Second

The Outsiders
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Second


I open my eyes. A blanket's draped over me, and Lay and Jongdae are arguing in their cell. Feeling little to no guilt, I begin to listen.

"I still don't think we should bring her; she'd be better off here."
"And you think that's fair to her? Why should we leave her to be knocked up repeatedly?"
"I didn't say it was - at least she'd be a little safer."
"You just don't like her." Silence.
"Says who? I'm just thinking about safety here."
"I want her to come; keep her out of this place as much as possible."
"Why are you being so protective? She's just a girl."
"So? You're just a guy."
"I can fend for myself in the forest; I've been there before. We're going to have to work to keep her safe."
"Just..listen to me on this one, okay?"

I bite my lip and roll over. It's dawn, and the sun's just barely poking out. Birds are chirping.
Jongdae and Lay are huddled together as far away from me as possible, arguing.

Soon after I wake up, I discover that my blanket is large enough to wrap around me twice, and in doing so, I catch Lay's attention.
He purses his lips. "Hey." His eyes are wary, as if he knows I've been listening.
I roll over again, my back to them. Why are you being so protective? She's just a girl. His hostile voice repeats itself in my head, over and over again, as if to remind me that already, Lay doesn't like me.
Faintly, I hear Jongdae mutter something to Lay. Curling up tighter, I ignore him when he comes over to briefly touch my shoulder.
Jongdae sighs as he sits down next to me. "Now look; you've pissed her off. At least she knows how the people in this area act. We don't."
I could tell Lay was rolling his eyes. "The same way everyone else does, Jongdae. Why are you getting so worked up about this?"
I sit up abruptly, tensed. "Why do you want -"
A hand clamps over my lips, and I clench my teeth. "Why do you hate her so much?" Jongdae replies, as if my interruption never happened.
"I'm just saying what's likely to happen," comes Lay's nonchalant reply.

Seemingly to give up on the argument, Jongdae plops down next to me and removes his hand. "Don't mind Lay. He's just a little stubborn."
I look at Jongdae from the side of my eye. "You don't say."

Jongdae looks like he wants to say more, but the sound of footsteps is enough to get him to leave without another word.

Part of me feels guilty as bread and a water bottle are tossed at me, but it fades when I hear four more thumps. A familiar gruff voice says something low to Lay and Jongdae, and I glance up. "Hey, Yifan."
He barely glances at me and grunts.
Sighing, I try to listen to them, only catching bits of the conversation.

"...Meeting, I may be able to...No, too many...Jongdae, listen to me and stop being a retard."
With the last sentence, Yifan's gone, and silence fills the space between us.

"What were you guys talking about?"

Jongdae and Lay's heads snap towards me, and I have the slightest feeling that they forgot I was even there.
"Nothing," Lay mutters.
I roll my eyes and stare pointedly at Jongdae. He shifts, chuckling nervously as Lay glares at him. "You two are unnerving, you know that?"
A smile tugs at my lips, and I glance at Lay. His gaze doesn't move from Jongdae's, and it's almost as if he's trying to drill holes into the other's head. "It's really none of her business," he mutters.
Jongdae rolls his eyes. "She can know. Like I said, she's coming with us." The last sentence is said with determination and force, a tone that doesn't suit Jongdae's voice very well. Turning to me and ignoring Lay's death glare, he says, "We're talking about escaping this hell hole."

I can practically see the agitation rolling off Lay. Clenching his teeth, he turns away.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter