders. A pretty face that you would be forgiven for thinking that perhaps you had stumbled upon Victoria Songs lost twin.

"Hye-jin! How are you, I haven't seen you since-"

"-last year, at Junsoo's birthday party! Gosh, remember that?"

Oh yes, how could you forget? Xander quite possibly drank too much and attempted to resolve his long-standing crush on Hye-jin by half-singing-half-screaming 'Oh Vicky, you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind' until he had fallen face-first into the neighbours pond. It was your favourite blackmail material.

However, you decided to nod politely, hiding your smirk whilst stepping to the side, revealing your obviously-still-embarrassed brother.

"H-Hye-jin! Hi! Hey! Didn't see you there! What's up, homeboy?!"

She tilted her head, brows coming together as she gave an amused smile. The boy continued to stumble over his words, only serving to entertain you more.

"- I, uh- Homegirl?- I mean-"

"-Uh, sorry, Cho's hovering by the drinks vendor. Bad idea! Catch you guys later?"

And with that, she vanished into the crowd, Xander still stuttering for redemption before realising Hye-jin had gone, quickly following.

-and now I'm on my own. Cool. You sighed as you returned your attention to the centre stage. A smirk appeared across your face when you were struck with an idea; Dob in your dear older brother to your mother. He'd ditched his adorably vulnerable sister in his pursuit of a wife. Yes. Darling Xander was 'marriage-ready'. You could just imagine your mothers squeals as she corners him, armed with eighty-billion questions about his potential-fiancée. Revenge will be sweet.

---

The evening was reaching it's peak, the crowd becoming rowdier as  a newly-debuted boy group took the stage. The screaming throng was almost loud enough to drown out the heavy sounds of engine, pulling into the nearby parking area with a slight drift, wheels screeching. Both passenger and driver stepped out in unision, eyes shaded with designer glasses, matching smirks. The taller man, the driver,  threw the keys to the blonde passenger, spinning them thrice around his index finger before pocketing them in his slim-fitting Levis. The pair proceeded to walk towards the celebration, having an animated discussion with several hand gestures. At one point, the blonde had peeked over his shades, catching your eye. He gave a blinding smile in acknowledgement before you were submerged once more into the crowd. 

The boy group on stage begun to wrap-up, several members leaning off the stage to reach out to the fans below, consequently causing the gathering to surge forward, in the hope of also getting the chance of skinship with the handsome idols. At this point you were still in the middle, baring the brunt of the movement. You could feel the people behind you hurrying to try an occupy any free space, shoulders and elbows digging into your back as they tried to slide past. Just as you were about to be thrown to the floor by yet another brush of shoulders, a pair of strong hands gripped your waist, steadying you on your feet.

"You always were clumsy"

You turned just to catch a glimpse the retreating boy, eyes twinkling over the rim of his sunglasses, mouth quirked up to the side as he swaggered after a tall figure with familiar auburn hair. You stared after the pair,  shaking your head in amusement when you heard a high pitched squeal of 'Pyo!' towards the front of the crowd. 

 ---

With Xander still MIA and the acts beginning to cool it down on the centre stage, you made your way around to the smaller amusement stalls, where many other students lingered. It didn't take long before you were dragged into a semicircle of girls, thankfully recognised as your course-mates.

"It's far too hot!" Groaned Sunye, a short 2nd year with flattened hair to her waist, with this unusual habit of wearing thick sweaters all year round.

The rest of the group let out little huffs in reply. 

"Um, you do know what Sambok is, don't you?" Offered Chunyin, shuffling her thick-framed spectacles with her pinky finger. Back in China, she'd spent two years incessantly researching Korean culture, thinking that she would be chastised for her lack of knowledge. It turned out quite the opposite.

Sunye let out another uncomfortable groan, tugging at the hem of her jumper.

"Drinks, ladies?"

Seungdae's head bobbled above the rest of the group as he shuffled into the centre, large tray of colourful liquids in his hand. Simultaneously, each of the girls snatched up a glass, leaving Seungdae with a stubby cup filled with foul-looking, thick, brown liquid, unattractive even with its decorative lime slice. The boy sighed loudly, giving his neck a slight scratch before reaching over for the last drink.

"I should've known this was gonna happen."

