The Little Mermaid [Prologue] (HaeSica)

Fairy Tale Storybook Collection

The Little Mermaid
[Prologue]


"Princess!"

I flicked my tail, rolling over on my bed.

"Princess! Wake up!"

The voice kept on getting louder, as I pulled my head under the pillow. I groaned, covering my ears.

"Princess Sooyeon! Wake! Up!"

My pillow was ripped out of my hands as the sunlight shined through the water. I grabbed my blanket and threw that over my head, but only to find that it was ripped off in the next second. I shivered "A couple of more minutes please," I moaned, rolling around in my shell bed. My tail twitched once more before settling down again.

"Princess! Today is your eldest sister's birthday. Do you not want to see her off before she leaves to see the human world?" my lady-in-waiting said.

I opened my eyes in a flashed and quickly got up. "Right! Today Soomin's fifteenth birthday!" I pushed myself off my bed and swam towards door.

"Princ-"

"I'll be right back, Eunmi!" I rushed out the door, making turns here and there. I was trying to reach the main gates as fast as I could, so that I wouldn't be able miss Soomin before she took off for the day. The maids greeted me as I passed them. After giving them a quick hello, I disappeared again. Soon I reached the gates to see my father and sisters gathering around Soomin. They were all laughing amongst one another. My eldest sister, Soomin, she looked beautiful today. The decorative crown made out of shells and her typical tote bag was with her. Did she plan on hunting for some more sea shells later? I silently laughed to myself when I realized that Soomin was all grown up. I was barely thirteen, still hitting the edge of mermaid growth. Compared to her and me, she was intelligent, kind, just like all my sisters. I was just child, still learning to grow.

"Father!" I yelled, waving my arm around. "Sisters!" My family turned to look at me with smiles. I was nearly out of breathe when I reached them. "Happy birthday, Sister Soomin," I said, reaching to give her a hug.

Sister Soomin smiled, returning my embrace. "Thank you, Sooyeon."

"Now remember, Soomin," my father repeating whatever he said to her, Her attention completely back on him as we released our embrace. "Stay out of sight and please do be careful. It can be a dangerous world out there."

My sister nodded, "Of course, Father. And to return in time for the celebration." She paused giving each one of us a smile. "I'll be back soon." Then she swam off.

*****

I flicked my tail, playing around with some clown fishes in our reef garden. A few hours had passed since Soomin had left. I've often read stories about the upper world, but I didn't know if it was true or not. Once a mermaid turns to the age of eighteen, she is permitted to see the upper world. A little clown fish poked my cheek breaking my train of thought. "Oh, sorry," I said, rubbing it's chin with my finger. It was then I heard the sound of horns. Soomin has returned! I smiled, jumping off the rock and quickly swam to the gates. I was the first one there to see Soomin swimming back with a smile on her face.

"How was it?" I asked, when she was only a few feet away from me.

Soomin replied, "Wonderful! It was something I've never seen before. There were these big shells that carried the humans inside, that was being pulled by some animal. And the pretty flowers, they are so much brighter than they are compared to the sea floors. And the feeling of the sun was so wonderful. It felt so warm that I laid on a rock, just bathing in the warmth."

Soon I heard the chatter of my sisters coming to welcome our eldest sister back home. My father nowhere in sight, thus meaning he was busy with his duties. It was typical since he would be at the celebration party. As our sisters approached us, Soomin nudged my arm. I looked at her as she handed me an item. It was round, gold, and very pretty. "It was something I found while staying around the shores," she said, "A little something since I thought you didn't want to wait a few more years till your eighteenth birthday."

I reached out, taking the item from her. Holding it up to the light, I could see an impression. My fingers ran over the engravings. I looked back at my smiling sister and embraced her. "Oh, thank you!" I said, "It's beautiful! I'll treasure it forever."