Debut | Meeting UNIQ

Idol Life ft. Wang Yibo

[Italicized dialogue is said in Mandarin~]

The girls of 4Love crowded around a single phone on the table. They all had nervous expressions on their faces as they held hands.

"You guys will do fine!" A voice on the other line said. Chunji, a member of Teen Top from the company they were from, continued to reassure them. "You've been practicing for months now. It'll go well!" 

Jin exhaled deeply, "I really hope so." 

A few other words of encouragement were said, as even other Teen Top members like Changjo and Ricky ended up on the end of the line. Soon after, the girls felt significantly less nervous.

Shana decided to focus her attention on the television in Music Bank's waiting room. A rookie group like them were performing- UNIQ, apparently. The song was nice and sweet, and catchy too. Shana found herself enjoying it. The rap parts were the ones she enjoyed the most, being a rapper herself.

It also helped that the rappers were cute. 

"They're good," Meilin said suddenly, appearing beside her. "Aren't they the boys from Yuehua? They were on a Chinese channel recently." 

"Oh? They're Chinese too?"

"Some of them, I think." Meilin eyed the other member with a teasing look. "Found a new group to be a fan of?" 

Shana laughed, "maybe. Despite the fact that we'll be idols soon ourselves, the fangirl in me is still strong." 

"What happened to 'Changjo forever', Shan-ah?" Hyemin grinned, having heard the conversation. 

"I have a duty as a fangirl to keep a growing bias list," she replied solemnly. 

"Girls, one more stage till it's our turn," the leader said, looking calmer than earlier. "We can do this, right?" 

A chorus of agreement rang in the air. 

Shana didn't realize that UNIQ's performance was done until a group of five boys suddenly entered the waiting room, making UNIQ and 4Love the only groups around at that moment.

"Are you guys going after them?" One of the members surprisingly spoke, gesturing to the group already on stage.

"Yeah," Jin replied with a smile. She wasn't 4Love's leader for nothing. "We're 4Love. I'm the leader, Jin. It's going to be our debut stage. " 

Shana along with the other members joined Jin when they realized that she was talking to a really good looking group; they were all tall and ridiculously handsome. 

"Oh, we're--" 

"U&I UNIQ!" The boys suddenly said. The member from earlier grinned, "I'm Sungjoo. We debuted just last week!" 

"I'm Seungyoun," one of the members spoke, a wide smile on his babylike face. "Uhm, the others are..." 

"I heard of you guys," Meilin spoke up. She then continued in Chinese, "you have Chinese members, right?" 

A few of the boys looked surprised- the tallest one spoke soon after. 

"There's three of us. I'm Yixuan," he introduced himself with a deep voice. He then pointed to the two others beside him, "this is Wenhan and Yibo." 

"Meilin," she said in return. 

Shana received a light nudge to her side, disrupting her thoughts- her thoughts that happened to be invaded by a certain tall, blonde Chinese boy by the name of Yibo. He was one of the rappers she noticed earlier. 

"Shana," she said after awhile. 

"And I'm Hyemin," the last 4Love member to be introduced said. 

"Goodluck with your debut stage! I'm sure you guys will do great," Seungyoun smiled as the other members nodded in agreement. 

"Thanks," Shana replied. She couldn't help but glance again at Yibo- only to find that the other boy was looking at her too.

A brief look of surprise passed over his face before he offered a small smile, "yeah, goodluck." 

"It's our turn!" Jin announced. She flashed a quick smile at UNIQ. "Thanks for supporting us, too. Hope to catch you guys soon," she said professionally as she led the other girls out. 


Back in the waiting area, all five pairs of eyes were glued on the television set high up in the center of the room. UNIQ watched as the girls from earlier began performing their debut song, Venus.

"Cute concept," Wenhan commented. 

"They're nice," Sungjoo said with a grin. "They all look pretty young though." 

"I was happy they have Chinese members," Wenhan replied back. He nudged the youngest member beside him. "What do you think?" 

Yibo didn't answer, instead he continued to stare at the TV just as Shana's rap part came up. 

"Ya, Yibo," Seungyoun said, waving a hand in front of the other's face. "Enjoying the performance a bit too much, aren't we?" 

Yibo glanced annoyedly at Seungyoun for a while before he broke out into a smile, unable to fake being annoyed around the other member.

"I think they're great," he said calmly. 

"No relationships allowed," Yixuan reminded the group, who then began a series of whining and complaints.