prologue

and when you smiled

“Prince Junmyeon, here is your breakfast-” the maid’s tray clatters to the floor, a hard thud followed by the continuous clangs of metal resound in the kingdom. A light pitter patter of footsteps arrive, probably to check up on what was making the noise.

 

The maid grabs the running person by the shoulders and whispers, “get the king-the prince is gone.”

 

-

 

The queen throws her arms up in despair as the news of her one and only kin disappearing reaches her ears. She is in a frenzy-where is her dearest son? Wherever he is, will he survive? She is sure it wasn't a kidnapping case-she trusted everyone in the country with her life-and the only possible deduction was that Junmyeon ran away.

 

“Your majesty-your majesty, i have brought with me a note that i found, resting on the prince’s bed.” The maid from earlier comes running, her apron askew and face flushed. The queen accepts it, her hands trembling, and reads it out loud,

 

“Dear mother, father, the servants-

When you read this i would be gone. This is just an assurance for you to not worry at all-I am fine. Do not come looking for me, and continue on with your normal nights.

 

The reason why I ran away, you ask? It’s just-mother, father, you haven’t been giving me any time for myself. The life in this kingdom is hectic, much too busy for my liking. I have decided to take it upon myself to leave for a while-just like a holiday. I will come back soon, do not worry.

 

Regards, Kim Junmyeon.”

 

“So the boy wanted some time to himself. Is that such a crime, dear? I say we let him be. The boy would be fine by himself.” The first words that the king speaks are imposing, and somehow noticeably reassures the queen. She nods once, swallows thickly, and rests her back against the throne.

 

“We shall wait for his return, then.”