Rain and Colors (A Bus Stop Story)

Your Yoghurt

It was such an ordinary day, the sun wasn't shining too bright, the air wasn't too dry neither was it too refreshing, so Kwon Yuri wondered why in the world couldn't her experience be ordinary too. Just a day, please God? No? Dang it.

 

"Yah Kwon Yul, why are you late to—"

 

"Shuddup, Choi."

 

Sooyoung faked a look of hurt, and Yuri sent her a scowl before dropping her head to the table. The day had been spiraling into a mess. Coming late to the class of a killer lecturer because she missed the bus by a mere second, forgetting to bring the task for the next class, dropping her plain yoghurt at recess, and having a stomachace that resulted her to come in late to the last class. Sooyoung had to understand her annoyance with the world for today, no?

 

Finally the universe granted her a moment of silence... literally. Only a moment. A short one, too, because five minutes later a leg nudged her shoe, and she retaliated with an angry, muffled huffs without looking up.

 

"Oi, Kwon-sulk, has the red Niagara falls befallen you?"

 

This would be the fifth metaphor Sooyoung came up with her brain to describe menstruation. If Yuri wasn't so frustrated with her life, she would praise her for still trying. Maybe someday Sooyoung could write a book compiling all the pet name she ever gave to the 'visit of the Death' (that was Sooyoung's third metaphor, by the way).

 

"Just shuddup, Choi."

 

"Yah, I can't carry on to annoy you further if you don't tell me any annoyance material," Sooyoung hissed.

 

Yuri shifted her head to give the giant a glare and grunted, "I'm late because I missed the bus, ok."

 

"Then why so frustrated? It could happen to anyone, my friend. Das life."

 

Except the following chain of events couldn't be happening to anyone. Yuri sighed, opting not to tell Sooyoung that part. Not yet, at least. She turned to look at their lecturer, which was famous for using every seconds he had to deliver the purpose of his subject. Of course it was okay, she paid to learn the subject anyway.

 

"So I would like to end today's class early......"

 

Wait what.

 

As the lecturer bid goodbye to the class, Yuri started to think that maybe, just maybe, this ordinary day wasn't that ordinary, after all. And maybe... today wasn't as bad as she had thought it had been. She cleaned up after her belongings, grumbling several words to Sooyoung who tried to hurry her up.

 

"Just go first goddammit."

 

"But I want to annoy you until we reach the bus stop. Das what best buds do, huh? Huuuh??"

 

Yuri felt so done with the world and only a tiny bit hopeful that the day would be better, so Yuri let Sooyoung entertain her as she hastily shouldered her bag and walked with the giant. In her mind, Yuri already formulated what to do the moment she reached her room.

 

"Oh, it's raining," Sooyoung commented.

 

They halted when they reached the door of the building. Indeed, it was raining hard outside. Not a problem for Kwon Yuri, though, because she always had her umbrella stored in her bag. Yoohoo.

 

"...sunbae?"

 

Yuri stiffened at the voice.

 

Now that's a problem.

 

She rigidly glanced to her left, where a hoobae was standing, smiling at her.

 

A hoobae she met when she took the next bus available.

 

A hoobae she sat next to.

 

A hoobae whose shoulder she leaned and unconsciously fell asleep on...

 

A hoobae who she awkwardly, embarassedly apologized to because there was a small puddle of drool on her when Yuri woke up and Yuri pretty much wanted the Earth to swallow her alive at that moment.

 

If only.

 

"Sunbae?"

 

In one quick ninja-ish movement, Yuri hid herself behind Sooyoung and pretended that she didn't see Im Yoona scratching her neck because her greeting wasn't getting any response, twice. Oh yes, Yuri knew her name, because the hoobae introduced herself in reply to Yuri's many apologies, but Yuri didn't tell her name in return because she wanted to run away from the bus as soon as it reached uni.

 

Now she discovered that they actually attended same uni, were in the same major, and yep, this day screwed Yuri up.

 

"Oh my God Kwon Yul what's wrong with you?" Sooyoung exclaimed, squirming away from Yuri's grasps. "Stop acting like a puppy after being a momma tiger giving birth to one hundred cubs the whole day!"

 

Yuri heard a soft, amused chuckle from the hoobae and she had a sudden urge to -head Sooyoung because who the heck used that mental image to explain someone's mood swing?!

 

"OOOOH JESSICA JUNG!"

 

Jessica Jung was a sunbae from the other major, Sooyoung's walking obsession, and it explained why Yuri suddenly lost a place to hide and Sooyoung was out of the building stupidly running embracing the rain to go towards the Jung, without an umbrella, without a plan. Spontaneous and uncaring to Yuri's need in such dark times.

 

Some best buds, she was.

 

"So... Kwon Sunbae?"

 

Yuri stiffly turned around to stare at the door, swallowing. She wished Im Yoona would vanish and stop trying to get her to talk because Yuri couldn't handle more heat on her face.

 

"Your name... is nice."

 

"Your name is nicer," Yuri blurted, her gaze unwavering.

 

The soft chuckle was heard again, and if marshmallow was a sound, it would be Im Yoona's soft chuckle just because. Yuri desperately wanted to glance, if only to see how Im Yoona's chuckling expression would look like. Okay now she started to sound ridiculous even to her own brain...

 

"Aren't you going to go home, Sunbae?"

 

"Aren't you?" Yuri asked back, throat dry from the awkwardness eating her up inside. Oh God she had to kill Sooyoung later for disappearing when she needed her the most. The hoobae hummed, and Yuri thought the hum would translate into a steaming cup of warm chocolate because it sounded really soothing and relaxing and holy I need to stop channeling Sooyoung by associating everything with foods!

 

"Actually I left my umbrella today, hehe."

 

Yuri chanced a glance at the little cute laugh in the end of her sentence, and quickly looked back to the front when their gazes met. "Ah, because you're already late?"

 

"That, yes. And because I didn't think it will rain..."

 

Yuri glanced at the younger again, this time a little bit longer as Im Yoona was staring at the door. Was today really such an ordinary day? Yuri wasn't sure. Now that she thought about it, nothing about today felt ordinary. When Im Yoona released her gaze from the door and looked at her, beaming, Yuri was certain the thumping in her heart wasn't ordinary at all.

 

"Um..." Yuri gulped, feeling the tip of her ears reddening, "I'm really sorry for this morning."

 

The thump-thump chose to increase as Im Yoona took a step closer to her, grinning. "I told you it's okay, Sunbae."

 

"Well, I, uh..." How did you tell someone that a mere 'it's okay' wouldn't be able to erase the feeling of wanting to die on the spot because you've drooled on a stranger's shoulder? Yuri facepalmed herself, frustrated. She glanced to the existence beside her, who was once again smiling in amusement at her.

 

"Do you like rain?"

 

Yuri didn't know how the conversation would go from there, but she just really needed to keep it going or her brain would re-flash the embarassed moment in HD. Jerk.

 

"I quite like it," came the answer, and this time Yuri didn't look away when Im Yoona's doe eyes met her gaze. "How about you, Sunbae? Do you like rain?"

 

Yuri liked to think that she was indifferent to rain.

 

"Hey," Yuri said, retrieving her umbrella from her bag, "do you want to, you know, share an umbrella with me and walk together to the bus stop? Just, think of it as my way of saying sorry, or—"

 

Im Yoona laughed.

 

The light, expressive, freely kind of laugh that made Yuri feel like smiling widely.

 

"I told you it's okay, Sunbae, but I won't mind a company to the bus stop."

 

I won't mind either.

 

Yuri stepped out from the building, opening her blue umbrella, and waited until Yoona came under it.

 

"Hmm, blue."

 

"Do you like blue?"

 

"Mmhm," Im Yoona smoothly slipped an arm under the hand Yuri used to hold the umbrella, and clasped her fingers around Yuri's tanned ones. "It's calming. I don't really have any colors I dislike, actually... each of them has their moments."

 

Yuri liked to think that she despised the color pink. Mainly because she had enough of Tiffany Hwang shoving everything pink to her face since they met in the high school.

 

"So, Sunbae..."

 

"Call me Yuri," said Yuri slowly, trying to ignore the tingling feeling their clasped hands sent to her heart.

 

"Then Yuri unnie," Im Yoona corrected, and Yuri could detect a smile in her voice. Which would've been impossible but today wasn't ordinary anyway, right? "You can call me Yoona, then."

 

She nodded, smiling as she realized that the steps she took was slower than she usually did. Maybe she didn't want to reach the bus stop soon.

 

"Okay."

 

"Yuri unnie."

 

"Hmm?"

 

"Your ears have been red for about ten minutes now."

 

Yuri thought Yoona should really stop making Yuri switch between wanting to disappear from her live or staying like that forever every five minutes. This wasn't right, Kwon Yuri wasn't easily influenced by others.

 

Then again, Yuri felt like she started to like rain today, probably because Im Yoona liked rain.

 

"Yuri unnie?"

 

"You should really stop calling my name if all you're going to do is teasing me," Yuri jokingly huffed. Silence followed her statement, and Yuri wondered if maybe Yoona failed to catch her joking tone and took it seriously. She thought about clarifying, and maybe allowing the younger to one more time, but—

 

"Yuri unnie."

 

Okay, Yuri needed her heart to stop warming out of nowhere everytime Yoona mentioned her name.

 

"Hmm?"

 

"This time, can I borrow your shoulder?"

 

Yuri had to glance to make sure the younger wasn't teasing, and Yoona looked back at her with expectant eyes. Now that Yuri observed her closely, the younger did look like she lacked adequate amount of sleep. Several lines of tiredness written over her angelic face, and... wait, did I say angelic?

 

"Will you drool?" Yuri lightly asked, smiling as the bus stop came into view.

 

"Depends. Is your shoulder comfy?"

 

"Hmm, you'll see yourself," Yuri answered with a cheeky wink. "If it's comfy enough to your taste, you can borrow it anytime you want."

 

"Can I?"

 

If it means we will go home together everyday? Hell yes.

 

Wait, what's wrong with me?

 

They had reached the bus stop, and Yuri slowly closed back her umbrella, shaking it lightly for the droplets of water to drop. She glanced to Yoona, who was merely watching her with a smile on her lips.

 

"You haven't answered my question, Unnie."

 

Yuri looked up at the sky and smiled as she found the rain calming down. A hint of rainbow shyly peeked at them from the grayish clouds, and Yuri thought that maybe, she didn't really dislike any colors. The pink tint on the rainbow was one of many elements that made the rainbow looked so magnificient, anyway.

 

The bus they had been waiting for slowed down as it reached the bus stop. At that moment, Yuri felt like the ordinary day she thought of could actually be a turning point. A turning point for her bleak life to finally get some colors, a turning point for her dull heart to finally experience something other than constant annoyance towards Choi Sooyoung and Tiffany Hwang's love for pink.

 

"Yoona."

 

The bus' door opened and Yuri looked at the younger girl, smiling softly as she held out her right hand. Her left hand tightly held a drenched blue umbrella, but her right hand was free, and Yuri wanted it to held colors she seek.

 

Colors she found in the stranger she met this morning.

 

"From now on, should we always go together?"

 

 

 

 

END

(.........or not?)
(there's actually Yoona's POV in this oneshot that I plan to post on Sunday, so... are you up for it? or should I leave it open-ended like this? XD)