9AM

Messages

“Wake up,” a husky voice purred in Byunghun’s ear. He let out a pathetic mewl, tugging the bed sheets over his head, further burrowing into the mattress. “You have a class at nine.”

Class.

The word sounded familiar, but Byunghun couldn’t think with the thick fog that had set in his brain—a fog that kept his eyes sealed shut and beckoned gravity to pull him down further into the plush furniture. Only tired noises passed his lips as he tried to distance himself from the light touches from the figure that had taken up the previously empty space on the bed, more words filling the air about “class” and “overslept” –whatever those meant. He could feel the fog clearing, but he held the sheets in place, not ready to leave rest behind.

“You have a paper due in less than an hour, Byungh—“ the deep voice was cut off as Byunghun’s torso darted up from the bed, eyes open and wild, a mess of blonde hair tangled on his head. The words finally penetrated his brain. He did, indeed, have a paper due in his class that was to be held in less than an hour. “Finally.”

“Why didn’t you wake me up, Jonghyun?” Byunghun spoke in a raspy voice as he fumbled with the sheets, pushing them off of his body. He rolled right over the other male, unable to control his body properly, letting his thin frame fall to the cold wooden floor—a wakeup that cannot be matched. “I’m going—“ he glared up as he pulled himself up from the floor, wobbly limbs making a comical visual for Jonghyun, who could hardly stifle his laughter.

“I’ve been trying to wake you for an hour, lazy” Jonghyun said in a snarky voice as he stood from the bed, crossing his arms in front of his chest and looking down to the smaller male, who looked pathetic in comparison—in addition to the height difference, Jonghyun had shown great discipline at the gym that was evident from his muscle tone. “It’s your grade, not mine,” he added flatly before pointing to a mug on their shared desk space. “Coffee. Go.”

Although Byunghun refused to admit that he was thankful for his roommate’s kindness, he let his lips curve into a smile while he forced his fingers through his hair, ultimately covering the disaster with a snapback. The time was short and to use each moment wisely, he multi-tasked while Jonghyun read quietly, sprawled across his bed. Only the occasional smacking noise could be heard as Byunghun went through his skincare routine—a ten-step process that took precedence over anything else and was crucial to his visual appeal. As his class neared, he could only snatch up possibly-dirty clothes from the floor and shove a cold toaster pastry into his mouth.

Regardless of his masterful skills at playing against the clock in the morning, Byunghun hadn’t finished his paper.