Chapter 1

Equinox

Girl just take my hand, together we will go
Somewhere that only you and I would ever know
It’s a place where our love will always and forever grow
I promise you that I would never ever let you go

 


In our family, man were a touchy subject. Your mothers first husband was an alcoholic, at the end it was so bad that she had to hide every penny from him, because he would rather drink himself to sleep in some shady cafe than feed your twin sisters. He eventually drank himself to death. You would think your mother would focus on your sisters from then on, but she used to love man. And so one after another came and went, until she met your father. He was already married and had another family, despite that they had you. 

Of course after that they had to move. An unmarried widow of two who became pregnant, you and your family would be spat on everywhere you would have gone in the small countryside village. And so you were born and raised in Seoul. Your mother took care of you of working hard and your father paid some allowance to keep you going, even though he never came to visit or showed any interest in your well being. He died at an early age, and none of you went to the funeral. You didn't even really mourn him, he was stranger that betrayed your mother. They all had betrayed her.  And if you get lured in by them, you will get betrayed too. You all knew it at home, and so your mother brought you to an all girls school, and you spent your life far, far away from the other . 

You sighed and pushed your hair out of your face. Until now. You had just graduated from high school and you were getting ready for a women's college. The only problem was that your mother couldn't afford it and so you had to spent your whole vacation working. One of your friends from high school had managed to get you a job at the same coffee shop she worked at, so it would probably be lots of fun. The only problem was being faced with them for the whole day.

''Ughhh.. I don't wanna go'' You complained loudly, as you looked in the mirror. You sighed, you had no choice, so you might as well go with it. 

Walking the 15 minutes you arrived at the coffee shop that was called Jeje. It was small and it was one of those places that you would just walk by without giving it a second glance. Inside it was empty and you wondered how they kept this place going. The boss was mostly absent and so your friend explained everything to you. A few costumers came in and you helped them as well as you could. Even though some were men, you smiled and bowed politely though you made sure not to give them any wrong ideas, and you never touched them when you gave them money back. To think about it, you had never even touched a man as far as you could remember. 

And so you spent your days working hard and you found yourself actually enjoying yourself. You and you friend had a lot of fun. On warmer days it was busier for some reason, and since it was a nice summer day today, almost all the seats were taking in the little shop. 

''One espresso please sweetheart''. A voice rang out to you as you were just about to finish making coffee for another costumer.

''One second, sir'' You smiled politely at him, disgusting. He was much older than you, most likely around his 40's. He was wearing a suit and you supposed he looked attractive for his age.. 

You handed the other costumer that was before him his coffee. You were just about to turn around to make him his espresso when you heard him again.

''Come on, love, I don't have all day''. He didn't even look up from his phone this time and you gritted your teeth. Rude. As slow as possible you made him his espresso, internally smiling at your small resistance. 

You handed him his coffee and said: ''That will be 3000 won please,'' You somehow managed to get out. 

He looked at your face and all of a sudden he wasn't in a hurry like he was before. Reaching in his pocket appallingly slow, he continued.

''You know, someone with a pretty face like yours shouldn't be working in a coffee shop.''

''3000 won, please'' You repeated.

''Ah don't be like that, sweetheart! Men don't find that attractive you know'' He snickered while you just stared at him blankly. Was he being serious?

''Don't look at me at that, just smile, it makes your face look prettier.'' He continued, and before you knew what was happening he was reaching forward with his hand nearing your face. Suddenly you forgot your earlier bravery, and panic crept over you. You didn't want to feel his disgusting hands on your face, why couldn't your friend just come back from her break?

You closed your eyes and waited for the impact, feeling nailed to the ground. But it never came. Hesitantly you opened your eyes. Another man had appeared and grabbed the wrist of the older man. 

''I think it's best if you just pay for the espresso and go.'' He murmured calmly, though it didn't take an expert to hear the warning that was lying underneath. 

''O-Or what?'' The older man dared.

''Dude, just go.'' Another man with blonde hair interfered, and yet another with brown hair nodded, agreeing with the statement said before. 

