001

three times yoongi tried to confess and the one time hoseok did.

i.
Yoongi knows he shouldn’t be up all night for the entire week. He knows it’s bad for his health but he continues doing so, anyways. He needs to produce a song that would channel his inner thoughts and no, it isn’t something Bang PD-nim told him to make. He’s got composed the track but he can’t seem to pen the lyrics he wants to relay.

He feels a yawn bubbling up his throat and his eyes itch. Yoongi definitely needs to use eye drops. He blinks back at the notebook with crossed out lines. There’s a faint ‘The melody that encompasses us doesn’t seem to stop’ peeking through and when Yoongi notices it, he strikes it out, harsher than before. He really shouldn’t be up writing a song for his not-a-crush-at-all crush. Every word he jots down appears sappier than the previous.

There’s a knock on the door and that’s more than enough for Yoongi to fling the notebook and pen, in his hand, to the other side of the room, minimise the windows he had opened, scramble to the door and open it, all under a good thirty seconds. When he sees the person in front of him, he wishes he would have taken his time. 


“Hyung! Why are you up today as well?” Hoseok pokes his head in though the gap and lets his body fit through the space. “You know we’re all worried sick about you.”
“I need to finish it off, Hoseok. You and Namjoon should know that more than the others.” Yoongi scowls a little.
“Who’s this for, anyways? They seem really important for you to be spending every spare minute of your life trying to make this song.”
Yoongi blushes and he isn’t sure if it’s his drowsy mind telling him that Hoseok sounded jealous. 


Truth was, it’s been a couple of months since Yoongi had come to terms with his feelings. He’d always thought that, maybe, just maybe, it could have been his hazy mind messing up his heart but that wasn’t the case. Yoongi’s love interest affected him in many ways and he can’t say that it wasn’t addictive.

His palms would always perspire, his mouth would dry up and he had no clue what to say, even though he was just about to make a snark remark. His heart would speed up and he felt like he was always in a rollercoaster when he was around them. They were also very close, which resulted in Yoongi feeling peculiar frequently. 

“Who told you it was for someone? It doesn’t have to be for a person.” Yoongi retorts.

“My proposition can easily be backed up with evidence which I have with me! Exhibit A: Check this photo,” Hoseok pauses as he takes out his phone and opens the gallery, “It clearly has cheesy lyrics on it. Honestly, hyung, tell me. I won’t tell anyone.” He motions his hand to close his lips, imitating a zipper.

“So wait, you only offered me food because you wanted to see what I was doing? Hoseok, that’s disrespecting my privacy.” Yoongi says.

“But Taehyungie was curious and I couldn’t say no. It wasn’t as if I could just break into our song.” Hoseok jokes and there’s a little giggle coming out of Yoongi but he has swag and people who have swag don’t giggle. “I’m missing the point here, though. I wanted to invite you — okay, hold on, let me rephrase that – the others wanted me to let you know that we’re having pizza and chicken tonight. So yeah, I’m bringing you with me. No buts.”

Yoongi huffs in mock annoyance and shrugs. “I was planning on coming tonight.” His plan to finish writing the lyrics was a bust. It seems to backfire on him. He wanted to dedicate the song to Hoseok, because he was the source of Yoongi’s confusion, and it doesn’t look like he can do that anytime soon without Hoseok knowing. 
 

Operation Write-A-Song-For-Hoseok-And-Pray-He-Returns-Yoongi’s-Feelings (or Operation Song) is a total failure. That, however, wasn’t going to stop Yoongi. Once he’s determined to do something, he won’t stop until he does achieve it.



+++

ii.

Yoongi scans the kitchen, holding a printed out recipe for strawberry cupcakes. He hopes that Seokjin won’t stumble in because he wants this plan to succeed. He starts off by skimming the recipe and grabbing the utensils and ingredients needed. He needs to make an edible batch and write an equally fulfilling letter, outlining his feelings. As he stirs the batter, he hears shuffling of feet headed towards him. He turns around in time to see Jimin walking in, rubbing his eyes in a half-asleep state. It was 2am after all; he doesn’t want to wake the others up and foil his amazing plan. 


“Yoongi hyung~” Jimin elongates the syllable, smiling.

“Yes, Jiminnie? What do ya need?” Yoongi grumbles. He wants to finish making these darn cupcakes and he doesn’t want Jimin to ruin his chance of doing so.

“I saw the light was on and I couldn’t fall asleep anyway. What’re you making, hyung?”

Yoongi turns back around to face the batter in the bowl on the bench. “Nothing much.”

“Wait,” Jimin squints, “strawberry cupcakes? Ooh! Does Yoongi hyung like someone?”

Yoongi wants to strangle Jimin; how could he be so energetic about this? “Maybe.” He mumbles.

“It’s Hobi hyung, isn’t it? I’ve had an inkling for a while now.”

“How on earth did you—no, you’re definitely psychic.”

“I can help if you want me to, hyung. I won’t tell anyone~” Jimin brings his finger to his lips with a grin.

Yoongi hums. The more help he can get, the better. 

 

However, he quite frankly didn’t imagine it to end like this. There were splotches of batter everywhere, decorating the kitchen, and the flour was dusted likewise. The cupcakes were a whole different story. They were burnt to the point you couldn’t tell if they were charcoal or not.

Operation Confess-To-Hoseok-Through-The-Means-Of-Cupcakes (or Operation Food) was also bust.

+++

There’s a certain teddy bear, wanting to be bought, staring into Yoongi’s eyes. He feels it is almost familiar. Didn’t Hoseok tell him he wanted to buy this but couldn’t because he was broke? Maybe he might have, Yoongi isn’t so sure but he knows one thing for sure. He will buy that damn bear and pray to God that it will inform Hoseok about his feelings. Maybe, quite possibly.

