One More Time

One Last Time

“I need to be the one, who takes you home”

— Ariana Grande, One Last Time


 

In which Jung Eunji has tried so hard to find a Prince Charming.

-

He got used to see her puffy eyes and cheeks bloated, also the tears stains all over her face, ruining the pretty face she actually had. His smile still lingered as he saw her stepped closer.

“Who’s doing the breakup?” he casually asked, pressing the on button of the coffee machine. He sneaked a peek on her, who was busy choosing the cakes.

“Him,” she answered automatically, she still eyed the cakes – choosing between red velvet and chocolate truffle.

And as always, without hesitation, he took the slice of red velvet cake and put it on the counter, along with the cup of Americano. He grinned slightly at the younger and shook his head when he saw the female took out her purse, intended to pay.

“… It’s okay,” he said. “I know since the beginning he’s an ,” he shrugged, “You’ll find someone better than him.”

As always.

“You think so?” she hesitantly asked.

“I know so.” he nodded, “You’re an amazing woman with beauty and brain. If he can’t see your worth, then it’s his loss…” his lips tugged a soft smile as she started to smile. “… There you go, smile and end this night without wasting tissues, okay? Tissues are expensive,”

She chuckled, “Thank you so much, Kang Minhyuk, I owe you my life,”

“You’re so much welcome, Jung Eunji,” he waved at the female, “Have a good night,”

She nodded, “I’ll try.”

As always.

-

Working as an editor was not as great as what people thought. It’s the kind of tiring and boring, you know. Well, the pros of being an editor are that you don’t need to worry about coming late to work, because hey, editors can work at home! And you don’t need to look pretty every day because you can edit the articles or the stories and send the edited ones via email. Easy right? And you only need to come to office at the first weeks every month, just to show your job results to your chief. And the most important part – salary. It’s enough to pay for you rent, to buy you decent foods, dresses, shoes, bags, makeup, and if you’re good at saving, maybe in few years you can go on vacation to Europe.

Amazing, don’t you think?

Well yeah, for Jung Eunji, she loved every part of being an editor for one of the most promising publishing company in town and also a freelance editor for Dispatch – which by the way, doesn’t want to sound bragging, but she edited the whole stuffs about the scandal between a rookie singer Byun Baekhyun and four-year-older lover, ballad singer and song-writer Kim Taeyeon, making it sounded more ‘scandalous’ than how it should be.

Kim Taeyeon (25) is caught on a car-date with a rookie singer Byun Baekhyun (22) sound so lame, right? On her magic hands, she edited it into Kim Taeyeon is busted dating four-years-younger rookie singer Byun Baekhyun. Cougars alert?

No, don’t take it personally, okay? She did that to raise attention of the viewers. The more harsh comments to the celebrities, the more successful an editor is – it’s Jung Eunji’s golden quote.

She enjoyed editing the stories, making it sounded more dramatic and sometimes too much. She enjoyed reading something that has never been published before, it somehow made her feeling like almighty. You know, she knew one story’s ending before people did.

Being an editor, also have the cons. And one of the cons is that you can’t socialite enough with people. Firstly, Jung Eunji didn’t think this as a con – because please, she loved the idea of doing things by her own. But when she got older, she started to realize that she needed someone. And this ‘someone’ is not just someone. She needed someone caring and loving. She needed someone to hug her, telling things gonna be okay when they aren’t. She needed someone to hold her hands when she was cold in winters. She needed someone to cook for her when she was sick.

Jung Eunji desperately needed a boyfriend.

She obeyed her mother’s offer to on several blind dates. She agreed on going on dates with those guys that her mother said potentially awesome to be her partner. She agreed on wearing some nice dresses to meet some guys that she has never knew before in her life.

But look at her. She still there, desperately wants a Prince Charming. All the males that she was going on dates with, indeed ended as relationships – which would be ended sooner or later – which would put her on another restart.

If only Eunji was able to edit her love life.

-

Ex #1: Lee Jongsuk.

A doctor – specialty a pediatrician.

They met on a cliché meeting, their mothers were friends from the same middle school and they were stuck between bragging mothers, trying to sound like the best mother in the world. They were sitting at the corner, watching the moms chatting about golden times, leaving the youngsters behind.

