| CH 01 ||

Ferris Wheel

 

Reflections of tall buildings shone on his silver sunglasses as wind swayed and bent his dark messily styled hair. One arm leaned lazily on the rolled down window whilst the other easily maneuvered around traffic.
A sound went off, and his free arm reached for the sleek black phone. Silver letters glinted in the sunlight ‘BXL’. Looking at the caller, he smiled before saying,
“What up,” in English.
“Dude where are you?” the voice demanded –also in English.
“I’m at school,” he replied calmly, “you?”
“…” a short silence ensued before the voice said finally, “Just hurry up, the hag is gonna rip your throat out if you’re late again,”
“Alright alright,” he said before hanging up.

Swerving into the parking lot down the road from the school, he grabbed his side bag and casually strolled towards the entrance. A guy stood waiting,
“YAA! LEE. HONG. KI! If you insist on walking like a grandma I’m gonna shoot you!” he said. Realizing the clarity in which he spoke, he smacked his head.

Girls ran up to windows upon realizing who had finally arrived. Even through the glass of the classroom windows, squeals of delight could be heard.

OMG THERE HE IS. I CAN’T BELIEVE I SAW HIM TODAY.

It’s Hong Ki Oppaaa<3!

MOVE !

How cool…

Hong Ki looked down at himself, satisfied; he pulled off his shades and flicked his head around, mimicking that of a CF he recently saw. All the girls swooned at this. All the while Jong Hun rolled his eyes.
“Take your time man,” Jong Hun said sarcastically, pretending to have a hissy fit.
“Take it easy… the fans can hear us,” Hong Ki replied happily.
The girls just wouldn’t let up,

Oh. My. Gosh.

They’re speaking English again… how y…

“I never knew you loved your fan girls so much,” Jong Hun smiled, twitching a little.
“Hey. My fans are my life,” he said whilst blowing a kiss to a random chick at a window. The girls went wild,

HE DID IT TO ME.

No it was ME.

A cat fight ensued. All the girls grabbing and kicking for the imaginary kiss.
Hong Ki and Jong Hun momentarily looked up before chuckling to themselves.
“Dude quit it, Miss Park ain’t gonna be too happy about injured girls,” Jong Hun warned.
“I’m just having my fun,” Hong Ki replied innocently,
“Yeah. Maybe next time,”

The two entered the classroom just on time.
Miss park sat at her desk, nerd glasses on and chocolate brown poncho today.

Does she really think she looks good? Hong Ki wondered before sitting down in his usual seat surrounded by the guys. All of which looked some what dead with their heads on the table.
“Sup man,” Seung Hyun said, lifting his hand for a knuckle grind.
“…” Hong Ki stared at him, “Hang over?”
“Yeah,” he groaned, putting his hand back down after Hong Ki quickly slammed his knuckles into his.
“Hot Girl?”
“Yeah,”
“Her house or yours?”
“Hers of course, the old man wouldn’t be too happy to see someone other than my future wife,” he mumbled.
Hong Ki laughed softly before letting his friend rest.

“ALRIGHT CLASS, SETTLE DOWN,” Miss Park finally yelled, squeezing out from her table. Why she even bothered trying to look stylish, no one knew. Her fat rolls sagged almost all the way down to her cankles and she sweat bucket loads –even in winter, whilst wearing her designer fur coats.
 She was completely and utterly ignored as people ran around throwing paper planes, sat on desks and gossiped.

Not in the mood for noise, Hong Ki sighed.
MissParkowes me for this he thought bitterly.
Sighing dramatically, Hong Ki cupped his face.
“MAN it’s so NOISY in here,” he pretended to complain, speaking Korean for the first time that day “What do you reckon Jae?”

The once lively classroom stopped, putting everything down, whilst waiting for Jae Jin’s answer. His head lifted off the table,
“Hm? Did I miss anything?” he mumbled.

“ALRIGHT EVERYONE,” Miss Park said finally, “Now that that’s settled, sit down in your proper seats.”
Everyone obliged (even the boys), whilst every now and then, their eyes would flick to Hong Ki’s annoyed face.

Before Miss Park began again, she was interrupted again. This time by Min Hwan running in out of breath. He ran straight past the cross-armed Miss Park and straight to his desk. opened,
but again, before she could say anything, her eyes flickered to Hong Ki’s expectant eyes.

You owe me they read.

She closed .
“Damn kids,” she muttered, before doing roll call.

 

“Come on, we’re already late,” a figure walked up to her, his footsteps distinctly changing when transitioning from the grass to the bridge,
The girl didn’t say anything, her hair flicking up and down in the soft wind. Her body language exuded a message of But the view’s so beautiful…
“We can look at this everyday if you want, but he’s not going to be too happy if he finds that you’ve been skipping,”
Still, the girl didn’t say anything, yet he knew what to say,
“That’s because you’ve been a good girl for the past 8 years, keep up your track record,”
Sighing reluctantly, she picked herself up and dusted herself off.
“Let’s go,” she said, her soft melodic voice wouldn’t have been heard by a normal person, but he could hear her.
He grabbed her hand and they walked off together slowly.

 

It was lunch time. Students sat in their little groups, chatting and eating. Whilst a freshly awoken bunch of four boys sat around a table lazily, speaking in English.
“If you guys can’t stand that much, stop.” Hong Ki said teasingly.
“It was my birthday!” Min Hwan argued defensively, “the least you could do was enjoy yourself,”
“Hey, I go to clubs all the time…  so I have higher standards I guess,” he rolled his eyes.
“What?!” offended, Min Hwan lifted up his fan-made packed lunch, threatening to lob the thing at him at any moment, “you saying my party wasn’t awesome?”
“No, I’m just saying you picked the wrong place,”

“Oh…” Min Hwan put the rice down, before saying again, “Ohhh…”
“So which ones do you go to then?” Seung Hyun interceded,
“I’ll take you guys some time.” He said finally,

Jae Jin walked  back into the classroom, smiling from ear to ear.

“Here comes the cub,” Jong Hun teased, earning himself a punch in the shoulder from both Seung Hyun and Jae Jin,
“It’s in my blood,” he said nonchalantly, knuckle slamming all the guys.
“Auntie’s 13 years older than uncle,” Min Hwan stage whispered for extra effect.
Ignoring him, Jae Jin grabbed his desk seat and planted it next to Hong Ki, pushing Jong Hun’s seat further over.
“HEY, WHAT GIVES?”
“I told you last time, I get dibs on right seater,” he pouted,
“WHEN?” Jong Hun asked unbelievingly,
“When you were dead drunk and agreed to it,” Jae Jin said matter-of-factly whilst Jong Hun’s face went from anger to confusion –trying to recall the event.
“And this is why you were able to seduce the English teacher,” Hong Ki looked at him admiringly.
“ I already told you,” he turned back to Hong Ki, “it’s in the blood,”
“So what’d you need this time? An A?” Seung Hyun smirked, “or did you just get a little impatient before your 2 week mark?”
Jae Jin scoffed in disbelief,
“I was just getting weekly updates,” he said defensively, in an almost annoyed tone, “like what we were going to learn this week,” 

“…” Everyone stared at him, the cute one out of all of them, angry.
“Do I see our Jay being JEALOUS?” Jong Hun slapped Jae Jin’s shoulder,
“What would I be jealous of?” Jae Jin pouted whilst muttering, “I mean, it’s not like there was anything special about the two new transfer students or anything…”
“AHA, you ARE jealous,” Jong Hun laughed, “she must’ve been going on about how  hot the two guys were,”
“There’s one girl,” Jae Jin butted in, not letting Jong Hun finish,
“WHAT?” Min Hwan almost yelled, “We’re getting another CHICK?”
“Yeah…” was all Jae Jin said whilst nodding sadly,
“Thank god,” Min Hwan said relieved, “I’ll finally be able to see a new face around here,”
“You don’t even like the self-proclaimed queenka?” Seung Hyun asked suspiciously, “what was her name again…?”
“Who knows…” Min Hwan answered, “and who uses Kingka and queenka anymore?”
I do,” Seung Hyun said defensively,
 “Tch, what ever,” Min Hwan said before turning back to Jae Jin, “so is she hot?”
“I don’t wanna talk about it,” Jae Jin pouted,
“Hong Kiiiiiii,” Min Hwan pretended to whine sadly. Every one turned to the now bored Hong Ki,
“What?”
“Jay only listens to you…”
“No.”
“But…but..”
“No.”
Min Hwan batted his eyelashes, putting on his best high voice, but in turn sounding like a trans,
“Please… oppa,”
The guys guffawed. Even Hong Ki who was trying to keep a straight face couldn’t help but laugh at that.
“What?” Min Hwan said defensively,
“…PSCH… BAHAHAHAHA” Hong Ki finally laughed out loud, “You sound like a TRANS,”

