Love

The Storm

  ‘It’s storming outside, and the occasional thunder and lighting are so terrifying. On this lonely day, I just miss you…’ Hyosung signed, getting ready to delete the text, when her fellow dorm mates spotted her looking attentively at her phone, and silently approached her, snatching her phone.

  ‘Yah!’ Hyosung panicked, shouting at the members of Secret. Ironically, in Secret’s dorm, no secrets could be hidden. ‘I’m the leader, so give my phone back, or I will tell the manager to punish you, even forbidding you all to eat next week!’ Food was the only thing that could threaten them, she’s sure. However, not this time.

  ‘Omo, Hyosung! You are so romantic! To Kikwang? Hey, you told us that you guys were not dating? Thank god our schedules today are all cancelled because of the storm, because you need lots of time to explain yourself…’ Grinning, Sunhwa beckoned at the other members to pin Hyosung to the sofa. ‘Why are you guys doing this to me?’ Hyosung stared innocently at them all, but none of them paid any attention. She had no choice but to…

  ‘Don’t even try Hyosung!’ Hyosung’s plan failed: trying to take back her phone by force, but Sunhwa just threw it over to Zinger, who ran away. Hyosung struggled from the grasp of Sunhwa and Jieun, and of course, as she was stronger than them, she broke free. Hyosung posed with her hands wide and her famous ‘gummy’ smile, enjoying her victory for one second, then ran to catch Zinger. Zinger, however, was standing in front of the bathroom, and didn’t even move when she saw Hyosung. That’s weird.

  Hyosung took back her phone, immediately trying to delete the text. However, she found that… her text had been sent?

 

  In Beast’s dorm, things were just boring. Kikwang hated the storm today: originally they had a schedule with Secret, and he could see Hyosung. Days as an idol were too busy, it’s difficult to find a day free, so his fellow beast members were sleeping, enjoying a good rest. Kikwang, however was restless.

  He missed Hyosung. Kikwang rarely saw her because Beast was not having a promotion while Secret was busy promoting their new single. Today was such a rare chance to see her. Kikwang sighed. He liked her since their shy boy’s days, because Hyosung was just so cute, yet she’s able to be extremely y too when she was dancing. They met a few times in person afterwards, but only after three meetings did Kikwang muster the courage and get rid of s to talk to her. Her beauty was so immersing that he has forgotten everything they have said that day. Kikwang only remembered Hyosung’s nice, very refreshing smile and her cuteness when talking with her exaggerated hand movements. He couldn’t get her out of his head afterwards. Although he got her number, he just didn’t have the time and the courage to ask her out…

  Suddenly his phone rang. ‘Shy shy shy boy……’ A message came, from Hyosung! ‘It’s storming outside, and the occasional thunder and lighting are so terrifying. On this lonely day, I just miss you…’ What? ‘Yes! I could die happily now!’ Kikwang was more than thrilled, he couldn’t sit still. So he cheered and ran around in the dorm, jumping and waving his arms around, eventually waking up everyone.

  ‘Hey Kikwang we were trying to sleep! Keep quiet will you?’ Doojoon went out from his bedroom, yawning and rubbing his eyes. Others came out too, complaining in agreement. ‘Hyung! Look what Hyosung sent me! I am so happy and excited!’ Kikwang his phone to Doojoon. Doojoon had to read the text three times after his brain totally woke up and understood the meaning, his eyes widening. ‘Kikwang! Just ask her out!’ Other members were curious, and after circulating Kikwang’s phone, they were very happy for Kikwang too. ‘You had always like Hyosung! Go and see her now, ease her loneliness.’ Yoseob patted Kikwang’s shoulder. ‘I’ll do that! Thanks guys. Sorry about disturbing your sleep!’ Kikwang called their manager, asking him to take him to Secret’s dorm.

 

  ‘Sorry Hyosung! I must have touched the “send” button while I was running away from you!’ Hyosung was mad, and were scolding Zinger. She hated embarrassment, and this was one thing that embarrassed her most: declaring her love for someone, especially now that someone was Kikwang. She had done that once, but…… Let’s just say it didn’t go well. Hyosung was truly scared and she still hadn’t received a reply for 15 minutes. She made up her mind that she would pretend knowing nothing about it next time she saw Kikwang.

  It didn’t help at all that she liked Kikwang. That would increase the embarrassment. He was handsome, he was witty, he could be slow and a bit stupid at times, but his smile was always bright and warm. Not to mention that Secret debuted almost at the same time as Beast. Hyosung was sure that Kikwang wouldn’t even remember her from Secret’s debut days, but, oh, how Hyosung remembered Beast and Kikwang at that time. Their exceptional performing skills as a rookie really caught Hyosung’s eyes, and that one boy which danced so well stayed in Hyosung’s heart. She searched more about him later, and became a fan since then. Later, Secret got more famous, and Hyosung was really happy anytime she saw Kikwang in any occasions, but she didn’t dare reach him. Well, Beast was still far more famous then Secret right? Hyosung couldn’t help but felt some distance between them, which Hyosung wasn’t confident in closing it.

  Then suddenly, on one occasion, Kikwang came and talked to her! They even exchanged phone numbers! And of course, all Secret members were thrilled as they knew how much Hyosung liked Kikwang. They continued to after that. But who will be happier than Hyosung? Kikwang was such a nice boy, making Hyosung comfortable at once when they were having the conversation. She became herself, just Hyosung, not the girly or y her when she’s on stage. She loved every moment of it.

  Today should be the second event they met after that nice conversation. Hyosung sighed again when she remembered the storm. Oh, how she missed him… ‘It’s alright girls. I’ll just pretend it’s not me that sent that message. I won’t tell the manager to punish you!’ Hyosung could never punish the members, of course. However mad she was, they were like a family to her. The members were astonished, gaping at Hyosung for a moment, then laughed, jumped up and hugged her tightly. ‘Hey! You guys are so heavy, get off!’ Hyosung smiled and shouted to them, but still hugging them tightly.

  Just then, the doorbell rang. Hyosung groaned, and said ‘Just when I was enjoying some time with my members! Sunhwa get the door!’ ‘Okay!’ Sunhwa grumbled but obediently went to the door. She was silent for a few seconds, her eyes glued to the eye-piece, and then she screamed! ‘Hyosung unnie! I hope you’re ready for a surprise!’

 

  Kikwang pressed the doorbell and waited. His hands were sweating anxiously til he heard a shriek inside Secret’s dorm. Ha, even through a thick door, Kikwang thought amusedly. Secret members are so entertaining. He chuckled when he saw an eye of an unknown owner peering through an opened crack of the door, every strand of nervousness forgotten. ‘Why are you there?’ Sunhwa voice rang out. Kikwang, although kind of disappointed because he was expecting to hear Hyosung’s (beautiful) voice, responded politely, ‘I would like to see Hyosung.’ ‘Hyosung unnie……are somewhat busy now, do you mind waiting for a moment?’ Sunhwa pulled the door open, with Jieun and Zinger crowded behind her. ‘Of course!’ Kikwang was nervous again, going in a girl group’s dorm. Honestly, he had never been to other girl groups’ dorms. That would be embarrassing. But now, into his dream girl’s dorm……it’s heaven for him.

  Kikwang waited in a chair in a dining room, his hands grasping the teacup, which Jieun gave him, tightly. The butterflies began flying in his stomach. He didn’t even dare to look around the dorm, afraid of invading the personal space of Hyosung. What if she didn’t like it? He stared down at the table instead. Tense silence rang in the dorm, and only the sound of the clock ticking could be heard. It remained him of the time when he was impatiently waiting for Secret’s new MVs, only the tension now was even stronger. What if she didn’t care for me and that message was only a joke? What if it’s only my illusion for missing Hyosung too much? Kikwang even picked up his phone to check the message.

  ‘Crack…’ A door opening. That’s it. Oh, how Kikwang’s heart hammered. How it raced. How it blocked out every single noise in the world. How Kikwang’s mind felt blank. He didn’t even dare look up until he heard her heavenly voice.

  ‘Hi Kikwang.’

 

  Oh it came out all wrong. Hyosung’s voice sounded as if someone was strangling her. She scratched her head in embarrassment, her fingers running through her hair to check that it was at least acceptable, if not beautiful. Everything was such a rush, and it felt so dreamy. Kikwang visiting her dorm? That’s so unrealistic. Hyosung didn’t remember what she put on. She blushed, looked down and was happy to see that she put on some sensible and normal clothing.

  ‘Hyosung?...You looked fresh. But beautiful.’ Fresh? And what about the ‘but’? What did that mean? ‘I have never seen you without make-up before, but you are extremely cute and natural without your make-up. Really!’ Oh no. Hyosung has totally forgotten to put on her make-up. It’s the shock, maybe even the…excitement of seeing Kikwang. Hyosung thought of running back, of doing her make-up and pretended that what Kikwang saw was a dream only. Oh Kikwang you must have fallen asleep while waiting! Maybe you should go back home for some rest… Hyosung even imagined the scene. But she couldn’t keep him waiting. She couldn’t keep her heart waiting. She gazed up anxiously, just to see Kikwang copying her expression. They stared at each other, then broke into a laugh.

  ‘I was so scared that you might be offended by my compliment!’ ‘No I literally forgot about making up!’ They chatted animatedly about the make-up issue, when suddenly someone coughed from behind. ‘Maybe you guys should go to a more private place to talk!’ Jieun’s bright voice reminded Hyosung of where they were. Reminded Hyosung of who she was talking to. Suddenly Hyosung was scared once again. What would Kikwang think when he saw me without the glamour of an idol? I didn’t even know what Kikwang’s here for! Hyosung was definitely overexcited seeing Kikwang, but now she had come to her senses. What WAS she thinking?

  The next moment, they were pushed out. Into awkward silence.’Um, should we take a lift down? Or do you want to just talk a bit here? I don’t even know why you’re here?’ Calm down Hyosung, she told herself, don’t ramble. ‘You……sort of summoned me here, with your message.’ He smiled sheepishly. ‘That’s……kind for you.’ She copied his smile. ‘So it’s really you. I was dreading that it was a joke when I was waiting for you.’ ‘Well, maybe I shouldn’t come out!’ They laughed, then silence surrounded them again. ‘We should get moving!’ Kikwang shouted after a few seconds, his voice echoing in the empty corridor, making Hyosung laugh again. She couldn’t resist laughing around Kikwang. It was magical, the way she felt totally happy around him.

  They went into a lift. ‘So where are we going? If you are going to ease my loneliness?’ Hyosung blushed. ‘I love your blush.’ Kikwang suddenly remarked, making Hyosung blush even more. She bowed her head. ‘Hyosung, dear Hyosung, what do you want to do? I would enjoy doing anything as long as it pleases you. As long as you’re with me. I want you to feel happy around me. I want to be the one whom you’ll turn to for every single thing. Do you know how happy I felt when I got your message?’ Hyosung couldn’t put out the fire on her face, but she couldn’t resist staring up, meeting Kikwang’s beautiful, attentive and warm eyes. ‘Hyosung, you are not the only one needing me. I need you. I am glad you summoned me. I’ll be your white knight today. Or maybe, better still, forever. Now, we could see a movie…’ Hyosung felt his right hand touching her left hand delicately, ‘…and then had dinner…’ Now his hand was slipping into her left hand. She gladly opened her hand to allow smooth access for Kikwang’s hand, ‘…and we could have a very nice long chat.’ His fingers intertwined themselves with Hyosung’s fingers. ‘What do you think?’

  Hyosung couldn’t think of anything now. Her mind was blank, the heat from her right hand erasing her memory. How can Kikwang like her back? ‘Thank you.’ She choked out. Hyosung was so grateful for the storm now.

  ‘Now, I demand a gift.’ Kikwang pointed to his cheek. Hyosung smiled, and was about to kiss Kikwang on the cheek when Kikwang turned around, giving Hyosung a peck on her lips. ‘Yah!’ Hyosung shouted, even when her insides were melting for that warm, soft touch. She wanted more…… but she didn’t want to be carried away. They were idols after all. Hyosung need to keep reminding herself that.

  The lifted opened. Kikwang pulled out sunglasses for them both, and then got into the car of Beast's manager. Normally Hyosung would be scared of being seen by publicity, but now Hyosung really didn’t care. All she remembered was that hand holding hers and the lips…Right, now don’t get carried away.