Their conversation started with, “, my reception is horrible. I’m sorry, but do you know the Wi-Fi password here?” from Eunji and “No, I was also just about to ask you that…” from the other.

Their gazes met. Their stories began.

And it ended because Lee Jongsuk was too busy taking care of his patients, then fell in love with a single mother, whose son was being treated by him.

 

Ex #2: Kim Woobin.

A model – specialty a fashion runway model.

Their first meeting was either awkward or cute. They went to the same laundry place, and Eunji’s turn was after him. Maybe because the male was in hurry, he left almost a half of his clothes inside the washing machine, leaving the female gaped in awe. Eunji ran after him and reminded him about the clothes, which then Eunji found he looked cute flushing pink like that.

Their conversation started with, “… It’s embarrassing, but do you like kimchi stew?” Ugh. Eunji disliked kimchi stews, it reminded her on how horrible her mother’s cooking, but because the male had such you-can’t-skip-me-at-all face, so Eunji nodded eagerly.

They exchanged numbers. They went on a simple date. Their stories began.

It ended because both of them were just too self-centered, the one wanted her to come to every runway he’s on, and the other wanted him to understand that her works has deadlines. They couldn’t reach a closure, so they decided to separate.

 

Ex #3: Kwon Jiyong.

A singer – specialty hip hop and looking very eccentric.

Their first meeting was because of the waiter in some club. Eunji was exhausted because she has just finished editing more than 500 pages soon-to-be published novel – in addition, the novel was way too depressing – it’s about a guy falling in love with his best friend and willing to wait for her, but then in progress he instead find himself falling for his best friend’s sister. Eunji glanced all over the place, finding a cute guy sitting two tables away from her. She called the waiter and asked him to give a glass of cocktail to his table. But maybe, because the music was just too loud, instead of two, he gave it to table 4.

Their conversation started with, “… Hello,” from him and “… I’m terribly sorry but it supposed to be the guy on table 2, not you…” What amazed her that time was that he only shrugged as if it’s nothing then sat beside her and started to talk about music.

She got interested and they chatted. The music filled their days.

It ended with some music too. Eunji and him has never been on a good talk if it’s not about music.

 

Ex #4: Kim Jongin.

A professional photographer – specialty on candid pictures on humans and views.

No, Eunji didn’t know that he’s younger than her when they first met. He looked so mature, so Eunji thought he’s about twenty something on their first meeting. He was responsible for the cover story of the novel that about to publish, and Eunji needed to make sure it’s perfect. He’s relaxed, reticent, could pull off a delicious look with only a black pants and white sleeve shirt, with the camera hanging on his neck.

Their conversation started with her flirting (she didn’t know at first, okay? No hate just love at this please), “… You have to be taken,” and he responded with a chuckle. Thinking it was a cue, she continued, “You’re too handsome to be single,” then he marched to her with a devilish grin on his face, he said, “… Well, I’m not taken if you’re interested in me.”

Eunji widened her eyes when she saw him sending a text message to her, asking her to go on a date with him – which she was agreed on second after.

It ended because the more Eunji got to know him, the touchier he would be. Eunji was scared, so she ended it.

 

Ex #5: Lee Jonghyun.

A businessman – specialty a CEO of small entertainment company.

Their first meeting was simply because they applied on virtual dating site online, and they clicked. Eunji liked cooking, so did he. Eunji could sing, he played guitar and bass – and sing too. Eunji liked reading, he liked writing.

Above all relationships she had before, this one was the realest and the most comfortable one for her. It’s because he understood her very well and he treated her like exactly what she expected to be.

They would be lasted for a year if it’s not because the boy group under his entertainment company won three charts on music shows, which meant more fans for them, more money to the company. And it also meant lesser times he got for her. Lesser timer meant more useless argues. More useless argues led to a breakup.

 

Those five males were just teeny tiny bit of dating experiences she’s been through. She never lasted long, approximately eleven months. The latest one was with a fellow editor. They were just dating about two months, and the male already asked her to sleep with him, and of course she refused. Being hurt, the male abandoned him on the street, leaving her alone.

