Final

Other than the obvious
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Other than the obvious, there were many things wrong about my current situation. It was only recently that I had stitched up together the left over pieces of my courage and wisdom to step out of my routinely overloaded work and apartment sobs; and I always thought of myself starting slowly.

It’s been weeks since I’ve come to the realization that I cannot expect life to last forever; as perfectly as I wanted it to. Three years, is yet – a long list of days to count, each that started with strangled lips and bitter-sweet coffee served on bed. He’d left; a reality that comes slowly knocking on my door.

I only wanted to step out, tell myself that there’s more to life than the misery I drown myself in, seated watching the old collection of movies eating ice cream from a tub that’s only dug in by one spoon. But; unfortunately, my statement was interpreted far worse than I could have imagined it to.

To cut a long story short, to not bore you with my boring life before Seoul – I have two friends in my life. Two very close friends. You can interpret that in several ways as well; I suppose. I chuckled, lifting up the glass of beer. The music is too loud, and I can’t see a thing properly; with all the flashing lasers and glistening disco balls. Behind me, there were lots partying, dancing and having fun. To the side of me, there’s a drunken woman, crying out her eyeliner and the story of her high-school boyfriend that broke up with her recently. The bartender is having trouble serving her glasses she constantly changes minds with, and I grin stupidly, because ‘at least I didn’t do that’.

Youngjae and I have been friends since Collage. Daehyuns’ a friend we made when we got ourselves jobs, and it wasn’t so long when I spot the two ers kissing in the cafeteria. Not just me for the record; honestly. Daehyun’s a juvenile delinquent who apparently didn’t grow out of those shoes just because he graduated High school.  If his tangled messy black hair and talkative thick lips wouldn’t point you to the stubborn mule inside that handsome face of his; then he probably have you wrapped around his pinky with his charms.
It quite shocked me when Youngjae started dating him, however – because they were polar opposites of each other. Youngjae is polite and well mannered, uptight and strict; whilst Daehyun has a carefree air around him. It wasn’t a bad fit, I think. They balanced each other.

 All in all; those were the things obvious to be wrong about my current situation.

Ten minutes ago, Daehyun and Youngjae were attached to me like glue, showering me with compliments they don’t really mean, buying me a drink and forcing me into conversation. When I actually got myself to drink down just one mug, these little motherers had left me alone to dance. I chucked down another gulp of beer, and felt my tongue roll inside me. It wasn’t as if I specifically liked the drink, it made my throat burn; and certainly had much worse effects later with time – as in me feeling easily drowsy. Alcohol was never my cup of tea.

But soon I had finished my second cup, I honestly wanted to drink no more. But I’m either under stress, or just ridiculously nervous – because those dickheads set me up on a blind date I never asked for. All I knew was that his name was Bang Yongguk, and that he will be here soon.

My cellphone dinged, and I it pulled out of my jean pocket to read a text message from my dear friend, Yoo Youngjae.
‘I’m sorry Himchan, but we got to go. I gave Yongguk your phone number. Have fun.’

The scowl on my face simply couldn’t have grown wider. I dumped my forehead on the counter and grunted. I could see them starting off nicely, until their pants grew tight and they had to get out of the place, Daehyun dragging Youngjae out. I must be grateful that at least one of them is sensible enough to let me know, at least. I groan in frustration once more, and the inner debate starts if I should wait for this stranger or not. Since Youngjae isn’t here to force me into dinner with the man, I don’t find myself feeling guilty when I pick up my coat and stand to leave. ‘What a waste of time’.

My phone dings once more, and I look to find the stranger have texted me. ‘Sorry about Daehyun. He’s a bit of an . I’m here. Where you at? – Bang’. I find myself grinning at the text, because I could certainly relate to that one. Thinking it would be rude not to meet him, since he was already here; I text back.

‘Pub.’

I stare at the empty reply and sigh. Usually I’m not this reserved. I was the social butterfly in Collage; and I still think I am – but, I see that I’ve lost bits of myself on the way. I hope he’s not offended, and I debate if I’m going to buy another glass of beer or not.

“Kim Himchan, right?”

I feel myself shrieking at the low voice that croaked behind me, tapping me on my shoulder. Hopefully I don’t scream, because there’s a stupid smile plastered on his face, ear to ear. He had an odd smile; with all his deep red gums showing. I think I stared at him. So I blink, saying yes. He’s too close. The man pulls back, offering me a handshake.

“Bang Yongguk.” He introduces. His eyes are fixed on mine as he gets himself seated, pulling off his coat in the process, revealing him to his tank top, everything about him too exposed for my acquiescence. I clearly ran my eyes down the obvious tattoos down his shoulder-blades and bellow, prominent muscles along his tall build. He brushes off his brown locks away from his eyes as he turns to smile at me, and I find myself gulping.

‘Youngjae really hit a nail with this one.’ I think, because he, was y without effort put into it – I could say from his lacking wardrobe priorities, but it hadn’t matter. It surprised me a little that he was as tall as I, however – because I’m fairly taller than the rest.
“You look surprised.” He said, and I kept silent, wondering how to answer that. Yes, because I didn’t really think I’d find myself thinking

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter