Chapter One

No Logic
Who would have thought that the makings of a phenomenal idol are born in a dance studio. Eight hours or more of practice into a regular training day where the focus is simply breath. Ballet, hip hop, jazz, locking and popping, all these different dances harmonize to perfection in one human body. Kim Jongin or as the crowd would call him, Kai, is indeed a dancing machine.
 
He isn’t only known as a pioneering talent in his chosen field of art but also a brand name worth millions of dollars along with his nine other bandmates, together they call themselves Exo. They are currently Hallyu Wave’s one of the biggest front liners and one of Kpop’s most influential acts.
 
But above and beyond the glory of his career, stripped to the core, scraped off his perfectly put up image, who is he? Who is the idol that we all come to adore?

 
“What is this? Why are you making me watch this? I don’t understand.” I asked as I hit pause.
 
“Hyesun-ah, can I ask you one thing?” President Jung asked.
 
I nodded.
 
“What do you think about the documentary?”
 
“Cheesy. Too cheesy.” I honestly answered.
 
“Not that, what I meant is, aren’t you impressed of it?”
 
“No. Not even one bit.” I honestly answered once more.
    
 
The president took a few moments to think, his lips curling to the edge.
 
 
“Really, Hyesun, don’t you see the man they are all praising?”
 
“Of course, I do. His name is all over the place anyway. Even if you didn’t show me this video I would still know about him. Infact he’s too overrated by the media and by his fans. He’s really not that good with ballet and there are a lot of other people who dances better than him.”
 
And then president Jung gave me his sly smile.
 
“So you did make your research about him.” he said, obviously teasing.
 
“What nonsense. Did I say I personally gathered information about him? I just heard all about those from … everywhere!
 
President mockingly rolled his eyes.
 
“Literally everywhere.” I rolled my eyes at him too. “Stop that.”
 
“Okay, okay, you don’t have to be so feisty.” he chuckles. “I bet your excited on meeting him.”
 
“Nope.” I answered out of pure honesty. “President Jung, do we really have to do this? I mean, everyone knows that guy’s enjoying all the fame and popularity in the world, why does he need more nonsense public stunts? And why do I have to be dragged in this situation too? Why me? Of all people.”
 
“Didn’t I already told you the reason? Mr. Lee Soo Man is a good old friend of mine and he personally called me to ask you to be in this project!”
 
“Great, so you call this stunt a project.” I whined. “Unbelievable! How can you sell me to that old hag in an instant? How? I thought you’re my uncle? Who are you? Bring him back!”
 
“Shhh! Yah! You’re being too noisy, you brat. Stop whining and listen to me even just for five minutes.” Yes, President Jung, of Empire Music, is my uncle.
 
“300, 299,” I mockingly counted.
 
“Yah yah!” He yelled. “Ahh, jeongmal. I think I spoiled you too much, huh? Anyway, you know how hard it is for celebrities to date publicly, right? This is his way of making it easier for his talents, and for you too!”
 
“How could this be helping me huh? Am I not destroying myself instead?”
 
“Ani, ani, listen okay? Calm down. You, Kim Hyesun, is a star in your own field. You enjoy the exact same popularity that Exo does, only in a completely different field. It wouldn’t be bad for you to have this relationship, trust me. In fact, it’ll only be good! Kai has a spotless clean image and you have one too. It’ll be viewed very purely and affectionately by the public and will bring good feedbacks for the both of you.”
 
“I guess you really don’t understand, uncle.” I answered, dropping the whining-scheme and the refusing-by-force facade. Let me get through this by the heart.
 
I cleared my throat. “In a day, I spend my twelve hours in the ice, training. And then four hours in the dance studio, training. My mornings are all spent in the gym. My evenings are all dedicated to the polishing my techniques. By the time I get home I die out of exhaustion. To cut it short, I’m awfully busy and I’m sure he is too and maybe just as much. How do you think this will work out?”
 
“It will, trust me—”
 
“No. It won’t.” I said instead. “I’m sorry, really I am. But you are forcing this scheme to me for no apparent reason. I am not, in any means, needing a companion right now. I didn’t chose figure skating as my sport for nothing anyway. From the beginning, I know that by doing this I’m a one man team. It’s a lone sport, for crying out loud and I have embraced that reality the moment I skated for my first medal. Please uncle. I’m sorry, but I can’t do this.”
 
I gave him a deep and respectful bow before I depart his office. He didn’t say a word.