When They Meet

On An Airplane

The clouds flew by quickly as Jinhwan looked out the window. His eyes scanned the vast sky through the small window of economy class, and he breathed a deep sigh. It had been five years since he had been in Korea. At the age of fifteen, his parents had sent him abroad to America to study in a "better" environment than they could offer him. He had lived with his aunt in the sunny state of California, where everything seemed so different, so unfamiliar. It took a while for Jinhwan to adapt to the loud atmosphere of California but, once he did, he enjoyed it quite a bit. His English pronunciation was not very good, but many of his aunt's Korean friends had children who could communicate with Jinhwan and help him practice his English. Though it was a difficult journey, Jinhwan found that the five years in California had flown by quickly when he realized that it finally came time for him to return to Korea. He had boarded the flight to Seoul with a sad smile on his face, waving to the new friends he had made and promising to stay in touch with them.

 

On the flight, Jinhwan occupied the entire second to last row, the last taken by a strange man who was asleep with sunglasses perched on the bridge of his nose. Jinhwan wondered why someone would wear sunglasses indoors, but he shrugged it off, knowing that getting into other people's businesses would just lead to trouble. He took out the free magazines that every flight offered, and flipped through the endless Kim Soo Hyun commercials to get to his favorite part of the magazine, the shopping section. Jinhwan loved looking at the odd things inflight stores offered, as they ranged from a variety of foods to strange contraptions made to make the flight "a better and more comfortable experience."

 

As Jinhwan read about a particularly interesting pillow that could supposedly massage all of the tension out of a person's neck, he felt a kick from behind his chair. He paused for a moment but, figuring that the person behind him had just been shuffling around, continued to read. However, he felt another thump from behind and grew suspicious, remembering the strange man who, if his memory served him correct, supposedly sat behind him. Giving the strange man the benefit of doubt, Jinhwan ignored the disturbance again, but sat on high alert. Soon enough, another kick came, and this time, Jinhwan spun around to peer through the crack between the seats.

 

What he saw came as a surprise.

 

The sunglasses man, as Jinhwan decided to call him, was still sleeping. However, his leg was twitching slightly, as if reacting to something in a dream. Every so often, the leg would kick high enough to reach the back of Jinhwan's chair. Jinhwan knew that it wouldn't be proper to wake the man up, but he couldn't stand the continuous kicking of the sunglasses man. Putting all courtesies aside, Jinhwan reached over and tried to tap the man's moving leg. However, he miscalculated the strength of his tap and the velocity of the man's leg, and accidentally slapped the leg instead. The sunglasses man snorted and woke up suddenly, his sunglasses falling to reveal two startled but still drowsy eyes.

 

Jinhwan gasped and looked around to see if the commotion had attracted any attention. However, the flight was practically empty, since it was off season, and most of the people were intently watching their small television screens. The select few who weren't watching anything didn't bother to look at the two men, and chose to focus on other things. Jinhwan sighed in relief and turned back to look at the sunglasses man.

 

Though the man was not particularly handsome, compared to Korea's beauty standards of double eyelids and pale skin, there was something attractive about his presence. Sunglasses man attempted to look at Jinhwan directly in the eye, but his head kept dipping down in tiredness, and he wound up saying to the ground, "What do you think you're doing." His nose crinkled and his head rose suddenly in another attempt to glare at Jinhwan. "Don't interrupt my dreams, I was just about to eat a big juicy hamburger," he drowsily said, a yawn escaping his mouth. The man seemed to have exhausted all of his energy after speaking and he proceeded to fall asleep, his sunglasses once again on the bridge of his nose.

 

Jinhwan stared at the man.

 

The man snored.

 

Jinhwan stared.

 

The man let out a little drool bubble.

 

Jinhwan twitched.

 

"What am I doing? Well excuse me, but you were the one who was kicking the back of my seat like a four year old." Jinhwan shouted at the sunglasses man, throwing aside all of his manners.

 

This time, people did look at the two men. Immediately, Jinhwan blushed and regretted his outburst. Why did he have to inherit the impulsive gene from his mother. The sunglasses man stirred and raised one hand. Jinhwan flinched, but the man just reached out and pulled his sunglasses down, to give Jinhwan the same accusatory glare he had attempted to give him before.

 

"You're going to wake up the entire cabin with your shouting. Didn't you ever learn basic manners?" He asked, with a calm voice.

 

Jinhwan steeled himself and buried all of his impulsiveness under his frustration and anger. "You're asking me if I ever learned basic manners? Why don't you ask yourself that question, since you seem to have forgotten them yourself," he retorted.

 

The sunglasses man narrowed his eyes and said, "If I recall correctly, and I know I do judging by my superb memory, you were the one who shouted at me and disrupted this entire plane. Are those the proper manners that you had been taught when you were younger? If so, then I guess you're not the one to blame for your behavior."

 

Bristling with anger at the man's obvious allusion to the validity of his parent's upbringing of him, Jinhwan gritted his teeth and snapped, "You were the one who was kicking the back of my seat. If not for your obvious disregard towards those around you, I would not have gotten the urge to kick you off of this plane." Suddenly, he realized that he had gotten so worked up that he had risen from his chair and was yelling at the man from above his seat.

 

Chuckling, the irritating man reached out and flicked Jinhwan's forehead, "Hm, now that I think of it, you're kind of cute. But threatening to kill me? What a turn off."

 

Jinhwan could feel the veins in his forehead clenching and a headache growing. He shook his head slowly, as if doing so would rid him of the man's existence. Turning around, he decided to ignore the man's angry turned flirtatious attitude, and placed his headphones on his head. He turned the volume to the maximum level, and proceeded to fall asleep, with dreams of talking sunglasses and long slim legs.