The First Kiss is the Sweetest

The First Kiss is the Sweetest

Yifan had always felt he was years ahead of the other children in his kindergarten class and it wasn’t just that he was the tallest by a full inch. He liked to think he was more experienced than any other kids in his whole grade. By age 3 he could already tie his shoes, by age 4 he was off tricycles and on to his training wheel bike or “Big boy bike” as his dad would say, and by age 5 he was able to walk to the bus stop by himself with very little supervision as his mom watched from their porch step. But the coolest thing the boys in his class would say is that he could watch pg13 movies.

“Then the guy called her a…” Yifan looks around to make sure the teacher is well out of ear shot. “crazy .”

All his friends cover their mouths in shock and some of them giggle listening to him talk about the latest teenager approved movie he saw as they gathered around on the playground.

“But what does that mean?” Tao asks lazily hanging over a tire swing. Tao’s a preschooler who sometimes likes to hang around the Kindergartners and they liked having smaller kids around to make them feel older. This is probably why they allow Tao’s friend Oh Sehun to join them as well.

“It means she was being ugly.” Yifan explains sounding knowledgeable, thankful he had asked his dad the same question the night before.

“I thought you could only look ugly.” Chanyeol, Yifan’s best friend lifts up his baseball cap and scratched his head confused.

“Ugly can be on the inside too. When you’re mean to someone you’re ugly and that makes you a .” Yifan sighs, they are so innocent, he thinks.

“Then Baekhyun’s a because he’s mean all the time.” Kyung Soo looks over at the short brunet boy hanging from the monkey bars and everyone laughs.

“Hey, I am not!” Baekhyun retorts trying to kick Kyung Soo with his little shoe but he’s too far to reach.

“So what happened next?” Sehun sits excitedly in his swing with his legs dangling.

“Then the guy grabbed the girl by the shoulders and kissed her a lot.”

“I thought he called her a…” and Jongdae can’t bring himself to say the word, “that word.”

“Yeah but she was hot.” Yifan adds.

“But she’s ugly on the inside.” Tao said confused. “How can you kiss a person like that?”

“It’s just kissing.” Yifan shrugs, he’s seen it done hundreds of times in movies and there were very few reasoning behind it that Yifan could see other than the leading man found the girl attractive.

“I’m only going to kiss the person I like.” Tao nods spinning around on the tire swing.

“You’re just too young. When you’re older you’ll understand that kissing is no big deal.” Yifan says trying to stop Tao who’s spun too hard and is now crying for someone to stop him. While Yifan is preoccupied Kyung Soo rolls his eyes towards Baekhyun who turns his eyes left and right to Chanyeol and Jongdae and they all share a mischievous smile before looking back at their tall hyung. 

“Have you kissed anyone hyung?” Kyung Soo asks.

“Me?” Yifan asks a little off guard because he hasn’t. “N-not yet. But I probably will soon.”

“Too bad…” Chanyeol sighs. “It’s really nice.”

Yifan’s eyes widen as almost all his friends nod in agreement, “Wait, have you all kissed someone already?”

“Yep.” Baekhyun smiles and nods.

“I don’t believe you.” Yifan says crossing his arms over his chest.

“It’s true.” Jongdae says and Yifan almost feels like he has to believe it now because Jongdae never lies.

“You’ve kissed someone Dae?” Yifan asks arms falling to his side.

“I’ve gotten a kiss. Yeah. We all have.”

“From who?” Yifan feels completely left out.

“Yixing.” The boys all say at once like they rehearsed it. Yifan stumbles back falling on his in surprise when they say it. Yixing? His crush Yixing?

“Y-yixing gave you all kisses?” He tries to gather his thoughts.

“He gives everyone kisses.” Chanyeol chuckles.

“He’s never given me a kiss.” Yifan shoots back furious that his best friend has kissed his first crush and didn’t even tell him.

“Really? That’s too bad, Yixing’s kisses are the best.” Baekhyun grins and Yifan feels that word does suit Baekhyun now.

“I want a kiss!” Sehun pouts.

“Me too!” Tao pounds his little fist on the tire, “But not from Yixing.” He sticks out his tongue in disgust.

“If you asked Yixing I’m sure he would give you a kiss, Sehun.” Chanyeol leans over to talk with the little blonde haired boy.

“Hey, cut it out!” Yifan doesn’t like how casually they talk about kissing Yixing.

“Really? Are they really good?” Sehun asks.

“The best. They are so sweet and soft and…”

“Knock it off!” Yifan pushes Chanyeol back but his friend only chuckles.

“Relax hyung. It’s just a kiss, it’s no big deal.” Kyung Soo grins and Yifan knows there’s more behind that smile than he’s showing.

“Hyung if you want one so bad why don’t you go ask him for one?” Jongdae smiles and he looks almost as evil as Kyung Soo.

“I can’t…he wouldn’t…” Yifan can’t imagine going up to Yixing and asking for a kiss.

“It’s ok. He gives them to everyone.” Baekhyun says jumping from the monkey bar he was hanging from. “He’ll definitely give you one.” Baekhyun grabs Yifan and pushes him out of their circle, “Why don’t you go find him.”

“I…” Yifan looks back at his circle of friends and they’re all smiling and ushering him to go. “Ok…Yeah, sure. It’s no big deal.” He says back to them taking off confidently with huge strides but his expression slowly sinks to despair as he goes to find Yixing.

 

-x-

It wasn’t hard to find Yixing. He was always in the sandbox working on some new project. The other day it was a sand family of wild rabbits. Today it seems to be a castle with a mote and a sleeping dragon next to it. A classic.  Yifan always wants to play with Yixing except he gets too nervous to ask and besides he doesn’t like to get dirty but he likes the way Yixing looks with sand sticking to his cheeks, sleeves rolled up to his elbows and hair safely tucked under his backwards turned cap. Somehow it suits him.

“Yixing hyung I finished the mote.” Yixing’s preschool friend Jongin directs his attention to the deep dent in the sand surrounding the castle. Yixing puts his hand in it to test its depth.

“A little more Jongin-shii I don’t want the water spilling over it.” Yixing pats Jongin’s shoulder and he smiles and nods in agreement.

Minseok and Luhan the oldest in their grade are there too but they’re too busy with throwing sand balls at each other they don’t seem to be much help.

“Ah! You hit me.” Joonmyun another of Yixing’s friends whines rubbing his arm as one of Luhan’s stray sand balls flies pass Minseok and hit’s the black haired boy who was working on a little village behind him.

“Sorry, Joonmyun.” Luhan glares at Minseok. “You made me hit Joonmyun! Stop moving!”

“You stop moving!” Minseok says back continuing to throw sand balls more rapidly and Joonmyun feels he’s in danger and moves behind Yixing for protection.

Yifan watches this scene for a moment with a small grin unsure if he wants to interrupt or continue enjoying the show but even though his friends are on the other side of the playground he feels eye’s on him egging him on and he knows he’ll never live it down if they find out he chickened out.  

“Hey Y-yixing” Yifan steps forward and Yixing looks over at him, “Can I talk to you?”

Yixing nods. “I’ll be back.” He says to his friends as he walks to the edge of the sandbox, readies himself and leaps out grinning proudly when he lands it. He rushes to Yifan’s side as he leads him to a corner of the playground not occupied by other students.

“What’s up Yifan-ge?” Yixing asks and the older boy frowns because he’s heard him call Luhan ‘gege’ and doesn’t know why he won’t do the same with him.

“I uh…” Yifan doesn’t even know where to begin. Whether to just ask or lead into, but with Yixing’s curious eyes staring at him he decides to just get to it. “I heard you like giving kisses.”

Yifan closes his eye’s expecting Yixing to shout at such an accusation as he was half hoping his friends were lying but instead he hears him laugh.

“Yeah, I give kisses all the time.” Yifan opens his eyes to find Yixing smiling at him.

“You do?” Yifan asks a little heartbroken. “Why?”

Yixing shrugs still smiling. “They make everyone happy.”

Of course they do. Yifan thinks a little annoyed “But Yixing you shouldn’t do that. Don’t you know that makes you look easy?” Yifan remembers hearing his dad say that about a girl in a movie they watched after she kissed two separate guys. If she was easy for kissing two guys then Yixing was easy for kissing more.

“Easy?” Yixing tilts his head. “What does that mean?”

“It means you should only give kisses to the person you like,” Yifan states.

“But I like everyone.” Yixing giggles and Yifan hates how casually he says it. He suddenly thinks of something that’s been bugging him.

“What about me? Do you not like me?” He asks and he can feel his cheeks go read.

“I like you.” Yixing smiles and he says it so quickly Yifan’s sure he doesn’t know what he means.

