Lovers Come and Go. Friends Stay for Eternity.

Nae Yeoja Sondaejima

 

Kwang Min burst through the door of Boyfriend's dorm and slammed it shut. He shot straight into the room he shared with his Young Min hyung and pushed him out. This surprised Dong Hyun who was in the living room playing a song in his guitar.

 

"Yah! Yah! Kwang Min-ah! I'm not done with my project! Yah!" Young Min yelled. He banged on the door. Dong Hyun came around to ask what happened.

 

"Young Min-ah, what happened?"

 

"Molla, hyung. He just went straight into our room and pushed me out," said a bewildered Young Min.

 

Then Hyun Seong and Minwoo came into the dorm.

 

"Minwoo and I were in the basketball court when we saw Kwang Min pass. What happened to that guy?" Hyung Seong asked. Dong Hyun and Young Min shrugged.

 

"What's all the commotion?" asked Jeong Min as he came out of the bathroom.

 

"Kwang Min hyung locked himself in his room," said Minwoo.

 

"Kajah," said Dong Hyun. "Leave him alone for a while. He'll come around, especially since I'm preparing dukkbokki for dinner."

 

"Yay!" squealed Minwoo and Young Min. Such cute kids.

 

As the voices at the door softened and disappeared, Kwang Min lay on his bed and sobbed quietly. Even the toughest boys have to let out a few tears when someone stomps on their hearts.

 

Later, Dong Hyun was right, because Kwang Min finally joined them in time for dinner. But before that he slipped into the bathroom and removed any signs that he had been crying an hour ago. But his eyes are still red and puffy, so he couldn't do anything but leave it alone.

 

He silently sat in his seat between Minwoo and Young Min. Dong Hyun, Jeong Min, and Hyun Seong sit at the other side of the table. Dong Hyun was still in the kitchen putting the last touches on the dukkbokki. Minwoo and Young Min were tidying up the game consoles.

 

"Young Min-ah? Call Hyun Seong and Jeong Min. I think they're at the court again. Tell them it’s dinner time already," said Dong Hyun as he placed the dish on the table. He glanced at Kwang Min but said nothing.

 

Soon the boys bounded into the dining area. When they noticed Kwang Min, they had enough sense not to ask him what happened yet and not to whisper around him.

 

“Arasso, let’s eat,” said Dong Hyun. The boys dug in. Kwang Min tried his best to be upbeat and everything, but something always goes wrong.

 

When everyone has gotten his share of the meal and has started, Dong Hyun proceeded to ask Kwang Min what was wrong, with utmost care, of course.

 

“Kwang Min-ah, did something happen this afternoon?”

 

Kwang Min fell silent. He stopped eating his favorite dish in the world.

 

“Kwang Min-ah, you know you can trust us. We’re concerned about you, you know,” said Hyun Seong.

 

“Yah, namdongsaeng, just say it,” said Young Min.

 

Kwang Min mumbled one name and they all understood, except for Minwoo.

 

“Jiyoung.”

 

“Your girlfriend, hyung? Omo, did you two fight?” MInwoo asked innocently. Poor kid’s too innocent!

 

“Anii, Minwoo-yah. When boys get all depressed like this because of their girlfriends, it’s usually because they broke up,” explained Jeong Min in a quiet tone.

 

Minwoo’s eyes rounded.

 

“Actually,” said Kwang Min, “we broke up about a week ago. I didn’t tell you guys. But today, I went biking, right? Well, I remembered those times when Jiyoung would have her arms around my waist and riding behind me.”

 

Dong Hyun allowed a brief pause before sharing a story.

 

“You remind me of my first girlfriend. Her name was Hyuna and we shared a common passion for music. I always played the guitar for her, and she always wrote songs for the two of us. When she was gone, I suddenly lost my fondness of music. I wouldn’t have found it again if I hadn’t been forced to audition in Starship and hadn’t met you guys.”

 

“Aww, hyung, you never told us that,” Minwoo cooed.

 

“You were forced?!” Young Min said.

 

“I used to have a girlfriend too. We were totally sweet on each other. We would even brush each other’s teeth. So much changed in my life when she had to go away,” shared Jeong Min.

 

“I had a crush on this girl in my old high school. I was a jock, she was a queenka. But she always hung out with me. I even taught her how to play basketball. I knew she only liked me as her best friend, but I intended to court her. I only found out one day that she and a guy called Byung hun were already dating. She said she didn’t tell me because she knew I would be hurt,” shared Hyun Seong. “I threw away my favorite basketball because of that. I told myself I’d never play again, until now.”

 

“I used to have a girlfriend too,” started Young Min, but Kwang Min in.

 

“Hyung, you never told me that! Did umma and appa know?” He asked, surprised.

 

“Neh, they did. I didn’t tell you because you were too young,” explained Young Min.

 

“We’re the same age!”

 

“I meant you were too innocent.”

 

“Aish, whatever.”

 

“Anyway, so I had a girlfriend. She was always at our place. Whenever she was there, I asked umma and appa to keep Kwang Min in our room. I admit, I was kinda shy being sweet around her and letting Kwang Min see. It felt awkward to me.”

 

“Some twin you are,” scoffed Kwang Min.

 

“Anyway, we always took selcas, play around all childlike, and sometimes I would find her falling asleep, so I would Let her sleep on my lap. Soon enough though, I would tickle her awake. One day, I couldn’t believe it when I saw her with a guy called Chunji in a bar. They’ve been dating for weeks under my nose! When I got home, I burned all my selcas with her. She lied to me. I hated her for it. But, a few days after that, I would find myself missing her. Whenever I take pictures with my Polaroid camera, I would always whip around to show her, but of course she wouldn’t be there. I grew depressed.”

 

“Yah! I want to share something too!” Minwoo popped up.

 

“MInwoo-yah, don’t tell me you had a girlfriend!” Jeong Min said.

 

“Aniyo~! I had this sort of dream. My girl and I would always be picnicking in my favorite park, just enjoying each other. When I lose her, I wouldn’t know what I’d do,” shared Minwoo.

 

“So what did we learn today?” Dong Hyun said, all teacher-like.

 

“Lovers come and go. Friends stay for eternity,” recited Jeong Min.

 

“No, I was kinda talking about, ‘Not letting anyone touch your girl’, but that’s good enough.”

 

They all laughed. Life does have its ups and downs, but you’ll always have friends who have experienced the same thing.