Final~

The Secrets Keeper
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It's a one-shot...nothing special...Did you expect that? I bet not :D
 

Why on Earth electricity had to go off? Out of everything that could have stopped, life decided to deprive Kibum from light at night. Wasn’t light vital? Then why did it stop? People had to know that one couldn’t live with no light. Well in the case Kibum at least could absolutely not live without light to guard him at night.

The weather outside was awful – It was snowing without a stop for already two days and the situation was announced being critical. Many electricity poles had fallen so the bigger part of Seoul was left without electricity…that part included Kibum’s neighborhood.

His parents as well weren’t home to make things worse. They both worked as doctors in one of Seoul’s biggest hospitals and because of the many urgencies they had to be there that night– taking care of the endless queue of people that were affected by the situation in some way – being hit by ice pieces, fallen on their way home, sick because of the coldness or hurt in endless other kinds of ways.

The feline-eyed diva on his side didn’t like the fact that he was left alone. One thing he was terrified of was the dark and now he was surrounded by darkness. Only the candle glow of the five lightened candles were throwing some dim light around his room and that was absolutely not enough for the boy that was hiding under his blanket, trying to fall asleep.

He was not a big baby, who couldn’t sleep in darkness. No, it was a normal thing for him to turn off the lights and go to bed, but now he had no one at home and knew that even if he tried to turn on the lights it wouldn’t work. That’s why he couldn’t stop himself but to think that some weird horrifying scenario from a scary movie could be brought to life that night.

He couldn’t busy his mind with a movie even. The battery of his laptop had died a long time ago and he was trying to save his phone’s one because it had downed to 50% already.

Suddenly the said device started going off. Who could’ve been calling him at that time of the night? It was already 10pm and the whole thing with ringing phones didn’t look too good to Kibum.

But after all it was most possible for the person on the other side to be either his mother or father. That’s why Kibum reached with a shaking hand towards his nightstand and picked his phone from there, checking the ID before anything.

It was an unknown number but maybe his parents’ battery had died as well and they had borrowed a phone from some of their colleagues. They knew how much Kibum hated staying in the dark and wanted to make sure he was Ok, right?

Assured by those thought the boy slid his finger across the screen while holding the answering button and put the device to his ear, his breath hitching in his throat in anticipation of who was calling him.

“H-Hello?” He answered hesitantly.

“Oh, hi…” A cheerful voice greeted him from the other side.  Though that didn’t make the boy less worried since it wasn’t the voice of either his parents. “Uhm…please don’t hang up…” The person hurried to say. “I just want to talk to someone because at home we’re out of electricity and it’s really boring here.” He explained.

“Do we know each other?” Kibum asked, confused by the other’s sincere explanation.

“No, I don’t think we do. I’m just calling random numbers because my best friend’s battery died and we can’t talk. But most of the time I come across old people who yell at me…You’re…not one of them…are you?” He asked hesitantly.

“I’m not old…I’m still in high school…but I don’t know why I’m telling you this because at the end you could turn out to be a psycho from a horror movie scenario that wants to kill me.” The diva narrowed his eyes.

“Oh…that wouldn’t be nice, would it?” The boy on the other side laughed. Since he didn’t hear an immediate reply he stopped. “Hello, are you still there? Please, don’t hang up…I promise I’m not a psycho. I was just kidding, I didn’t think I’d scare you with that…Sorry.” He apologized. “To make it easier for you I can even introduce myself. If you want of course.” He suggested.

“Do it then.” Kibum nodded even when there was no one to see that. Even when that stranger still seemed too suspicious to him, he managed to pull him out of his anxious state and that gave Key a reason to at least give him a chance.

“OK…My name is Kim Jonghyun and I’m 19 – last year in high school. Here…did it make you feel better now? Will you talk to me?”

The diva-like boy sighed. Well no one had told him that the stranger said the truth…. Yet again Kibum didn’t feel scared anymore and preferred to stay on the phone rather than hide under the blankets, waiting for something bad to happen.

“I don’t know what about to talk with a stranger but OK, why not…At least I’ll have something to do instead of staying alone in the dark.”  He moved the blankets aside and sat in his bed.

