#13 Forced Avoidance

When You Loved the Other Half of Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You spent the weekend doing a paper you needed to submit for sociology class and studying for math quiz for Monday, nothing else much. Chanyeol didn’t contact you during the weekend—what would you expect, anyway—but still you felt disappointed that he didn’t have will to contact you. Surprisingly, that issue didn’t bring you too much stress because you really didn’t have spare time. You wanted the sociology paper to be excellent and you studied hard for math quiz because you knew quiz scores could bring your final score up and you had to study hard while you could.

Minkyung was busy with her extra activities during weekend, but she managed to spare her time to teach you math on Saturday night. It was fun to study math with Minkyung because she was such a great tutor (it was you who were slow learner) and you ended up playing monopoly until midnight. Because you missed Chanyeol—but didn’t want to contact him first—you turned the radio on while studying. Listening to his segment made you happy because you could hear his voice and of course his amazing musical talent.

“Why are you always tuning to this channel lately?” Minkyung asked that night in the middle of her tutoring.

“The segment is great, I like it,” you answered, trying not to blank too much because Chanyeol’s voice distracted you so easily.

Fortunately, Minkyung didn’t ask further and enjoyed the segment along with you. Both of you ended up singing along to the song despite it was not really Minkyung’s jam.

“I don’t like listening to slow songs too much. I prefer songs with a lot of beats,” Minkyung said one time. “Ballads make me depressed, but they’re great for breaking-up theme song,” she continued. You remembered when Minkyung just broke up with Kris, she was listening to ballad all the time inside her room with a box of tissue next to her. The bottom line was Minkyung only liked slow songs if the theme was break-up and she listened to it after breaking-up with someone meanwhile she prefer more cheerful songs with more beats on daily basis. You thought it suited her personality perfectly—a dazzling, energetic, and refreshing Minkyung. Remembering your choice of songs—which was ballad, some jazz and some RnB—you thought it was kind of representing yourself as well, the more depressed and deep one. You liked the idea of being the deeper one.

Monday morning, you went to school just fine like normal days, and again you found Chanyeol waiting for Minkyung near the parking lot this morning. Minkyung was smiling widely when she saw Chanyeol at his usual spot, but you knew what she was thinking and you were panicking because of it. She thought that Chanyeol was waiting for you. You knew it, even though she didn’t express it by verbal language. For the sake of Chanyeol’s success, you greeted him shortly with a smile and left quickly although inside you wanted to have a chat with him and probably went to your lockers together before classes.

When you were still arranging your books in your locker, you could see from the corner of your eyes that Chanyeol was walking toward his locker—which was located beside yours—and Minkyung was not too far walking beside him. You hurriedly packed your belongings and stepped away from your locker. You closed the locker a bit hard because you were nervous, making some students startled. Before Chanyeol reached his locker, you were already walking to your class. You didn’t want to talk to him now with Minkyung was around, it could raise Minkyung’s suspicion and expectation even more.

Chanyeol was staring at your back view with questioning look. What is wrong with her? Chanyeol thought. He was staring at you with a concerned look when you almost bumped into another student because you were walking too fast without really paying attention to the front.

“A-yo! Chanyeol!” Someone hit Chanyeol’s shoulder passionately, made him startled and almost shrieked (fortunately, he didn’t. It would be so uncool if he did shriek). Another guy embraced Chanyeol from beside with one arm, as passionate as someone who hit him before, almost made him fall.

Chanyeol looked at the greeters’ faces, and he sighed when he found it was Byun Baekhyun and Luhan who startled him. “Why are you making fuss since early morning?” Chanyeol mumbled.

“For fun,” Baekhyun answered with excited tone.

“Why are you standing here and looking that way blankly?” this time Luhan asked while pointing the direction you just walked.

“He’s hitting on a girl, I bet,” Baekhyun said jokingly. Luhan also smirked to tease Chanyeol. Two of them were raising their eyebrows up and down and laughed like idiots.

“Now, tell me. Who is the girl?” Luhan asked after he calmed down.

Chanyeol felt uncomfortable because Luhan and Baekhyun’s misunderstanding. “It’s not like that, guys,” he avoided answering question. Chanyeol put his arms on Baekhyun and Luhan beside him and started to drag them with him. “Let’s just go to class.”

Luhan and Baekhyun couldn’t help but to be dragged because Chanyeol was a giant compared to them. “Eey, this kid is no fun,” teased Baekhyun while pouting his lips.

“Shut up,” Chanyeol

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter