Kwon Hani's Diary

Your Yoghurt

It was the usual silence. Room temperature all around, and silence. Which was good for her sleeping state right now. But life is never only about good things, so the silence ended as rustles came nearing her, and the air around her changed slightly.

 

"She looks so small," a voice whispered softly, laced with half adoration and half wonderment. "I... can I lift her?"

 

She lazily opened one of her eyes just as a pair of hands gently s around her, lifting her off the ground. Blearily, she tilted her head to figure out her holder. A human. Before the recognition dawned, her body reacted first and foremost. She tensed, unfamiliar to the touch, but the voice was heard again.

 

"Does she have a name already?" her holder whispered, almost inaudible to her ears. Then the voice gently shushed her shiver; she thought it's weirdly soothing.

 

"No, not yet." Finally a voice she was familiar with, her keeper. She felt her holder gently her head, and her tensed muscles relaxed. Not immediately, but slow and certain.

 

"Hani," her holder whispered. "Kwon Hani."

 

She was lulled almost to sleep as her holder rocked her back and forth gently. Her ears caught the name, however. Kwon Hani.

 

She had gotten a name, an identity.

 

Hani nuzzled to her holder's embrace.

 

Hi, human. It's nice to meet you.

 

 

~::KHD::~

 

 

As it turned out, her human's name was Kwon Yuri.

 

During the first week, she had heard other humans calling her human with variety of names; Yul, Yuwree, kkab, ahjumma, dude, and unnie. Hani spent the next following week trying to understand this thing human called as nicknames. She hadn't understood it all, but it was supposed to make you feel special. That definiton was definitely still flawed, because Hani didn't think her human looked happy whenever a Choi Sooyoung called her as ahjumma.

 

"Hani~! Come here, I have someone I want you to know!"

 

Barking back as loud as a mini pomeranian could, Hani trudged to where her human's voice came from. She had learned to distinguish her human's emotion according to the tone her human used. This one clued her that her human felt excited.

 

"Hani!" The moment she was close enough, a pair of arms scooped her up and a gentle kiss landed on her right ear. She barked in contentment and nuzzled at the familiar warmth, her tail wagging behind her.

 

Hello, human.

 

"She looks really content," a foreign voice said in wonderment, and Hani peeked out from the embrace. She narrowed her eyes at a doe-eyed human who beamed very brightly at her human.

 

Who the Hell are you, Hani growled, and why are you doubting how content I am in my human's arms?

 

"Of course she is, she's my baby," said Yuri without hesitation. Hani glared at the stranger, half-expecting her to snicker like every other visitors did whenever her human claimed so. One ahjumma-behaved human even moaned about how cheesy it was.

 

Hani blinked however when the stranger had a soft smile on her lips and merely said, "If you say so, unnie."

 

"So Hani," whispered her human softly, loosening her embrace, "this is Im Yoona."

 

Then her human turned to the stranger and excitedly said, "And this, Yoong, is Hani."

 

The stranger, who apparently had the name Im Yoona, lowered her stance until Hani eyes' level and smiled. "Hi, Hani-ya, I'm Yoona."

 

Silence.

 

And then she gave the stranger a spit.

 

 

~::KHD::~

 

 

"That's not funny!"

 

Hani looked at the wooden fences that surrounded her and barked. I want to play! She circled around, nudging at the nearest foot of the fence and frowned. Why am I being caged?

 

"It's funny, Yul. I don't think I have heard of a puppy spitting!"

 

Why's it such a big deal? Hani sighed and folded her front legs to take a sitting stance. Spitting indicates that I have a healthy salivation, it's something to be proud of!

 

"But it's not nice. I don't want her to spit at every new person she meets."

 

But I'm not rude, Hani lowered her head and pouted at the floor. I just don't like that Yoona...

 

"Hani didn't spit at me or Soo when we were introduced to her," she heard the other voice pointed out. It was the ahjumma-behaved human. "And although I haven't heard of puppy-spit, I've heard about one thing called jealousy."

 

Oooo, Hani mused. She knows a thing or two other than how to behave like an ahjumma.

