1/1

A Thousand Cranes


Daehyun carefully folded the flimsy and fragile piece of paper. His touch was gentle as the crane slowly came alive under his fingers. This is the last one, the last crane before his wish would be granted. As he adjusted the head of the crane, he smiled and placed it in the box where the other 999 cranes were kept. He clasped his hands together and closed his eyes. He made a wish earnestly, the most sincere he has ever made in his entire life. Could today mark the day where Daehyun's life would change for the better?

Daehyun stood up to look into the mirror, adjusting his outfit where he deemed unsatisfactory. He felt arms circling around his waist. He didn't have to look to know who it was. The body pressed against him was so familiar he knew it was Youngjae, his lover. Daehyun turned around and smiled.

“You ready?” Daehyun asked. Youngjae simply nodded his head as he grinned.

Walking out of the house hand in hand, Daehyun rubbed the other's hands to keep Youngjae warm. The walk in the park was sweet and full of laughter. People looked at the pair weirdly- or so Daehyun thought. He brushed it off as them being narrow minded. They snacked on hot dogs and ice cream. Youngjae dropped the snacks when it was handed over to him. Daehyun faked anger but a smile appeared on his face once Youngjae pouted and apologized.

As the day grew later, Daehyun brought Youngjae to the restaurant they both frequent to for dinner. As they sat at their usual spot- the table in the back, beside the window. The waiter serving them placed the menu in front of the pair but they needn't look at it. They placed their usual order and the waiter left quietly after taking the order down.

“You seem rather distracted today,” Youngjae treaded cautiously. “Did something happen?”

Daehyun looked at his other pair, now conscious of his actions and facial expressions. He smiled and took Youngjae's hand in his. “No, nothing happened. At least, not yet.”

“Not yet? What do you mean?”

“You will know what I mean by that later,” Daehyun answered.

Youngjae hummed in reply as he pulled his hand away, looking displeased. He was an impatient man who wants to get what he wants when he wants it. Crossing his arms and pursing his lips, he looks away. Seeing this, Daehyun reaches out to his other half.

“Don't be like this, Jae,” Daehyun pouted. “Okay, I will tell you what it is, but after our meal. Deal?”

Youngjae was silent for a while before facing the other, looking pleased. He nodded. At the same time, the meal ordered by them arrived. Youngjae thanked the waiter but was ignored. Daehyun gritted his teeth but Youngjae paid no heed to that. He has started eating. How impatient.

Daehyun took his time to finish his meal. He wanted to buy himself more time. He was nervous. Butterflies were using military planes to fly and shoot in his stomach, his heart was racing like he just ran up a flight of stairs (that is tiring, alright).

“Why are you not eating? Is the food not to your liking?” Youngjae asked disquietly.

“Oh, no. I like it. I do,” He reassured Youngjae and quickly gobbled his food up.

Daehyun pretended to choke on his food and asked the waiter to bring wine for him. He got scolded by Youngjae for requesting wine. Of course he would.

The wine arrived anyway and by that time, Daehyun managed to convince his partner that he was fine. Daehyun shared a look with the waiter and looked back at his partner. His palms were sweating. He raised his glass and his partner mirrors him as well. Their glass clinked together and each brought the glass towards their lips.

Daehyun eyed Youngjae as they emptied their glass. Youngjae saw the ring. He saw it. Daehyun knows he saw it. Why did Youngjae ignore it though?

“Youngj-” Daehyun started but his phone rang.

“Answer it,” Youngjae uttered coldly.

Daehyun so badly wanted to ignore the phone call and get on with his proposal. He looked at Youngjae's cold and distant eyes one last time before answering his phone.

No greetings, no asking of well-being.

“Where are you now?” The unmistakable voice of Yongguk.

“With Youngjae. Why?” He hissed at the latter on the phone, clearly irritated.

There was a pause. A second too long to be a pause. A breath hitched.

“Stay there,” And with that, the line was cut.

Taking in a deep breath, he let himself relax and cool down. Youngjae's eyes looked dead. Soulless. Lifeless. Dead.

“I am so sorry, Jae,” he apologized. “So, as I was saying. Youngjae, will you marry me? I may not be the best suitor for you but I love and care for you so much. You are the best thing that has ever happened to me. Never have I thought of marriage but after our first date, I knew. I knew you were the one. Why? Cause I thought of marriage. A marriage is a future that is so uncertain and bleak but to think of being in one with you, it seems so bright and certain. So, Youngj-”

Again, he was cut off.

By Yongguk kneeling and shaking him.

“Daehyun, Daehyun,” Yongguk muttered. “Please come to your senses, Daehyun.”

The said man glared at Yongguk. If looks could kill, Yongguk would be underneath in the seventh level of hell.

“Youngjae is dead, Daehyun...” Yongguk trailed off. “He is dead...”

Daehyun pushed Yongguk away from him and stood up, looking at the place where Youngjae is sitting. Or was sitting for he is no longer there. A sense of disbelief and dread blanketed Daehyun.

“No, no, no. You're lying. He was here moments ago! He was here!” Daehyun yelled.

“Exactly. He was here. Was. Now he is not anymore,” Yongguk stood up as well.

Daehyun looked at Yongguk with such melancholy and pain in his eyes, Yongguk couldn't bear looking at him.

“Let's go home, okay,” Yongguk carefully said and extended his arms to Daehyun.

Daehyun couldn't think so he followed Yongguk's lead blankly. Back in his house, wrapped in duvet that the two used to share, on the bed the two used to sleep on was where Yongguk lead Daehyun to. He didn't mind however for Daehyun got his answer.

“Yes.”

 

 

[[ my first fanfic >.< and feedbacks are very much welcomed.]]