final

See You Now

SEE YOU NOW

 

He woke up with a start.

No, not from a nightmare. He rarely gets a nightmare. It was partially from the sun light, coming through his bedroom’s window, hitting his face, almost making him blind in the eye when he opened them abruptly.

It was also partially because he couldn’t feel any presence of a certain someone who was supposed to be sleeping next to him. He patted the space next to him. It was cold.

He hadn’t come home. Yet.

As always.

-----

Jongin looked up from his money counting, calculating his income for the night, then splitting it into 7—the number of everyone who works in his bar, including himself—and it was to be distributed by the end of the week.

He glanced at the clock on his office’s wall. 6.27 am. He’d been counting for an hour and a half already, and Kyungsoo must be getting ready for work right now. If he hurried, he could still catch Kyungsoo and maybe talked to him for a little bit before he went to work. He hadn’t had a proper conversation with his boyfriend since, he didn’t even remember, 6, 7 months ago? It’d been so long ago. Too long.

 Since Kyungsoo was promoted as a personal assistant, he’d been really busy. He departed to work earlier than his boss, get off work later than his boss. He even worked on weekends since his boss also worked on weekends.

Jongin wasn’t this busy before either. But since he renovated his old bar into a bigger and newer one, he got more customers and he just simply got busier. He didn’t like having too much employees. No, thank you, 7 was enough. There were only five people working after the bar got renewed—including him. But it got too overwhelming for them, so Jongin had to hire more people. Thank God his bestfriend Wonshik was looking for a job just a day after the other made Jongin hire some people, and he brought along his friend Jaehwan so Jongin didn’t have to go too far to do the hiring.

And this promotion and renewal had cost both Jongin and Kyungsoo some quality time for each other. They grew apart and barely even get a glimpse of each other eventhough they lived in the same place. Kyungsoo worked in the morning through late at night, while Jongin worked throughout the night and would only close his bar when the sun rises. It was frustrating.

Jongin snapped out of his reverie and glanced once more to the clock on his wall. 6.37 am. Kyungsoo must have gone to work by now.

Well, since he wouldn’t meet his boyfriend today, he’d better hurried with his counting and went  home to get some sleep. It’d been a really busy night.

And he felt so tired all of a sudden.

-----

The moment his boss dismissed him from his boss’ office, after being told to get ready for a corporate party that night, Kyungsoo immediately bolted out of his work bulding and screamed for a taxi. Startled and staring people be damned. He was pissed. Well, half pissed and half agitated. Why couldn’t his boss tell him about the party yesterday, or earlier this morning so that he could get ready? His apartement was 30 minute away from his work and Seoul Palace—the hotel the party was held at—was 45 minute away from his place. The party was to be started at 7 pm and it was already 5.40 pm. What the hell was that guy thinking?!

“Could you please hurry? I really need to be ready at Seoul Palace before 7 and I’m going to lose my job if I’m late!!” Kyungsoo asking and panicking at the same time while his eyes were busy glancing between the taxi’s speedometer and the clock on the taxi’s dashboard. He wouldn’t even have enough time to change, let alone shower. Maybe a little bit of cologne would help. And he could just change his smelly shirt with a new one and grab a bow tie or something. His jacket suit was decent enough to be worn at a company party like this.

Yeah, that would be enough.

He glanced once again at the dashboard clock. 6 pm. Jongin usually went to his bar at 6 pm. Or so he said some time ago.

“A’ight, kid, we’re here.”

The grumpy voice of the taxi driver snapped him out of space, and he clambered out of the taxi after shout-asking the driver to wait for him for a moment and promising to pay him more.

He sped off to the apartment entrance, not even sparing a glance to the doorman. He got into the first elevator he saw, and his heart splitted into two.

One part wishing to not be late to the party.

The other part wishing to be able to catch his boyfriend before he went to work. For just one second, he wanted to see his boyfriend. God knows he missed his man so much.

-----

Jongin had just finished putting away his dirty dishes he used to eat his early dinner. The reheated lasagna made by his very own boyfriend was really astonishing. He thought he died when he took the first bite and woke up in a lasagna heaven where Kyungsoo is the Lasagna God.

It was that good.

And, now, Jongin just missed his Kyungsoo more because of the thought.

He looked down to his watch. 6 pm. He should get to the bar right now. He had intended to go to work earlier today to help for preparation, but Chanyeol told him to “just come later, hell, don’t even show up, your presence is not even needed. We can handle it with just the six of us. It’s freaking Wednesday, there won’t be that many customers.”

That guy. Chanyeol had been trying to make Jongin took a day or two off so that he could have some quality time with Kyungsoo—all of Jongin’s employees knew about this problem—but Jongin had only shook his head no. His employees had shook their heads in disbelief. Whatever. Jongin was still going to be at the bar tonight, though. Not even for one bit caring whatever Chanyeol had told him.

He grabbed his jacket from the couch and half-sprinting to the front door. He was just finished putting on his black Converse when the front was suddenly opened.

And the next thing he knew, he was looking into Kyungsoo’s panicked and hopeful eyes.

-----

What is Jongin doing still here? Shouldn’t he be at the bar?