 

"She's jealous?" her human asked, incredulously she might add. A puppy has a right to feel jealous, hey, Hani growled. Unheard, of course, since the humans were talking not near enough from her enclosed area.

 

"Yes, you see, any dogs will act jealous upon something they see as a threat," the ahjumma-like human said. "Be it a threat to their food, their toys, their territory, or their bond with their owner."

 

Hani nodded sagely, her ears drooping in sadness at the explanation. Tru dat, let's add that I hate mike mouse too while we are at it.

 

"But why Yoona?"

 

Hani learned something new today; that her human was oblivious. Still lovely, but dense; probably as dense as a brick.

 

"Because maybe, to Hani, Yoona is her rival for your affection." The ahjumma-like laugh appeared again. "Honestly, Yul, it hasn't been long since you have Hani. Hani probably thinks that Yoona's presence threatens the developing bond between you. That must be the case, because she doesn't act the same towards me or Soo. We are no threat, Hani sees that, but Yoona is different. She alarms her instinct somehow. Hani needs time to adjust and you need to support her through that."

 

You go, human, Hani barked. Preach! I like you. You may have a name, now. Taeyeon, isn't it?

 

 

~::KHD::~

 

 

She woke up to the warmth of her human’s embrace and dim room. Hani blinked slowly and peered out of the arms around her to look at the window. The curtain was closed and even then it seemed dark out there. Midnight?

 

Hani barked softly, and it immediately clued Yuri that she's awake. Her human her fur, right in the spot she enjoyed the most, and Hani sighed blissfully.

 

"Hi, baby," whispered her human, lifting her up to press a light kiss on her small nose. "You sleep okay?"

 

Me sleep okay, Hani murmured, flapping its soft paws against her human's cheeks. Your arms are comfy.

 

Yuri smiled and slowly lied down on the couch, then gently placing her on her chest. "I'm sorry I'm so busy these days," she softly spoke, tapping her small nose. "I miss you so much."

 

's okay, I know you're some popular idol or something to that effect. Hani nuzzled to Yuri's neck and tentatively her ear, resulting her human to giggle. The times Yuri left Hani in the watch of a human named Sooyoung, Hani was taught to watch TV while sprawled wide on the couch. The human snacked on something called popcorn, which to Hani's tongue tasted awful. She learned then that her human appeared on that tee-vee sometimes. She wondered how her human fit in that little box, but as long as it didn't hurt her, all is ok.

 

"So, Hani... I talked to Taeyeon."

 

About pea stuffed toys? Or mike mouse? I hate mike mouse, hmph.

 

"She said that you were being jealous," muttered Yuri, petting her head gently.

 

Are, Hani mused. Present tense.

 

"But why?" Yuri pulled her away from her neck slowly, and Hani frowned. She barked in protest at being pulled away. It’s comfy over there in the crook of your neck, Hani complained. Yuri chuckled at her disdain, but didn't steer away from the topic.

 

"Why were you jealous, hmm? To Yoona?"

 

Because, duh, you have this adoration in your voice when you said her name.

 

"Yoona to me is just like Taeyeon and Sooyoung, baby," explained Yuri. A beat was all it takes to make her pause, though. After a pregnant silence, Yuri relented, "Well maybe not really like them, she's my favorite dongsaeng, but she's not a threat. Especially not to you."

 

Hani rolled her eyes and folded her front legs, lowering her head on them and pretending to sleep. I don't know that you're in denial as much as you're oblivious.

 

"You have to try to open your heart to her, Hani," whispered Yuri, scratching the skin before her neck. "I want you two to get along well."

 

You don't play fair, I like you scratching there, Hani complained. But okay. Only if she approaches me first.

 

"She will visit tomorrow," mused Yuri. "Let's try to be civil at least, okay?"

 

Needless to say, Hani was appaled at her human's sense of adjustment. She bit Yuri's hand and ignored the surprised yelp coming from her human.

 

Dude, I know I said okay but not TOMORROW. What happens with giving a damn dog some time to adjust!?