“Ah…so you have no electricity as well? That means we live somewhere close.” Jong chuckled from the other side.

“Don’t expect me to tell you where I live.” Kibum narrowed his eyes. “’Cause even if you want to I’m not going to tell you.”

“Ani, ani…I’m not going to ask that. I told you that I’m not a creep.” The other assured. “But won’t you at least tell me a name…or at least a nickname by which I can call you?” He asked.

Kibum thought for a few moments. Well for that, Jonghyun had a point. He couldn’t go around by “Yah!” right? But telling him his name just like that was going to be stupid of him so a nickname happened to appear as the best option. The diva smiled to himself and stated talking again.

“You can call me Key. My best friend calls me that. You should feel honored because only she knows that nickname…Even my other friends are not aware that this nick exists.” He chuckled. “It’s like a code name.” 

“Aww, then I feel privileged.” Jong laughed. “Anyways...what do you want to talk about? Music? I guess music is the thing everyone begins with.” Jonghyun suggested.

“Ok…let’s talk about music then.” Key agreed. “What music do you like, Jonghyun?”

“Me? Hmm…something like Younha, Epic High and Zion T? Though I also listen to a lot of the now trending groups like EXO, VIXX and so on…” He explained. “How about you Key? Do you have a favorite group?”

“Waah….you just listed some of my favorite performers. But I like BoA, Ailee, Infinite and f(x) as well. Don’t you like groups like 4minute and AOA? Most boys would choose them as their favorite groups now…you know because of the oh-so-modern y concept of their MV-s? “ Kibum laughed. “Though I get it…It’s all natural for boys.”

“Uhm…let’s say that I’m not into that kind of girls…” The other murmured. “I don’t like the y concept very much.”

“Right? It’s not that good…Producers make girls look ty.” Key laughed, starting to like that Jonghyun guy he was talking to. It seemed like they have pretty much common interests and their point of view was the same.  “Then what kind of girls do you like?” He asked out of curiosity.

This time only silence met him from the other side. It made Kibum wonder if the other was still there. And if he had hung up then what had Kibum done to offend him…or was he too boring companion? That would have been rude of the other to just ditch him like that without saying even goodbye, wouldn’t it?

“Hello? Jonghyun…you still there?”

“Uh? Oh, sorry…I was just thinking…how to say it so it wouldn’t sound weird…”

“What? Is your ideal type something strange? Oh…you like older woman? It’s Ok, you know…everybody are free to like whatever they want…feelings are feelings and we’re not in charge to control them.” The diva reassured him.

“Do you really think like that? Then should I go straight forward…but promise you won’t hang up on me when you hear my ideal type, OK?” Jong made him promise, hoping that the other would really keep his promise…if he even was up to do it.

“OK…It’s not like I’m someone who can judge you…So don’t worry…Just think of me as someone anonymous you can tell anything.” He giggled, but stopped so his new kind-of-friend can continue.

“OK…You promised, so I’m telling you…. I don’t like girls. I actually am into boys.” Jonghyun confessed and stopped.

This time he was the one to be meet by silence.

“Key….Key, are you there?” He asked but the other didn’t answer. “Aish…I knew I shouldn’t have told you…it always goes like this.” He hissed but his words were cut by the other’s voice again.

“Is that it? Why would you feel ashamed to say it? It’s not like it’s a crime or something…If you think it’s bad then you’re offending me…” He laughed. “And no, I’m not saying it to make you feel better…I actually used to date a friend of mine some years ago…he was my first ever boyfriend…but then he went to study abroad and we just couldn’t keep our relationship like this so we decided that it was better to separate.” Kibum said. “See, it’s not bad if I can say all those things.”

“So you don’t think I’m weird for being into boys instead of girls?” Jong wanted to make sure.

“Of course not…You must be deaf to think I am after what I told you.”

”Sorry….” Jonghyun apologized even though he didn’t really know what for. He just felt like he had to do it in case the other decided to get offended because of something.

“Now that was strange.” The younger laughed. “Whatever let’s ditch that topic. Say…do you like someone?”

“Isn’t that a little too personal to ask about?”