"Why did you even doubt it?"

Seungchae gave her twin a nudge, the brown goop sloshing over the rim of the glass to splatter across his knuckles and then onto the floor, narrowly missing his prized Jordans. He clucked his tongue at her, shaking the residue off his hand in her direction. Minah sighed, quickly stepping forward to raise her glass determinately.

"Drink!" She hollered, slurping her own icy beverage down in record time. The rest of the circle soon followed, leaving Sunye spluttering into her own still-half-full glass. You all shared a knowing look, quickly surrounding her. The countdown begun, with each call you took a step forward. It was obvious that her were attempts were to be in vain. Seungdae, being the tallest, snuck his arm over her shoulder, stealing the cup from her before she had a chance to react. The rest of your group lunged at her, quickly lifting the petite girl off the ground and onto your shoulders. 

You arrived at the edge of the pier, all glaring down into the waters below. Sunye, who had given up trying to resist, began to struggle when she also took notice, letting out high pitched squeals as the group hefted her into position.

"This is the penalty!"

With that, you began to swing her by her limbs, closer and closer to the edge. Just as you went to release her, the small arm you were gripping stiffened, tugging you along with the force. Both of you fell towards the water, screeching loudly as you went.

Two large hands gripped at your waist once more, hoisting you to safety until you could stand by yourself. Sunye still held onto your wrist, even as she dangled precariously over the ledge. She gripped onto the stone with her free hand, choosing to release you in favour of the sturdier ledge. You looked over your shoulder at your saviour, his hands still hovering on your waist. 

Woo Jiho, a friend since childhood, instantly recognisable by the way his unkempt bleached locks stuck out at various angles atop his head. His trademark smirk faint with a look similar to concern in his eyes. But when his eyes met yours, his usual teasing expression returned. He leant forward to whisper in your ear.

"We wouldn't want you falling in"

A gentle blush dusted your cheeks, your hand automatically reaching up to slap his hands away.  High-pitched squeaks came from the side of the ledge, distracting you from your attack. Both of you, and the other four members of your group,  turned to stare at the tall man crouched on the floor beside the still-hanging Sunye, his hands offered out towards her. 

"Sun-Sun, what happened? I'll rescue you!" Pyo frantically shook his arm at her again, causing short snickers to echo around the group. Jiho huffed amusedly, shaking his head before stalking over to his tall friend.

"Pyo, you crazy dog, what're you doing?"

The auburn-haired man glanced over his shoulder with a whiney 'hyung' before returning to his task of fretting over his girlfriend, finally reaching for her hand. Jiho shot a smirk in your direction, before raising his leg. You let out a poorly-concealed snort of laughter gaining the crouching boys' attention. He flicked his brow upward, going to peek over his shoulder, where Jiho was now bringing his leg forward.

The sole of the foot collided with Pyo's upper back, sending his friend flying into the water below. From the horrific screaming below, it seems that the boy had successfully managed to drag his girlfriend into the water too.

The squeals below were drowned put by the enormous laughter of your friends and the snickering of passersby that caught the action. Jiho clutched your hand, simultaneously pulling you with him as he peered over the edge to sneak a look at the sour-faced couple bobbing in the waves. With a quick tug he launched you forward, almost slipping over the edge if not for another jolt of his arm which sent you falling harshly into his chest. You glared up at his smug expression. "Gotcha" he winked. Smacking at his shoulder, you hazarded a glance at your friends, all of which staring back with raised eyebrows and wretched smirks. Jiho noticed too, slinking an arm around your waist and letting out a bellowing chuckle.

"Very cute!~"

You turned to see Cho, wobbling on her feet, grinning at the two of you as her eyes blinked unevenly, giving a jump when Sunye gave another shout from the water. Rolling your eyes, you slipped put of Jihos grip, missing his pout as you guided your drunken friend to the nearest bench.

---

After forcing half-a-litre of water down Cho's throat, you looked around for the rest of your friends, neck straining to peer over the still-bustling crowd. You managed to catch a glimpse of Sunye, woollen jumper clogged with salt water, a single shoe raised threateningly as she chased after a cackling Minah. Sighing amusedly, you turned your attention back to Cho, shocked to see that she was now leaning against Jiho's arm, listening intently as he grumbled into his phone. Ending the call abruptly, he shoved his phone back into his pocket before glancing up to catch your eye.