 

 

~::KHD::~

 

 

She forgot to ask her human what is considered civil, and Yuri forgot to explain it. So no one should reprimanded her if she only stiffly looked at the doe-eyed human in front of her when they fatefully met again. It was civil enough to her mind.

 

“Don’t you think she’s glaring at you, Yoong?” said a pink-clothed human.

 

The doe-eyed human maintained a polite distance from her, which she was begrudgingly grateful for. The doe-eyed human smiled and shook her head,

 

“I think Hani is trying. It’s cool.”

 

Hani barked her standard basic bark. Thank you for calling me cool instead of cute, I guess.

 

“Are you guys enjoying yourself?”

 

Hani turned over the voice and watched her human approaching them with a tray full of treats. About as far as visiting doctor, she barked to answer. Yuri lowered the tray onto the table and took a seat beside her, immediately scratching the back of her neck, smiling.

 

Nope, not gonna change my answer. She didn’t change her posture even as her brain sang a praise to the heavenly feeling coming from her human’s scratching fingers.

 

“Hani, you look like you’re in an official meeting,” said Yuri with an amused smile.

 

“An official meeting means no spitting at each other,” the doe-eyed human said before plopping a candy into . “It’s cool to me.”

 

Not funny.

 

Yuri laughed, and Hani turns an incredulous face to her human. That’s funny to you??? She didn’t think her human had a low level of humor. But Yuri’s eyes laughed along, a sincere laugh, and Hani had to consider again that maybe it’s the one telling the low level humor that invited that kind of laugh out.

 

And she said this human is just her favorite dongsaeng, Hani growled, for once breaking her formal-meeting pose. Favorite sis my .

 

 

~::KHD::~

 

 

She woke up to chaos.

 

Taeyeon was going around in circles looking at her watch every now and then. Sooyoung was going in and out the kitchen several times. The doe-eyed human was sitting on the couch with restless eyes roaming around in abstract pattern.

 

And then a human who shared the same surname with Taeyeon appeared, bringing a grocery bag.

 

“I get the medicine and ingredients as you ask.”

 

Medicine? Hani barked in her place, panic. I’m not sick, I don’t need medicine!

 

“Hyo, bring the medicine to Yuri, will you? I’ll get this to Sooyoung. Give us fifteen minutes.”

 

“Roger.”

 

Hani barked louder. What do you mean! She paced nervously around the fences surrounding her. Someone answer me! Why are you guys here! Where’s my human!

 

She was about to scratch the wooden fences, determined to get out, when a pair of arms tentatively scooped her up. The moment she’s out from the fences, though, the arms put her down. She turned to face the arms’ owner and meet a pair of sad doe eyes.

 

“Hani, hi,” greeted the human softly. “Calm down. I’m sorry Yuri unnie isn’t here to greet you, but she’s sick.”

 

What do you mean she’s sick?! Hani barked angrily. I don’t do anything wrong! I even stay away from my poop these days, like I promised to her. I… Her ears drooping, Hani barked to the floor.

 

Why should she be sick?

 

“I’m sorry, Hani.”

 

Don’t. Your sorry doesn’t answer anything.

 

“Look, Hani… human like us can fall sick when we’re tired or when our immune system drops, okay? Yuri unnie is strong, so she’s rarely sick. But she has been really tired lately and I guess those exhausting days get hold of her. Even now it’s only a light fever, she’ll be healthy in no time…”

 

Liar. Hani sniffed to the floor. Liar. Your worry is evident in your voice. You’re a bad liar. You’re worried sick about her and you’re a bad liar, human.

 

“Yuri unnie doesn’t want you to go to her yet, she’s worried her sickness transfer to you. So Hani…”

 

She doesn’t even want to meet me! What can I do now?

 

“…do you maybe want to guard the front door with me? To make sure that no bad guys enter your home until we’re allowed to visit your Ma…”

 

She lifted her head and the doe-eyed human gazed at her with a timid smile. The human’s words repeated in her brain and Hani barked at her in amusement,

 

You aren’t allowed to be with her too?

 

“Well, it’s okay if you don’t want to, you can go to the kitchen and help Sooyoung unnie and Taeyeon unnie to cook healing foods…”

 

Not my point, you fool. Hani barked softly and took some steps to approach the doe-eyed human, who gasped in surprise. Not my fault if you don’t understand pomeranian’s language, but hey, let’s guard.

 

She let the doe-eyed human scooped her once again and brought her to the living room, where the pink-clothed human was seating. The pink-clothed human raised her brows and asked,

 

“And what are you guys planning to do here?”

 

“Guarding the door,” her holder casually answered, lowering her to the couch. The soon her legs touched the couch, she leapt onto the floor and pranced towards the door.

 

“She’s small, Yoong,” the pink-clothed human said incredulously, “how’s she going to guard?”

 

How dare you—

 

“She’s Yuri unnie’s dog, Tiffany unnie,” the doe-eyed girl replied firmly. “If she wants to protect her Ma, let her be.”

 

She blinked. I will hate myself for saying this, but, you’re actually cool.

 

“Besides,” she sensed someone beside her, and she turned to see the doe-eyed human already standing beside her. The doe-eyed human crouched down and smiled, “I’ve got her back. Right, Hani?”

 

Aaaaw man, Hani sighed. Fine, you’re allowed to have a name. Just ONE, no complain. So is it Yoona or Yoong? PICK.

 

 

~::KHD::~

 

 

She felt weak.

 

Her surrounding was blurry, and she felt weak.

 

“……God, I have a jerk of a brain.”

 

Who’s there? she barked weakly.

 

A silence but sounds of footsteps. She waited patiently until a figure got into her sight.

 

“Hey.”

 

She watched as Yoona’s brows furrowed together while looking at her. Yeah, she had decided to call the doe-eyed human as Yoona, because Yoong was her human’s nickname to the doe-eyed human. She’s no stealer and she’s proud of it.

 

“Hey, ‘lil buddy.” Yoona crouched in front of her, a hand reaching out.

 

Hey, Hani barked back weakly. She let the hand to pet her head gently. She nuzzled to the gentle fingers and sighed. I feel weak and it’s annoying…

 

“Sorry I’m not your Ma,” whispered Yoona. “She’s worried about you, though. You okay?”

 

About as okay as you felt when my human refused to talk to you, which is not okay at all. She nudged the side of her bed, I want to leave this bed. Being in there makes me sicker.

 

“You wanna come out?”

 

Yes! She wagged her tail, if only you’re as sensitive as this towards your own feeling. Her human was dense, but this Yoona was denser. They went blushing around each other and still never knew what they truly felt about each other. Hani was amused, and sometimes frustrated. They danced way too long.

 

Yoona carefully scooped her into her arms and walked around. “Wanna go procrastinatin’ in the couch with me?” She nuzzled into the embrace, not bothering to answer as Yoona’s legs already made their decision. “Oh, I have to update your Ma on your condition too. You’re awake! Would be great news.”

 

How about confessing your feelings while we’re at it, too? Hani mused. Would be great news.

 

Yoona lowered her embrace when they arrived in front of the couch, and she made a timid leap. She pranced around, sniffing, nuzzling. They’re no comfortable, Hani glowered, frowning. Guess I have to take what I can take, then.

 

She climbed onto Yoona’s lap, the human fumbling around a phone’s buttons, unaware of what’s going on. Lowering her legs, she let her head to rest onto her front legs. Your lap is almost as comfortable as my human’s, hey. She sighed in contentment, not bad, human, not bad at all; I might consider you as my second Ma. Mum, maybe?

 

She dozed off slowly at the silence, tiredness began to get her again. Her body was still emanating heat more than usual. I hate being sick…

 

Omo.”

 

What?

 

“Whoa, who are you and what’re you doin’ to Hani?”

 

She stirred. Hey, your lap is comfortable, not my fault if my body likes it.

 

“Hani, buddy?”

 

I’m a lady and you call me buddy, aren’t you tactless.

 

“Hey, buddy. You asleep?”

 

I was, until you start calling me with buddy. Oh, and you at dog’s language.

 

“Oh look, your Ma replied.”

 

My human! She barked and craned her neck, staring at Yoona for further explanation. Yoona looked at her, at the phone, and back at her again.

 

“Your Ma.”

 

I heard you the first time! She impatiently wagged her tail.

 

Yoona smiled, patting her head gently. “Yeah, buddy. Told you she’s been thinkin’ about you. Let’s see what she said, yeah?”

 

Of course she has! Lemme see, lemme see.

 

“Oh God.”

 

Yoona’s eyes widened, jaw slacked, and Hani wondered if it's one of the times her human sent a zombie picture to prank her friends.

 

Lemme see!

 

Finally Yoona gave the phone to her, and she awed. Ooooo, boy, isn’t my human beautiful. She looks bright. Thank God she looks bright.

 

“But I’m not!”

 

She jumped, startled at the sudden yell. What the Hell?!

 

“I’m not!”

 

Freaking tell me what you’re not so I can decide whether to agree or disagree with you, please.

 

“Urgh! Where do Patrick and Spongebob find their brain field? I need one. ASAP.”

 

Patwho? Spongepoop? Brain pardon? She blinked. That doesn’t add anything for my brain to comprehend, you know.

 

“I. Don't. Love. Her. Period.”

 

Now, that's what I call informative, although we may have to remedy that. She barked softly, and Yoona brought the phone down. The doe eyed human huffed, to what exactly, Hani didn't know. She the stressed girl’s fingers, calm down and what did you say again?

 

“Hani, buddy, you understand me, right? I don’t look at your Ma that way. Right?”

 

Delusional way of thinking should be punished. She nipped on the fingers, and Yoona yelped in shock.

 

“Buddy, what the Hell??”

 

Don’t buddy me, young lady, for you have mistaken your own heart.

 

“But I really don’t—“ another nip, “—OW! HANI!”

 

Told ya to stop being in denial, Mum. She continued innocently, now if only your brain would do what it has to do...

 

“But then Yuri unnie wouldn’t send me her pic—“

 

She stopped the fingers and looked up at those wide doe eyes. That doesn’t reply to my words at all but by all means continue, please.

 

“I mean, I wouldn’t have a reason to contact—“

 

Yes, yes. Contact who?

 

“I mean, I wouldn’t be someone she can rely—“

 

Great, we’re on the right track, go on.

 

Yoona stared at her with realization shining on her doe eyes, "I mean, I wouldn't be someone she can trust about everything and I hate the idea of not being enough for her."

 

Now that’s my Mum, Hani barked proudly. She took back her sleeping form, curling comfortably on her second human’s lap.

 

“Oh my God, I’m in love with her.”

 

Now tell her that and we’re good, barked Hani again. Can I be the bridesmaid?

 

What she heard after that was Yoona fumbling around the phone again, probably trying to make a call. It was okay, though, bridesmaid can wait. What couldn’t wait was her urge to pee, so as discreetly as she could, she dislodged the liquid.

 

Think of it as my congratulatory gift. She hummed in contentment, I’ll move the moment she said ‘pee’.

 

 

~::KHD::~

 

 

She woke up into Yoona’s footsteps. She had gone back to her bed after she peed on her second human, and she had fallen asleep while watching Yoona tending to the mess she created with a ridiculous grin plastered on her face.

 

“Hey buddy,” greeted Yoona warmly, “your Ma is on her way back.”

 

Hey Mum, how does my pee doing?

 

“I confessed to your Ma about my feelings,” whispered Yoona. “I don’t know if she returns my feelings because I confessed it in the vaguest way I could, but…”

 

You get a hundred points for knowing that you’re vague. Hani rolled her eyes and barked,  lift me up.

 

Yoona pursed her lips, and scooped her into her embrace again. “I don’t know, buddy. I guess I’ll confront her later, when she’s not tired.”

 

Ooooh no no no. She nuzzled into the embrace. Not if I have my way with you two, Mum. Just wait and see.

 

She leapt from Yoona’s arms the moment they were near the couch, and Yoona whistled. “You’re healthy?”

 

Healthier than before. She trudged towards the door and took the Hachiko pose. She knew it from a movie she had watched when Yoona and Yuri had their movie night. It was sad and… let’s not talk about it… it’s freaking sad.

 

“Aren’t you a good kid,” said Yoona as she looked over her from the couch’s armrest. “Yuri unnie’s proud of you, you know.”

 

She thinks I’m standing there to greet Ma, poor naïve Mum. Hani barked innocently at the compliment.

 

“Yuri unnie will be a good mother, right?” Yoona mused. “She’s taking care of you really great. She’ll be wonderful around kids…”

 

Ooooo, Hani mused, nodding along. Little siblings! Me want. I’ll be a wonderful sis. Let’s make that happen.

 

And then the bell rang. She barked in excitement. She’s here!

 

Yoona scrambled onto her feet, panicked. “She’s here!”

 

The bell rang again, and Yoona rushed to press a button that would unlock the door. A beeping sound was heard, and the door slid open.

 

This’s the time.

 

Yoona was about to take a step forward, and Hani, with calculated plan, leapt to the front of Yoona’s feet and barked.

 

“Eeeep!”

 

Yoona yelped and tried not to step on her, and in result losing her balance. Hani smoothly ran from the scene and leapt onto the couch, just in time to see the doe-eyed human fell forward…

 

…………onto her human’s arms. OH YAY.

 

“Whoa there, careful,” breathed Yuri, “I didn’t think you’d literally jump me, Yoong.”

 

Yoona’s flushed face only redden even more as she sputtered off, “I was trying not to step on Hani’s tail—mmm…”

 

Hani blushed and hid behind the couch’s armrest as Yuri lowered her face to cover Yoona’s lips with hers. Mum! Ma! Honestly, there’re some things a poor dog doesn’t have to see, good Lord!

 

Unfortunately, Hani hadn’t yet mastered the skill to cover her ears, so she had to endure the noises coming from the front door. There was a click indicating that the door was closed back already, but her second human still made some sighs and mewling noises.

 

It has been minutes! Hani barked, are you going to make my sibling right here and now?

 

It seemed like they parted, finally, in response to her bark, because Yuri laughed softly while Yoona muttered, “Sorry, Hani.”

 

No need to say sorry, Mum, Hani barked back, just tone it down when I’m around. I’m still a kid, for crying out loud.

 

“So what are we?” asked Yoona loud enough for Hani to hear.

 

“Whatever we want us to be,” answered Yuri softly.

 

Whooop! Hani barked in joy, leaping off of the couch and running around circles beneath the laughs of her humans. I’ll be the bridesmaid, just so you know!

 

 

~::KHD::~

 

 

“I’m home!” called Yoona brightly.

 

“Welcome back home,” said Yuri, pulling the younger into her arms and closing the door back almost automatically. They kissed briefly and exchange words of how are yous, looking ridiculously content even from such short time.

 

She looked fondly at her humans. They had always been the happiest when they were in each other’s presence.

 

“Hani, buddy,” Yoona called, peering from Yuri’s shoulder. “Come here.”

 

She barked aloud and ran towards her humans, who broke their embrace only for Yuri to scoop her up and include her into their moments.

 

She loved them.

 

“What will we do today?” asked Yoona, scratching the skin on the back of her neck gently.

 

“It’s Christmas tomorrow so tonight’ll be movie time,” replied Yuri. “Hani said she wanted to watch Hachiko.”

 

“I bought you a small warm winter hat, buddy,” cooed Yoona to her. “Hufflepuff-stitched one, just the way you like it.”

 

"You don't have to," said Yuri with a smile.

 

"Oh but I have to," Yoona winked at her and she barked her agreement towards her Mum.

 

They loved her too. Hani was one lucky mini pomeranian, she had no doubt about it.

 

Thank you, Ma, Mum. She nuzzled gratefully into their embrace, now when’s the baby coming? I want my ‘lil sibling. She’s gonna love me too, right? Of course she will. I'm fabulous.

 

The night was still young. The dynamic of them too. Kwon Hani would be there with them, being a part of them, and she was content to see how they would grow with each other; preferably until death did them apart.

 

 

END