Defeated the old man just slammed 3000 won on your counter and stormed out of the door. You exhaled a breath you had been holding in and intertwined your hands to keep them from shaking so much. 

''Are you okay?'' The man who had helped you asked you and you looked up to him. That was when you fully saw him for the first time. He was beautiful, every inch of him was appealing to you. His eyes were huge and laced with dark long lashes, he had an small and cute nose, tan skinned and a philtrum that stuck out a little. Brown hair framed his face and covered his forehead. He was bewitching. You cleared your thoughts, it didn't matter how handsome he was, that didn't his personality that was branded in his DNA.

''I'm fine. I don't need your help, I can take care of myself.'' You replied, knowing you were being very rude at someone who had just saved you from being d by a gross old man. Excepting him to be taking back by this, to even call you an 'ungrateful little girl' you were more than surprised at his reply. 

''I'm sure you can. I just can't help myself in situations like these. Sorry'' 

Wait, what? Not only did he agree that you could take of yourself but he also apologized for interfering. Surprised you stared up at his face. What was happening? You were apparently staring at him for a little too long, because one of his friends laughed which he tried to hide as an cough. He had a cute dimple when he smiled at you, politely ordering a cappuccino. The other man, who looked more intimidating with his dark clothing and dyed blonde haired, was also very polite and just ordered a black coffee. The man who had saved you ordered an ice coffee and kept his stare on you while you worked on their order. When you were finished he was the one to pay for everyone's drinks, and when you handed back his change, you accidently touched his hand. You felt your stomach tighten, but it wasn't necessarily a bad feeling. Just.. different. You were just glad it was him, and not the costumer before him. 

They left with their coffee's in their hand and you hoped they didn't come back. They looked nice enough, for men, but still. You had never been in this kind of situation and another visit could only leave you more confused. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

''Hi, Y/N'' You knew that voice. Turning around you were faced with the man who had helped you yesterday. 

''H-How do you know my name?'' You demanded. Confused at your outburst he pointed at your name tag. Right, blushing you looked at the ground when you mumbled a quiet ''Oh yeah, right.''

''What do you want?" You asked him rudely. You couldn't help yourself, why couldn't he just leave you alone?'' 

''Two black coffee, please!'' He replied with a broad smile, as if you hadn't just asked him in the way you did. You glanced behind him and saw a smaller black haired boy. He smiled at you too, showing his teeth, and his smile was one of those smiles that could make someone forget their surroundings in an instant. What were they? A bunch of models? 

You wiped the hair out of your face and started on their order. When the happy boy just continued behind you. 

''My name is Jaehyo, btw'' 

''That's nice for you'' You mumbled back. 

You handed them their coffee's.

''You have no idea who am I, right?'' He asked leaning closer to you over the counter. Should you know who he was? You had certainly never met him before since you went to an all girls school. Was he one of the boyfriends of the girls there? Or was it his profession that should make you recongize him? He was very beautiful, so maybe..

''A model?'' You blurted out. 

The black haired man behind him laughed openly at your response: ''Just give it up, Jaehyo. She doesn't know us so just leave the girl be.''

''I don't mind that she doesn't know. It's cute, you know Ukwon. She's cute.'' 

''You can stick that cuteness right up your '' You mumbled, thinking you were quiet enough so they wouldn't hear, but unfortunately the odds weren't in your favour today. The man who was apparently named Ukwon laughed loudly again, while Jaehyo moved in even closer, staring at you with a intregeud expression as if he was trying to figure you out. It made you feel awkward and exposed. 

''Come on, Jaehyo. You have terrified her enough for today.'' Ukwon snickered. 

''Yeah, yeah.'' He leaned back and paid for the drinks and walked out with Ukwon. 

'''Bye Y/N! See you tomorrow!'' Jaehyo yelled when he was almost at the door and Ukwon waved at you. 

You sighed and looked at the counter. Not only did he leave 20000 won tip, there was also a little piece of paper with his phone number. Groaning you laid back your head, it was going to be a long summer.