Shinhwa

XXV: Tales of Twenty-Five
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Title: Through The Eyes Of A Father 

Prompt used: One's first love is always perfect, until one meets one's second love.
Word Count: ~3, 774 (~5 pages)
Disclaimer: This story is purely based on a fictional-plot. 

It was a big surprise to him that she opted for a big wedding, although he always knew her popularity was no joke. Byul had many friends as a teenager and there was never a time that the same people frequented their home during summer vacations. There were a few familiar faces that he remembered being constant in her life, but other than them, their decent sized home always felt a little smaller whenever Byul had friends over.

Minwoo remembered when she was just a little girl, she was always so happy and bubbly. Even when her mother was no longer in the picture, she never stopped being happily and bubbly. As far as he remembered, it had been the two of them ever since she was four - a little old enough to understand that mommy was not going to be around anymore.

"I'll never leave you, my Princess." Minwoo murmured lovingly while he held her close, lips pressed on her forehead as she slept. It felt as if it was just yesterday that she clung so tightly in his arms to hide away from any monsters under her bed or to feel safe during a thunderstorm.   

Those were the days, when he was considered the most important person in her life. He still was in some way, but it was more complicated than back in the day. Her life involved an intricate web of relationships and he would not have had it any other way.

Minwoo watched the stylist fix Byul's hair into a proper bun, feeling a bit regretful that he never learned how to do her hair like that when he saw how beautiful it looked at her. The best he had done was a French Braid, but that took years of practice. He remembered how he battled through an endless number of hair ties placed by his favorite stylist years ago when she was younger. The colorful bands were paired with the multiple colors for nail polish and a face painted by play make-up made for children. The thoughts made him snicker softly as he remembered Either way, his princess looked beautiful and glowed radiantly - especially as she was: natural and bare-faced. Even without makeup, she was the most beautiful woman in the room in his eyes.

"Dad, come take a seat, you look king of tired." Her eyes curved upwards the moment they locked on to his, taking a peek at him from the mirror. She gently pat the empty seat beside her, being careful to not move so the stylist would not have a difficult time with her.

"Maybe I am, I'm getting old, you know? After all those almost-heart attacks you've given me while you grew up." His joke was rewarded with a giggle and quickly he sat beside her, cupping her cheek gently to brush his thumb on the soft flesh. "You've grown so big so fast and soon you won't need me anymore." He stated while reaching into the hidden pocket of his jacket, revealing a small, blue hairpin. It had a ceramic flower at the end that held mini faux-crystals at the center instead of the stamen.

He watched as Byul's eyes lit up once they landed on the dainty hair pin - the very one that she favored the most as a child. Quickly, the glint in her eyes turned into one of sadness as she remembered that today would be the day that she were to leave his household. "Oh, Dad.." She whispered sadly and held her hand out, maneuvering the hairpin atop so that she could give his hand a gentle squeeze in thanks.

"I'm expecting you to return it." Minwoo joked once more, returning the gentle squeeze with one of his own and held on to her hand as the stylist continued to work her wonders. With that she had something old, borrowed and blue.

"Love you, Pop." Byul passed the hairpin immediately to the stylist, grinning widely as it found a place in hair neatly tucked to form a bun. Minwoo was quickly ushered out of the room once her hair was done, but not before he could place a kiss on her forehead.  

****

When Minwoo had seen her in her wedding gown, he had to stop for a moment and catch his breath. Now that her make-up had been applied and the veil adorning her features, Byul looked even more beautiful. But behind her glowing features, he spotted a hint of uncertainty and the earlier sadness linger in her eyes. She had yet to notice him in the room as she stared at herself in the mirror, sighing softly to herself as she played with the fabric of her puffy skirt.

"You're just as beautiful as your mother." Minwoo announced as he took another step into the room. Byul quickly turned and shot a smile in his direction, holding her hands out for him to come closer so she could hug him. His chest welled with pride as he saw his daughter, his eyes welling up with unshed tears. Exhaling softly, he walked over and hugged her tightly.

"All these years, I tried my best and I'm so proud of you, Princess." He gathered her face in his hands, noting at the height difference between the two now that he stood closer to her. He smiled reassuringly and tipped up slightly to peck her forehead, those heels really made her taller. "You're such a beautiful bride, but why do you look a little unsure?"

Byul's eyes widened slightly and she laughed, though he detected that it was laced more with nervousness than delight. "Sometimes I forget that you know me so well, to the point where you break the stereotypes." She paused, sighing softly as she gathered his hands in hers and he noted how cold they felt.

Her expression contorted into a more serious one once she found her voice again," Oh, Dad...I don't know if I'll be able to do this. What if something happens and..." Minwoo intuitively knew what she was trying to hint at, the words that were unsaid only playing in his head. He understood her insecurity, apologetic that she felt that way.

What if something happens and he ends up being just like Mom?

"Don't be silly, Young Girl. Do you love him?" He asked, wanting her to announce her answer with conviction as he looked at her with a serious expression. She pressed her lips into a thin line and carefully nodded her head to give a silent answer of yes. "Do you love him?" He asked once more.

"I love him so much, Dad. I'm just scared.."

"I've seen the way he looks at you, dear. I can see that there's so much love that man has to give and that he genuinely loves you. Your mother...would have loved to see you today and I'm sure she would vouch the same thing.  Our circumstance was meant to happen and that's just how life is sometimes, but you have to live it with no regrets." He paused, staring right into her eyes to make sure his message to her had been clear. He was careful to not to smudge the makeup on her face, although his hands still cupped her cheeks.

"You can't be scared to try new things just because of how things ended for me. We aren't the same person, Byul. Your experience will be different, it will be better and even if things don't turn out the way you want them to be..." He paused for a moment while he moved his hands to her shoulders, giving them a firm, reassuring squeeze just like he used to whenever she would attend her dance competitions. "Even if things don't turn out the way you want them to be, remember that I will always be there for you, sweetheart." And with that said, he circled his arms around her frame and pulled her close for what he imagined would be the last hug he would ever give his little girl.

She was now a grown woman.  

Minwoo chuckled softly as he heard her sniffling, face buried into his jacket blazer, staining a portion of his dress shirt but he did not care. He knew that she had come to her final decision and even without words, he just knew that she felt reassured more than ever about what she wanted to do.  

Minwoo was ushered out of the room once again at the sound of a shriek as they pulled away while Byul was pulled away from his arms. "We need to fix your make-up  again quickly, Byul-sshi, before procession begins!" Her stylist exclaimed, panicking and startled at how quickly the bride's makeup had been ruined.

But to Minwoo, Byul had never stopped looking so beautiful.

****

Byul clutched tightly on to his forearm, squeezing it gently before letting go - a habit he thought she had long lost since her younger years. He was reminded of how she would do that whenever she was nervous, it was usually before something important such as a test or a dance recital, or a dance competition. He placed his hand atop her knuckles and tilted his head to look straight into her eyes that were glossed over with nervousness, "There's nothing to worry about, Byul-ah. I'm here."

And with that reminder, her nervousness had disappeared and she smiled warmly once more. "I love you, Pop. Thank you for always being there for me, no matter what."

Minwoo barely had a chance to reply as the doors leading to the Nave of the Church had opened and the procession began. The Church was beauti

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter