US TOGETHER (MARK)

Our Love

A tall guy dressed up in a hoodie walked along the roadside ignoring others around him. Music filled his head and he was in his own little world…away from people. He casually looked up and quietly making his way to his destination.

            “Hey Mark, wait up…” a girl came running behind him. Her skirts flowed with the wind as he tried to catch the guy. “Mark…” she called again.

But the guy just walked straight, not knowing there’s someone chasing after him. The girl picked up her pace and ran even harder, clutching her books against her chest.

            “I could be in the track and field club if I kept on being like this…” she muttered under her breath.

She managed to yank the guy’s backpack making him stop.

            “Hey, wait up!” she said hitching her breath. She noticed that the guy had his headphone on. “No wonder you can’t hear me…” he rolled her eyes.

            “When did you get here?” Mark asked, shocked to see Ha Eun in front of him. Beads of sweats decorated the beautiful forehead of the long haired girl.

            “I was calling you on top of my lungs but you didn’t hear me…I should’ve known better…” she pointed her finger at the headphone.

The pair continued walking side by side.

            “You know…my mom just got promoted yesterday and my brother kept on bugging her to buy him a new phone…such a brat…” Ha Eun said looking at Mark. “Sometimes I think she favours him too much…”

Ha Eun kept on talking with big hand gestures like she always do. A bright girl with even brighter personality, Ha Eun is the apple of everybody’s eyes at school. She’s a straight A student with exceptional talent in acting.

            “And Minyoung kept on making me take this evil witch role for the musical…don’t get me wrong, I like acting mean but I’m scared if people will think of me like my role…ahhh…” she yelped.

Mark pulled her body close to him as a guy on a bike passed them by. His hands wrapped around her shoulder like a protective cocoon.

            “Watch where you’re going dude!” he yelled. “Are you ok?” he spun Ha Eun around checking if she got hurt anywhere.

            “I’m…I’m…fine…” Ha Eun stuttered. She was still in shocked…not by almost getting by that bike but being so close to Mark. Her heart raced as if she just finished 100m sprint.

            “Be careful where you walk…aishhh!” he growled at her.

            “Mian…” she pouted.

Mark pulled her to the inner side of the road and grabbed her hands. Ha Eun looked at Mark and smiled.

At school…

            “So, I’ll see you at lunch…” Ha Eun tip toed and kissed Mark’s cheek before heading to her class at the end of the corridor.

***********************

            “Why did you date him anyway? He’s the coldest guy I’ve ever seen…” Jia, one of Ha Eun’s best friends said as they walked into the auditorium.

            “Yeah…he’s never been to one of your plays…or practises…he just hanging out with his friends at dance studio.” Minyoung said followed by nods from her other friends.

            “He’s just busy…besides, he needs to prepare for his own dance audition…” Ha Eun defended him. She knew Mark didn’t do anything without any reasons.

            “You’re just blinded by his good looks…” Jimin nudged her.

Ha Eun just smiled at her friend’s words. They just didn’t know Mark like she does…he’s always been the quiet one between them…he never say much unless needed and he liked to be alone if he’s not with his dancing crew. How they end up dating still amazes her…

They met up at a park one night… Ha Eun just came back from her tuition centre when a bunch of guys hassling her. They flipped her skirts and taunting her with cat calls and lewd gestures. She was about to scream for help when Mark came out of nowhere shielding her from the thugs. She knew Mark since they went to the same school but never talked to each other before.

            “You guys better go away before I do something that you might regret…” Mark warned them. He had her secured behind him…that’s the most important thing…keeping her safe.

            “Who are you? Her brother?” one of the thugs said with a smug grin on his face.

            “I’m her boyfriend…got any problem with that?”

Mark and the guys end up being in a fight but Mark easily kicked their asses with his exceptional martial art skills.

            “Didn’t anyone ever tell you that it’s dangerous for a girl to walk alone in the park?” Mark yelled.

            “I’ve been taking this road hundreds of times…nothing happened before…”

            “Thank goodness I was here…” his voice lowered. “Are you okay Ha Eun ah?”