"I- Uh, just ordered a taxi to take Cho home"

He gave a weak smile, giving the girl a small pat. Cho, seemingly displeased at the idea of being sent home early,  let out a shakey whine, sounding similar to a 'I don't wanna', quickly hushed when she fell forward and began to wretch. You slid your feet away from the floor, earning a laugh from Jiho as you continued to rub at the smaller girls' back. 

---

After seeing Cho off, the pair of you began to walk towards the crowd in search of your friends. You stuck close to each other as you weaved through the throngs of dancing bodies, looking for any hint of the dampened auburn hair of Pyo hovering above the crowd, or the bickering of the twins, an obnoxiously noisy affair at it's best. But no, you could neither see nor hear your friends and by this time you were ready to give up and just enjoy the night. You looked over at Jiho, his brows still furrowed in concentration although he too had given up searching.

"Are you okay?"

His gaze shifted a bit, but he didn't look at you, didn't answer.

"It's just that you haven't said anything since Cho left, so-"

Suddenly, he gripped your wrist, plucking you from the crowd as he pushed forwards, towards the metal fencing that separated the beach area from a main road into the city. He stopped, body tense, stood still on the pebbled ground as his hand loosened its grip. He turned to face you, still avoiding your eyes as he worried his bottom lip with his teeth.

"I'm not okay"

His eyes flashed up as you backed up against the fence. It wasn't often that you saw Jiho like this, but you knew to give him space.

"Is it because of Cho?"

You willed your voice to remain strong, gaging his reaction. He took a step back, turning towards the crowd once more as he sighed through gritted teeth.

"It's got nothing to do with her." He growled lowly.

"Then what is it? You can tell me" You brushed a hand over his shoulder in a comforting motion, but quickly snatched it back when he spun, eyes yet again burning into your own.

"You never understand!" Tears  began to collect at the side of his eyes as he started to walk towards the fence. You stood in shock for a moment, gaze following him as he walked a few meters away, letting his head fall slowly against the steel netting.

"8 years. 8 years I've been trying to confess to you. And every time you just ignore it. Brush it off as a joke because you think I'm incapable of love."

He turned his head slightly to stare back at you.

"It's not a joke, I wouldn't play with your heart, hurt you like that. I'm not incapable." 

Taking both of your hands in his own, he leant down to lean his forehead against yours, his voice now a mere whisper.

"I'm not incapable, because I love you"

You closed the distance, your lips brushing softly against his the only reply he needed. His arms wrapped around your waist as they had done many times before, only this time it was different. He smiled into the kiss, both of you chuckling gently as you broke apart, revelling in the feeling of being held in each others arms. 

"Um"

Your heads snapped in Xanders' direction, taking in his lipstick-smeared face before glancing at Hye-jin beside him, her previously neon-pink lips faded and puffy. She grinned smugly. 

"He finally confessed, thank God." She gave your embracing figures a look before adding "-seems like he's not the only one"

You mirrored your brothers' open-mouthed stare, staying silent for a while until your minds had taken the situation in.

"Don't tell ma-"

"I won't tell if you won't tell"

"-deal."

You shook each others' hands, nodding firmly before returning your attention to your respective lovers.

---

To: Jihomie <33333

My skin is peeling! HELP!!! 

 

From: Jihomie <33333

Haha you're gross (;

 

To: Jihomie <33333

...but you still love me right? 

 

From: Jihomie <33333

Until my very last breath <3

 

To: Jihomie <33333

And you called me gross (; <3

 

From: Jihomie <33333

Rude! 

 

Caught up in typing out a reply, you neglected to notice the looming figure of your mother peering over your shoulder at the phone in your hands.

"Jiho?!"

You jumped up defensively, spinning to see Xander leaning against the wall with a smug look on his face.Your mother had that crazed look on her face, her excited smile bordering on creepy.

"Xander found a wife!" You blurted, rushing from the room as she rounded on her son. You pressed your back against the closed door, squeals of laughter escaping as you listened to the scuffle coming from inside the room.

"Ma! No wait! I just- Argh!"

You slid down to the floor, phone still held against your chest as you grinned smugly. 

 

Life was good.