As he reaches out to grab it, he hears a gasp behind him.

“Yoongi hyung?” He turns around to find Taehyung, mouth agape.

“Yes, it is I. Why are you here?”

“Well, Hoseok hyung wanted me to check if there was a sale for this bear. But I think someone beat me to it.” Taehyung laughs.

“I—I was just… checking. Yeah. Checking for new notepads. Mine’s running out of pages.”

“Didn’t you buy one a couple of days ago, though?”

“Yeah, but it was pretty crap. Anyways, I’m going to be off.” Yoongi says, grabbing the bear and paces to the notebook aisle.

Crap. Crap. Crap. He thinks to himself. All he wanted to do was not be suspicious and now that Taehyung knows, his life is over. Taehyung and Hoseok had this weird connection and oh my god, I’m so screwed. 

Yoongi quickly grabs a cheap notebook (and the bear) and goes to the cashier. There wasn’t anyone else in line and he gets annoyed when the cashier throws him a suspicious look and then giggles.

“Who’s it for?” She asks.

“Just… just for a friend.” Yoongi tries to avoid contact but this was proving hard.

“You sure? I’ve never seen men get their ‘friend’ a teddy bear with a giant ing love heart saying ‘I love you; be mine’.” She says, smirking. “Well, pardon my language.”

Yoongi throws a quick look at the bear and lo behold, there was a giant love heart saying ‘I love you; be mine’. Yup. I’m ed.

The cashier hands the paper bag with the bear inside to Yoongi as he pays with his credit card. He grabs it after putting his card back into his wallet.

“Hope she or he says yes!” She says, waving.

Yoongi steps out, and where the heck did Taehyung come from?

“So hyung, you like Hoseok? Actually, that shouldn’t even be a question. Of course you do. You act just like Rap Mon hyung does to Seokjin hyung.” He says.

Yoongi blinks; even this thing knows? He had expected Hoseok and Taehyung to be the last people to know. How did he fail at this? He hums.

“Well, you can’t give it to him now. He’s hanging out with Jungkookie right now. They told me they’d be back after 8.”

-

He waits. Though because he is Yoongi, he doesn’t act like he’s waiting (but Taehyung says otherwise). He occasionally types in possible lyrics and then deletes them. He notices the rough “We’re back, guys!” coming from Hoseok but ignores it because he certainly just didn’t feel relief that Hoseok was back before eight and that he came in carrying food. Bangtan were placed on a strict diet and it had been weeks since they last saw junk food and snacks.

Taehyung, being the little he was, decided to ruin Yoongi’s life. “Hoseok, Yoongi hyung bought something for you!”

Hoseok prances over to Yoongi and starts tickling him. Yoongi does his best to not giggle and keeps his poker face on until Hoseok’s fingers just prance over his neck and Yoongi loses it. He chuckles hard and Hoseok joins in too. Taehyung pulls Hoseok’s hand back while offering the paper bag.

“Hyung bought this especially for you!”

Hoseok opens the bag and squeals. He hugs Yoongi and pecks his cheek (‘No homo, bro’) multiple times.

“I’ve been wanting to give this to my mum for a while now but I couldn’t afford it. Thank you, hyung!”


Yoongi huffs out a breath he didn’t know he was holding and mentally slaps himself. Operation Buy-Hoseok-The-Thing-He-Liked (or Operation Stuffed Bear) failed terribly.


+++

+1.

Hoseok sighs. There’s no use doing this anymore. He had been trying to find Yoongi the entire day to give him a present. It wasn’t his birthday as such, but Hoseok wanted to repay him for the bear. He decides to check once more.


Hoseok makes his way over to the laundry room and he glimpses a tuft of faint red air and a black beanie. He makes his way over to the object in suspicion. Alas, Yoongi is there and is he sleeping, crawled up in the cupboard? Yoongi’s limbs don’t fit perfectly but he manages to make it work. His nose scrunches up before he opens his eyes.

“’Seok? Why are you here?”

Hoseok smiles gently. “I had something to give to you. But you can go back to sleep, if you wish.”

“You’re just making me way too curious about this damn thing. What is it?” Yoongi squints and inspects the room.

“Oh, whoops. I forgot to get it. I’ll be right back, hyung!”

Hoseok heads off and grabs the package, making sure to run back as quick as he could; he didn’t want to make Yoongi wait.

“Here it is. It’s not much.” He hands it over and Yoongi tears the wrapping paper, not bothering to careful with it.

There’s a spiral notebook set with a fountain pen and a bonus purple beanie. “Why?” Yoongi asks.

“Just because. I thought your book was running out and…”

“And what?” Yoongi urges Hoseok to continue.

“I’ve known about your – your little crush for a while. Namjoon played me the track – seriously, hyung? Did you make the beat I was trying to get my head across and produce? Jimin told me about the cupcakes and how you liked one of the rappers in our group. Taehyung told me about the bear. Did you think I wouldn’t find out? Truth be told, I’ve also been hinting at things.” Hoseok takes a deep breath, trying to convey his thoughts. “Remember when I came in while you were writing the lyrics? Before hyung told me, I was very jealous. I thought my efforts had gone to waste. When Jimin told me, I thought you were making it for Namjoon, because you were close with him, and not me. But I… all this time, I thought I was the only one. Thank you, Yoongi. For feeling the same way as me.”

Yoongi blinks, “What?”

“I- I like you too, hyung. This is going to be really embarrassing if you don’t like me back.”

Yoongi reaches forward and smashes his lips against Hoseok’s chapped ones. There weren’t any fireworks exploding and it certainly wasn’t dark outside. But one thing was for sure, for the first time in their lives, they found solace and comfort in someone else’s arms. The rest could wait until later.