1/1

No Chill
Oh Sehun, age--19, is fairly proficient at very few things: sleeping, smoking cigarettes, smoking pot, doing drugs, skating, and eating. On a normal basis, he wouldn’t include studying in the pile of things he’s good at because that’s going to ruin the bad boy image he created for himself. What’s ed up about this is that he’s doing well in school because he’s forced to, otherwise he would be homeless and parentless and as much as he’s a self-declared badass, he doesn’t want to lose his bed. Or food.

Jung Soojung, age—19, is fairly proficient at a lot of things: studying, speaking in fluent Korean, English, and French, gymnastics, singing, dancing, theater, being the top of their batch, and being perpetually late often times in a month. To sum it up, she can just write I’m Your Typical Catholic School Girl Who Excels At Many Things in her resume and employers would probably clamor by her feet, except she isn’t going to work for anyone soon, or ever, because she’s going to take over her family’s company after college. Typical (Rich) Catholic School Girl.

Seoul Elite Academy is so unforgiving to people who comes into class late and nobody blame them for it. After all, every event this school held for the last fifty years was always on time. Classes always start on time. Lunch is always on time. And everyone will always be on time. Except for Soojung on a very cold, negative 1 degree Monday morning.
Now she blames it all on the traffic, and the Prefect for Discipline Administrator has heard that excuse a gajillion times but as always, she lets it slip. Getting pumped up about their best student being late would just cause tumult for the academy’s number one benefactor which happened to be Soojung’s father. Daddy’s number one Baby Girl is to not be harassed by anyone of any social status.

They let her have detention—the least they can do to punish her. Detention in school is not bad because basically all they have to do is write essays about certain stuff and the teachers rarely stay to watch students write for two hours. This is a pro for students who are adventurous enough to try quickies, and a con for students who just want to get the hell out.

Ironically, Soojung is never late for detention because that’s an additional thirty minutes. She arrives on time, making a beeline to the back of the room, only to find Oh Sehun seated on where she wanted to sit.

“Fancy seeing you here. What did you get detention for? Smoking pot in class.” Also, did somebody mention that Jung Soojung has a way of getting into Oh Sehun’s nerves? Because that is important.

“Better than being always late when there is no ing traffic in the route that princess takes to school.” Sehun’s smile is gorgeous but full of venom, and it does nothing but appease Soojung who’s already used to this kind of crap her crappy classmate gives her.

“Excuse me, I need at least eight hours of sleep a day to function.” Soojung says, taking a seat beside Sehun because she’s not a heartless . “But like, I woke up pretty late and got scolded again. I wasn’t even allowed to take breakfast! Can you imagine!” She rants on, taking out her pen and clicking it open-close.

Sehun quietly digs into his bag, taking out a day-old bread he got from the nearby bakery on his way home yesterday. “Don’t be a baby and eat. I think I still have some water if you get thirsty.”

New spectators who will witness the scene unfold would probably be baffled as to why a smart, rebellious sonnova and a pampered daddy’s girl is having such interaction. Some seven years into knowing Soojung has Sehun equipped that when skipping meals, Soojung can get weak and probably collapse. It happened before, and Sehun doesn’t care what she took for lunch, all he wants is for her to eat the damn bread and feel at least a little satisfied.

Soojung takes the bread and eats it quietly, holding her palm out after and Sehun gives her his bottle of water. The silence is comforting, and the real deal here is they’re not friends. They know each other, talk to each other, but they were never friends. They don’t hang out and don’t talk to each other in the hallways because they’re not friends.

“Detention buddies, that’s what we are.” Soojung told him a couple of months back as she initiates a conversation.

A couple of silent beats later, Soojung burps loudly, no finesse whatsoever because she doesn’t need it around Sehun. She knows him enough and it wouldn’t freak him out even if she farts on his face. “You know, out of curiosity, why do you like…take drugs or something and still, you’re doing well in class? I mean, there’s got to be a reason, right?”

“I was bullied back in grade school so I thought maybe I should just pretend to be a badass so I can protect myself. But I got the hang of it and it makes me feel a lot better. And I’m just forced to study or else I’m going to get kicked out of the house, so.” Sehun shrugs, opening up to his non-friend because with Soojung, he doesn’t feel like he has to hide things because she’s not the type to randomly tell anyone that ‘hey Sehun was a bullied kid that’s why he’s like that’.

Instead, she asks him what brand of cigarettes does he buy and what it feels like when he takes drugs. Nobody will expect that the conversation will escalate into an intellectual debate on whether or not is indeed some sort of medicine.

The teacher arrives on time and she makes them write an essay about the Korean War.

Frankly, Sehun is so tempted to just write ‘it was bad and ’ and bolt out the door, but seeing Soojung’s determined face as she narrates the first few happenings of the war makes him feel a little bit guilty. He cracks his knuckles and begins to write.

Mrs. Han seems to be the angel today. Some forty minutes into detention and she lets them go, says that students these days has #NOCHILL and can get agitated for even two minutes of being around a teacher. Soojung wanted to get bubble tea and Sehun gets dragged some hundred yards outside of school so Soojung can have her weekly taro fix. She offers to treat him, but he’s got pride in himself—too proud to say that his favorite flavor is chocolate. Soojung will never leave him alone for it.

“My driver is there. Do you want a lift home?” Soojung says, straightening her skirt.

“Nah, I’m fine.”

Soojung shrugs, and in a moment of boldness, Sehun says something out of context. “Do you wanna hang out?”

Now, Soojung, as typical as she is, turns around and gives him a confused face. This is what happens when your not-friend suddenly asks you a complicated question answerable by yes or no. Sadly, Soojung is bad with life choices.

“Like…?”

“Like this weekend. We can watch a movie. Or drink bubble tea. Do you like Everland? I think I can tolerate Everlan—“

“I’ll see you tomorrow, Oh Sehun.” With a Rich Girl kind of exit, Soojung shuts the door of the car and nearly gives her
driver a heart attack when she screams. Sehun doesn’t hear it, but he needs to stop gaping like a ing sick fish.





Sehun should be studying some Advanced Physics because his mother is about put his sorry on gold platter because he forgot to remove his shoes by the door again.

WiFi is sweet—WiFi and internet does a lot of wonders, and social media might be 50% devil but there is nothing wrong when he gets a Facebook message from Soojung that reads: “sure, but I get to pick where we are going!” He should be studying.

Sehun doesn’t smile a lot, but when he does, he breaks his ing face.