FINAL

goodnight, amor.

She laid there in her bed with no lights on, cuddled underneath her sheets with the street lamps passing through the window and giving some light to the room. It was a cloudy night. His shadow entered her room. A room filled with no hope, no comfort, and no freedom. He silently stood in front of the girl on the bed who was lost and absent-minded. He caressed her skin like glass and gently put a piece of hair behind her ear because it was in her face. She had been shaking her head too much from her thoughts.

He sighed. “We could runaway together you know.” He put a cigarette in his mouth and lit it. “You wouldn’t have to suffer again. There’d only be happiness.”

She cradled her knees. She had been crying herself to sleep every night, her cheeks were always stained with tears and she’d never bothered to even wipe them away anymore. She sniffed quietly. “You’re right. We could…If we were careless and mindless.” She whispered. He took his cigarette from his mouth. “That’s not my point.” He said annoyed.

He slowly sat down on the cold hard floor beside the bed and crossed his knees. He reached for her hand and held it closer to him. “Look at me and come back to your senses.” He said softly. She was still slightly shaking and her head was pulsing from dizziness. She lifted her head slightly from her soaked pillow and turned her head towards him, looking at him sideways. “Happiness?” She coldly laughed. “Forgot how that felt like.” She looked back down. He held her hand tighter which probably made her hand ache, but she has tolerated much worse so she didn’t even react. “Look at me.” He said again in a more serious tone. She turned her eyes towards him and looked into his eyes. Her eyes were tired-looking and her dark circles were just as dark as his  

“We could get away from here. We could go back to Seoul together. We could live in a nice apartment together, or even a house that resembles a castle.” His eyes widened. She sighed hopelessly. “Did Hyunseung give you drugs-” “I’m being serious.” He cut her off. “We could get married. We could get a dog…a husky. We could go shopping together and buy clothes you love. We could eat out together and try new foods together. We could sit on the edges of buildings and drink beer while holding onto our lives even if we were on the brink of death. We could live together and watch our favorite horror movies together. And if we got sick, we would take care of each other. Tell each other that we love them. And if we did something wrong, we’d say sorry and make it up to them.” She was taken aback. She could see the glint in his eyes.

“You’re right…” She said. “We could have a child.” He quickly said. “A son. He’d be beautiful.” He paused to look at her. “Because he would have your eyes.” He said softly. Tears filled up her eyes. “He’d have a beautiful name. Hansol.”  “No, I like Adam better. Adam Oh.” She replied. He smiled. “He’d have his father’s jawline. His skin would be a beautiful mixed shade. We would raise him well. I would sing him lullabies every night. Even read to him fantasy stories. He would learn everyday. He would know what to do because he would be brave like us. He’d love to watch horror movies like us. And we could eat together and go out together. And if he got sick, we’d take care of him and tell him that we loved him and tell him to hang onto his life. And if we something wrong, we’d tell him that we’re sorry and make it up to him. And he’d have a father, someone to look up to, a brave father. A father who he will never call a coward. And he will never be ashamed of his parents. And we will never once say that we regret giving birth to him.” She cried softly. One tear escaped his eyes listening to her. Everything she had said was the complete opposite of her life. “We could.” He said.