Kyungsoo’s mind was filled with questions, but the words that came out of his mouth was an awkward greeting instead.

“Jongin, hi.” Kyungsoo greeted, a little breathless.

Jongin could only gape at the sight of his boyfriend in front of him. What is Kyungsoo doing here? Shouldn’t he be at work at this time of the day?

“Kyungsoo. Wha—uh... What are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be at work?” Jongin stood up from his chrouched position and step away to give some room to Kyungsoo.

And Kyungsoo shook his head, trying to come to his senses, stutterring an answer.

“Oh. Oh yeah. Uh... My boss asked me to accompany him to a corporate party at 7 at Seoul Palace Hotel, but he kinda only gave me the information, like, 30 minutes ago, and I wasn’t exactly prepared for a party so I have to go change right now. Yeah. Why aren’t you at the bar yet?”

“I... was going to when you burst open the door.”

Cue awkward silence. Jongin and Kyungsoo stood there in the front door. Neither really absorbed what Kyungsoo said and just looked at each other, not believing that they finally were able to see each other.

But then Kyungsoo seemed to have snapped out of his reverie and started to panic.

“Oh my God! The party! Jongin—the—oh my God!! I have to get ready!” Kyungsoo rushed into their apartment—his shoes were still on, by the way—momentarily ignoring Jongin and went into a panic mode.

And while Kyungsoo was rushing to change, Jongin only stood there at the apartment’s entrance, contemplating whether to help Kyungsoo. A moment later, when he was about to take off his Converse and just went ahead and give a hand to Kyungsoo, the man was done changing himself. He didn’t change his jacket suit, only his dirty white shirt which he had changed with a clean one and his hands were busy fixing the bow tie on his neck, slightly trembling.

Jongin immediately came to the rescue and grabbed both of Kyungsoo’s hands in his, trying to calm his boyfriend.

“Calm down, ‘Soo.”

Jongin looked at Kyungsoo in his eyes, silently calming him like he used to do long time ago when Kyungsoo was feeling jittery because of exams. Kyungsoo realized what Jongin was trying to do, and tried to calm himself down.

Kyungsoo also realized what was going to come next in this Jongin’s Calming Method; therefore he bended his head a little so that Jongin could plant a little kiss on his forehead.

When he felt those lips on his forehead, all his worries seemed to be washed away from his head. Shoulders slanted, Kyungsoo exhaled a relieved sigh.

He missed this. God damn it, he missed this so much.

Kyungsoo looked up at Jongin, a genuine smile on his face.

“Thank you so much, Jongin.”

An equally genuine smile was on Jongin’s face too. “You’re welcome, Kyungsoo. Now, let me fix your tie. Then, I’m going to accompany you down to—You got a taxi, right?” Kyungsoo nodded. “Alright. I’m going to accompany you down to your taxi, and I want you to calm down, okay?”

“Okay.”

Jongin then started to fix Kyungsoo’s tie. His able fingers were fixing it, but he kept his eyes on Kyungsoo’s, occasionally glancing down to the tie as to not messing it instead.

When Jongin was finished with the tie, he gave a little peck on Kyungsoo’s cheek, making the latter giggled.

“Alright, let’s go.”

Jongin grabbed Kyungsoo’s hand in his, hurriedly walked to the elevator, almost forgetting to locked their apartment. Once they were in the apartment, they stood side by side, hands still clasped together, and stole glances at each other every once in a while.

Then, all of a sudden, all these feelings came rushing to Jongin. All these memories were all coming to him. Memories of them when they were really close, so close to the point when there was Jongin, there was also Kyungsoo with him. Memories of staying up late in the couch doing nothing but cuddling and talking about nothing and everything. Memories of sipping on cheap wines on the balcony and talking about their problems, their insecurities, their future.

Memories of before. Before they both got so busy with their own works they almost forgot about each other.

 The grip he got on Kyungsoo’s hand tighten, and it caught Kyungsoo’s attention because he was looking up at Jongin, eyes searching, curious. But what Kyungsoo saw on Jongin was a smile. It looked almost guilty and really sorry.

And that answered Kyungsoo’s curiousity. He looked back to front, and smiled back a reassuring smile. And judging by the way Jongin tightened his grip on his hand even more, he knew that they would be okay. At least, for now.

The elevator dinged, indicating that they had arrived at the ground floor of their apartment building. They rushed out of the elevetor, half-running out of the building towards the taxi Kyungsoo had asked to wait for him.

Jongin opened the back door for Kyungsoo and let the man in. Jongin didn’t immediately close the door, but sticking his head inside instead. And it confused Kyungsoo.

“Wh-wha-what are you—“

“I just need to do one more thing.”

And the next thing Kyungsoo knew was a pair of plush and slightly chapped lips planting a sweet chaste kiss on his lips. Kyungsoo’s eyes grew wide in surprise but closed them almost immediately, overwhelmed by the feeling of Jongin kissing him, eventhough it was just a short one.

“Give me a call whenever you need me to come get you, okay?” Jongin said. Kyungsoo only managed to nod when Jongin kissed him again, just a peck this time.

“I love you, Kyungsoo.”

“I love you, too, Jongin.”

