fin.

wake up

It was a generally accepted rule within the dorm. Wendy woke up first. Breakfast would be prepared for the most part before the rest of us were awake. Except for Irene. Irene sometimes helped with the cooking. The addition of Yeri had her waking up early, too. But Wendy still woke up first.

I remember the mornings well. Four knocks to the door of Yeri's and Irene's room before she stepped in to wake them up. Soft whispers that gradually got louder when the maknae refused to get up, giving Wendy the "Five more minutes, mom..." response one would expect from any sixteen year old. Irene would chime in. The effort of the both of them was needed to get Yeri up. But she was young and was juggling an education next to a career in Red Velvet. Of course she was tired. Wendy had often called in to report Yeri as absent. She was weak when it came to the youngest. 

But most mornings, Yeri would proceed to get ready. Irene would take over the preparation of breakfast. Joy would be rolling and moving about above me if she had not already occupied the bathroom. And I'd keep my eyes closed. A light smile would grow as I heard footsteps nearing our room. I had to seem asleep. It was a ritual. Some kind of tradition. A small trick I'd play on her every single day. 

Thinking about it now, she was most likely aware. But she enjoyed the moment as much as I did...

Wendy would tiptoe closer. I'd try not to peek at her and continue the illusion, something I got better at over time. Joy would whine if she were still in the room and make haste to get out of the room. 

"Seulgom..." She would whisper, a vain effort to try to wake me. But I was already up, listening to the sweet melody of her voice. I would move around just a bit, she would scoff. She was probably pouting too. If only I'd peeked more often. I loved her pouty face.

Her murmurs to wake me up got louder as she shook at my arm, until she'd sigh, admit her defeat. Something she often refused when she was awake. But in the mornings, rules were different. It was too early to try and beat me for her. In the mornings, for a few moments, the entire world was ours. 

I would feel her warm breath on my skin as she leaned closer. I would smile just moments before our lips collided, her nose softly bumping into mine. Never did I feel happier. Winning number one on all the music shows in the world was nothing compared to the happiness I felt when our lips touched.

If only I couls live in that moment forever.

But she pulled away. Far too soon to my liking. She tried to look angry, but we both knew she felt the same rush I did. She'd break into the cutest of smiles, call me a stupid teddy bear. I'd answer by telling her I was her stupid teddy bear. She would roll her eyes, but she was unable to stop grinning as she took my hand and led me out of my bed. 

That's how mornings went. How they were supposed to go. How mornings still should be... 


 

I swallowed thickly as I got up. Flowers fell from my grip. My sight was blurred and my eyeliner formed streaks down my cheeks. 

"Why did you not wake up first that day..?"