That was why she stopped by at the café under her rented apartment. That place maybe knew her love life better than her mother did.

Talking about the café, the owner of it named Kang Minhyuk. Even he’s obviously the boss, he liked to provide his service for the costumers. He could be the waiter, the coffee maker, dish-washer, or a cashier. He was skilled doing so. And because his café was located on the centre of Seoul, it’s always crowded with the office workers or maybe some schoolgirls that were enchanted with his charm.

Now, let’s talk more about Kang Minhyuk.

Their first meeting was when he gave her a hand when she moved in to the apartment building. It was the kind of odd for Eunji to have such weird chemistry with the male. They talked about things casually, and the conversation went deeper when Eunji found out that both of his parents have just passed away and Eunji had to pay more attention to his mother, who was staying in Busan. They also had a small welcoming party, only the two of them and some of his workers at the café – Yongguk, Leo, Jieun, and Sora.

His physical features were beyond perfect. He sure had nice body, Eunji knew since he always went to gym twice a week – they’re neighbors. He’s living across hers. He played musical instruments – drums, guitar, and piano. His sweet eye-smile is his strongest attraction. To add more fun facts of him, he is helpful, smart, kindhearted, and a sweetheart.

The most important thing was that he would always be there for her after her breakups, giving free beverages and encouraging words, and always bid a farewell in decent ways.

Eunji liked him – like like a friend.

-

Eunji was sitting at the corner, frowning at her laptop. Some of her reporters friends have sent her a picture of Korean Sweetheart, Park Chorong, was caught hand in hand with the one and only heir of Kim Corporation, Kim Junmyeon, at a five-star restaurant.

 

Korean Sweetheart and Richie Rich, everyone?

Everyone is of course have their own ways on spending Valentine’s night, and we are sure that our Korean Sweetheart has her own way — the classy and expensive one, we may add.

On February 14th night, the actress of Plus Nine Boys is caught getting in to the decent restaurant somewhere. Our sources said that the whole restaurant is rented on the name of Kim Junmyeon, yes, the heir of Kim Corporation. They also said that Chorong was delightful and smiley, enjoying the meals and the jokes. Even so, because of her tight schedules, the adorable dinner has to come to the end.

It’s just good news seeing the Korean Sweetheart spending her Valentine’s Day in such breathtaking way. Now we should wait and see how the company responds on this news – confirming or denying (trying not to be so obvious)?

When can we, singles, get a lover like Chorong? ( - JEJ)

 

“You’re frowning,” a voice startled her. Eunji didn’t need to look, because the talker pulled out a chair to sit beside her, “Whoa, it’s Park Chorong! Ck, is she really dating? Lucky bastard,” Eunji smacked his chest playfully. “Is this your work?” he pointed the screen, glancing at Eunji nodding. “As always, being sarcasm.”

“I am not,” Eunji disagreed.

“You are,” Minhyuk crossed his arms, “You’re always being sarcastic when it comes to relationships news. You always try to sound supporting, but somehow I find you’re mocking them for being busted.”

“Of course I have to sound mocking. Who asks them to be busted? Paparazzi is never sleeps, it’s the first golden rule that celebrities should know and understand,” Eunji pouted at the empty glass, “Minhyuk, can I have another—”

“— Nooopeee,” Minhyuk shook his head, “You had five Americano already. I’m not crazy enough to let you have the sixth.”

“But…!”

“Here,” Minhyuk pointed at the table and Eunji followed his eyes, her attention fell into a slice of red velvet cake. “Enough with the black coffee, have some sugar. You can’t work well later.”

Eunji smiled teasingly, “Hmm, why are you so caring for me, Kang Minhyuk? Impossible… Do you somehow like me, Kang Minhyuk? Hmm? Hmm?” her eyebrows wiggled playfully. She chuckled seeing Minhyuk’s cheeks flushed in pink shade, “It’s just a joke, Minhyuk. No need to be so serious,” she even had the audacity to caress his brunette hair, “Your hair smells so nice and so soft…”

“Yah, Jung Eunji, stop…” Minhyuk said in hushed tone.

“What? I’m only caressing…” Eunji refused to stop, she’s enjoying it a bit too much.