“Pfft…I told you to think of me as an anonymous…friend…So you can share. Of course only if you feel like it.” The diva folded his legs, resting his back against the headboard of the bed and put the phone on his thigh, turning it on speaker to make it more comfortable for himself. Somehow he started to really enjoy talking to the guy…Good friendship could come out of that he thought.

“Ah…right…well Ok then…I like a guy from the school I go to… Aand...should I mention names?” He asked.

“Feel free to tell me whatever you want.”

“OK…his name is Kibum.” That made the diva chuckle, hearing that the boy the other liked had the same name as him. The name Kibum really was commonly used. However he tried to keep quiet so the other wouldn’t think he was laughing at him. “But I don’t know if I could ever ask him out. You know - I feel like we’re on a different level.  And he’s always with his friends…so it’s not that simple. And the fact that he’s taller than me makes it more complicated…’cause I’m pretty short..ugh I hate my height.” He hissed.

“Oh, height doesn’t matter if you ask me…You should give yourself a chance and ask him out… The good luck might be on your side, who knows…You’ll never know until you try.” Key encouraged him.

“But he might not be into guys…Did you consider that idea?” The elder asked. “I think it’s better to wait for now.”

“Hm, you’re right about that.”

That way they continued to talk for a long, long time, both enjoying the conversation, however, soon the feline-eyed boy felt sleepy. And it was high time because the time was close to 5 in the morning.

“Jonghyun…I think I’ll go to sleep now… Thank you for talking to me…I really think I wouldn’t have been able to sleep if I stayed alone the whole night and after you called I at least had someone to talk to during the time.”

“Good night then Key...No actually…good morning? Whatever, sleep well.” Jong chuckled and  was about to hang up but the younger stopped him.

“Wait!”

“Neh?”

“Uhm…Can I save your number? We can talk some other time too…If you want to...” He blushed for no reason. Why since he only wanted to safe that new friend?

“Oh, of course you can…You can add me on Kakaotalk if you want to as well.” He said and told the diva his ID.

After that they said their goodbyes and hung up. Now even with the lack of electricity Kibum fell asleep immediately. He was too tired to think of anything different than rest.

Kibum stumbled out through the front steps of his house, almost falling into the hands of his best friend.

“Yo, man, easy!” The boyish-looking girl that was waiting for him outside warned, catching her friend before he hit the pavement.  “What have you done last night to look like that now?” She asked, inspecting his face for anything suspicious. “God, you have horrible dark circles.” She scrunched her nose. “I’ll have to ask Krystal to fix your face a little…Good that she always brings make-up kit around.” She chuckled.

“My parents weren’t home last night.” The boy informed her, starting to walk along with her towards their school.

“So you were alone? In the dark? Keeey~ You should have called me…You know that you can call me whenever…I would have come to keep you company so you wouldn’t be scared…Were you? Poor Kibummie.” She really seemed worried about her friend, knowing about his phobia of darkness.

“Don’t worry Amber…It wasn’t that bad.” He turned towards her with a smile blooming on his face.

“Are you sick? I think something has happened to you so now you can’t think straight.” Amber put a hand on his forehead but Kibum pulled away, rolling his eyes at her over-reacting.

“I told you…I’m fine. Actually something really weird happened but it helped me. Some guy called and at first I thought that he was some erted old ajushi, but it came out that he’s only a year older than me and was calling people because he was bored.” The diva laughed. “So whatever, we somehow started a conversation, can you believe it, and it came out that he’s actually really nice and we have common interests in music and all… Isn’t that just strange? But anyway we exchanged Kakaotalk IDs and we’re gonna keep in touch.”

“Are you sure that he’s not some criminal going around searching for victims?” The girl narrowed her eyes, stopping in front of Kibum and putting her hands on his shoulders. “I’m just worried about you know that, right? I don’t want you to get in trouble because you trust people too easily. So promise me you were careful and he’s not dangerous.”

“Of course he’s not. Don’t worry that much.” The diva giggled. “I care for myself and I wouldn’t put myself in danger.” He assured her.

“OK, if you’re sure then I approve.” She nodded and removed her hands from his shoulders, continuing on her way to the school.