“Then…why haven’t you given me a kiss? I want a kiss.” Yifan’s never felt so much like a whiney baby but he can’t help it.

“Oh.” Yixing puts his hand over his mouth. “Sorry, I guess I always just give them to whoever is around me on the playground.”

Yifan wishes he had mustered up the courage to play with Yixing weeks ago so he wouldn’t be in this mess. “Well then…can I have one now?”

“Sure.” Yixing smiles putting his hand in his pocket and stepping closer to Yifan. The taller boy can’t believe how easy Yixing complies. It makes him happy but at the same time he doesn’t like it. Is this how he is with everyone?

Yixing smiles up at Yifan and he manages to smile back though his heart is practically beating out his chest, he isn’t sure what to do he’s never done this before. Yixing’s the more experienced one so he should start. However Yifan doesn’t want Yixing to think he’s never kissed anyone before so he decides he will take the lead.

Yifan takes hold of Yixing’s shoulders and leans down tilting his head slightly like he’s seen in movies a hundred times. He presses his lips to Yixing and holds him there. He can’t really taste that Yixing is sweet like Chanyeol said though he does smell a hint of chocolate and his lips are soft. Yifan thinks he likes this a lot. He suddenly notices Yixing is shaking so he pulls away to see his eyes are starting to water.

“W-what are you doing?” Yixing asks on the verge of tears. Yifan looks at him questioningly.

There’s a sudden eruption of noise from behind him and he turns to find all his friends watching him and laughing.

“Oh my gosh, I thought you would just look dumb when you ask for a kiss and Yixing hands you candy but you actually went for it!” Chanyeol laughs slapping his hand to his knee.

“Candy?” Yifan looks back at Yixing whose hand is still outstretched to see a little foiled chocolate kiss sitting there.

“You…you give everyone candy?” Yifan almost can’t breathe. He runs his hands through his hair looking panicked. He then turns his attention to his friends and runs at them. “You asses!”

Yixing suddenly breaks out into a loud cry for the teacher. “Ms. Kim, Ms Kim! Yifan he-he put his lips on mine!”

Yifan turns back to Yixing. “Oh no.”

-x-

 

Yifan can add getting sent to the principal’s office to his list of experiences now because that’s where his little stunt lands him. His parents and Yixing’s parents are both called in and if Yifan’s ever felt like a child it was now.

“We appreciate your understanding in this Mr. and Mrs. Zhang. We hope to never have an incident like this happen again don’t we, Mr. Wu?” Principal Lee says eyes narrowing on Yifan as he nods looking down at his shoes. Yixing is in the room too holding his mom’s hand and still sniffling from crying so much earlier. Yifan wonders if his kissing is really that bad.

“We’re sure it won’t. Yixing has always spoken highly of Yifan and says he’s a good friend. I’m sure he didn’t mean anything by it.” Yixing’s mother smiles and Yifan is stunned at how beautiful she is and if he was older he might be able to pull off a ‘Now I see where Yixing gets his good looks.’ But he can’t say that now. It probably wouldn’t help his case.

“What do you say Yifan?” Mrs. Wu nudges her son forward. He stumbles a little looking up at her and then at Yixing.

“Sorry...” He says looking down at the floor. The only place he feels comfortable staring.

“It’s ok,” Yixing says in a shy whisper still clinging to his mother.

“Good, now we’re all friends again. If I could just talk with the parents for a moment?” The Principal chimes in.

“Wait in the hall with Yixing for us Yifan and don’t try anything.” Mr. Wu instructs his son. Yifan nods obediently but wants to roll his eyes. Yeah like he’d do anything after causing this big mess.

Yifan and Yixing sit far from each other on a bench outside the office. Yifan glances over at Yixing but he doesn’t seem to want anything to do with him as he looks the opposite way.

“Psst...Yixing?” Yifan starts and the small boy doesn’t look over but Yifan talks anyway. “Look, I’m really sorry. I didn’t mean to make you cry. Honest.”

Yixing doesn't say anything and Yifan can only sigh in fustration at how bad things turned out.Scared he might have ruined things with Yixing forever.

“Why did you do it?” Yixing suddenly asks. His head turns so quickly it makes Yifan almost jump.

“Well I...the other boys, they told me you like giving kisses…” Yifan sighs. He’s never going to listen to his friends again.

“You thought I did that?” Yixing looks shocked, “I would never do that with just anyone.”