Sighing, Min Hwan lay his head on the desk and closed his eyes.
“Just tell him Jae, it won’t hurt,” Hong Ki laughed, nudging Jae Jin, “plus you’re not even jealous of the girl, it’s the guy she was talking about right?”
“Yeah what ever,” Jae Jin pouted,
“So?” Min Hwan’s head snapped back up, “Give us the juice about her,”
“She’s ugly,” Jong Hun and Seung Hyun both said with absolute straight faces and serious voices. This brought on a whole new round of laughter before Jae Jin finally answered with,
“I don’t know, she only talked about the guy… she didn’t even tell me his name…” he sulked.
“Coz she probably knew you’d kick his if you found out,” Jong Hun laughed again.
“So are they coming next week?” Hong Ki asked, finally interested,
“No… they were supposed to be here today…” Jae Jin trailed off when he heard the sound of a motorbike passing the school.

 Moments later, two people walked up to the school hand in hand. It piqued some of the student’s curiosity as to who they were as they pulled off the school uniform, each with their own different style.

Who’s that?

OMG That guy is soooo hot!

Are they together?

The questions flung across the room.
“I guess that’s them…” Jae Jin scowled, only to be received with laughs and snickers from the other guys.
“Don’t worry, she loves you for you,” Hong Ki patted his head, “that cougar didn’t choose you for no reason,”
“…” “Stop calling her that-“
“So, the late comers have finally decided to grace us with their presence,” he spat, already feeling some what bitter towards the new students. How cocky could they get?


“Relax man… It’s not the end of the world” Seung Hyun lightly punched Hong Ki’s shoulder,
“?” Hong Ki shot him a confused look.
“You’re probably imagining how ugly you think she is, huh?” Min Hwan teased, “You’re so pessimistic,”
“Shut up,”

Lifting both his hands up in a defensive position Min Hwan just smiled.
“Hey man, I bet she’s hot… I wonder what class the two will be in?”
 “Maybe he’s scared that the transfers will actually be good looking and will take over his reigning kingka seat” Seung Hyun stage whispered again, howling with laughter.

The end of break bell rang. Still no sign of the new students.
Right until Miss Park squeezed back through the door and waddled behind her desk, motioning for the two figures to wait outside first.
“Class,” she yelled over the noise, “we have new students,”
Instead of calming down, the whispers grew louder,

OMG is that them?

We’re so lucky… we have all the hot people

Damn I need to start dieting

The two walked in hand in hand, proceeding to stand in front of the class.
Miss Park waved her arm at them, causing a wobble in her arm fat.
“Introduce yourselves,”


The moment the guy’s face appeared, Hong Ki, Min Hwan, Seung Hyun, Jong Hun and Jae Jin all gasped at the same time.
“Holy , is that Will?” Jong Hun demanded
“Is it?” Seung Hyun asked,
“He looks so mature now,” Jae Jin added
Min Hwan stayed flabbergasted while Hong Ki’s eyes widened.

Why is he back? A flood of memories hitting Hong Ki yet again.

.flashback
“HYUNG!” the little boy cried, “Please don’t go!”
“I’m sorry man,” the older boy tugged at his sleeve, “appa said I had to because of a promise he made,”
“But that’s your appa’s business not yours! Don’t leave me hyung! Don’t leave US”
“It’s not that simple,” was all the boy said before walking away

.end

“Hyung…” Hong Ki whispered. Finally noticing the girl, he looked her up and down.

Bleach blonde hair curled slightly at the end with a baby blue ribbon tied on top. Her eyes were lined with light brown liner around them making them look even bigger than they already were. Her uniform was slightly modified to suit her figure. Her skin looked paler than the white on her uniform, almost translucent, making her look sick. Finally what shined in the sunlight was a gold bell looking very odd on a silver necklace.

 Won bin on the other hand, called him self Will when they were in America. It seemed as if he had turned 180 degrees from his past self.

Thinking back, Hong Ki saw the shy little boy, blushing at every single pretty girl that walked past, refusing to talk. Looking at him now, Will towered over the new girl at what looked like 180 cm something tall. His uniform was slightly messy, slightly untucked with his first button undone. His silver dog tag glinted in the light.  Looking around, Will spotted the guys, a flash of recognition in his eyes before saying in Korean,

“Hello. My name is Won Bin,” he gestured to the girl, “and this is-“
He got cut off by Miss Park,
“Let the girl introduce herself!”