            “You know my name?” Ha Eun looked at him.

            “Of course…come, I’ll walk you home…” he grabbed her wrist.

And like they say, the rest is history. Many were surprised to hear that the belle of the school is dating one of the famous rebels. Ha Eun fall head over heels with Mark’s charm and while her friends said that Mark is just fooling with her but she proved them wrong. After a year, they’re still together.

            “Okay…enough chit chatting ladies…time for practise!” Mr. Park came into the auditorium.

In the school’s dance studio…

            “You’re late!” JB stared at Mark.

            “Sorry…” he answered shortly. Mark went to the corner and began stretching.

            “So, how was your girl?” Jinyoung came stretching next to him.

            “Great as usual…she’s gonna be a great actress one day…” Mark smiled.

He just came back from watching Ha Eun’s practise for the musical. He cannot get his eyes off the girl that stole her heart from the first time he sat his eyes on her. Ha Eun was the girl that came straight from his dreams…long hair, pretty smiles and personality that’s brighter than the summer’s sun.

            “Look, just thinking about her brings smiles to your face…dude, you got it bad…” Jackson laughed.

            “Shut up…”

***********************************

            “So, we should have the scene over here…and Ha Eun…please be careful since you’re nearing the edge…” Mr. Park said as he walked near the stage.

            “Nae saem…” Ha Eun nodded.

The practise resume and Mark’s eyes fixed on Ha Eun. He gets anxious whenever she twists and turns since Ha Eun could be a little clumsy with her feet.

Mark never thought that Ha Eun actually said yes when he asked her out for the first time over a year ago. He was a nervous wreck that day…his friends kept on laughing at him for looking like a lost puppy…not knowing what to do. He ends up saying a few words out of nervousness that night when he went out with Ha Eun. He liked listening to Ha Eun stories about her family…even about her pet cat Deedo.

A sudden scream pulled Mark out of his thought. He looked at the stage and saw students crowding around Ha Eun.

            “Are you ok?” Jimin asked while holding Ha Eun’s arm.

            “I’m fine…it’s nothing…” Ha Eun tried to get up but falling back on the floor when sharp pain struck his ankle. “Oww…” she winced.

Mark rushed to the stage.

            “Ha Eun ah!” Mark kneeled beside her.

            “Mark…what are you doing here?” she was surprised to see her boyfriend. “Shouldn’t you be at the dance studio now?”

            “Let’s get you to the nurse’s office…”

Mark scooped Ha Eun up bridal style and head out of the auditorium leaving students baffled with the situation.

Nurse’s office...

            “Is she gonna be ok nurse?” Mark nervously asked as the school nurse done wrapping a bandage around Ha Eun’s ankle.

            “It’s just minor sprain…nothing serious…” the nurse smiled. “You should be ok before the play big night…”

            “That’s a relief…” Ha Eun said looking at her ankle. It wasn’t painful as it before.

            “Rest for another hour and you get head back to class…” the nurse said and left the room.

Ha Eun stared at Mark.

            “What are you doing at the auditorium?” she asked.

            “Nothing…I was just passing by…and I heard you scream…” he was embarrassed to tell ha Eun the truth.

            “Oh…” Ha Eun sounded a little disappointed. “I thought you were watching me practising…”

            “Do you need anything? Should I get you something? Drinks?”

            “No thanks…I just wanna lie down…”

Later that day…

The school ended and everyone is getting ready to leave. Ha Eun was limping walking to door.

            “Thanks for helping me Jimin ah…” Ha Eun said, wincing at the slight pain.

            “No problem…” she smiled.

Then Ha Eun saw Mark leaning against the wall outside.

            “Let’s go…” Mark took Ha Eun’s bag. He crouched in front of her. “Get on…” he said.

            “Huh?” Ha Eun frowned in puzzle.

            “You’re going home right? Get on…”

            “Ah nae…” Ha Eun looked at Jimin and her friend just smiled.

She get on Mark’s back and bid farewell to her friends.

