Tear Stained Tee

Tear Stained Tee - Sunggyu

Opening the car door, a woman slid into the passenger’s seat with a man holding the door open for her, he waited until she was safely inside before closing the door securely. Making his way around the car, he reached the driver’s door, opening the door, he slid into his seat and pulled the seat belt over himself. The click sounded, notifying him that the seat belt was secure and locked into it’s holder, turning the key in the ignition, the car started up with a happy hum. Shifting the car into gear, the elderly couple headed off to the pre-planned dinner that their two children had planned months in advance.

“Do you think we will like our daughter’s boyfriend?” The woman asked, turning slightly to her husband that sat in the driver’s seat.

“As long as he makes her happy and treats her well.” The man replied with a soft smile. Nodding her head her quivering hand tapped against the middle console separating one from the other.

The man wrapped his wrinkled, worn, leathery looking hand around hers, lacing their fingers together his thumb gently her fingers as his other hand securely sat on the wheel. The car rolled to a stop just before the red light, the slight shift of the car rocked from front to back as the man’s eyes turned towards his wife. Allowing his eyes to take in her incomparable beauty, with her black modest dress with a colored shall over top, his eyes moved to the small amounts of jewelry that just hung around her neck then dangling from the lobes of her ears.

Screetching of breaks were heard from behind a split second before their car jolted forward, into the busy intersection in front of them. Their intertwined hands clutched each others as the man slowly opened his eyes, slowly looking around and taking in his surroundings, he caught his tense breath before he leaned over and brushed the backs of his finger against her cheek. Her head lifted to his touch, knowing the familiar message in the soft touch of the love of her life. Once her eyes met his, her eyes shifted slightly to the side to see a pair of headlights hit the car, instantly filling her eyes with tears.

“What do you think about this shirt?” Sunggyu questioned, stepping out from behind the white door of the closet.

“Hrmm…” You tapped your finger against your bottom lip while your eyes maliciously moved over his outfit.”Not bad… I think that there might be a better match.”

Adjusting yourself on the Queen sized bed, you rested on your stomach allowing your elbows to sink into the mattress below. Pulling your phone over to your side, you smiled over at him as Sunggyu slowly started to his shirt and head back to the closet to change his shirt, yet again. Just before Sunggyu closed the door, your phone buzzed beside you with an incoming call. Accepting the call, you smiled and pressed the phone to your ear.

“Hi Oppa~” You sing, your eyes watching Sunggyu’s figure back from the door and glance over at you with a scowl tinting his eyes.

“Oh yes, Junseo , I am with Sunggyu right now” You smile at Sunggyu adding a wink knowing Sunggyu was watching.

Rolling his eyes knowing that it is your brother, he keeps the door open as he shuffles the dress shirt off of his shoulders. Hanging the dress shirt back on it’s hanger, he poked his head out of the closet just to check up on you. Watching your face melt from your happy, bubbly self to one of sadness and devastation, he leaned against the door while he fiddled with the collar of the next shirt between his fingers.

“Our parents were in a terrible car accident” Your brother relayed to you, upon hearing the news, your heart skipped a beat then fell to the pit of your stomach.

“How bad are they?” You question, your eyes searching for answers but not finding any in Sunggyu’s room.

“Pretty bad, the driver of the other vehicle has already passed away” Junseo informs, “Our parents are in the hospital. I am here with them now but the doctor said that I should ask you to come over as soon as you can.”

Nodding your head in reply, your tongue slowly slid over your bottom lip then bringing in your bottom lip between your teeth, you hummed softly while your eyes dropped to the dark blue comforter draping over the bed. The bed gently dipped from the weight of your boyfriend, hearing the call end, you pulled the phone from your ear and held it between the palms of your hands and watched the screen go dark. Sunggyu’s strong hand rested against your shoulder and began to rub in small soothing circles.

“Babe, what’s wrong?” He questions knowing this look when you are only totally devastated. Shaking your head you denied that anything was wrong yet Sunggyu knew differently. Time slowly passed as you chewed on your bottom lip, your eyes closing and inhaling deep breaths letting your mind simmer on the information about your parents.

“Gyu, can you take me to the hospital?” You question with a soft yet broken voice, your eyes slowly lifting to his.

“Sure” He nodded before standing and grabbing a white v neck t shirt, pulling it over his head he turned back to you, “Why?” He inquired gently, pulling the bottom of his shirt over the black jeans that hugged his legs.

