Royals

Be My Princess

"So, It's starting tomorrow..." I heard my dad say out loud. He was reading the newspaper while my mother was cleaning the counters.
 We had come to the bakery early today because we had to prepare an important order today.

"What's starting, Appa?" I asked him while I kneaded some dough. He seemed to be really interested in the newspaper.

"The 'Be My Princess' Contest" Father chuckled. "I really can't believe they still plan to host all these nonsense events."

"Hmmm..." I said, thoughtfully. "Oh! Isn't it that contest where lots of Princesses come to the Castle and then they compete to become the new Queen?"

"Not just to be Queen, Tae." My mother answered. "She also gets to be Prince Kris's wife! It would be such an honor."

I scoffed, "It would be like getting married to a statue. At least Prince Chanyeol knows how to smile! Prince Kris always has that stone-hard expression on his face."  

"But It's such a pity that he must choose one of those Princesses. He can't choose someone he loves." Father smiled sadly.

"Isn't that what this is all about? For them, marriage is just a way to make new alliances." I tried to blow away a stray lock of hair from my forehead.

My mother pushed it away for me. "It's not always like that. The King and Queen for whom I worked before put their children's desires before anything else."

My mother used to be a maid for the royal family of another kingdom. But after she met my father, she left that kingdom, and came to Astra.

"At least Prince Kris would find a worthy Princess for himself. The rest of the society doesn't have that privilege." Father pointed out.

It was true. Our society was divided into three sections: The Royals, The Aristocrats and the Laborers. My family belonged to the last category. But the rule of the society is that no person can get married into another section. That means, no Cinderella story for us. You have to marry someone from the same section as you.

I sighed again, "What kind of life is this?  We can't even get married to the person we love."

"Don't you think it's the same for Prince Kris? What if he fell in love with someone from the Laborers? " Mother asked.

"I doubt it. Probably, All that matters to him is Royal blood and the throne." I shook my head.

Mother chuckled, "I don't understand why you hate him so much."

"I don't hate him...I personally think he would be a good ruler after King Aiden is gone...but he needs to express his emotions at least." I said, covering the prepared dough and then washing my hands.

"Haha, I remember the time when 'Be My Princess' was hosted for King Aiden. He used to show affection for almost all the Princesses!" Father laughed.

"But in the end, It was Queen Cecily who stole his heart." My mother pulled out some fresh bread from the oven.

"They all sound like womanizers to me." I opened the door of the bakery to let the morning sunshine in. 

"I wonder what ruckus you would have caused if you were a Princess." Father laughed to himself.

For a moment, I saw mother's face stiffen. But then it went back to normal. 

My mother was so beautiful even though she was not young anymore. When I was small, I always hoped to look like her when I grew up but unfortunately, I don't look like either of my parents. Mother says that I looked like my grandmother a lot. Too bad, I never met her.

"Can I see the newspaper?" I went over to father and peeked into the paper. 

The Royal Family's Picture was on the front page. King Aiden looked content enough. Queen Cecily tried to look calm, but I could see the excitement in her eyes. Prince Kris's face was as usual, cold and emotionless and then there was Prince Chanyeol, smiling gleefully. 

Under them were tiny pictures of the 15 Princesses who were invited to take part of the contest. I browsed through all of them until this one particular Princess caught my eye.
Princess Aimee.

"Woah...Doesn't this Princess look like me?" I pointed out.

"Which Princess, Tae?" Mom asked me

"Princess Aimee of Kaden."

Mom's eyes widened and she quickly grabbed the newspaper from my hands.

"Uh, Taeyeon, Why don't you go deliver the bread? Oh and you also have to deliver this Blueberry pie to one of the security guards at the gates of the Royal Palace." Mom handed me the basket of bread and a blueberry pie in a hurry.

I looked at Father with confusion but he just shrugged.

I sighed and walked out of the bakery. I attached the basket to my cycle and then began peddling through the alleys. 

Astra, our country, was a beautiful place. Even though most of the population belonged to the lower section, King Aiden and his predecessors did a lot for the welfare of the country.

I delivered all the bread in the basket and then decided to cycle around for a while. 

