I'll Miss You

Before U Go

 

I still remember the time when we broke down the headquarters of illegal dealers. Our men dropped from the ceiling, surprising the evil doers. You, me, Yunho hyung, and Haneul busted the front door. Do you remember how we knocked out every single criminal? I do. Haneul was amazing. Yunho hyung was too. And so were you. The fight was over in 2 hours.

 

Not long after that, Haneul fell sick. You didn't have enough money to make her well soon. But you were always with her. It was then did someone hire you to be a sharpshooter and kill the man's enemies. You were always an excellent shooter. And you didn't have a choice: you wanted Haneul well. So this man handed you a book. At first you were puzzled, but he told you that this was how he would tell you his orders. He would give you codes, and he knew you would understand because in our team, you were known to be the code hacker.

 

The man handed you the money before you did the job because he felt he could trust you. You instantly paid to give Haneul the operation she needs to get better. You didn't tell her where you got the money.

 

The next week, you got your first assignment. You got this code and you cracked it easily. It said: "Kill witness." You knew what it meant. You got dressed in black clothes and a low cap. You loaded a sniper and propped it at the top of a building and waited for your target.

 

Finally, they came out. But along with the witness are Haneul, Yunho hyung, and me. This surprised you, but you still did your job. You were careful not to hit the three of us, but you expertly shot and killed the others around us. I saw you get away, but at that moment I didn't know it was you.

 

Yunho hyung and I reviewed the strange killing scene. Yunho hyung found a camera which recorded the rooftop of the building from which you shot from. He recognized you even if the cap you wore was covering your eyes. We know you that well.

 

The next day I confronted you. I had a gun with me because then I didn't know if I could still trust you. You were mad at me. I was mad at you too. I couldn't believe you would betray your friends. You got at my face. You told me exactly why you did it. I couldn't believe it. I so wanted to just shoot your brains out, but you were still my friend, deep down inside. I did put my gun at your temple, but at the last second I shot at the sky. I scowled at you and left you alone.

 

It drove you crazy that night. You knew you were doing the wrong thing. You knew you will eventually kill us three. But you have to do it. Or else he'll go for Haneul. You thrashed about in your car. Then you received a message from your "boss". Another code. You flipped through the book to crack the code. It said: "Kill Chang Min".

 

Kill me.

 

You have to kill one of your best friends. This was beyond what you were paid for. No one can pay you any money enough to kill your friends. So before you targeted me, you made way to make the headquarters know where you were. You knew very well that they would send me and Yunho hyung in pursuit of you. You gave then the coordinates to where your "boss'" hideout is without letting him know, and you waited with him there. Sure enough, we came in in 30 minutes and the team instantly took your "boss". Yunho hyung and I stayed behind with you.

 

"Don't take me," you said, sobbing softly. "I'll tell you what my latest mission is. I have to kill you, Chang Min-ah. But I couldn’t do it. They don't want me back. But don't take me prisoner. Let me free, and rest assured I won't do anything again. I only did this for Haneul."

 

"Haneul's dead," Yunho hyung said. You looked up at us with disbelief.

 

"You lie. You lie, Yunho-yah," he croaked.

 

"I don't. An NDI officer never lies. So believe me when I tell you that Haneul is gone," Yunho hyung said coldly and quietly.

 

"I did all this, just to find out in the end that my beloved girl has died," you said. "Leave me alone."

 

"Hyung," I said, trying to console you. You were the closest to me in our team. It's not easy losing a friend.

 

"I said leave me alone!"

 

"Chang Min-ah, kajah, he has made up his mind," said Yunho hyung. I sadly followed him out. I cast one last look at you. You wouldn't even look up.

 

That was the last time I ever saw you.