“You have an article to edit,” Minhyuk caught her hand and put it on her lap, “I’m not a dog, so stop caressing.” he chuckled and stood up, and without asking for permission, he messed her hair, then ran away.

“YAH, KANG MINHYUK! I’VE JUST DONE CREAMBATHING MY HAIR!”

-

From: Chief Editor Yoon (10.00 PM)

I sent you the rough script of Stupid Cupid via email. 415 pages, uncovered, a week deadline. Good luck.

Eunji frowned. This was so unfair. Just because she was a bit senior than the other editors and she always nailed the deadlines – even for the thick novels – then her chief editor thought she would be okay with it?

Just when she was about to reply her chief’s message, her front door was knocked. Furrowing her eyebrows, she went closer and checked her peephole. And then she was smiling, because it was Minhyuk stood outside.

“Hello, neighbor,” Eunji greeted peacefully at the smiling male. “What?” she asked, eyes looking questioningly.

“Guess who the most amazing guy on earth is,” he smiled cheekily.

Eunji pretended to think, “… Definitely not you,” she answered jokingly.

“Eeeyyy…” he made a face, “Of course it’s me. I’m so amazing until I even can’t help myself to not brag,”

The younger snorted at his lame confidence. “Seriously, what is it?”

The male took something out of his pocket and showed it to her face, “TADAAAAA~~~ These are ‘Red Velvet and Americano’ free coupons,” he said. “I’ll give you these, which means you are able to have free red velvet cakes and Americano for ten times, if only you’re willing to help me.”

Eunji huffed, “… Sorry to be rude, but I have deadlines, Minhyuk. I think I can’t help you.” she was about to close the door when Minhyuk avoided her to, with stepping his foot near the door.

“… Please?” Minhyuk whined, “You’re my last resort… Jieun refused me because she already has a boyfriend. Sora can’t do it because she has to take some classes…”

Eunji thought she was too kindhearted, she opened the door wide and stared at him, “What favor you need me to do?”

“Be my date.”

“Excuse me?”

“I’m attending my best friend’s wedding and I’m one of his best men. And then, he asked me to be hosting his reception…” Eunji waited, “… With my date,”

Now Eunji saw the problem. This man in front of him was absolutely had none to go with. “So you ask me to come with you to his wedding?”

Minhyuk nodded. “Can you?” As if it was not tempting enough, he hurriedly added, “… And there will be many guys, I guarantee you that.” There was a bit gruff tone on his words, but Eunji chose to ignore it. “… Maybe one of them will help you to move on?”

“I don’t care about the guys.” Eunji sounded offended.

“I’m only trying my best?” Minhyuk reasoned.

Eunji pretended to consider, even she already had the answer since he mentioned about the date. Who doesn’t want to go out with Kang Minhyuk? Even it’s just to cover for him, Eunji was not that naïve, going out with Minhyuk might make her look cooler. “… If only you add the coupons to fifteen,”

“Deal.” his answer was too quick, even Eunji curled her brows at that. “Do you have white dress? The best men wear tux and the dates wear white.”

“I’ll check my closet later.” Eunji nodded.

“Thank you, Jung Eunji.” Minhyuk raised his thumbs in relief, “You’re such a life saver. I owe you my life.”

“Good night, Kang Minhyuk,” she waved, “Sleep tight,”

“I’ll try,” he smiled decently.

-

Eunji checked her reflection and grinned happily seeing it. She did her best – thanks to those makeup tutorials on YouTube – she could look flawless. She flattened her white dress and heaved a deep sigh. Minhyuk was already waiting outside and even from the peephole, he already looked great in his tuxedo.

Eunji opened the door and found Minhyuk was curling his brows and a smile curled up. “You look great,” he complimented sincerely and said, “Shall we?”

Eunji followed his big steps, having bit difficulties because she rarely wore heels before, but then Minhyuk helped her and held her hand until they entered the cab that has been waiting for their presence.

“Sorry, I’m not that fancy.” Minhyuk spoke up, filling the silence.

Eunji, who was looking out of the window, turned her head and shook her head lightly. “What are you even talking about?”

“… Well, you’re wearing a dress and you have to ride on cab instead a nice car…” He left his tone hanging.

