Only one

Love Letter To My Wife

The first time I met her was when I was 9.

I still remember how she looks like at that time. Innocent look and mesmerizing smile she had. I still remember it clearly.

As usual, I always being drag by my parents to attend a cocktail party, where people talking about business and nothing else. That one day, my parents take me to greet Uncle Im, my father best friend. As far as I know, Uncle Im and his wife never have a child. It's quiet shocking to find a little girl holding tight Uncle Im's wife hand. She seemed scared and uncomfortable with the environment.

"Chanyeol, say hello to Haeun.Uncle Im daughter."my mother told me as she give a light pat on my back. 

"Hello, my name is Park Chanyeol." I introduce myself to her. Truthfully that time i'm not really in mood to be nice with anyone, so I just faking my smile on my lips. I bet she know that I was faking it, but instead she give me the most sincere smile.

"Im Haeun. My name is Im Haeun."she said cheerfully.

"You should call him Chanyeol oppa. He's a year older than you." her mother told her, and then she walked to me and stretch out her hand to me.

"Chanyeol oppa, lets be friend!"

That was the starting of everything. She changed my life upside down with just her smile. Right at that time, I know I have fallen in love with her. People might say it just a child love, but I'm pretty sure my feeling towards her is genuine because up untill now, she is the only one I look at. Only her.

So basically, we grew up together, taking care of each other. Day by day, she grew up to be a beautiful lady that I'm afraid some man will take her away from me. Yeah I think I was really obsses with her. I always say no to my friend if they want me to introduce her to them. But it's not like I could prevent her from liking other man apart from me. When she currently date someone, she will told me who she dating with and she even ask me to give her bless with her relationship, which I think its not necessary. At the outside, I would say 'I hope you will live happily with him' but deep inside I already cursing him like hell.

It was when I was at the age of 18 and she was at age of 17 when she knew that she was adopted into Uncle Im family. She ran away from home, and so Uncle Im give me a call to find her. It was raining heavily that night. When I found her at the roadside stall, she was drenched and badly drunk.

"Oooh..Chanyeollie you are here? Aww come and drink with me~I'm sooo lonelyy~~"

"Are you her friend? Could you bring her back home? She has been screaming and cursing all the time. I wont have any customer if she keep doing this!"

Quickly, I bring her into the car and say my sorry to the ahjumma for her stead. When I went back into the car, she put both of her hands to . I know she is trying hard not to break down in front me.

"Oppa, why they hide the truth? I have the right to know aren't I? All this time..I'm living a life full of lie."

I didn't say a word and I just wrapped my hands around her to comfort her. For the first time, the tough Haeun break down in my arms. She didn't cry when she was dumped by her boyfriend, she didn't cry when she got bad result, she didn't cry when her pet died. But this time, she cried to her heart content. 

And at that night too, I make a big mistake towards her. She suddenly kissed me on the lips and she keep asking me if I care for her, if I loved her. I know that time she just not in her right mind, but emotion and lust took control of me. Maybe I loved her too much that I'm not thinking what I was doing. I told her that I have always loved her and will always be. From intense kiss, I went overboard and sleep with her once. That was her first time. The next morning she woke up, she was shocked with what happened before her eyes. Before I could explained myself, she stop my words from coming out with her words.

"Oppa I'm sorry. It's my fault."

I just become speechless because for her that was a mistake, but for me, I do it out of love. The moment she went out and closed the door, I just knew that was the last time I could see her in the face. Things become so awkward after that, and she prevent from bump into me at school like hell. Although I already in my final year of high school, I changed my school for her. So that she could study at peace because I know she had a big dream ahead of her and I don't want to be the distraction to her.

I graduated and just went to local college. I could have study overseas but I choose not to because I want to see her, even far away. I always ask her maid how she was doing secretly. On the day she graduated from high school, I just could send her flower through her friend. I really want to congratulate her so bad, but I think my appearance would make her feel bad again.

When I was 20, my mother keep bugging me to go for a blind date. She never push me to do anything that I despise, but this time she really want me to go to that date. I end up agree with her and went for that blind date. I'm not a guy that appreciate art, so meeting at the art gallery bored me so much. 

"She is late."I said as I look the time at my Rolex watch. By then, a slender girl wearing a blue coral dress stand next to me and her voice capture me in instant.

"You know right that it took me so much time to get ready for a date.."

I turned my head to my right side and she is standing there, right in front of me, with the exactly smile she give to me back 11 years ago. I was dumbfonded and I feel numb suddenly.

"Chanyeol oppa, long time no see. I really miss you."

My tears automatically run down on my cheek when I see her in front of me. Anxiously, she wipe my tears using her soft warm hand.

"Why why? Did you have upset stomach waiting for me for so long? Or did you get tired of standing? Ah oppa stop crying."

She still Im Haeun that I knew. Nothing changed. We get back into a good terms and we eventually become fiance. We agreed so because my parents like Haeun very much and Haeun willingly to marry me because she want to do this one favor for her father. One week before our marriage, Haeun come to see me.

"Oppa, the thing is..I got an offer to further my study in the state. You know I talk about this with dad, he give his consent for this but he told me to come and ask you about this, since I will be going there right after our wedding day. So, oppa is it.."

"Go. You should go there. It's your dream to become a doctor isn't it?" it just come out from my mouth when I never meant to say it. I even faking my smile when I told her to go.

And so she went there. I didn't even send her to the airport by saying I was busy with my work and stuff. I'm afraid I will change my mind. Day after day, years past years, I keep myself busy with all the company work. I become workaholic and does not socialize much like I used to be. 5 years is too much for me to wait for her, but at the same time I couldn't ask her to come back to my side. Not after what we have been through.

"Oppa, I'm backkk! When will you get here? I have been waiting like forever :("

I read Haeun text message after I met the doctor when I suddenly lost concious at the company. I walk out from the hospital lifelessly, went to my car and drive with only Haeun in my mind.

"Haeun ah..Haeun ah.."a pool of tears form under my eyes, and quickly I turn my car to the side of the road. I stopped the car at the side and looked around with my blurry sight.

"Park Chanyeol ssi, it is a regret to inform that you were diagnosed with a rare cancer. You already at your final stage."

"How long can I survive?"

"At most, a year or less."

-to be continue-

-comment, subscribe and upvote-