#11 Chanyeol's Surprise

When You Loved the Other Half of Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You dropped your school bag on the floor near the bed and exhaled loudly. Today was Friday, so Minkyung was hanging out with her girl friends at the café or mall, probably getting a relaxation package at the spa or salon. Minkyung asked you to come, but you didn’t want to spend the rest of the day with Minkyung’s friends who probably didn’t even know your name.

Yeri had a part time job to do until 7 PM and Soohyun got an extra Biology class until 6.30 PM, so you couldn’t ask them to hang out until they finished their business. Fortunately, Soohyun felt sorry for you and Yeri because three of you didn’t get time to spend quality time together these days, so she suggested to meet up at a café near Yeri’s part time job location at around 7.30 PM. You agreed happily to her suggestion, so did Yeri.

You lay down on your bed with your legs still on the floor, feeling tired because you just took the bus home and didn’t get a seat. Suddenly, you remembered your first café tutoring (you didn’t know what it was since it sounded inappropriate to call it a date) with Chanyeol last Monday. The first day you got to know him. The day which explained the reason your mixed feelings these days, and it didn’t feel good because of opposing feelings. The day which made your days way more confusing than ever, and you didn’t know how should react to your decision to help Chanyeol that day—should you be happy that you got a chance to know him? Or should you felt stupid because you realized your feelings late and agreed earlier to help him to get to know Minkyung? For this time, you decided that you were happy that you got a chance to know him after few months having him as your locker neighbor yet you had never talked to him.

You swayed your legs slowly—a habit that you couldn’t understand how it formed—for some time until one of your legs touched your school bag. Ah, right. Chanyeol told you to open your sociology notes at home, carefully. You were wondering why he said that. Was he perhaps doodling something on your tidy notes? Or was he ripped some of the paper? You quickly brushed your prejudice away because you knew Chanyeol wasn’t someone who likes to be mean to others. You got up, sat on the carpet and searched for your sociology notes inside your bag. There it was, squeezed between thick-and-not-appealing history textbook and your agenda book.

You took a deep breath because you felt nervous all of sudden before opening the notes. You flipped the cover carefully, but you found nothing—it was just a normal piece of paper with your handwriting all over it. Then, you flipped another page with rising expectation and you found nothing as well. Confused of what had Chanyeol done to your notes, you closed the notes and observed it from its outer appearance. Your heart was beating fast when you discovered some gaps between pages, as if something had been slipped in there. Not just one—but four gaps. You opened the pages with gap carefully, as you were told and held your breath unconsciously.

Your jaw dropped as you saw a photo between pages, with you as the object. You picked the photo with trembling hands, recognizing the place where the photo had been taken. It was you, admiring blue flowers while you were bored of waiting Chanyeol to finish setting his camera near the Han river. Although the photo was not that clear because it was already evening and Chanyeol took it from the distance, but you could recognize your face as Chanyeol seemed to be focusing on your face—professionally. Your face in the photo was somehow calm and soft, an expression you didn’t know you could make. Unintentionally, your flipped the photo and saw unfamiliar handwriting, which you assumed was Chanyeol’s handwriting because you haven’t seen it before. You smiled unconsciously while reading his writing: Miyeon’s Charms #1: Ignoring red and pink flowers and admiring blue flowers instead. I guess she doesn’t like red roses, then?

You searched for another gap between pages and found another photo which made you burst into laughter as soon as you saw it because you couldn’t believe you could make that kind of expression. Well, that escalated quickly, you thought between your internal laughter. You just acknowledged your range of expression you could make—from a soft expression like a nice girl to comical expression like gagman you watched on TV. It was you, sitting with mouth hung open, widened eyes, and looked up upon the sky while watching the fireworks. You quickly flipped the photo and saw another note made by Chanyeol: Miyeon’s Charms #2: Miyeon really likes fireworks that she couldn’t help but to be awed and make that comical expression without herself knowing :’D

Somehow you felt embarrassed that Chanyeol saw your comical expression—even made comment about it although his comment was fine. A girl who liked a boy usually wanted to be seen as a perfect girl at first, right? Put on make-up, dressed nicely, laughed cutely, suppressed bad habits, etc. All of the minuses of the girl would be revealed through the maturation of her relationship with the boy, and vice versa. Realizing you just ruined your image in Chanyeol’s point of view when you just had known him for like four days or so (see? It was not even a week!), you groaned lightly. Looking at the embarrassing photo again, your pout soon became a slight smile as you were thinking about something. Maybe, just being yourself when you were with Chanyeol would be fine and comfortable instead of pretending to be someone you were not—Minkyung, for example. You exhaled and trying to found another photo. You noticed two more gaps, indicating that there was photo inside each gap, and decided to just took both photos at once.

The third and fourth photo’s object wasn’t you like the first and second photos, it was your handwriting. The third photo was your handwriting—you assumed he picked the tidiest of all pages—and there was Chanyeol’s note at the back of the photo, as always. Chanyeol wrote: Miyeon’s Charms #3: Miyeon-ie’s handwriting is really pretty and tidy. It looks like she typed it with computer instead! It was the first time someone noticed your handwriting—even made a praise about it. Well, except Minkyung, maybe, but she had never made comments on your handwriting.

You put down the third photo and moving on to the fourth and last photo Chanyeol put inside your notes with your scribbles as the object. It

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter