final

No Better Time Than Now

 

 

Baekhyun impatiently tapped his right foot against the wooden floorboards. His thumbs twiddled with each other, and if he did not stop the unnecessary movements any second now the interviewer might think he was bored.

 

Perhaps that was what he wanted, at the back of his mind. The questions were boring anyway and certainly questions asked a dozen times before, over and over again. When he was younger, his mother always lectured him, in gentle tones and with a loving gaze, he should always show his best face, no matter what the circumstance was. People were going to hold something against you all the time anyway, and it was his job not to give them more reasons to hold something against him. But he was having a hard time doing that right now, particularly because he wants to be somewhere else.

 

The interviewer, a woman probably around her mid twenties, was beautiful. Single eyelids, dark straight hair, maybe a bit too much make-up, but beautiful nonetheless. She speaks in a manner that tells Baekhyun she is a veteran, but still a beginner. If that made any sense. Baekhyun doesn’t want to think it, but maybe the woman is a bit nervous because she is interviewing him. She kept on erasing some of her notes and half of the time her face was being covered by her hair. She does not even bother removing the stray strands away.

 

This was a common sight for Baekhyun, and one that he was not particularly fond of. Back in the days people were quite excited to see him, along with the other boys. Staff was always all smiles and cheerful tones. Now, they almost always bowed their heads until they all have passed from the corridors. It wasn’t that people hated them, or despised them in any way. But people had a way of putting people up on pedestals and shining blinding lights upon them. Over the years those pedestals kept on getting higher and higher and now people were kind of anxious of the height, of the enormity they themselves helped in achieving. These days EXO was like the sun; people waited for them every day, but look directly and you’ll get blinded, stay too close and you’ll get burned.

 

A memory suddenly flashes inside Baekhyun’s head and it totally takes his mind away from the now. He focused on the memory. Taeyeon was reading a magazine beside him. Her hair was tied in a bun, with a few strands tucked behind her ear. A pillow was squeezed in between her pale legs. A couple of beams from the bright sun made their way across her face and Baekhyun could not stop staring at her.

 

“What is it?” Taeyeon asked, without moving her eyes away from the magazine.

 

Baekhyun put down his glass of orange juice and sat more comfortably on the sofa, putting one of his legs above one of Taeyeon’s.

 

“Have you ever gotten that feeling that people were just, scared of you?” He asked, his voice faltering a bit, but honest.

 

Taeyeon glanced at him with caring eyes, then she smiled softly at him and put the magazine down. “What’s wrong?” She asked, moving closer to him.

 

Baekhyun took her in his arms and she fit quite perfectly. Taeyeon was now hugging the pillow to her chest, her head just right under Baekhyun’s chin.

 

Baekhyun wanted to sigh, but he stopped himself. “I don’t know. It’s just that, it’s like things aren’t as fun as they were, you know? People start acting different around you after a while, and I don’t think I like it that much.”

 

“That’s just their way.” Taeyeon replied, but then the silence which ensued from her boyfriend told her that her answer wasn’t quite reassuring. Taeyeon sat up straight and looked at Baekhyun, got his chin and pulled it gently towards her, so that he was looking directly at her eyes, and not at the ceiling. Baekhyun stared at ceilings a lot these days.

 

“Hey,” Taeyeon said. “I am never going to be different around you.”

 

“I know that. But you’ve been through this before, right? You and the rest of the girls. You were the nation’s girl group. Heck, you are still the nation’s girl group. Wasn’t there a time when people just stared at you like you were going to eat them? People look at me, look at us, like we’re about to breathe fire and devour them. I don’t like it. I hate it, in fact. I hate it so much.”

 

Taeyeon let go of his chin but remained facing him. “Yeah, I guess. I think it’s all part of it, one way or another. Whether you like it or not. I used to cringe every time when people called me names, like goddess or whatever. The way I see it, people will always have some sort of a concept of you. Especially when you’re as big of a star like, well, you. When you’re in the spotlight almost eighty percent of the twenty-four hours in your day. Point is, it’s important to have a concept of you for yourself. One that’s special to you. And you hold onto that, no matter what.”

 

Baekhyun was suddenly jerked back to reality. The woman, the one interviewing him, is tapping his knee with the end of her pen.

 

“Are you okay sir?” She asks.

 

“Yes, yes. Sorry, I was just. . . sorry. What was your question again?” Baekhyun replied, apologetic.

 

At this, the interviewer seemed to have covered some ground. There was a gradual change in her face, and she even removed the hair away from her face. She sat more comfortably, more professionally. Maybe this was brought by the vulnerability that Baekhyun showed, that he, too, was capable of trivial things like being distracted.

 

“Oh, it’s okay! It’s okay!” She said, and they continue the interview. They continue for about thirty minutes more, with Baekhyun tapping his foot impatiently and his thumbs twiddling each other.

 

Baekhyun drove his own car. Almost everyone did now, save for Sehun. Even though the man had his license for a year now he still preferred being driven home. According to some managers, they were now capable of ‘taking care of themselves’. Apparently, this was a sign of trust from the company. And maybe it was. Baekhyun was not particularly sure and he didn’t want to think about it now. He just wanted to go home.