“I knew you wouldn’t.” Yifan smiles but it quickly leaves when he sees Yixing’s eyes start to water again and he covers them with his hands to hide his tears.

“Oh, Yixing please don’t cry. I didn’t know you hated kissing so much.”

“It isn’t that.” Yixing wipes his cheek. “But…I wanted the person I marry to be my first kiss.”

Yifan wonders if confessing he wants to marry him will help any but decides against it. “You can still get married.” He says instead.

“No one will want to marry me now.” Yixing cries more.

“Sure they will, you’re sweet and kind and cute and everything anyone could want.” Yifan says. Yixing’s tears stop and he’s just staring at him now. “And…If no one wants to marry you still then...then I’ll marry you.” He hiccups at his last words and wonders if Yixing finds this at all comforting but the little brunet isn’t crying anymore so maybe he does.

“Really?” Yixing asks sniffling up a stray boogie before wiping it on his sleeve and Yifan thinks even that is adorable. “Promise?” he holds up his pinky.

“Promise,” Yifan smiles taking his pinky in his. He feels a little better now that he might have a chance with the dimpled angel. He just has to keep everyone else away from him until he’s ready to get married.

“Now Yifan promise us you won’t kiss Yixing again.” Mrs. Wu says looking at her son in the rear view mirror as they drive home.

“I won't.” Yifan says sluggishly leaning his head against the glass window staring out onto the road before pondering a question.

“Hey mom, for how long?” Yifan asks abruptly.

“Hm?”

“How long until I can kiss Yixing again?” Yifan asks and his parents exchange glances realizing now that their son is probably gay.

“Not for a long, long time.” Yifan’s father cuts in. “At least ten years.”

I can’t wait that long. He thinks to himself huffing “Alright.”

-x-

 

Yixing takes his books out from his locker when he is met with hands over his eyes. “Guess who?” says a voice.

“My sudden doom.” Yixing answer’s and the hands remove themselves.

“Hey you got it right.” Yifan smiles at him as Yixing turns around to face him. “Happy 15th birthday Yixing,” He says placing a small box in Yixing’s hands and taking his books in the process.

“Already? Shouldn’t you wait till the party tonight?” Yixing asks though he is already unwrapping the box.

“I didn’t want it getting lost amongst the others gifts.” Yifan watches as Yixing turns the box over onto his other hand to display a little chocolate kiss. At first he seems confused but then his mouth curves into a soft smile.

“Must you remind me of bad memories?” Yixing sighs looking up at the other.

“What was a bad memory for you was a great memory for me. Also I made a promise that day,” Yifan smiles.

“Ah, to marry me if I can’t find anyone,” Yixing nods, “But I don’t think I’ll have that problem anymore.”

“Not that one.” Yifan leans in placing one hand on Yixing’s locker the other cuping Yixing’s cheek bringing him forward. He takes Yixing’s lips in his and he can definitely taste him this time, sweet like the sweet milk tea he probably had that morning. Yixing parts his lips slightly and Yifan kisses him more deeply almost pushing him into the locker before he feels the smaller boy’s arms push him away gently.

“What was that?” Yixing asks, flushed and smiling.

“I made a promise to my parents that day that I wouldn’t kiss you for another ten years.” Yifan grins, “Now I finally can.”

Yixing shakes his head, “But Yifan we’ve been dating since we were 13. We’ve kissed like a thousand times.”

“Yeah but now my dad can’t yell at me for it.” Yifan places one more kiss on Yixing’s lips before hooking his arm around his boyfriend’s neck walking with him down the hall.

“Hey this isn’t seriously all you’re giving me is it?” Yixing examines the candy before looking sideways at Yifan. “Chanyeol said you’ve been saving money for three months.”

“Well they shouldn’t place an arcade right by the music store in the mall.” Yifan says and is met with a jab to his side.

“And why didn’t you tell me about that promise you made to your parents? I never would have kissed you before if I knew.”

“That’s exactly why I didn’t tell you. Because then I couldn’t do this.” Yifan leans down and kisses Yixing’s lips again while his head is turned towards him. Yixing wipes it away like he’s disgusted.

“Ew…Ms. Kim, Ms Kim!” He calls out before Yifan coves his mouth playfully looking around for their old kindergarten teacher.

 

A/N: Yeah...I wasn't really sure how to end this. lol Hope you liked it anyway! Please comment! Thank you for reading!