“Since when do you care about fancy car?” Eunji asked.

Minhyuk chose to keep quiet about it and looked away.

“It’s okay…” Eunji smiled, “You shouldn’t think about fancies, really. Cabs or cars, as long as you’re with me, I’m okay.” She raised her thumb excitedly and then looked back at the tall building and those city lights.

 

Eunji took all her words back about not caring about guys. These men in suits were definitely charming. And she realized that Minhyuk got his guarded up as he tried to be always around her whenever she went. Eunji only shrugged it off, thinking that he did that because today she was supposed to be his date, not window shopping for handsome males that coming for the wedding reception.

But there was someone – a guy with a white tuxedo – that has been around and looking at her since a while ago. Eunji remembered he was coming a bit late, and he was smiling sheepishly before took a seat in the back. Eunji could see he was always all smiley when she and Minhyuk were hosting the reception.

After the hosting done, Minhyuk excused himself to have some chats with the groom and he said Eunji could hang around and taste the foods there. Eunji nodded obediently and walked to one of the food stall – cakes (simply because she could see the color of red velvet cake).

“Pretty female matches the color of red,”

Eunji almost jumped in surprise and she turned around, meeting the male with blonde hair and white tuxedo – the one that has been studying her ever since.

“Hello,” he stuck out his hand and smiled alluringly, “I’m Wooyoung, Jang Wooyoung.”

Eunji grabbed his hand and smiled as well, “Jung Eunji.”

“Jung Eunji,” he repeated, “What a beautiful name… And also, don’t you think it’s fate? Our surname starts with J…”

Eunji wasn’t a schoolgirl anymore and she knew, she damned knew that she shouldn’t giggle like a seventeen years old girl who had her first love come true. But she did. She giggled like that. She couldn’t help it though.

“So you’re dating Minhyuk?” Wooyoung asked questioningly.

“No,” Eunji shook her head, “We’re just friends. He asked me to come because he didn’t want to be lonely,” Eunji responded with a soft smile and cut a piece of red velvet before chewed it.

“Thank goodness, then…” Wooyoung winked, “… It means I can have my chance…”

Eunji almost choked on her cake, and Wooyoung patted her back lovingly. Damn, it’s really been a while since she dated seriously. Why did she act stupidly like this? It was so embarrassing. She looked up and found Wooyoung looked worried, it sent shivers to her spine.

“So,” Wooyoung took out his phone and his lips. Don’t, don’t do that to me, Eunji thought, “Can I have your number?”

“… What for?” Yes, yes, like that. Play hard to get, Jung Eunji. Show her who the badass is.

“… So I can drop you a call and wonder whether you would like to have a decent lunch with me or not…”

If Eunji’s legs were butter, it melted already.

Eunji finally gave in, realized she needed some refreshing for her love life, and he was jumping in joy when he saw Eunji’s phone was beeping. “Thank God, it’s not a fake number!”

“What?” Eunji curled her brows, “Do you think I give you a fake number?”

“… Who knows,” Wooyoung shrugged.

Eunji fell in love already with his charmingly sheepish smile. But when she was about to ask him for more, she felt she was being embraced by someone. She looked up and sighed – Minhyuk was done chatting with the groom.

“Hello, Jang Wooyoung,” Minhyuk said firmly.

“Hello back to you, Kang Minhyuk,” Wooyoung responded in such flat tone.

“If you excuse us,” Minhyuk dragged Eunji away – out of the building and hailed a cab. Eunji rounded her eyes in surprise. They were going home already?

And what frightened Eunji was that Minhyuk being quiet and opted to look out of the window, ignoring her. He didn’t even say a word to her until they reached their apartments.

“Why did you do that?” Minhyuk finally spoke.

“Do what?”

“Flirting.”

“I wasn’t flirting.” Eunji was offended by the way Minhyuk said that.

“You shouldn’t flirt.”

“What? Kang Minhyuk, I told you I didn’t flirt. He came to me. He asked me. I was only getting a cake there…”

“You’re mine tonight.”

“I am what?” Eunji blinked blankly.

“You’re mine. You’re my date. I introduced you to my friends as a date tonight. It meant that you are mine.”

“First of all,” Eunji exhaled indignantly, “I don’t have the memo saying that I am yours. Second of all, I didn’t flirt. Oh God, I even barely knew anyone there. The last of all, why in the hell are you being possessive right now?”

“Because he’s messing around with my thing!”

“Your thing?” Eunji was definitely offended by the way Minhyuk called her. Come on, who wouldn’t be? Eunji balled her fists and glared at him deathly, “… you, Kang Minhyuk. You’re really a jerk.”

And without waiting for him, Eunji went to her apartment and slammed the door close with all her willpower.

-

If there’s something Eunji could regret, maybe meeting Minhyuk would be at the top of the list. Ever since the flirting things, Eunji found herself avoiding the male. And if she accidentally met him somewhere – mostly at the stairs since there’s the only way to get up and get down, Eunji would always pretend to do something – playing with her cell phone, pretending to call someone, or maybe acting as if there’s nobody around. And it really hurt to see Minhyuk was also doing the same, he didn’t even try to apologize.

Eunji thought he really was a jerk.

Eunji got a call from Wooyoung several days after their meeting and asked to meet up for lunch downtown. Seeing there wouldn’t be Minhyuk to disturb, Eunji said yes.

 

Wooyoung was already waiting – he chose a table near the glass window with the view of bright Seoul in the afternoon – when the waiter brought her to him. He looked over and a cheerful smile appeared on his face. He helped her to sit and all Eunji could think damn, he’s good. “I thought you won’t accept my offer,”

“And why is that?” Eunji raised a brow playfully.

“… I don’t know,” he shrugged, “… We don’t know each other very well,” he added, “… And Minhyuk doesn’t really like me. I thought he might tell you stories about me…”

“Stories, what stories?”

Wooyoung shook her head. “It’s nothing, really. We were friends at middle school and I did something awful. He disliked it and decided to break off our friendship.”

“Ahhh,” Eunji nodded, “What is this something awful?”

Wooyoung chuckled, “Can we talk this over lunch?”

Eunji followed suit, chuckling like an idiotic girl, who’s going out with her crush, “Of course, we can. Starving much?” she teased.

“You have no idea…”

The lunch was very much fun, Eunji must admit. She loved the way Wooyoung tried to get to know her with asking light questions. She loved the way how gentle Wooyoung treated her on their first date – he said it by himself, so don’t say that Eunji was the one expected it, okay? – She loved how Wooyoung flattered her, saying that her job would be fun and great and awesome. Eunji loved everything he did because he simply wasn’t Kang Minhyuk alike.

Ugh. Remembering his name brought that bad memory, Eunji rolled her eyes.

“… I wish this is not the first and the last,” Wooyoung said kindly, letting her out of the restaurant first and followed her after. Damn, Eunji was treated like a princess and she couldn’t ask for more.

Eunji merely smiled, “… Are you sure you want to meet me again? I eat a lot, just so you know…”

Wooyoung burst in laughter. His eyes created slits and crinkles near his eyes. Eunji liked to see him laughing for more, “It’s okay, I like girls eating well, it means they appreciate the food.”

“Well, as long as it’s on you,  then it’s okay.” Eunji teased.

“As long as I can see you again, then it’s fine with me.” Wooyoung patted her back and said, “Are you sure you can go home by yourself? I can drive you, if you want me to.”

“Nope,” Eunji shook her head, “I’ll see you soon, Jang Wooyoung.”

“Same here, Jung Eunji,”

And Eunji was the first departed, leaving Wooyoung that still waved her hand until she went in to the bus. Eunji exhaled oxygen as much as she could. Today was amazing. And she bet Minhyuk wouldn’t able to treat anyone like he did.

A realization hit her. “Aish, that jerk. He really likes to come up to my mind. What an .”

 

A date from one led to another. Eunji has never felt like this in a while and she got everything she has never gotten before from Wooyoung. So when Wooyoung asked her to be her boyfriend on their tenth date – they went to a car date, where Wooyoung out of blue asked Eunji to pick out a CD of dashboard, when she opened it, instead she found a red rose and a handmade card which written You’re beautiful and shining like the color of red, yet so soft and heartwarming like velvet. I know this may sounds creepy, but I can’t help myself not to ask you to talk on our first meeting. I also know this may sounds insane, but could you be my  I be your lover?

And Eunji was not in the right mind just like him, so she said yes eagerly. She remembered Wooyoung was pulling her into a happy tight hug and he was giggling happily like a child. How Eunji liked the way he did things, unlike someone.

Eunji shook her head lightly, realizing she was completely comparing between that guy with her new boyfriend. Eunji brushed the thought away by hugging Wooyoung even tighter.

This has got to be stop, Eunji decided.

-

When Eunji met him again was when Eunji braced herself to buy a cup of hot coffee since her chief editor needed the script to be done the day after tomorrow. Minhyuk was definitely didn’t see this coming because he had his eyes widened when he saw her came approaching him.

“Hello,” Eunji greeted flatly.

Minhyuk let out a thin smile, “Your order, please,” even his tone was colder than ice.

“A cup of Americano, please.”

Eunji was expecting he would ask whether she wanted a piece of red velvet cake or not as always, but he didn’t even bother to ask. He only said the price of the coffee and turned around to make her Americano. Eunji’s heart clenched. This was hurting, maybe this was what Minhyuk felt when she was all pretending.

“Here you go,” Minhyuk smiled and then he met her eyes, Eunji had this little expectation, where maybe just maybe, he would ask about her condition after their fight. But no, Minhyuk instead saying, “Step aside, please,” calmly and if Eunji was careful to see, he was smiling at his next costumer.

Eunji felt the Americano was bitterer than it supposed to be.

-

Eunji was troubled, very much troubled, because she found herself comparing and comparing nonstop. Everything that Wooyoung did, she would unconsciously compare it with Minhyuk did. Maybe because she knew Minhyuk better than Wooyoung, so she kept comparing. Maybe because she was new in this relationship, so she kept comparing. But honestly, she didn’t know. Knowing that she needed to get help, she went to meet her chief editor, Yoon Bomi.

“… You did what?” Her chief editor jerked her head up to meet walking back and forth Eunji.

Despite the fact that Yoon Bomi was her boss, her chief editor was also another person on earth that followed her love journey – she knew about all the failings, the tears, and the stupid ritual Minhyuk did whenever she had breakups.

“I know, I know, I know…” Eunji nibbled her lower lip.

“Seriously, Eunji, there’s no one in this world would like to be compared,” Bomi crossed her arms and sat up comfortably on her hundred dollars couch. “And now you’re saying you’re comparing your boyfriend with a jerk who called you his thing?”

Eunji sounded really devastated. “What should I do, boss? This has to stop, I can’t do this every time I go out with my boyfriend,”

Bomi shook her head lightly and huffed, “… You know what? I think you really are inexperienced about dating, even if you said you dated more than dozens guys out there…”

“Excuse me—”

“— don’t you see? That jerk in your head is the one you think all along…” Bomi tried to help her.

“… Yeah, I think about him most of time…” Eunji rubbed her temple, “So what if I think about him most of time? It’s not like I like…” Eunji didn’t need to continue her sentence, because the gummy smile Bomi gave to her explained everything. “No way,” Eunji exclaimed.

“Way way,” Bomi nodded, then she frowned looking at Eunji who stilled at her spot. “What, you’re not going to him and confess?”

“… What about my boyfriend?”

“Break it off nicely. I think this is going to be your first chance to break up with a guy,” Eunji found her tone was teasing, but somehow she got the point. Bomi cracked into a wider smile seeing her editor bolted out of her room. “That’s my girl…”

 

Eunji rushed all the way to Wooyoung, after texted him something urgent and she needed to talk about it soon. After getting an okay, she tried to get there as soon as she could, expecting that he would be there.

And there Wooyoung was, he was already sat near the glass window – it’s becoming a habit, Eunji thought – and he smiled thinly seeing Eunji was coming his way. Eunji felt the tense circumstance around when she sat in front of him.

“I feel like this conversation is not going to be nice as it used to,” Wooyoung murmured lowly.

“… I know,” Eunji looked down and played with her fingers.

“Did he man up, finally?”

Eunji looked up and found Wooyoung looked at her questioningly, “What are you talking about?”

“So he didn’t,” Wooyoung smirked, “… Minhyuk is so going to kill me after this, but who cares. I like playing around with that poor kid,” He took a sip of his coffee and continued, “Just so you know, Minhyuk is not asked to be hosting at our friend’s wedding, it was him asking to be. And he also wasn’t asked to bring a date, because it was supposed to be me and him hosting,” Wooyoung’s eyes were full with mischief, “… But when I know he ditched me for you, I know something is going on. Minhyuk never bring someone around his friends if he’s not being serious. You’re the first, so I know…”

Eunji widened her eyes in surprise.

“… And that’s why he went ballistic when I talked to you. He was afraid that I might tell you about the truth. But well, that time I wasn’t lying when I said I like you and wanted you to be my girlfriend…”

Eunji smiled sheepishly. “I’m sorry,”

“No, it’s okay, really. It stings a bit, but that’s fine. I bet this heart will be healed anytime soon.” He clapped his hands excitedly out of sudden, much to Eunji’s surprise and continued, “So… Breaking up, are we?”

Eunji looked at Wooyoung, and she really had no idea how to ease the pain that his eyes were showing off to him right now. All she could comeback with was, “… I really am sorry,”

-

Minhyuk checked his wrist watch for the nth time, before exhaling gruffly. He has been worn out but it still didn’t help him to forget. He knew it was wrong to say something like that to her, and seeing the female was definitely ignoring him, Minhyuk knew he has lost a chance to be with her.

He heard the door dinged open, without looking up – he was busy writing on some paper, he silently said, “It’s closing time,”

 But the shadow didn’t bother to leave, because Minhyuk sensed they stayed still on their spot. Huffing indignantly, Minhyuk looked up and said in rude tone, “I said it’s—” Minhyuk had no chance to continue because they smiled at him.

It was Jung Eunji, reaching out her hand, showing him his handmade coupons.

“I’d like a cup of Americano and red velvet cake, please…”

Minhyuk blinked confusedly, “What are you doing here?” It was all he could say. Eunji was stood there, silent, and Minhyuk went mad. He wasn’t dreaming, was he? It’s real, right? Minhyuk went to her side and he was looking rather confused.

“I’m sorry for everything,” Eunji said, “I’m sorry for being all mad at you, I’m sorry for pretending you don’t exist in my life for these days, I’m really sorry because I—”

Minhyuk pulled her into a tight hug and Eunji let out a tiny whimper, “I’m sorry for what I said to you that day, I’m sorry for hurting you, I’m sorry for calling you my thing… You’re not a thing, you’re something, you’re something that I love the most and … I can’t think straight for these past days with not seeing you… And then you’re dating Wooyoung… I think I… I think I’m going to die anytime soon…”

Eunji looked up to him and Minhyuk thought he was having such a sweet dream, and when the female tiptoed to kiss his lips – just pressing, Minhyuk couldn’t be more ecstatic.  “Is this real or am I dreaming?” His question got her giggling.

“This is real… I’m really here…” Eunji smiled at him, “… I’m really sorry—”

“It’s okay,” Minhyuk smiled. “Because I got you here, it’s okay… But wait, does this mean you broke up with Wooyoung?”

Eunji blushed rapidly into shades of scarlet, “I can’t stop comparing you with him in everything he does…”

“So it means you like me?”

“… I do,”

“More than you like red velvet and Americano?”

“Don’t push your luck…” Minhyuk frowned and again Eunji embraced him into a hug, “… Just kidding, of course I like you more… I can survive a day without them, but I can’t do that with you,” Eunji wiggled her brows, “Is that enough to please you, mister Kang?”

“Very,” Minhyuk nodded. “So can I kiss you?”

Eunji nodded excitedly, “… Please do.”

Eunji swore she could hear Minhyuk muttered a soft, “I love you” on her lips before kissed her chastely – and his bright smile and everything he did, made Eunji realized that she wouldn’t compare him with anyone else. She found everything inside him, and she was more than happy.

-

In the end, Jung Eunji only needed to look around her a bit better.

 


 

 

Author's Note:

April 3rd 2015.

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY, bluesjuice! I'm wishing you all the best in life! <3<3<3

 

Anyway, happy reading!