 

Along the way, Baekhyun saw a florist preparing to close his shop for the day. He signalled right and parked immediately on a vacant spot along the sidewalk.

 

“Could I still buy some flowers?” He asks.

 

The man regarded him, and for a second Baekhyun thought there was a flash of recognition in the man’s face, but if ever there was any he clearly did not show it.

 

“You’re lucky there’re still fresh ones. Go pick.” The florist said.

 

“Thank you! Thank you, so much.” Baekhyun bowed, about five times.

 

Quite satisfied with his purchase, Baekhyun started feeling good for the first time the whole day.

 

The drive was short, and once he got home, Taeyeon was sitting on the dining table. She’s eating yogurt, paired with blueberries. The television is opened and turned at a high volume, so Taeyeon wasn’t able to hear the door opening. Baekhyun sneaked up slowly to her and pokedd each side of her tummy, surprising the woman. Taeyeon gave a loud shriek and almost slapped Baekhyun, but caught herself mid-slap. Her eyes were wide with panic but after realizing who she was facing, the fright in her eyes turned into laughter, and a little bit of annoyance.

 

“Do not ever do that again!” She said, then turned her back away from Baekhyun, facing the television once more.

 

“I’m sorry,” Baekhyun muttered. He kneeled down beside her chair and showed her the bouquet.

Taeyeon tried to force back a smile, but failed miserably. She ruffled Baekhyun’s hair and slapped his head softly. “Idiot.” Taeyeon said, but she immediately grabbed her present from Baekhyun and puts them to her nose. The smell spreads out through the entire apartment.

 

Taeyeon searched for a vase to put the flowers into as Baekhyun removed his jacket. He sat on the sofa and watched the news for a bit. There were a couple of bombings in a foreign country. A lot of people were killed, including a number of children. Baekhyun watched for a couple more minutes, just trying to digest the information, then he changed the channel.

 

Just like that, human lives were taken away. Such fragile little things, us humans, Baekhyun thought.

 

Taeyeon then came out from their bedroom and brought along with her a humungous glass vase. The flowers fit perfectly. She half filled the vase with water from their faucet and placed it at the center of their dining table. Baekhyun could not help but smile to himself. It was curiously amazing how a being could be so y and adorable at the same time. Taeyeon’s hair was tied in its usual bun. She was wearing a short night dress with a huge face of Mickey Mouse printed on the front, and underneath that, nothing. As Taeyeon leaned over to pick up a couple of leaves that have fallen on the floor, Baekhyun saw the pale flesh of her s. He did not look away, and Taeyeon also did not bother to cover them with her shirt.

 

Baekhyun began admiring his girlfriend, but not in a lustful way. He felt glad of the comfortableness they have attained over the years.

 

She was beautiful, Baekhyun thought, and he was very lucky to have such a strong woman always being his monolith, a source of strength whenever he needed it, a pillar he could lean on when he needed a little bit of rest.

 

Taeyeon was clearly happy with her flowers because she was still standing in front of them, admiring its beauty.

 

“Can you sit here for a sec?” Baekhyun called and Taeyeon cheerfully obliged.

 

“I love it when you bring me flowers.” She said, as she nuzzled up beside him. “Thanks.” Then she kissed him on the lips. They lingered there for awhile, cherishing the beauty of such a simple moment. Then Baekhyun realized how silly his worries were. Not in a sense that they did not matter, but he shouldn’t be drowning himself in the waves of other people’s idea of him. What really mattered to him was this, and he was sure it was the same way for Taeyeon.

 

“Go get dressed.” Baekhyun said, as their lips parted. They were breathing each other’s air.

 

Taeyeon cocked her head to the side. “Where are we going?” She asked, confused, but certainly enjoying the idea.

 

“Out of here. Do you have a schedule tomorrow?”

 

Taeyeon thought for awhile. “There’s this shoot. But other than that, nothing. I have moved on with this business of having busy schedules, if you haven’t noticed.” She said, smiling, challenging. Then, “It’s you I should be asking that question.”

 

“Things can be arranged.”

 

Taeyeon eyed him suspiciously. “Baby, no. It’s okay, you need rest.”

 

Baekhyun brought out his phone and pressed a number. “Hello, hyung? You know that recording tomorrow for that OST? Yeah. No, I was just wondering if we can move that a bit. Like ten-thirty? Yeah. Oh, nothing. Just going out with Taeyeon. Yeah, we will. Okay, thanks hyung.”

 

Taeyeon, again, tried to force back a smile. But she soon gave up. “But where will we go?”

 

Baekhyun soon had a grin of his own plastered on his face. “Does it matter?” Then he was the one who kissed Taeyeon now, hard. When they parted, Taeyeon stood up and went to their bedroom to get dressed. Baekhyun fetched his jacket and his car keys once more. He went to their balcony and stared at the city lights, shining bright like little gemstones of various colors. It was theirs for the taking.

 

Maybe he should’ve asked his manager to move his schedule to noon instead.