Chapter 1

Red String

 

CHAPTER ONE

 

Ever since he could remember, Eric has always been able to see those red strings tied onto people's little fingers. The Strings of Fate, like some hopeless romantics like to call it. He has been so accustomed to seeing those strings floating in the air, drifting to some place he most-likely does not know, that throughout the course of time, he has come to master the art of not giving a single damn about those things.

 

As a child, he was very confused about these red strings. He often wondered why could he be the only one who could see them. His best friend Minwoo can't, nor could the other kids.

 

"What are these strings for?"

“You can’t see them?”

“Where does this string lead to?”

 

He had naively asked those questions a lot, consistently earning confused looks and raised eyebrows from most of the people he had asked. Only then did he realize that this ability may be only unique to him – and that he's not supposed to tell others about it. Well, maybe except Minwoo.

 

Much of his confusion cleared up in his pre-teenage years, thanks to his very knowledgeable grandmother who had supplied him with very useful answers. Apparently, his family is a direct descendant of some grand matchmaker of some sort back in some dynastic period he did not bother to ask (he was never interested in history anyway). Her grandmother thought that their bloodline had lost this special ability after so many generations, that it came as a big shock when she learned; Eric had the ability to see.

 

The red strings, according to Eric’s grandmother works a bit different compared to the way they’re always portrayed in literature and film. Firstly, no two strings are exactly alike. There will be always a slight difference. Some strings are rounded, while some are flat. Some are thick, while some are scarily thin. Some looks like yarn, while some looks like they’re made out of silk.

But despite the difference in appearance, all red strings share one common characteristic: when the connected people eventually fall in love with each other, the red strings would glow.

 

Because of this Eric would know immediately if a person is already in love with his soulmate or not. Contrary to popular belief, it’s rarely love-at-first-sight. Eric had seen fated couples walk pass by each other as strangers countless of times. He had also seen strings that are only half-glowing in one end, indicating that the other end is yet to fall in love.

 

His grandmother would gladly make Eric go through a whole crash course about matchmaking and the red strings, but back then, for a 12-year old Eric, playing games was much more interesting than reading strings.

 

Sixteen-year old Eric regretted not taking up those lessons though. He had thought of so many things he would be in advantaged of, if only he knew how to read those strings. As he grew up, he became more interested in the strings – but only because he wanted to have something to brag about to his friends. It’s a talent no one else has, so of course he’d want to show off. Knowing who would date who, when would they meet, how would they fall in love; it would feel really nice to boast about something only he can do, right? Of course, he'd also like to use his ability to get to know his one true love. But in all honesty, he'd rather want his girl to appear in front of him, that him do all the bothersome tasks to find her. We’re bound to meet anyway, so why bother myself?

 

Nineteen - The red strings didn’t stop him from dating "unfated" girls. Just because he can see the strings doesn't mean he had to obey the strings.

It’s not like I’m going to die anyway. It’s just casual dating.” – that was his solid excuse each time Minwoo interrogates him about his strings.

But Minwoo knew better; he knew Eric didn't want to be left out on all the fun. Eric managed to convince himself that he needed as much experience as possible to know how to treat his lady right when the time comes. It’s all preparation for my soulmate, he said.

 

At twenty-two, he was starting to wonder, why hasn’t he met her yet? Romantic movies about destiny and fate were starting to bug him, and he’s worried if she ever will come to his life. He had imagined it, many times, about their future meeting. How he’ll fall in love with her immediately, and how he’d do everything to make her love him back. What would she look like? Is she pretty?

 

Seven years later, he couldn’t give a about no string.

 

Eric is twenty-nine, working as a regular employee, with regular working hours, in some advertising company. He’s too busy in work that he had no more time to contemplate about his love life. If she will come, she will come. If she doesn’t, then damn.

 

Anyhow, he still has the ability to see the strings. He’ll know immediately if the right one has finally arrived. But until then, Eric’s plan to work ‘til he drop-dead and earn lots of money for himself is on full blast.

_______________

 

It was one of those mornings in the company; where Eric was welcomed with the sight of overdue files from yesterday’s unproductive meeting, along with Manager Jang’s loud yelling.

 

He sighed.

 

At this rate, there’s no doubt he’ll need to work overtime again for tonight. He trudged to his cubicle and placed his worn-out briefcase onto his desk – among the sea of undone paperwork much to his chagrin.

He was sorting out the papers, when he heard faint steps towards his cubicle accompanied by the strong smell of freshly brewed coffee.

 

 “Hey Eric, just got in?” Minwoo, Eric’s best friend of more than two decades, asked while holding a cup of coffee in one hand, and some documents on the other.

 

“Yeah”, Eric replied, hands still busy organizing the files.

 

“I heard Manager Jang yell at somebody about something just now. Was it you?”

 

“Yeah,” Eric replied again.

 

Minwoo had to chuckle. “This whole week’s been a hell,” he said before taking a sip of his coffee.

 

You don’t say. Eric sarcastically thought.

 

There was a short silence between them. Eric was definitely not in the mood for small talk, not when he was just scolded by his boss a couple of minutes ago. Sensing this, the shorter guy cleared his throat.

 

“Jinnie and I have been thinking,” Minwoo started again, placing the documents on a vacant table nearby, “Why don’t we have a small party tonight? Soju and beer, maybe noraebang after, you know, just to loosen ourselves a bit?”

