First Snow

The Winter Break (Up)

A/N - Confession: I wrote this after all those Kyungsoo dating rumors. There, I said it. Hahaha. 

*****

There was a full moon tonight, and at half past midnight, with all the lights turned off in the apartment, there was only the moonlight seeping through the windows to guide her in the darkness. She opens the door to their room quietly and tiptoes out into the living room, where she finds Kyungsoo sleeping on the couch, his pale face bathed in moonlight, the constellation of beauty marks along his neck and down his chest a stark contrast to his skin.

He was stupid enough to leave the windows in the living room open. A near-winter breeze wafts through the room and she shivers where she stands, despite the comforter wrapped around her.

She had seen on the news that the first snow of the season would fall tonight, and she would never admit to it, but she worried for him, sleeping on the couch with just a thin blanket, and with all the windows open.

The sudden howl and strong gust of wind startle her from her thoughts. She walks slowly toward the couch and unwraps the comforter around her to place it over his sleeping form. She doesn't intend to, but she ends up watching him sleep, long eyelashes over his cheeks,  heart-shaped lips slightly open. The truth is, besides being worried for him, she misses him. Terribly. She really shouldn't, though - after all the confusion, ambiguity, and unanswered questions, the last thing she should feel is to miss him. But at half past midnight, when there's no one else to convince that she's okay by putting on a brave face and a strong front, it's hard to deny the simple truth she's been trying to supress all along.

With a sigh, she stands up and starts to head back to the bedroom - their bedroom, the one that's been feeling much colder than usual lately, and she's sure it's not just because of the season - until she feels cold fingers around her wrist.

"Thank you," he says softly, voice a sleepy grumble.

"D-don't worry about it," she tells hims awkwardly, realizing she's been caught.

"It's still really cold though," he tells her, and she could hear him rustling under the blankets, trying to get warm and comfortable.

"I can close the windows. You shouldn't have left them open, you know." She tries to walk away from the couch but his hold on her wrist gets stronger, keeping her in place.

"Nevermind the windows," he says with a slight note of impatience. "Can you just...stay with me?"

She sighs and closes her eyes in exhaustion. A part of her is happy he asked, but the other part wishes he hadn't. In any case, she just feels tired. Tired from a long day, from a sleepless night, but mostly, from this long, incredibly drawn out fight.

"Please?" He asks even more softly, in a way that's so unsure and so sad it chips away at her resolve. And it might've been the full moon, the cold, or the exhaustion - while she tells herself that no good decision ever comes after midnight, she lies down beside him on the couch as he makes room for her, covering them both in the comforter she brought from their bedroom, his warm arms wrapped around her waist, his warm lips resting on the crook of her neck. They don't say anything else until they fall asleep, the first snow of winter falling lightly outside their window.