Before I even realized it, I was near the Royal Palace. I stopped my cycle near the gigantic gates and stared at the castle for a while. It was enormous and highly elegant. It dazzled me.

Tsk, These people get to live the life of complete luxury...I bet they've never known how it is to sleep with an empty stomach.


I sighed and took out the blueberry pie out of the basket. I didn't look where I was going and then suddenly, I bumped into someone. The person fell down and so did my blueberry pie.

"Oh no! I'm so sorry!" I helped the lady who fell down.

"No problem!" She smiled at me and dusted her dress. Her accent was so fluid. She had beautiful golden hair and a pale face. Though, Her eyes were covered with sunglasses. "Oh, I'm so sorry about your pie!"

Then she took off her sunglasses.

My mouth gaped open slightly, It was Princess Aimee!

"I-I'm so sorry, Your Highness!" I bowed down. Ah, really Kim Taeyeon, you're such a klutz

"Ah so you recognize me?" She giggled. I could make out that she was observing me very carefully. "You are...?"

"K-Kim Taeyeon, Your Highness." I stuttered, she was even more beautiful up close...and even more similar to me.

"Taeyeon..." She smiled widely and bit her lower lip. She seemed really happy for some reason. "I don't think this is a coincidence. Looks like fate has brought us together."

"I-I beg your pardon?" I asked.

"Don't you find it odd that both of us look almost the same?" She said.

She was right. The only difference in us was probably our hair color and our age.

"To be honest, it really is very odd." I said bashfully.

"Taeyeon..." Princess Aimee took held my right hand in her palm. I was shocked and instantly looked up at her. Her eyes begged for something. "I have a favor to ask you."

I didn't know why, but I had a feeling that someone was watching us.

"Y-yes, Your Highness?" I asked her.

She glanced around and then motioned me to come closer. When I did, She whispered into my ear.

"Taeyeon...You look like you belong to the third Section. Am I right?" She whispered.

I nodded slightly. It was so embarrassing. But every time she said my name...I heard amusement in her voice.

"Do you have any financial problems at home?" She asked me.

"Well...Sometimes we don't have enough money for food and clothes." I bit my lip. She would've already guessed that by seeing the rag clothes I was dressed in.

"I see...I have just one favor to ask of you, Taeyeon. If you agree to it, then I promise to help your family...But you have to agree." Princess Aimee whispered.

I wonder what she wants from me...but as long as she's willing to pay, I don't mind. We really need the money

"What is it, Your Highness?" I asked her

She held out her pinky finger to me. "You promise not to tell anyone and do as I say?"

I entwined my pinky with hers. "I promise!"

Princess Aimee gave me a warm smile. 

"I want you to pretend to be me."

What?!

"B-but Your Highness! How could I possibly-" 

She put a finger to my lips. "Softly, Taeyeon. I know this is a big favor to ask of you...but you see, there is trouble looming back at my kingdom and my presence is required immediately." She paused "However, I also need to be present here because I was chosen and rejecting this invitation would be a direct insult to the kingdom...Although, I have no interest in Prince Kris. He is too stoic for my liking." She wrinkled her nose

I giggled slightly. At least someone agrees with me.

"So, do you agree?" Aimee asked me. "As soon as the problem back at Kaden is sorted out, I'll be back and you can go home."

"A-Alright, Your Highness." I took a deep breath in. "I'll do it."

I'm not sure if this is a good idea, but the bakery isn't doing too well and Mother and Father are getting old as well. Soon I would be married off to some stranger too...

"Good. I'm so glad! Now, Let's think up of some lie to tell your parents..."

"But your highness-" I began but I was interrupted by another girl who suddenly appeared next to us. I shut my mouth instantly.

"God, Aimee! Why are you still here?" The girl asked Aimee.

"Sorting out some stuff..." Aimee looked at me with a smile. "Don't worry, Taeyeon. Tiffany is on our side."

I let out a sigh of relief. Phew! I almost got us busted!

"Oh my god..." Tiffany examined from top to bottom. "She looks just like you."

"I know right? And she is the key to our problem." Aimee said. "Taeyeon, Let me introduce you to my Lady-In-Waiting, Tiffany Hwang." 

I bowed slightly, "Pleased to meet you, Lady Tiffany."

