Unaccidentally in Love (Oneshot)

Unaccidentally In Love

It was the tenth time that Jieun swear she’ll start doing her 101-word story project but all she did was stare on a blank Microsoft Word page, completely clueless on what to write. This barely happens. She almost always had ideas when it comes to creative writing – from aliens to humans, from a rubber eraser falling for a Staedler pencil. Almost always… but not today.

“Can you please stop tapping your finger against the table? It’s annoying..” Her friend was at her place tonight and it was very clear that he isn’t so pleased with Jieun’s habit. His black hair was messed up a little, brought by the constant ruffling of it when he gets frustrated from losing a game in his phone.

Just to piss him off, Jieun continued to hit her nail against the wooden table. It went slow and then faster and faster that her friend grunted in exasperation, hand gripping tightly on his gadget. “ this! I lost again. Can you just-- Ugh, girls are always noisy.”

“Oh well, Mister Lee. This is my place so I thought it was clear that I can do whatever I want without asking for your permission... If you wanted a quiet place, you should have gone to the library… or a graveyard.” She shot a glare at the other before tossing a throw pillow at him.

“Libraries are full of people reading books that aren’t meant for me. As for a graveyard, I am not very sure if I’ll belong though I’m obviously drop-dead gorgeous.” He smirked at her and for a while, Jieun thought it was lovely. But she shook off the thought from her head immediately. He was her best friend since they were in middle school and they promised to support each other no matter what. Well, it doesn’t always happen. Most of the time, they bicker at each other over nonsensical things like kindergarten pupils fighting on who’s better between Superman and Batman.

“Maybe even the dead wouldn’t be so happy to see you there, Taeminnie.” She snorted before earning a glare from the other. Of all the things that he hated, being treated like a child would be on top of the list. He hated how soft his features were and how the elders treat him like he’s just learning his ABC’s. He hated how people mistaken him for a girl when he tried to grow out his hair in high school. And most of all, he hated it when people call him ‘Taeminnie’ as an endearment.

“How many times do I exactly have to tell you not to call me that?” Taemin sighed, ruffling his hair once more in frustration.

“Forever?” She chuckled softly, absent-mindedly tapping her fingers on the table.

“So you wanted to stay with me forever?” He smiled. This time, it was not a teasing smile. It was more of a sweet one – the ones that you only found in people who have tasted ice cream for the very first time. And for some unknown reason, Jieun was left speechless. She has almost always had a counter-attack for her best friend. Almost always… but not today.

She shrugged once, trying to drag the time as she thought of a decent answer. Of course, she wanted to stay with him. He was her friend- her best friend. But at the same time, she didn’t want to admit it to him.

“Just.. Just so I can make fun of you even if we’re oldies.” She nodded her head firmly as if she’s trying to convince herself. Jieun was not sure if it is just because of that.

He shook her head, a smile creeping on his face after hearing her reply. It was indeed a lovely sight and Jieun cannot help but to smile back, eyes forming into twinkling crescent moons. And for the first time in forever, she felt something different –like that popping sound popcorn makes when it’s cooked, like the first spark a firework does when it’s lit, like the first ray of sunshine after several hours of night.

It was scary yet funny at the same time because she knew what was going on but she didn’t want to accept it. Her heart fluttered for a couple of seconds though it felt like hours, her fingers frozen on the wood, unable to make any sound.

“You’re a cheeseball, you know? But I love that idea. Let’s stick together and make fun of each other ‘til our hair turns gray.” Taemin flashed a grin, watching her carefully from across the table. His teeth were showing, his eyes staring right into her soul.

Then, her heart didn’t spark this time, it blasted fully. A thousand pieces of thoughts scattered on her brain… A thousand fragments of hope erupted from her heart. She can already feel her face burning and she wished that he didn’t notice the blush creeping on her face this time. She looked away and cleared before staring back at her laptop as if the blank page was a really interesting view.

“C-Can you shut up for a bit? I have to finish this tonight.” She stuttered, unable to concentrate because of various reasons she wanted to ignore. 

Taemin just shrugged his shoulder at his friend, not wanting to get kicked out of her apartment. Her place has always been his hide out when he doesn’t feel like going home yet or when they plan on movie and video game nights. This time, it was because of the pizza treat he promised after winning a regional dance contest.

Minutes passed and the living room was enveloped by silence aside from the sound coming from Jieun’s typing and the occasional cursing from Taemin for losing a game level. When he finally got tired of playing, he decided to interrupt the person in front of him by a poke on the arm.

“Hey.”

“What?” She mumbled, still not wanting to make an eye contact. For others, it is probably a disrespectful act but doing so is dangerous.. Because with looking at each other, one will be able to see what the other thinks and feels. Maybe not completely, but a hint of it may hurt or make one hope.

“How’s it with you and Hyunwoo?” His tone was serious yet concerned. Jieun decided that it needed to be answered thoughtfully.

“I said ‘No.’” She tilted her head to have a look at him. For a second, she thought that his lips curved up to form a small smile. It could have actually been there yet he forced himself to not continue. He just nodded, fidgeting with the mobile in his hand.

“What about you and Naeun? Or was it Jinri this time?” A soft chuckle escaped Taemin’s lips making Jieun cringe at the lad being so conceited with his undeniable popularity among the girls in school.

“Nah. I decided to be a single pringle this time… Or until the girl I like starts to see me as a man.”

“And who is this unlucky girl?” She leaned back on her seat, arms crossed over her chest as she finally decided to stare back at him.

“You know… Just someone who can’t seem to finish her 101-word essay today.”

 

 

A/N: What happens when I don’t get a decent internet connection? Ta-daaah!! Kinda cliché but I wanted to do something different from the common ‘hey, I bumped into you and spilled my newly ordered iced americano sorry hehe’ and ‘oops we switched phones let us meet up because sh*t I checked your photos and oppa-material’. And so, I decided to try writing a story that I’m sure a lot have been through. Not accidental love, just the usual kind of love that happens after months and years of knowing each other. I hope everyone liked it. Feel free to leave a comment below or a message in my inbox. Thank you for reading!