one/one

friday night smiles

tumblr_nlfbp5r86P1tipr3co1_500.gif

tumblr_mqzc90CDsh1sc4y8zo1_500.gif

 

 

Friday.

She had her head wrapped around that one word, that one day of the week which was today. Friday. It was Friday, and what happened during Fridays? Lots of things really. Adults get to rest (even for a little bit) and sleep in, teens get to go out and have fun at night with their friends, kids get to play video games as long as they wanted and not get scolded.

But with Kim Yerim, her Fridays consisted neither of those. Her Fridays were simple; considered plain even. She’d be in her house, alone, because her mom doesn’t come home until her last shift which was at 5 in the morning, wearing matching pajamas and either a tub of ice cream or a bowl of ramen on her lap as she watches replays of dramas on their old TV screen.

That was her Friday night routine, and she was okay with it. She liked it.

This Friday night, she was in her favorite pair of pajamas, watching a replay episode of Emergency Couple and a bowl of ramen was on the coffee table in front of her.

It was so typical and usual, and again, she liked it that way. She was contented with this peaceful Friday evening, alone and not bothered. 

Yerim sighs, merely because a kiss scene between Song Jihyo and Choi Jinhyuk is showing on the screen. “How romantic,” she says with a bittersweet tone before eventually looking away. She couldn’t handle scenes like that ever since…

Ever since.

She sighs once more because she couldn’t dare complete her thought. Her heart felt heavy in her chest.

Friday.

She looks up at the dark ceiling above with a small frown on her face.

Friday.

He was supposed to come home today. He was supposed to come back.

Friday.

But there were no texts, no calls, no anything that came Yerim's way saying that he would.

Friday.

Yerim didn’t want to expect anything anymore.

Friday.

He was still not here.

Friday

Friday

Friday

Ding dong went the doorbell.

Blinking, Yerim stood up.

“Who is it?”

“Sseul Restaurant,” said a cheery voice from the other side, making Yerim jump a little in surprise. “Your order of jjajangmyeon and tangsuyuk is here, miss!”

With a raised eyebrow, she opened the door, and she finds herself face to face with a stout delivery man still wearing his helmet. She looked down at the box he carried. “I – I didn’t order anything from your restaurant."

“Ah, don’t worry.” He pushes her lightly aside and walks over to the living room. “It’s already been paid for.”

Yerim watches, a little stunned and confused, as the guy places the bowls of food on the coffee table with no regard for her confused expression. When he was finished, he made her sign something before going out.

Friday.

She looks at the bowl of covered jjajangmyeon and tangsuyuk, it looked so tempting and so delicious in her eyes. She watches the time on the television and sees that it was still half past 9 pm, her mother would be very busy at this hour too busy to even make a phone call. 

“But who –“

The thought of her mom ordering it lingered in her head, but that thought went away as soon as she heard a voice from behind.

“Oh, the food’s here already?” she went completely still. “You know Yerim, you should close the door, seriously, anybody can just go in." the sound of the door closing echoes all around yet Yerim still can't bring herself to look back.

"What're you doing here?" she says, her voice surprisingly stable. 

His footsteps grew nearer, louder. "Oppa came back of course." 

She feels her heart, whose beat was steady and slow until a second go, quicken it's pace as she feels him just behind her. "But, your apartment is on the other side." 

"I wanted to see you." 

She couldn't help but snort, and when she finally turns around to look at him, not a frown or a smile is on her face. She blinks, unmoving and unwavered by the sweet smile he was giving her then, as if that smile alone could apologize for all the things he's done these past few months - or rather, didn't do. 

No calls, no texts, no anything to let her know he was still thinking of her too even with the noticeable amount of land and distance between them.

"You're not happy I'm back?"

Yes, I am. She couldn't really hold it anymore, she knows she's been wanting to do it ever since she heard his voice and even though his faults were big, she still wanted to wrap herself around his arms and just sleep in the couch with him and get scolded by her mother by morning, like before when he was still around twenty-four-seven.

But it seemed so surreal, for him to be just standing there, smiling at her as if those months of no communication didn't happen at all. 

Yerim finally lets herself smile and it's the smile she has reserved just for him. Just for that boy named Jeon Jungkook. "You only left for a little while, but it feels longer. You don't - you don't call me or text me, or even write me a letter." 

He smiles even more, and she's angry and wondering but more on the wondering side because she can't really get angry at Jungkook, no matter how hard she tries or wants to be. "At least I'm back." 

Two steps forward on his side, one step back on her's. "Come here." he spreads his arms for a hug and softens his tone, letting her know that it's okay. They're okay. 

Yerim succumbs to the feeling inside the pit of her stomach and steps forward this time. One step, two steps, three. "I missed you."

She is basked in his scent and embrace, and all Yerim wants to do is just make the moment last even longer with him.

It's been too long. So long.

"I missed you too." he says in her ear, making her spine shiver.  Jungkook hugs her even tighter and Yerim loses herself in his hug. 

She closes her eyes, sighing. "The food's getting cold."

"No, it's not." 

"I don't even like jjajangmyeon that much."

"No, but I do. You like tangsuyuk." 

Yerim smiles again. "I like you more than food."

Jungkook kisses the crown of her head. "I feel honored." 

They move towards the table, down on their knees and legs as they chow down together. Jungkook doesn't move an inch away from her, their thighs pressed together and shoulders bumping occasionally. He tells her he misses her a hundred times, and that he's sorry a hundred more. Yerim tells him it's okay, and it is really, and showers him in kisses as if he's leaving again tomorrow.

He's looking at her and she can see the happiness behind his eyes, it's sincere and genuine and it makes her smile back at him with the same sincerity he shows her. She drops her chopstick and leans against him, head on his shoulder as they stay in the moment. Together. 

Friday. This is what a Friday should be.