"Oh you don't need to be so formal! Besides, You're going to be the Princess now" Tiffany smiled and patted my shoulder.

"Good thing you came,Fany. We were wondering what to tell her parents." Aimee told her.

"Are you a baker, Taeyeon?" Tiffany asked me.

How does she know?!

"Yes, Lady Tiffany. But how did you know?" I asked her.

She chuckled, "I noticed the blueberry pie on the ground."

Ah, Yes of course!

"What about it, Fany? " Princess Aimee asked her.

"We could just tell her parents that she has been hired as live-in baker for the Royal Palace. I'm sure her parents wouldn't argue." Tiffany cooked up the perfect lie.

"That's perfect! What do you think, Taeyeon?" Aimee and Tiffany looked at me.

"I guess they wouldn't suspect anything..." I was a little uncertain.

"Alright then! Oh, Look at the time! I better hurry. Anyway, Taeyeon, Tiffany will accompany you everywhere from no on. She will teach you how to be a Princess." Aimee informed me.

" Princess Aimee..." I said, mindlessly

"Huh What?" Aimee looked at me with a confused expression.

"Oh! I just meant to say that Lady Tiffany will teach me how to be you..." I said.

Aimee smiled gently. "I never said that. Tiffany will teach you how to be the Princess of Kaden. If you were to behave like me, then you'd be out of the castle in no time" Aimee laughed.

"That is so true!" Tiffany exclaimed with a laugh.

I giggled too. I'd always thought that Royals were narcissistic and proud. But Princess Aimee is so kind

"I better hurry now! My car is parked at a distance." Aimee hugged Tiffany tightly.

I smiled looking at their friendship.

Suddenly, Princess Aimee wrapped her arms around me. I was surprised, but returned the hug. 

"This must be fate." She whispered into my ear.

Huh? What does she mean?

She broke the hug and looked lovingly into my eyes. "I'm proud of you, Taeyeon."

Then she turned away and began to walk. "By the way, if you do meet Mrs. Yuna, Tell her Princess Aimee sends her regards!" 

How does she know my mother's name?!

Before I could question her, She was far gone.

I looked at Tiffany who was practically beaming at me.

"To be honest, Aimee was a handful. You're more like my type of girl. Come on!" She linked her arm with mine.

"But Lady Tiffany! In these clothes..." I pointed out to her.

"Oh yeah...Wait." She took off her jacket and pulled it over me. Then she adjusted my skirt so that very little of it could be seen. "This would suffice till we reach your room. Oh and just call me Tiffany, okay?"

I nodded. Tiffany was really helpful and kind. 

Wow...I can't believe that a few minutes ago I was mourning over my life and now...now I'm going into the Royal Palace!

As we walked into the gates, I felt as though I saw a shadow moving from the wall next to the gate. Before I could think too much about it, Tiffany brought me inside the palace.

***

"Oh My God! " I exclaimed when we entered the palace. It looked even more grand from the inside. 

Long glass panes, stained glass panes, soft carpets, huge chandeliers, velvet curtains...and finally, the gold-plated thrones. I could feel my breath taken away.

"Beautiful, Isn't it?" Tiffany sighed.

I was too awe-struck to say anything so I just nodded.

"Anyway, This is the Royal court. All public proceedings take place here. We will gather here for the public address tomorrow to mark the beginning of the event." Tiffany briefed me. 

"You see the stairs on the right? Those lead to the guest rooms and all other public rooms such as the library, the ballroom, the dining hall and such. However, The stairs on the left lead to the rooms of the Royal family. Going there without permission is off-limits."

I nodded and made a mental note to myself to never go there.

"The door behind the stairs on the right lead to the Garden. You can go there in the evenings or when the Prince takes you there." Tiffany informed me.

"Alright!" I said as we walked up the stairs. 

"The first floor contains the Ballroom and Dining hall." Tiffany told me as we reached the first floor. "The second floor contains The library and the recreation room"

By the time we reached the third floor I was out of breath.

"And here are the guest rooms!" Tiffany and I stood in front of a long hallway. 

"Woah..so many rooms" I said, awes-struck. Back in my house, we had only three rooms. A kitchen, a bedroom and a bathroom.