 

Eric glanced at the short guy for the first time since he had appeared, “Isn’t it a bit too early to be talking about soju and beer?”

 

It was only a couple of minutes past eight-thirty in the morning. What kind of idiot would be talking about alcohol such early in the day?

 

“Well, we’ve been planning about this since yesterday.” Minwoo defended himself.  “What do you say?”

 

Eric stared at his best friend for a few seconds before plainly replying, “Nah, I’ll pass.”

 

“What? But why?” The shorter guy whined, abruptly putting his coffee on Eric’s table before grabbing Eric’s shoulder to make him look at him. “We’ve also invited other people from other departments! It’s going to be fun!” He grinned like a child, hoping to convince the other guy to come.

 

However, Eric was not amused, “Sorry, got stuff to do.”

 

“Eyyyy–, Minwoo groaned, flailing an arm towards Eric, “Lately, all you ever talk about is work, work, work. Don’t you want to have fun?”

 

“Of course I want to too but –,“ Eric thoughts we’re interrupted when Minwoo leaned in a bit closer, placing an arm over Eric’s shoulder.

 

“Listen, I heard Shiyeon-ssi from the Sales Department has set her eyes on you.” Minwoo whispered, “What do you think? She’s pretty right?”

 

Before Eric could even retort, Minwoo continued.

 

“She’s going to join us later too, and I’m pretty sure she would love it if you’re there.”

 

“But we’re not connected!” Eric rebutted a bit louder than necessary, yanking off Minwoo’s arm around his shoulder. He immediately surveyed their surroundings to make sure no one else can hear. “My string doesn’t lead to her. So it’s no use seeing her.”

 

Minwoo stared dumbfounded at Eric. “Don’t you use to say you need to date other people to prepare yourself when you meet your Ms. Right?”

 

“Well, I’ve got no more time for that either.” Eric simply answered; he pulled out his chair and sat on it. “Can’t you see these piles of crap I need to work on?” He asked, hands directed at the files he was sorting just now.

 

“It’s just for tonight Eric-ah!” Minwoo argued, “and tomorrow’s a Saturday! You can go back to your fake workaholic mode next week, I won’t bother you!”

 

“No thanks.”

 

“Tch.” Minwoo finally gave up. He took his coffee from Eric’s table before leaning his body on the wall of Eric’s cubicle, “You’re no fun.”

 

“I know.” Eric answered. Of course he’d want to join Minwoo’s little party too. But if he doesn’t finish his paperwork tonight, he’ll never hear the end of it from Manager Jang.

 

“Say Eric,” Minwoo asked after taking a sip of his coffee, “What will you do if your soulmate finally appears before you?”

 

“Isn’t it obvious? I’d make her fall in love with me instantly.”

 

“Well, what if you don’t like her?” Minwoo questioned.

 

At this, Eric gave a shy smile, “What’s there not to like if she’s my soulmate?”

 

“Oouu!” Minwoo growled, his free hand poised as if he would slap Eric any second now. He had to restrain himself from hitting the man because of his cheesiness.

 

Eric chuckled while staring at his hand, the red string gracefully floating from its tied end. He remembered how his grandmother would endlessly tell him, "Don't worry child, you'll know when you're about to meet her." That's what she would always say to Eric whenever she catches him staring at his pinky finger blankly.

 

What did she meant by "I would know?" Eric thought again. Would the string send me signals? Would it change its color or something? Would it –

 

His thoughts were cut shortly when he noticed something odd about his string.

 

 

“Wait. Why is it getting shorter?” Eric whispered.

 

 

“What’s getting shorter?” Minwoo turned his head towards Eric.

 

 

“My string, it’s getting shorter.”

 

 

“Well, how the hell should I know? I can’t even see it.”

 

 

“Minwoo, it’s –“

 

 

And then all of a sudden, he felt something rising up his chest, and soon, he felt hot all over. He clutched at his chest as the feeling becomes too overwhelming for his own good. He internally panicked as he watched his strings getting shorter and shorter by each second that pass by.

 

“Eric, are you okay?” He heard Minwoo ask, but he ignored him as he slowly became aware of what was happening. Oh my god. Eric can sense it. He can sense his soulmate. Oh my god, are we going to meet today?

 

And as if by cue, Manager Jang comes busting in the door, holding a bunch of documents on his hands. “Good morning, my dear employees. This might be a bit late, but there’s going to be an addition to this department.”

 

 

Holy , we are going to meet today.

 

 

“Please welcome him and treat him well.”

 

 

I’m going to meet her toda– Wait did he say him?!

 

 

“Well, introduce yourself!” Manager Jang said as he took a small sidestep so the new employee could move forward. Eric made a bee line of his vision, following the line of his thread and landing his eyes on the hand that’s tied to the other end of his string.

 

 

This can’t be happening!

 

 

“Hello. My name is Shin Hyesung. I’ll be working in this department from now on. Please take care of me.”

 

 

Oh god no. Why is she a dude?!

 


Hi! Here's the first chapter! It got longer than expected. ORZ The next chapter's going to be a bit shorter I think. 

Sorry for the grammar mistakes, and the few swear words. 

Anyway, I hope you like it! Please leave comments below, I would love to know your opinion on this. <3

Also, thank you for all the subscribers and the upvotes! Til the next chapter!