While walking home…

            “I’m heavy aren’t I?” Ha Eun asked.

            “Not really…how’s you ankle? Is it still hurt?”

            “It was less painful…maybe because of the painkiller…”

The big night of Ha Eun’s play arrived without any major problems. Her feet healed completely and she was able to perform well, much to Mark’s relief. The auditorium filled with people and Mark was proud when he heard whispers from people around him praising ha Eun performance.

*That’s my girl…* his smiles went wider.

Mark saw ha Eun talking to her parents after the show. He went towards them and bowed.

            “Annyeong hasaeyo…” he said politely. He could see that Ha Eun is surprised with his presence.

            “Oh…you’re here…” Ha Eun’s mom hugged him. “Ha Eun said that you didn’t make it…”

            “How could I miss such important event? My parents said hi…they can’t come because of their business meeting…”

            “It’s ok…we understand…”

            “Um…abonim…” Mark turned his gaze towards Ha Eun’s father. “Can I take ha Eun out for dinner? I promise I will send her back before 10…”

            “Oh sure…I know I could trust you with her…go on…we need to leave too…”

            “Thank you abonim…”

Mark pulled Ha Eun’s hands and head out to the exit door.

            “Are you that surprised to see me? I rarely see you lost for words…” Mark said as they walked down the street.

            “I…you said…how…”

            “I was playing with you…I can’t missed the most important night of your life…what kind of boyfriend I would be if I did?” Mark smiled.

Ha Eun pulled her hands away and started crying her eyes out.

            “Baby…what’s wrong? What happened?” Mark flustered with the situation. He never saw Ha Eun crying before. “Baby…talk to me…what’s wrong?”

            “You…me…us…love…” Ha Eun said between sniffles.

            “Let’s have a seat ok…”

Mark led Ha Eun to a nearby bench. Luckily there was no one around to see the scene.

            “Baby…talk to me…what’s wrong?” Mark cupped Ha Eun’s face and wiped off her tears using his thumbs.

            “I thought you don’t love me anymore…and the thought of you didn’t come tonight almost pushed me into complete meltdown…thank God I could concentrate enough to get through the play…” Ha Eun said after her tears died down.

            “That’s why you almost tripped when our eyes met during the second part?”

            “I thought I was seeing things…you mean!” Ha Eun smacked Mark’s chest.

            “Baby…” Mark pulled Ha Eun for a hug. “I’m sorry…”

            “You better be…”

Mark took out a box from his bag.

            “Here…” he gave it to Ha Eun.

            “What’s this?”

            “Just a small token from me…”

            “Can I open it?”

            “Sure…”

Ha Eun open the box and the title caught her attention.

MY ANGEL HA EUN

YOU ARE THE BEST THING THAT HAPPENED IN MY LIFE

I LOVE YOU

ALWAYS DO AND ALWAYS WILL

She flipped the hard cover and it was a scrap book with her pictures in it. Pictures of her taken without her knowing…there was some pictures of her while practising…when she was with her friends at school field, cafeteria…even when she was at the gym during PE.

            “When did you take these?”

            “A while ago…I want to give this on your birthday but I decided since you have the lead role in the play, what better gift than this?”

She never knew Mark would these things for her. Nobody has ever been this sweet to her before.

And again, she burst out in tears.

            “Baby…” Mark again flustered with the situation. “Why? You don’t like it? I could make another thing…”

He tried to take the scrap book away but Ha Eun refused.

            “Why…you…this…beautiful…it’s so sweet…” she slammed her face against Mark’s chest…wetting his shirt with her tears.

            “Oh baby…stop crying…people might think I did something bad to you…”

            “How can I stop when you being like this? I’m such a stupid fool thinking that you’re getting bored with me…”

            “Aigoo…”

Mark cradled Ha Eun’s tear stricken face and kissed the tip of his nose.

            “Like the title said…I love you Ha Eun…always do and always will…”

And Ha Eun burst into tears again.

 

I hope this story made someone out there smile...

BBYONG!!!!