"Yup!" Tiffany grabbed my hand. "Your room is the 6th one down the hall. Don't forget that okay?"

"6th room down the hall...got it!" I said.

We walked to the room very silently.

"You must be wondering why it's so quiet" Tiffany said softly.

"I was...How come?" I asked her.

"Well, all the Princesses arrived early in the morning today so they're resting right now. Aimee had to leave as soon as she arrived though."

"I see." I paused. "Tiffany...What would Princess Aimee have done if she didn't bump into me earlier? Would she have left the contest? "

"I doubt that. She would never want to insult Prince Kris by withdrawing. I guess she would've just tried to come back as fast as possible." Tiffany answered.

"Oh..." I said thoughtfully.

Tiffany stopped in front of the 6th door and pushed it open. It was a magnificent room. The bed sheets and curtains and walls all complemented each other. There were many suitcases kept inside too. Two maids welcomed us.

"Princess Aimee! Lady Tiffany! " One said. "We've been waiting for you both! I'm Haru and this is Alice. We are here to serve Her highness"

"Ah, thank you for your patience, ladies!" Tiffany smiled. "Princess Aimee needs to rest right now. Would you please?"

"Yes, My Lady. Please do let us know if you need anything." After Alice and Haru walked out of the room, Tiffany closed the door.

"Those were your personal maids. They will dress you up and do your make-up." Tiffany told me.

"I feel weird..." I chuckled nervously. 

"Aw, Taeyeon..." Tiffany hugged me. "It's okay. I'm here for you. No one will ever find out. You'll be the perfect Princess."

I felt comforted by Tiffany's words. She had hope in me.

"Thank you, Tiffany." I smiled.

"Okay now" She broke the hug. "Time for the real deal. There are certain rules for this contest which I need to tell you."

We both sat down on the comfy bed. I couldn't wait to sleep there at night.

"The Rules:

 1) During the period of the contest, you are not to be romantically involved with any other person except the Prince. 

2) Only the Prince has the power to eliminate you from the contest. No other authority is allowed to do so.

3) You are allowed to roam around the palace only in the evenings. But the Royal rooms are restricted without permission from the Prince or any other member of the Royal family.

4) You are allowed to write letters to your family and call them once a week.

5) You are not to cause harm to any of the other participating Princesses or else you will be disqualified.

6) You are kindly requested to never refuse the Prince's desires. No matter what he asks for...." 

"The Prince's desires...?" I questioned Tiffany.

"You know...kissing and...that." Tiffany trailed off.

"T-that? Why do they expect us to do that?" I said shyly.

"I don't think Prince Kris is that type of person...but in case he tries to do something to you, just scream. You are a Princess, not a hoe" Tiffany reminded me.

"If I scream, someone would come to help?" I asked her. 

"Well, You will surely gather the attention of someone. " Tiffany reassured me.

"I might hit him...My mother taught me self defense." I told Tiffany.

"Haha! sure you can hit him! It'll probably bring him back to his senses." Tiffany giggled and so did I.

Tiffany opened all of the suitcases and arranged all the dresses and shoes in different closets.
I watched her closely as she did so. 

"Oh I almost forgot to tell you, You'll be dining with the Royals today. But you won't officially meet Prince Kris until tomorrow." Tiffany said, as she folded a beautiful evening gown.

"So I'm just going to be seeing him today..." I understood.

"Yes. Now, You do know table etiquette right?" Tiffany asked me.

"Yeah, I do. My mother used to work in a palace before. So she taught me their table manners." I chuckled.

"Ah I see. Okay Princess Aimee, you better take some rest now. Your maids and I will be here in the evening to dress you up for dinner." She smiled and walked towards the door.

"Tiffany! Aren't you going to stay with me?" I asked her. I was super nervous at the thought of being away from her.

"Of course I am! but this is your room. My room is with the other Lady-in-Waitings. Just press the red button next to your bed if you need me. I'll be going now. Sleep Taeyeon." Tiffany ordered me with a smile and then went out of the room.

I could only sigh after she left. I was playing such a dangerous game. If I got caught...Both Princess Aimee and I would be in deep trouble. I cannot let her down.

Yes, Kim Taeyeon. You can do this.

I took a deep breath and fell back on the bed. 

