‣ ‣ ‣

Sweater Weather

sweater weather

pairing: chanyeol/jongin

college!au

1,026 words

pg-13

 


 

Chanyeol is gripping onto the bouquet of flowers so tightly that his knuckles turn white. The toes of his feet lightly lift up and down on the cement, tap, tap.

 

He’s nervous, obviously, but it isn’t the first time that Chanyeol has tried this, tried to ask Jongin out, that is. Today is different, though. Today is going to be special, because today is the day of the dance competition at his college. He’s not on the dance team, no surprise, but Jongin is.

 

He’s been trying to score a date with Jongin, the leader of their college’s dance team, for weeks. Though Jongin has never directly declined Chanyeol’s offer, he doesn’t exactly agree to it either. The thing with Jongin is that he’s too focused on school, too focused on dancing to have time for anything—or anyone—else.

 

When Jongin leaves the stage, Chanyeol gets up on his feet and strides over to where Jongin is, bowing and thanking the people that have come to watch him and the rest of the team perform. Chanyeol stands on the side of the bleachers and waits for Jongin after he takes a group picture for memories. Chanyeol shoots his hand up as soon as Jongin looks in his direction, waving wildly to catch his attention.

 

He looks amazing tonight, Chanyeol thinks. Jongin is wearing a tight, crisp white button-down with a pair of shiny black pants. His hair is styled back with gel instead of covering his forehead and hanging over his eyes like usual.

 

Usually, Jongin would give him a small look of pity, one that makes Chanyeol feel inferior to the latter, but this time, a wide grin grows on Jongin’s face when he spots Chanyeol waving to him, and he starts walking towards Chanyeol.

 

“Hey,” Jongin says, circling his hands around Chanyeol’s neck and pulling him into a hug. Chanyeol just smiles and wraps his long arms around Jongin’s waist. Chanyeol can feel Jongin’s breath, hot on his collarbones. Chanyeol’s heart is beating so loudly in his ears that he pulls back, worried that Jongin can hear it in his chest.

 

He holds out the bouquet of flowers, an arrangement of pink and white tulips, Jongin’s favorite. “T-These are for you,” Chanyeol mutters, embarrassed at how he suddenly turns into a high school girl in front of her crush. Jongin beams and gratefully take the flowers from Chanyeol’s shaky hands.

 

“I love them. Thank you, hyung, really.” Jongin and Chanyeol make eye contact for a few seconds before Chanyeol breaks away. He nods in appreciation and gives Jongin another quick hug. The dance team is meeting for an after-party at a local restaurant.

 

Chanyeol starts walking away, dark red tinting his cheekbones before Jongin calls his name.

 

“Chanyeol—wait!” Jongin runs back to where Chanyeol is. He wraps his slender fingers around Chanyeol’s arm and takes a deep breath. “Come by my place later,” Jongin says. “Please. I have to tell you something.”

 

Chanyeol nods, unable to form any words right now. Jongin smiles again before waving goodbye and leaving with the rest of the team.

 

‣ ‣ ‣

 

10:43: hyung, i’m back. can you come over now?

 

Chanyeol slips his shoes on and is out the door as soon as he gets Jongin’s text. His hands are sweaty and slippery while holding onto the steering wall, nervous about what Jongin has to tell him.

 

The door to Jongin’s apartment opens before Chanyeol even has the chance to knock. Jongin has changed his clothes, wearing a pair of light-colored sweats hanging low on his hips and a sweater.

 

Chanyeol’s sweater.

 

(“I’m stealing this,” Jongin announces, cradling Chanyeol’s sweater.

 

“But that’s mine,” Chanyeol argues. “It’s my favorite sweater.

 

“And I’m your favorite person, so it’s only fair that I get it.” Jongin gives him a goofy grin, laughing at Chanyeol’s pouty face.)

 

“Hi,” Jongin says, opening the door wider. Chanyeol slips in, taking off his shoes before turning back to Jongin.

 

Jongin rubs his hands together, lips twisting. He’s nervous. Especially in such a small place. Jongin’s apartment isn’t exactly amazing. It’s a single bedroom apartment with a small living room, bathroom, and kitchen. The fridge is barely big enough to survive with.

 

Chanyeol looks around and sees the flowers that he had given Jongin are on the table in a tall glass vase. He smiles to himself before settling down on the couch. He sits down and admires the back side of Jongin as the latter bends down to peek into the fridge.

 

“Want something to drink?” Jongin asks. He holds a carton of orange juice in one hand and a can of beer in the other. Chanyeol nods towards the can of beer and Jongin grabs two cans, using his foot to close the fridge door. The sofa shifts when Jongin sits down and Chanyeol can barely breathe when he feels the heat of Jongin’s thigh next to his.

 

Chanyeol reaches for the TV remote and turns it on, letting the noise of the TV run in the background of the awkwardness between them. Jongin opens both cans and hands one to Chanyeol. They clank their cans together and Chanyeol focuses on the the TV, trying to control his heartbeat.

 

Jongin grabs the remote suddenly and shuts the TV off. “Hyung.”

 

“Hmm?” Chanyeol hums. He looks over at Jongin and sets his beer can down on the table. Jongin shifts closer and sits crossed-legged across from Chanyeol.

 

“I…” Jongin nibbles on his bottom lip.

 

He does that every time he’s nervous, Chanyeol thinks. Jongin grabs Chanyeol’s hand and plays with his fingers, massaging them before placing Chanyeol’s large hand on Jongin’s knee,

 

“I really like you, Chanyeol, a lot. And I know that I haven’t given you a complete answer about how I feel, but I think—I think I’m ready... to give you a chance, hyung.” Jongin swallows down the lump in his throat, feeling small and hot under Chanyeol’s gaze. “I know that it’s taken me a long time, but I really want to be with you now. I’m ready now, hyung.” Jongin smiles meekly at Chanyeol.

 

“Really?” Chanyeol grins.

 

“Really.”

 


* hyung - what a younger male calls an older male who is close to him (brother, close friends).
* sunbae - what a person of a lower status (in school or work) calls a person of a higher status.


that was terrible i'm so sry
might do an actual oneshot of this, like a prequel
or not
but maybe