“Hey, Key…whatcha doin’?” The phone of the diva vibrated. He looked at the desk to make sure that his Biology teacher wasn’t looking in his direction and unlocked his phone.

“I have Biology. My teacher is really evil and will kill me if he sees I’m using my phone in his class. But whatever, who cares…How are you today Jonghyun?” He typed back but just as he sent the message hi teacher smashed his hands on his desk and he looked up terrified.

“Seems like Kibum here has a lot of time and instead of using it on learning something new he preferred to put his attention into contacting friends through social networks. It was social networks…the thing it was called, right?” The old man looked at the class. A few of the students chuckled but he sent them glares and the noise immediately stopped. “Ah, however. Kibum is using his phone and that means he already knows the methods of transcription and translation…Would you mind explaining them to us Kibum.” He smirked evilly and made a gesture to Kibum to stand up and explain the lesson to the other students who were watching at him with pity.

“Of course, Mr. Park.” The young boy stood up and walked to the desk.

At the end of the class the teacher was almost going to blow off in anger that he couldn’t write another grade but A+ to the student who had explained everything perfectly… Of course Kibum knew that with a teacher like Mr. Park he had to be prepared to know everything, every minute, every day.

Though until lunch break he didn’t touch his phone. And why? He had art class and then music…why would he want something and especially one unimportant like his phone to interrupt his favorite part of school.

After these two classes he walked with Amber and Taemin to the school cafeteria and sat down on a table, finally opening his Kakao account.

He had 20 new messages.

"I'm bored, I'm in class as well."

"Key?"

“Key. ^_^”

“Keeeey~”

“Are you there?”

“Are you’re not?”

“Why aren’t you?”

“Why aren’t you answering? *pouts*”

“Are you avoiding me?”

“Am I that annoying?”

“Of course I am…”

“Then I’ll stop.”

“See I stopped….”

“But Key, I’m bored! *puppy eyes*”

“Ok, what to do so you answer me?”

“It’s so booooring here…just talk to me, please! OTL”

“KEYYYYY….Key, Key, Key!”

“ANSWER MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!”

“Please?”

The feline-eyed boy laughed Jonghyun was just being adorable now. In other cases yes, he would have taken that as annoying but he was the one to turn off his 3g at first place so now he just started typing again in case to reassure Jonghyun that he had not ditched him.

“YAH! I’m not gone, OK?”

“ My teacher caught me typing and it’s all your fault that he made me explain the whole lesson in front of the class…”

Kibum left his phone aside, waiting for an answer from the other side, wondering what the elder would say about his reply.

The answer indeed came faster than Kibum expected. He unlocked his phone and read Jong’s message again.

“OMG! I’M SORRY… HIT ME! *lowers head* DID YOU GET INTO TROUBLE BECAUSE OF ME? I’M SOWWY KEY~”

Key laughed at the written and shook his head, typing back once again.

“Aish, it was annoying but don’t worry….You’re forgiven: I got A+ so..thank you…at some point I got it because of you.”

He put his phone down and looked up at Taemin and Amber who were chatting about some new fast-food café that was opening that day and they both wanted to go and stuff themselves with unhealthy food.

“Hyung…are you coming with us? It will be so much fun. Onew hyung is coming too…He loves chicken and people say that they make amazing fried chicken there.” Taemin bounced on his seat in excitement.

“Unhealthy food? No thanks, I’ll pass…I prefer salad and a sandwich instead of burgers and fries. “ Kibum shook his head.

“Aish, you’re not fun at all.” Amber tsked and looked back at Tae, their talk about the café continuing further.

Luckily the diva’s phone vibrated again and he didn’t have to listen to the conversation about the café longer.

“Key, my friend here told me that they’re opening a new café at (address). Are you going?”

“No I don’t like unhealthy food…I prefer to pass.” Kibum wrote back.

“OH! Me too, me too~” He read and smiled. “Then I’ll call you when I get home, OK?”

“Neeh~ Hyung.” The diva wrote. “But I’m leaving my phone now…I have to talk to my friends or they’ll forget me keke.”

“Neh, bye Key.”

“Waah look at him, look at him…He won’t ever leave his phone. Yah

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter