Final

Problem

a/n: this is the worst garbage i have ever written i am so sorry

~

“I- Wendy, help me. It’s becoming a problem.” Irene hugged a pillow, taken from the other girl’s bed to her chest tightly, peeking up at the girl laid across the sheets languidly, phone in the air and finger swiping furiously. Wendy gave a small hum of agreement to her last statement, eyes not leaving her phone for one second.

“I agree with you there. Seriously, I don’t see what the problem is.” Irene glared at her in the most disapproving way she could, hoping that her gaze could somehow burn a hold into the side of the younger girl’s head, and she would finally turn around and listen to her problems. She thought that was best friends were for. But hell, Joy wasn’t even there. She was hanging out with Yeri again, some girl Joy had become acquainted with while hopelessly drunk, which was apparently way more important than sitting inside and listening to the poor girl’s lament. Obviously, she was wrong in that assumption. She and Wendy were having so much fun without Joy and Yeri, whoever Yeri might be.

“The problem is that I’m really gay and she exists and that does things to my poor gay heart.” Wendy rolled her eyes, letting out a small exasperated sigh. Rude.

What exactly was this “problem” of Irene’s? Well, to put it bluntly, it was Kang Seulgi.

Kang Seulgi was the girl sat next to her in math. And although they very rarely spoke, the older girl near worshipped the fairly normal girl sat beside her. To her, Seulgi’s blonde hair was like her halo, her smile was the second coming of Christ. Or so she had described to Wendy, who had just given her an odd look and asked her never to say those words to her face again.

But seriously, it was a problem. Irene was good at math, and she would very much like to stay good at math as well, but this girl? This angel sent from God? She was hindering her progress. She found herself spending less and less time mastering quadratic equations, and more and more time studying Seulgi’s eyes, Seulgi’s hands, Seulgi’s lips, Seulgi’s everything. She got a B in the last test!

It would probably help if she was a total unapproachable . But no. Seulgi was completely and utterly adorable, and Irene found herself helplessly gravitating towards the girl more and more with each interaction. Like when she caught her sleeping, and had the common human decency to wake her up. She watched the girl shoot up, an adorably startled expression painted on her face as she looked around, before her eyes fell on the other girl. She watched her suddenly break into a sunny, beautiful smile as she whispered “thank you” to her. Irene genuinely thought she was going to melt.

“Why don’t you just, I don’t know, talk to her?” Irene gasped, loud and over dramatic, placing a hand over her heart in mock shock. The sound made Wendy jump, effectively dropping her phone on her face with a small disgruntled and undignified snort.

“Son Seungwan! I cannot believe that you just said that to me!” Talk to her? Impossible. No. It was not going to happen. She had no real reason to talk to her outside of class, aside from the obvious very crippling crush she had. She would get suspicious for sure. “She’s gonna know I have ulterior motives, she’ll figure it out. She’ll know I’m a homogay. What if she’s not a homogay?” Wendy looked over to her for the first time, opening to say something before being cut off by more rambling. “I mean, straight girls are weird. They’re all convinced that you’re all, “haha no homo” when you say they’re hot, but that’s not what you mean. No. Full homo.” There was silence for a few seconds before Wendy finally spoke up.

“Are you done?”

“.... Yes.” Wendy sits up, her phone sliding off her face and onto the covers unceremoniously. She ruffles a hand through her hair, taking a small breath in before speaking.

“Look, I don’t know what you expect is gonna happen. But it isn’t gonna happen if you don’t at least try and have a conversation with her which isn’t about borrowing an eraser. Just strike up a conversation about, , I dunno, how crap you find school and go from there.” Irene shot her a dubious glance and Wendy countered with a knowing look. “Trust me, all people wanna talk about how crap they find school. Everyone.” Irene shuffled a little, holding tighter onto the pillow and burying the lower half of her face in it.

“..... Mm k.” She quickly lifted her face out of the pillow with a scowl etched on her face, pointing at Wendy accusingly. “But if this backfires, I am so holding you responsible.” The younger girl put her hands up, eyes wide.

“Alright, ok, ok.”

~

Math was next. Oh boy.

Breathe, Seulgi. Everything will be fine.

Seulgi made her way down the corridor quickly, head bowed as she stared at the small square in her timetable, the words “MAT” scribbled into it. It was just another math lesson, where she wouldn’t listen and stare at the girl sat next to her, then ask for something, like an eraser, just so she could hear her voice, squeeze in a few precious moments where she could think she’s talking to me, oh gosh, she’s cute and she’s really talking to me before the moment was all too quickly over. Except it wasn’t just another math lesson. She had pinky sweared (or pinky sworn? She wasn’t sure) with Yeri that today would be the day she finally actually talked with Bae Irene and stopped “being a pissbaby”, as the young girl had put it. It seemed like the girl didn’t fully understand that Seulgi was the human embodiment of a bumbling elephant in a china store, and she couldn’t pick up girls nearly as easily as the younger could. Christ, she was two years younger than her, and she had a girlfriend (the ever mysterious “Joy”. Yeri absolutely swore that she went to their school, but she had never seen her. Will she ever know? Probably not). Seulgi needed to up her game, she was starting to feel inadequate.

Ugh, but Irene was just so... perfect. She was ridiculously pretty, all light yellow hair and sparkly eyes, and smart, and well organised. Seulgi knew that she couldn’t really compare to her in any way. Besides, she was probably straight. She found that girls that perfect always tended to be, unfortunately.

Ugh, she needed to get a grip. Irene was right there, sat down in her usual place.. Seulgi gulped. No. You can do this. Just go up to her.  With her new found confidence, she strode up to her usual spot, sitting herself down. She stole a small glance toward the older girl quickly. She had her eyes trained on her desk, as if she were very deep in thought. Should she really....? No, ok, no more waiting. She just needed to say something.

“He-“
“Hi-“ Seulgi awkwardly faltered as the other girl turned at the same time as her, effectively cutting her off. Oh dear. She felt a slightly embarrassed blush tint her cheeks. Irene’s eyes went wide andn she stuttered for a few seconds. Was she... flustered? Seulgi looked at her curiously.

“I-I-I uh, I just wanted t-to... uh...” Seulgi frowned, watching her flail around silently. “S-school.... it’s , isn’t it?”

“Uhm.... yeah.” Seulgi mentally smacked herself. She could have had a conversation; she could have actually talked to her. She was an idiot. Why couldn’t she just reply with something smooth as , like “not when you’re here”.  Just as she was contemplating slamming her head against the desk, the other girl did so, startling her out of her lament.

“Ugh, I don’t- Wendy told me to and it didn’t work and Joy’s out there ing staring at me-“ The other girl frowned. Joy? She slowly turned her head, looking toward the door. Sure enough, there was a girl peeking out of the window on the door with a smirk on her lips. A pair of eyes barely peeked over the top of the window in front of the taller girl. Seulgi squinted. Was that Yeri...?

“I just- , I’m sorry, I’m sorry. I’ll... I’ll just stop talking. I’m dumb and you’re cute and it’s ruining me.” Seulgi blinked dumbly. She was cute? Something was wrong about this situation. Why was it Irene, the perfect one she spent her math lessons pining over that had her face pressed into her desk, blushing a very bright pink? Well, it’s not like she could pass up this opportunity. She turned away from the other girl, quietly scribbling in her book with furrowed brows.

~

“Error 404; Irene.exe has stopped working.” Irene groaned as she heard Joy’s voice, heavy with amusement next to her. The class had already ended, and Seulgi had already left, yet Irene still sat at her desk, staring down at the grubby wood with a defeated expression. She heard Joy sigh. “Wendy was right, you really are making a huge deal out of nothing.”

Out of nothing? She basically just rejected me!” She threw her hands up in the air, before bringing them back down to cover her face. “I’m gonna die alone. Alone and Seulgiless.”

“Hey, look at this!” A sweeter voice chimed in, and Irene parted her fingers to see who this sudden invader was. A small girl, slightly younger than them both, stood by Seulgi’s desk, waving a piece of paper triumphantly with a eating grin. Joy immediately sprung up from the desk she was sat on, making grabby hands at the paper.

“Oh my god, Yeri, give it to me, I need to read it.”

“It’s not yours.”

“Yeriiiii.” Joy whined, and the younger girl rolled her eyes, a smirk playing on her lips, folding the paper up and throwing it Frisbee style to the other girl, who caught it with minimal fumbling.

As she read over it, her expression of concentration slowly turned into a similar grin to the one that the other girl was wearing. Irene squinted at her suspiciously, hands slowly coming down from her face. “What? What is it?” Joy looked up, a whole lot of smugness in her eyes.

“Read it.” She chucked it at the girl ungracefully, laughing loudly as it bounced off the girl’s forehead, eliciting a loud squeak from her, before settling on the desk in front of her. She whispered a small curse, directed at Joy, and grabbed the paper, gingerly opening it back up again. She read through the small note again and again, her heart pounding at 100 miles an hour.

“Hey! Sorry that I didn’t answer you in class... I was a little nervous ^^’’

You told me that I was cute, but really, you’re the cutest one here, who are we kidding? :P

Call me with THIS NUMBER-“ A number was scrawled in large digits, with a small drawing of a bear next to it. “And we can meet up sometime and talk about how school is!

-Seulgi xxx”

Huh. Maybe Wendy’s ideas weren’t so after all.