I'm Sorry, I'm Scared

Your Yoghurt

I’ve never been so happy.

 

I’ve never felt so content.

 

I’ve never wanted something to last so badly.

 

I've never thought my problems will easily disappear just because I smell your scent.

 

The fact that I feel those four feelings at the same time and because of one person, doesn’t only overwhelm me—

 

It scares me.

 

 

 

 

"Unnie."

 

I hum. "Awake already?"

 

You stop beside me and let out a shiver.

 

"Unnie," you say above whisper, “why are you out here?”

 

“Why not?” I answer simply, my hands in my pocket, my gaze firmly fixed to the front although I don’t give any damn about the view in front of me.

 

“It’s cold,” you mumble out. “It’s warmer inside—so warm that I fell asleep.”

 

It’s almost like a scene of those dramas Tiffany and Sunny like to watch. Your words enter my ears slowly and my brain stupidly imagines, that beneath your words, there are more things left unsaid.

 

I slowly look at you, and you look back at me with those glints in your eyes.

 

Those glints that always persuade me to translate your words into something more.

 

It’s cold – why are you out with your thin clothes?

 

It’s warmer inside – please be more considerate towards your own health.

 

So warm that I fell asleep – and I kind of wish that you’ll be there when I wake up…

 

You rub your eyes sleepily, and I let a smile to form in my lips. The distance between us keeps painfully constant as you stand unmoved and I don’t take a step either away or closer.

 

“You’re cute when you’re asleep,” I say lightly.

 

You pretend to be mad, although your slightly pinkish cheeks say otherwise.

 

“Are you trying to say that I’m not cute when I’m awake?”

 

Yoona, stop being so adorable.

 

“Stop putting words in my mouth.”

 

How is it that I can’t seem to stop the words from slipping off my tongue whenever it comes to you…

 

“You’re cute all the time.”

 

Without seeing your reaction, I quickly shift my gaze to the front again, letting out a breath I don’t know I’m holding.

 

“What, Unnie—“ you sputter, probably feeling all embarrassed and being ridiculously even more adorable than you already are.

 

“Human has a never ending desire,” I say, intentionally cutting you off from saying anything more, as well as stopping myself from mentally describing how adorable you are. I know without seeing that you're pouting right now, because you always do that whenever I'm preventing you from saying words you want to.

 

“Everything starts out of a simple wish...”

 

Me, for example, was initially wishing to know you.

 

“But when that simple wish is fulfilled, another wish will already be there, waiting to be prayed...”

 

After knowing you, I wished to befriend you.

 

After being a friend, I wished to be a pillar you can lean on.

 

After being that, I wished to be the cause of your smile.

 

As my lips say the words, my heart whispers the meanings I can't bring myself to utter, and if it doesn't sound so freaking drama already, then I don't know what does.

 

I know, though, without seeing, that by now your pout will be replaced with a tight-lipped frown, your habit whenever you're being thoughtful. You're looking at me, I can feel it, but my mouth refuses to stop saying more – or is it my heart?

 

I just keep on speaking,

 

“Human’s desire is endless…”

 

Now I want to be in your side forever, even before my wish to be the cause of your smile fulfilled.

 

“That we’ll never know the biggest desire one can have.”

 

If my desire only grows even bigger… what will I do, then?

 

You must have been very confused, because you finally sigh and speak.

 

“Unnie... what are you trying to say?”

 

I look back at you, and you've looked at me even before I do. Something inside my stomach clenches as our eyes meet.

 

“What I'm trying to say is…” That there’s nothing I want more than being there when you wake up, but I’m trying to refrain myself from desiring too far, too much, to the point that it’s impossible to be with you without wanting to call you mine.

 

I swallow.

 

“What I want to say is that after having such warm environment, I wished for a slightly cooler breeze, that’s why I’m out.”

 

You purse your lips for a while, and then you slowly nod.

 

“Okay…”

 

You take a step closer to me, smiling ever so softly that I almost want to tell you to keep smiling that way.

 

“But at least you should wear my jacket next time, Unnie, or make sure that you bring a jacket yourself. I don’t want you to get sick. You hear me?”

 

Even as my heart mentally melts over your concerned words, I offer you an innocent grin.

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

I’m sorry, I’m scared. My heart whispers in the background, but you don't have to know.

 

“Let’s go in, unnie.”

 

You extend your hand out to me, still smiling in a way that causes my heart to flutter, and even if my brain screams at me to refuse, I know my refusal will hurt you, and Heaven knows I can’t bear to hurt you.

 

“Unnie…”

 

I snap out of my thought and blink, and you scowl at me, swinging your hand impatiently, and I slowly take out my hand from my pocket. I extend it out to your way, my gaze fixed on how your scowl smoothly turn into a wide smile. I wish I could make it into a gif and keep it close with me because it never fails to make me have a smile on my own.

 

You link your fingers with mine, and you huff playfully as you squeeze our linked hands.

 

It’s warm.

 

It’s comforting.

 

It’s too perfect.

 

“Goodness, you’re such a slowpoke.”

 

I squeeze back gently as we start to walk, hand in hand.

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

I’m sorry that it scares me.

 

 

 

 

THE END