Won Bin looked at the girl before asking her something in what sounded like Japanese… opened, yet nothing came out. Won Bin nodded slightly before telling the teacher,
“Miss… Park? Even though she can understand it, she can’t speak Korean that well… if it’s okay…”
“Then why is she in Korea?” Miss Park announced, annoyed, “and at such a prestigious school at that?”
“She came here to learn,”

With nothing else to say, Miss Park shrugged and nodded,
“This is Ji Min,” he said, before looking back at Miss Park.
“Okay Won Bin you go sit there,” she gestured to a seat on the far side of the room, “Ji Min can sit here,” she gestured to the empty seat at the front.

Ji Min immediately hesitated, speaking a different language all together… Chinese? Her voice slightly audible now,
“I’ll ask.” Won Bin said in reply in English, before facing Miss Park again,
“Ji Min isn’t used to the culture, if it’s alright could we sit next to each other?” his deep voice echoing slightly.
“I don’t see the necessity,” Miss Park spat, her chin fat wobbling as she scoffed,
Before either of them said anything else, Ji Min spoke to Won Bin,
“Tell her you’re the only one who can understand me,” if Hong Ki hadn’t been listening intently, he wouldn’t have heard the English she just said. How many languages can they speak?
“I’m the only one who can understand her,” Won Bin nodded and repeated in Korean.

Annoyed to the max, Miss Park raised her voice slightly, spitting as she talked and pointed,
“You in the back, move here, you two just sit down.”

And that was it. In less than 5 minutes, those two managed to get exactly what they wanted. Walking towards their desks, Won Bin wrapped his arm around her waste as they walked, earning more whispers from the class

I told you they were together

They’re so cute together

Just as Hong Ki was about to turn away in disgust that his friend had ditched them for a girl, Won Bin said something in Japanese before she turned around, staring at him.  

 


“Dayum,” Min Hwan stretched, “what a day,”
“Tell me about it,” Seung Hyun replied, “did you see Will and that chick chatting in the back? What were they talking in?”
“Just shut up,” Jong Hun said as they all gathered into their cars,

Looking over, Jae Jin saw the black BMW Hong Ki was approaching,
“DUDE, What’d you do this time?”
“What?” Hong Ki asked, feigning innocence,
“Why’d your dad give you that cheap piece of crap again?”
“I like it,” Hong Ki defended,
“He probably broke another girl’s heart at the hospital again,” Min Hwan teased, sliding into his yellow maserati.
“Again?” Jong Hun asked confused,
“HEY. IT WAS A ONE TIME THING,” Hong Ki raise his voice, frustrated, “I can’t believe you guys haven’t already forgotten that,”
“It was memorable,” Jae Jin smiled,
“Heck yeah,” Seung Hyun chuckled, “your dad’s face was priceless!”
“Just shut up and follow me,” Hong Ki said, jumping into his car.

 Driving like mad men twisting and skidding everywhere, until Hong Ki stopped on  the other side of town. Bar banners flashed different colours of fluro. Hundred of people walking through the street had little pallets of food on them, or were holding a beverage of some sort. A mirage of couples hand in hand or with arms around each others waists walked by, looking at the guys standing in awe.
“I never knew about this place,” Min Hwan exclaimed, eyes alight, “this is amazing…”
 “second that,” Seung Hyun stood beside him, also in reverie.
They both looked at each other for 2 seconds before high fiving each other and running into the club.
“Jeez those two,” Jong Hun said in a gruff tone, yet his eyes were also alight “don’t know when to calm down.”
“Seriously Jong Hun?” Jae Jin asked, “You mean you aren’t phased by these awesome lights and hot women?”
“Not at all,” it was blatantly obvious he was lying.
“Oh alright then,” Hong Ki walked up to Jae Jin, nudging him on the arm, “then we’ll go ahead, you just stay here and look after the cars alright?”

Jong Hun’s face went bright red,

“HELL IF IM EVER GOING TO SIT BACK AND WATCH YOU GUYS GET LAYED,” he stomped past them whilst they laughed it up.
“So what do you think?” Hong Ki finally asked.
“About what?”
“The club.”
“We haven’t even gone in yet…” Jae jin complained.
“First impressions?”
“Good, now can we go in now?”

Laughing heartily, Hong Ki pulled Jae Jin in by the shoulder.
“Hey don’t,” Jae jin pushed his arm off, “last time you did that, all the girls thought I was gay…”
“Cub… gay… same thing,” he laughed
“No it’s not… you’re only saying that coz you picked up some chick that night,” Jae jin complained.
“Nah wasn’t interested… she was… annoying,”
“Sure she was,”
“She was!”
 “I bet it’s just coz you’re hung up on that chick at the hospital,”
“No I’m not,”
“The one from when we were like 10”
“…”
Hong Ki’s silence proved confirmation.
“I’ll see you inside,” Jae Jin ran to the booth the guys had saved.
Sighing reluctantly, Hong Ki joined the group of guys who had already reeled in a flock of girls.