Mmm...So comfortable.

Before I knew it, I was fast asleep. 

***

"Aimee! Wake up!!" Tiffany shook me.

"Hmm...just a bit longer." I turned away from her.

"No Aimee! You're already late. Dinner begins in half an hour! Come on get up, get up!" Tiffany literally dragged me out of the bed.

"I'll change her clothes, Lady Tiffany." Haru announced.

"And I'll do her make up!" Alice announced. Then the both got to work.

My eyes were still closed and I wasn't bothered that I was being stripped by a maid.

"I'm sleepy..." Suddenly I felt a splash of water on my face. I regained my senses immediately.

"Oh thank god you're awake." Tiffany put the empty glass cup on the bedside table. She was wearing a wine red evening gown and looked really elegant in it.

"Omo...I'm so sorry. EEK! " I realized that I was standing half-.

"It's okay, Princess. We're not bothered by it." Haru chuckled.

But I am! 

Haru began to dress me and Alice wiped my wet face with a towel. The evening dress was dark blue from the top and white from the tips. It looked so pretty on me.

Then Alice made me sit in front of the mirror and combed my hair neatly. Then she applied make-up on my face. She didn't overdo it. Only some blush and red lipstick. Then Haru picked up some silver heels for me.

I stood in front of the mirror after everything was over. I couldn't even believe that the beautiful girl in the reflection was me.

"You look amazing!" Tiffany cheered. "Prince Kris is going choke on his dinner!"

I giggled shyly. Even Haru and Alice looked proud of me.

"But we're late! All the other Princesses have left. Hurry!" Tiffany pushed me out of the room. I stumbled because of the heels.

"The dining hall is on the first floor. Go now! I'll be with you in a minute." Tiffany told me and then walked back into my room.

I lifted my dress and walked slowly. I'd never worn heels before so it was kind of tricky.

But I'm late! What if they embarrass me because I'm late?!

With that thought in mind, I began walking briskly. The first set of stairs were okay. The second set were tough but i made it. My legs were trembling as I walked. 

When I finally reached the first floor. I smiled victoriously. 

I made It!

 Just then, someone banged into me from behind. I tripped and fell on my knees. I wasn't hurt. But I was really hoping that nothing happened to the dress or shoes.

"Damn it. I'm so sorry." The person helped me up. 

"I'm okay-" My mouth went dry when I saw the person who helped me. 

Perfectly sculptured face, Dazzling brown eyes and gorgeous hair...

Here he is. The heir to the Throne of Astra. Prince Kris Wu.

Oh no! It's Prince Kris! What do I do?!

He looked surprised too. Then a smirk came over his face. I pulled away from his arms

"Are you hurt, Princess? " He asked me.

"I am not, Your Highness." I answered and looked away from him.

He chuckled, "Not used to wearing heels, are you?"

"I'm sorry but If a person just barges into you from behind, you will fall too." I snapped.

"Feisty." Prince Kris gazed into my eyes, making me blush profusely. "Not a good trait for a Princess."

I gulped. "It's better than looking like a statue all the time."

Prince Kris laughed. "I agree. Well, Pleased to meet you, Princess."

"Same here, Your Highness." I replied. Kris really did not seem like the person I imagined him to be.

"Call me Kris. No honorifics between us." Suddenly, He put his arm around my waist causing me to twitch. "Let me you to the dining hall since we're both late."

"Your hand..." I indicated my discomfort.

"Princesses should be used to having an arm around their waist." Prince Kris smiled wickedly. 

"Yes, but I doubt the arm always belongs to a conceited Prince" I looked away from him as we both began walking down the hallway.

Kris laughed again. "You're really something different. I like it."

"Is that what you said to all the Princesses?" I sneered.

"You're the first one." He smiled. "And probably the only one."

I bit my lip to hide my smile. "That's good."

Now I am no longer Kim Taeyeon of the Third Section. 
I am Princess Aimee of Kaden, Participant of the 'Be My Princess' competition.
And I have to win. 


~


Author's Note:

I hope this chapter gives you all an idea about the concept ^^
I'm sorry if it's kinda boring ^^'
Hope you like it! 
Don't forget to subscribe and comment! :D

xoxo, Dani~