How to Deal With Loneliness

Advice || HIRING

 

This isn't a question that someone put in, but I wanted to touch on the subject a little bit. 

Question: How do I deal with Loneliness?

 

Lonliness is something that I believe almost everyone goes through. There's two lonlinesses that I've seen:

  1. Group Loneliness This is when you're surrounded by many people whether it can be a bunch of friends or your family or kids and even though you are around these people all of the time, you still feel lonely. You feel that you have no one that you can really talk to about how you feel or even just trust. 
  2. Isolated Loneliness This is when you're not around a lot of people, you're always alone and you feel like no one cares about you. 

 

Ali: 

I have personally been through both of these lonelinesses. When I was younger I was just very isolated. I was by myself a lot and I was always scared to ask my mom if I could hangout with a friend. I was very lonely and never had anyone to play with. Up until high school was when I finally started to make friends and that was when I met my best friend. It's hard being lonely. You get depressed and you feel like no one loves you. No one cares about you. You get depresssed and sometimes when you get depressed bad things come into your mind. Those things were in my mind since I was 6. Now during high school I made many friend through my best friend. Now even though I had my best friend, I felt like no one cared about me. No one wanted to hangout with me and just be around me in general. So, I became lonely again. I also started getting those worse depressed feelings again. 

I know different types of loneliness and probably when I get older I will learn more. But these are some things that helped me during high school with my lonlieness. 

Do projects I did many types of projects like DIYs (Do It Yourself), I changed up my room, went through my closet, made a music playlist, and basically did stuff that kept my mind off of being lonely. I did things that made me feel happier about myself. 

Try to spend Time with family and close friends I know that a lot of peoples families are different, but talking to family and close friends or someone you trust is a good way to be open about how you feel. These people love and want you to be happy. So let them help you. 

Those are a few things that helped me through my loneliness. Hopefully this helped :)

 

Banny:

I've never experienced the so called "isolated loneliness" because I've been surrounded by people my entire life. To be honest, I think that the best and only choice there is in that situation is to reach out for other people. Sometimes it's hard for others to see what you're going through and it's not always easy to help if that isn't the case. Communication is the key here. Talk to people, if what you crave for is human interaction. Of course, in some cases, people might be lonely but not necessarily looking for another person to talk to. In this case it's good to keep yourself occupied and active and find things you're good at. Self-satisfaction is more important than other people's acknowledgement.

As for group loneliness, this one I can definitely talk about with confidence. With no intention to belittle the severity of the previous one, I do think that this type of loneliness is the worst because it seems there is no way out of it. When I was on fifth-sixth grade, I felt pretty much isolated from my entire circle of friends. It got to an extent that could be considered bullying and I was pretty miserable for quite some time. What I really found that helped me through the time was talking to another person. You might be wondering why I keep going on and on about communicating with other people but there is a good reason for it. Your feelings are only yours to bear when you keep them inside. The moment you talk to someone about them, that person can help you carry them and the burden becomes lighter. For me the person to share these feelings with was my mom. I remember crying on her shoulder about everything for many evenings in a row and how she patiently listened to me and did everything she could to make me feel better. One of the biggest things that she told me was to smile. Even if it hurts, smile your way through hard times cause they will eventually turn into a mere memory, that has made you stronger.

But I get it, not everyone has even that one person to talk to and in that case you can do what I previously suggested. Find interests of your own and build your self-confidence. Another option, which people are often too afraid to even mention is professional help. In its extremes, as Ali said, loneliness can lead to depression and in the long run, that can become very damaging. If there is no one close to you to help you, you can always seek help from people who are actually trained to giving it. I know that there is a very negative stigma attached to this kind of mental health training and some people can never pluck up the courage to do it but there might be someone that finds it a potential option and that's why I decided to bring it up.

Oh boy, this was a heavy topic to cover, but I hope it can help somebody ^^

 

Drea: 

I think the best way to deal with loneyness is by talking to someone or take our mind of of things. You can go outside and walk. Go to the park. Write your feelings out and show them to someone. There is many ways but the best would have to do with talking !

 

Want some advice? Ask here!