 

“Come on,” he said, dragging her out from the car, “I have a present for you,”
“What?” Ji Min asked
“We’re going hunting tonight,”
“Oh?” she said confused,
“Near an alleyway at this bar I used to go to,”
“Really?”
“I know you’ve been really stressed, trying to keep up your weak façade, so it’s just a gift from me to you,”
“yay!” her voice bounced.
“You might have to wait a while though,” he said nonchalantly, “they only come out early in the morning,”
“Oh, it’s okay,” Ji Min sighed, “I guess we can just pass the time shopping or dancing.”
“Walking into the club hand in hand, they went straight for the dance floor.”

 

Having drunken half a table full of drinks yet still not drunk yet, Hong Ki looked at the girls who were fighting for his attention. None of which winning.

When did they get here? He asked himself. Pushing both of them off his lap.

He was bored to the max. All the other guys were still entertaining themselves with the women whilst he sat… bored.
“I’m gonna go outside for a bit,” he practically said to no one, “I need some fresh air.”

Standing up and facing the door, he saw two people walking in hand in hand. One familiar and one not. Sitting back down out of habit, he continued to spy on the two people.
“Hyung…” he whispered, kicking himself for still being so attached to the friend who ditched them for a stupid girl.

Looking at the girl, her hair was a light shade of brown. Her green contacts lit up her eyes as the spotlights danced around the room. Black eye shadow framed her eyes and a slinky black dress and black as night heels.

So his friend ditched his girlfriend for a ? Nice to know he couldn’t commit.
The first thing they did after entering was dance. Looking at them for what seemed like forever, they could dance. Not that swerving your body and jumping up and down crap, but they could actually dance. Hearing the crowd of people around them cheering, they performed moves that Hong Ki believed impossible for the girl to do in the dress she wore, flipping and sliding etc.

Finally, after 2 hours of watching them dance non-stop, the two held hands and just left.
What the hell? Hong ki said to himself, who does that?
Being the overly curious boy he was, he got up with the intention of following them, even home if he had to. What was his friend doing?

“Hey, where you going?” Jong Hun asked, holding a girl on either side of him.
“Outside,”
“Why?”
“I need some fresh air… I might even go home…”
“But it’s only 2…”
“I’m going,” and with that he half walked half ran off.

“Should we follow him?” Seung Hyun asked
“Why should we?” Min Hwan pulled away from his pash to say.
“I’m going too.” Jae Jin said, getting up, obviously not interested in the young girls leaning on him.
“Me too.” Jong Hun followed.
Seung Hyun and Min Hwan, shocked at the swiftness of their decision got up and followed them as well.
Something was obviously up.


 

Strolling out hand in hand, the girl’s melodic laugh softly echoed.
“Oppa… that was so fun!” she said merrily before they turned a corner.
“Well well well, what do we have here?” one gang member of the pack said as they slowly approached them.
“Hyung! We have such a good catch tonight!”

Before the guy could answer, the two had let go of each others hands, and were adjusting their clothes.
“Hehe oppa, I just knew you’d make tonight so much fun,” a grateful smile on her face. Finally facing them, her cute smile turned evil.
“Just let it all out okay? You need to be more composed,” he said whilst pulling off something from her neck.

“Ya! What are you two on about!”  the guy who had originally talked said.
The guy who lead the pack smiled back at the girl, forming a kiss shape with his lips before shoving a cigarette into his mouth whilst watching what they were gonna do.
“How about we make a deal?” he asked, pulling his cigarette out and puffing out a cloud of smoke.
“You leave the girl with us, and we’ll let you live,”

The guy’s face stayed emotionless as he looked at the girl whilst gripping the chain he stole from her neck tight.
“Seriously… do it as quick as possible okay?” he told her in English.
“Hehehehehehe,” was her only reply. Her neck now lay bare of the one thing she held the closest to her heart, so she felt empty, and giddy.
I WANT IT BACK her head screamed. FINISH THEM. GET BACK. FINISH. GET BACK.

The guy disappeared into the shadows.
“That’s a smart boy,” the gang leader said happily before facing her, “that boy knows how to do business.”

 As he turned and looked at her, she was in a strange half standing half crouching position. Her eyes deadly. Before he could yell out the order, her figure disappeared.

A howl of pain from a chorus of men pierced the night air.