“My parents are there, Junseo said I should come as soon as I can” You whisper as Sunggyu padded over towards you, looking down at you he brushed his fingertips across your cheek before your eyes lifted back up to his to see his head nodding. 

Reaching down with one of his hands, his fingers uncurled to offer you his hand, sliding your hand into his, he helped you stand up then head out the door, grabbing a jacket for both of you. Slipping into the passenger’s seat, you buckled yourself in as he placed your jacket on your lap, moving to his seat, he started the car and began to drive to the hospital that your parent’s were at.

The car ride was silent, your eyes watched the passing objects outside of the car, thoughts flying through your head as you couldn’t help but let your thoughts unravel. A gentle touch pulled you just short of terrifying outcomes that could possibly be awaiting you.

“Everything will be okay” Sunggyu reassured as he turned off the car once pulled into a parking space at the hospital. His thumb running over the length of your arm.

“What if it isn’t?” You questioned, your throat tightening with fear

“Then you will have your brother and I to lean on if you need” He whispered, carefully leaning over he kissed your cheek before he pulled away and opened his door. Pulling on his hoodie, he walked to your door and held your jacket as you got out.

Peering up at the large building, your hand gently gripped the fabric of his hoodie as he slowly walked up to the building. Helping maneuver through the white halls and up a few elevators, Sunggyu navigated to your parent’s room while you followed him like a little duckling. Lifting your eyes, you saw your brother pacing outside of their door, his arm folded across his chest while teeth gently nibbled on his thumb.

“Junseo” Sunggyu called capturing his attention. Walking over to meet him, your brother opened his arms as you moved from beside Sunggyu and wrapped your arms around your older brother, his arms wrapped around you while his head rested against yours allowing both of your eyes to close for a moment.

“Do you want to go see them?” Junseo questioned while he pulled away from the hug, his hands gently rubbing your back.

“Please” You nodded your head gently, peering over at Sunggyu, he stepped back and nodded at you.

“I’ll wait out here” He reassured you, slowly you and your brother shuffled quietly through the bamboo door.

The darkened room welcomed the two of you as you held your brother’s arm allowing him to lead you to the bedside of your parents. Hanging between the gap of the beds, their hands still intertwined as tubes ran along their battered arms.

“How are they?” You ask your older brother

“Not very good, the doctors have said they have a slim chance” He pats your back gently while tears began to sting your eyes while your chest and throat tightened.

Their peacefully sleeping faces pressed against the pure white pillows as you approached each one of them. Leaning down, you whispered some sweet memories and get better wishes to each one before placing a kiss on each of their cheeks.

Standing upright, your brother rubbed your back slowly as their heart rate began to slow, the beeps that filled the room slowly made a heart dropping constant tone. Turning your head into your brother’s shoulder, the nurses stood by knowing that they have tried everything to keep your parents alive, yet it wasn’t enough.

Taking everything in, a few tears slipped from your eyes and rolled down your cheeks before you gazed down at them trying to remember every little detail of their loving faces. Moving out of the room slowly your eyes fixated on the plain tiles lining the floor of the hospital. Sunggyu pushed himself upright from leaning against the wall once he saw you emerge from their room.

“How are they?” Sunggyu holds your arm gently as you turn your body slowly towards him and tilt your head to look up into his eyes. That hollow look told all as you dropped your head slowly and he stepped towards you and rubbed your arm.

”_____…” He started to console you, his hand running up and down your arms

“Dont, just…. don’t” You shook your head as the tears began to plummet from your eyes and transfer onto his white t shirt.

Sunggyu watched your fist clench at your side as you lifted it to his chest, Sunggyu held your arm gently as his thumb rubbed against your skin, your head gently shook as your hand started to pound against his chest while words spilled from your mouth.

“If I didn’t invite them to dinner, if I would have scheduled it another time… if I would have went to their place instead of their favorite restaurant then they wouldn’t be gone.” Your tears ran down your cheeks, your uneven breaths and shaky tone began to take it’s toll on your body, making you weaker by the moment.

Sunggyu took the hard hits as you pounded on his chest. Your body began to come to reality as your knees started to go weak. Sunggyu slowly wrapped his arms around you and pulled you into his chest as he tucked your head under his chin, raking his fingers slowly through your hair, he felt your warm tears soak into his shirt as he closed his eyes while his arms held you securely against him.

“There gone” You whimpered as he nodded his head and rocked you from side to side gently just letting you think through things as he knew that he would keep to his word and let you lean on him as much as you needed before you could stand on your own two feet again.