They finally meet :)

I Like You Best

IU’s P.O.V

I stood on the school track, getting ready to compete in the mile run. Ahh... I loved running. It was very relaxing and I’d get to enjoy this since our exams were over three weeks ago.

“UNNI!” cried Jiyoung as she ran over to me. “Good luck! I know you’ll come first like you always do!”

“Thanks! But you’re competing too aren’t you? What happened to our tradition of racing together?”

“Our tradition is still going strong IU! Don’t worry! This is our second last year of our tradition anyway.”

The teacher announced the age group for the race.

“All seventeen year old competitors make your way to the start line immediately.”

I grabbed Jiyoung’s arm and led her over to the start.

READY! SET! GO!

Off we went, running as steadily as we could. I glanced at my watch and saw that we were already five minutes into the race. I turned to my right and saw Jiyoung, puffing beside me.

“Jiyoung-ah!” I called out to her. “FIGHTING!”

She smiled and nodded back at me. We were nearly there. I turned back and saw that the other competitors were well behind us and before I knew it, I crossed the finish line with Jiyoung slowly coming up behind me. When she completed the race, I ran over to her and celebrated with her.

“WOOOO! WE DID IT AGAIN!” I cried, while jumping up and down with her.

“Unni!” she panted. “How can you still have the energy to jump up and down and scream after running that far?”

I laughed.

After we cooled down, we went to sit on the grass with our classmates while we waited for the eighteen year olds to compete. I looked around and saw Dongwoon standing at the start line. I smiled to myself and “telepathically” sent him best wishes and good luck. Jiyoung linked arms with me and watched after them.

“I swear you look at him so adoringly that it’s on the verge of creepy. But aside from that, you guys would be so cute together!” said Jiyoung.

“I do not look at him creepily!”

I glanced back to the start line and saw Dongwoon talking with his group of friends. Kekeke... I can’t wait until his race started - I wanted to see what he looked like when he ran.

“See! LOOK YOU’RE DOING IT AGAIN!”  Cried Jiyoung.

I tore my gaze away from them and glared at her.

“I. Am. Not.”

“Fine.”

Then the start gun went off. I turned back to the competitors and saw that Dongwoon and his friends were just walking in slow motion while the others ran like there was no tomorrow. Yoseob was there too. That got the whole school’s attention and they had started laughing at them. Jiyoung was rolling her eyes at them. I shook my head and laughed. They were so taking the race seriously. As they headed off, I lay down on the grass and stared up into the sky and before I knew it, their race was over and it had started raining.

“STUDENTS! PLEASE FORWARD INTO THE MAIN BUILDING AND TAKE COVER!” announced a teacher.

The entire student body pushed and shoved each other, trying to quickly get into the building without getting too wet. Fortunately, Jiyoung and I were one of the first so we were pretty dry. Then, Jiyoung tore ahead of me and walked towards the seats in the hallways. With this crowd, I quickly lost her.

“IU!”

I quickly turned around and saw Yoseob standing by one of the vending machines. He gestured me to come over so I carefully manoeuvred my way around the maze of students.

“Oppa! Annyeong!” I yelled, over the crowd.

“How did you go in the race?”

“First in my age group.”

“Again?! Waah! My Jieun is unbeatable!”

Yoseob then ruffled my hair, his way of showing that he was proud of me. I normally hated people ruffling my hair, but Yoseob had done this since like, forever and I was used to him doing it. I smiled.

The guy who was standing behind Yoseob and facing the vending machine turned around to Yoseob. Hmm... I didn’t notice him there before.

“Hyung! What flavour drink did you want again?”

My jaw dropped. It was Dongwoon. He was standing there, water dripping off his hair. I nearly fainted from the sight of how good he looked. Yoseob just smiled and looked at me. Dongwoon then turned to where I was standing. I blushed and stood there nervously.

“Dongwoon, this is my friend Lee Jieun. Jieun, this is my friend Son Dongwoon” said Yoseob.

We both smiled at each other and bowed. I can’t believe this. We were being introduced. I swear I could hug Yoseob now.

“I’ll choose my own drink Dongwoon. You guys can talk to each other,” said Yoseob, before turning away to the vending machine.

Dongwoon stepped closer to where I was standing. He looked at me and smiled.

“Umm... so I heard you came first for your age group,” he said.

“Y-y-es. I did.”

“Congratulations.”

“Thank You.”

Gosh this was so awkward. My heart was beating at 100 miles an hour. I looked up at him and smiled. He stood there and smiled back. We stayed like that for about a minute or so then I realised Jiyoung was waiting for me. She hated it when I left her waiting. I reluctantly said good bye to Dongwoon and set out to find Jiyoung. As I walked away, I squealed in delight. We spoke to each other. I giggled and skipped around trying to find Jiyoung.