Why, sweetheart?

Reasons

It all started when Jackson was five. He had come home from kindergarten and jumped straight into his mother's hug with continuous sobs.

 

"I hate him. I hate him. I hate him." He repeatedly said. 

"Who do you hate, sweetheart?"

"Mwark." His mother lightly chuckled but he was so busy crying he didn't hear it.

"Why, sweetheart?" His mother had asked.

"His nose is cwuter than mwine." He explained in between sobs.

"But that is not possible, honey. You have the cutest nose on Earth." She had said.

 

But it only made him cry harder. Did she say something wrong?

 

"You don't undewstwand. His nose is cwuter than cwutest." His mother wanted to laugh so hard but he didn't need to know that.

"I understand, sweetheart. So, why don't you make him as you friend so that you both would be friends with the cutest nose?"

 

And it worked. Jackson stopped crying and lookoed at his mother with the eyes that could melt everyone's heart.

The next day, he came home and hugged his mother with a big smile.

 

"Me and Mwark are fwiends with the cwutest nose now."

 

And never had his mother smiled so proudly in her life.

 

 

 

 

It happened again when Jackson was in primary school. He had come home from school and went straight to his mother with teary eyes.

 

"What's wrong sweetheart?" 

"I hate him. I hate him. I hate him." He repeatedly said.

"Who do you hate, sweetheart?" And it somehow felt like a deja vu.

"Mark."

"Why, sweetheart?" 

"He got better results than I did."

"But honey, you did great on your test. Why are you so upset?" She had asked.

 

It only made the boy look at his mother with tears threatening to fall in his eyes.

 

"You don't understand. His results are better." His mother patted his back and smiled softly.

"I understand, sweetheart. So, why don't you ask him to teach you so that you would be as smart as him?"

 

It worked. His teary eyes were gone. 

And the next day, Jackson came home with his toothy grin.

 

"He agreed to teach me so that I could be as smart as him."

 

And never in her life had she seen her son studying more than playing.

 

 

 

 

 

 She knew it once again when her son came home from his middle school with pouty lips. She had gone to him and patted his shoulders.

 

"What's eating you up, sweetheart?"

"I hate him. I hate him. I just hate him." He had answered.

"Who?" She knew she shouldn't ask the question which she already knew the answer.

"Mark."

"Why, sweetheart?" 

"I lost to him in basketball." He replied with a slow voice.

"But honey, you're the best at basketball."

 

She knew it didn't work when her son pouted even more. And she knew his next line.

 

"You don't understand. I lost to him when I am supposed to be the best." She had hugged him tightly.

"I understand, sweetheart. So, why don't you two team up and be the unbeatable pair?"

 

It worked when she saw her son's disappearing pout.

The next day, he had come home with the biggest smile and went to his mother.

 

"We teamed up today and beat everyone else. We're unbeatable in basketball now."

 

And never had she felt like crying with a smile before.

 

 

 

 

 

Years passed and Jackson is now in high school. No more hating Mark, his mother wishes. 

And when she sees her son entering their house with a smile and a warm vibe, she knows what's coming. 

Jackson goes to his mother who is watching the television and lays his head in her lap. He sighs in content.

 

"I hate him, you know?"

"Who? Mark?"

"Yep. Mark." And now, it feels like a routine.

"Why, sweetheart?" 

"I hate that he can make me fall in love with him every time I look at him."

"Of course, sweetheart. He's your boyfriend afterall."

 

And even if she could, she would never turn back time.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Author's note: Hope you like it! Thanks for reading! Lots of love, WG