ONE OF ONE

“I hit you with my car and was the only one to visit you in the hospital” AU

 

Minhyuk sat on a stiff hospital chair waiting for the man he’s hit with his car to wake up. He’d been waiting for an hour now although he had got up to leave after half an hour but felt too guilty about it. So he sat back down and waited.

A little while later the man stirred. Minhyuk stood from his seat and peered over at him. Ah, he’s waking up, finally, he thought. The man swung his arm up from his side and covered his eyes, slapping Minhyuk in the face in the process.

“Ahh!” he cried, cupping the side of his face. “My eye!” he stumbled backwards, tripping on a small table on wheels and tumbling to the floor. “Uwah, how did I even do that?! My face!” Minhyuk flailed around on the floor, trying to recompose himself.

“Who are you?” a voice made him stop. He looked up to see the man was staring at him, awfully confused. Minhyuk quickly stood up and brushed himself off, just then realising the mess he had caused of the floor. He tried to fix things by fumbling with the object on the table but only succeeded in making the situation even more awkward.

He stopped fiddling and looked up at the man, who by now was looking mildly pissed off.

“Uh, Hi. I’m Lee Minhyuk and I hit you with my car” he rubbed the back of his neck before reaching forward to shake the man’s hand. The other didn’t make a move to shake his hand and only glared at him. Minhyuk then looked down to realise the man’s hand were both covered in bandages. “Oh, uh, yeah” he slowly withdraw his hand, embarrassment and guilt clouding over him.

“Look” Minhyuk started suddenly “I’m really sorry I ran into you. It was a complete accident and I didn’t even see you. It was just like suddenly your body was on the bonnet of my car and I, uh...” he stopped after realising what he was saying and looked apologetically at the man. “I didn’t even catch your name…”

“Ahn Jaehyo” the man said, quietly. He rubbed his eyes with his hands and groaned. “Hmm” he breathed out.

“Don’t worry about it too much” Jaehyo admitted “it was my fault I ran out into the road”.

“What were you trying to do?” Minhyuk asked, with maybe too much curiosity. Jaehyo looked up for a moment, contemplating whether to tell him the truth or a lie.

“I was trying to catch a cat” he decided with the truth, looking down in slight embarrassment, his ears reddening at the tops.

“Oh... is it ok? I didn’t see it” Minhyuk asked, concerned.

“Well, I don’t know. I’ve been in hospital for the last 3 days” annoyance crept into Jaehyo’s voice.

“Yeah… sorry about that, again. I could go check if it’s ok, feed it or something. If it’s your cat?” He proposed. Jaehyo smiled slightly.

“Well, I suppose you could, since no one else could have.” Then a thought crossed his mind “ah, she’s been alone for 3 whole day. I hope she’s ok. My poor baby-“Jaehyo released what he was saying and stopped abruptly.

“Ok” Minhyuk said, determined and choosing to ignore whatever Jaehyo was talking about. “I’ll go straight there and come back”.

The other smiled and nodded his head once, still regretting what he’d just said, “Thanks” his voice was small. He passed Minhyuk they keys and gave him the address before he darted out of the door. What a strange week.