“Be careful.”

“I will.”

Jongin closed the door gently, and watched the taxi sped off. He turned around, walking off to his bar just ten minutes away like usual. But unlike usual, he had a smile on his face and a story to tell his employees.

And it was a good story to tell this time.

-----

But a problem ought to occure even in the bestest of stories.

Jongin was wiping on a beer glass, when his phone rang in his pocket. He didn’t realize it rang at first, but when it buzzed, he almost dropped the glass in his hands. He put the glass down on a counter in front of him, asked Jaehwan to handle the rest of the glass and headed to his office at the back of the bar.

He pulled out his phone and frowned when he saw Kyungsoo’s name as the caller.

“Kyungsoo?”

No answer, only soft sobs were heard, and Jongin immediately remember his own promise to Kyungsoo to call him when Kyungsoo needed Jongin to come get him. And Jongin knew something bad happened to Kyungsoo.

Jongin hurriedly grabbed his jacket from his desk and darted out of his office, fighting his way through the throng of poeple in the crowded bar. It was too crowded for a Wednesday night, unlike what Chanyeol had assured him.

“Where are you, Kyungsoo? Are you okay? I’m on my way.” Worries etched heavily in every words he said to Kyungsoo. He was trying to catch Kyungsoo’s answer of his whereabouts when he almost knocked Baekhyun who was carrying a tray full of empty glasses down.

“Whoa—What’s with rush, Boss?”

“Kyungsoo needs me—I gotta go. Can you handle the bar while I’m gone?”

Baekhyun smiled at the mention of Kyungsoo needing Jongin and nodded at the request. “Be careful on your way, Jongin.”

“Thanks, Baek. I’m counting on you!” And he was back to his Kyungsoo. He apologized for missing Kyungsoo’s answer and once again asked for his whereabouts, but only got an angry huff and more sobs as an answer instead.

“You know where I am! Just come get me, Jongin. I need you now, really need you...”

Jongin was out of the bar before Kyungsoo was done talking.

-----

It wasn’t that hard to find Kyungsoo. He was the first thing Jongin saw when he got out of the taxi, the hunched figure slightly at the side of the entrance gate of the Seoul Palace Hotel, occasionally huffing and puffing, clearly holding himself not to burst into tears.

“Kyungsoo!”

Kyungsoo snapped his head towards the voice who called his name, and his tears flowed down freely at the sight of his boyfriend. Jongin promptly gathered Kyungsoo in his arms when he saw the tears in his boyfriend’s face.

“Ssshh... Don’t cry, baby, I’m here. Ssshh.. What’s wrong? Aren’t you supposed to be at the party assisting your boss?”

Kyungsoo sobbed harder at the mention of his boss. Jongin mumbled an apology at that and held him even tighter.

They only stood there hugging each other. Jongin humming some random song and going off tune once in a while which somehow calmed Kyungsoo and made him giggle. Kyungsoo then pulled himself from Jongin, wiping his tears and snot away using his handkerchief he always carried in his pocket—it had his and Jongin’s initial, and he loved it—before looking up to Jongin.

“Can we please go home? I really don’t want to be here right now,” Kyungsoo whispered, but it was loud enough for Jongin to hear.

Jongin brought his hands up, cupping Kyungsoo’s face, searching his face—his eyes—for some answer. He could see slight fear in those dark brown orbs, and he wanted to know what caused the fear, but he didn’t—couldn’t bring himself to ask about it. Not when his man got into a breakdown just a minute ago. They needed to go home first now.

“Alright, whatever you want. We’re going home now. But you still have to tell me what happened. I don’t like seeing you cry like that and I wanna know why,” Kyungsoo nodded obediently. “Let’s get a taxi.”

Jongin put his arm around Kyungsoo’s shoulder protectively and kisses the side of Kyungsoo’s head before leading them to get a taxi on the other side of the road.

 

As soon as they got into their apartment, Jongin put his shoes off first then helped Kyungsoo putting off his, took off his jacket suit and loosened his bow tie. All done gently, then sitting Kyungsoo on the couch while he boiled some water for some tea for the both of them.

“So, tell me what happened, baby,” Jongin asked from the kitchen.

Kyungsoo hesitated for a bit before answering. “My—uh... My—uhm, Jongin?” Jongin turned away from his tea making, stood in the kitchen doorway, his curious gaze meeting Kyungsoo’s expectant look.

“Yeah?”

“I’m going to tell you exactly what happened, but first, I want you to promise me not to get angry. For any reason, do not get angry. Or do anything stupid after. Promise?”

Jongin only stood in the doorway for a moment, then walked over to the Kyungsoo and knelt in front of him.

“I promise, Kyungsoo.” Jongin said, cupping Kyungsoo’s face in his hands and leaning forward to kiss him on his forehead gently. He pulled back a little bit, putting his forehead against Kyungsoo’s, and smiled reassuringly at the other man. “I promise you.”

Kyungsoo smiled back, eyes casted down, feeling shy all of a sudden at the close proximity between him and his boyfriend. Jongin pulled back and moved to sit down next to Kyungsoo, ready to listen to Kyungsoo’s story.

“You know my boss right? CEO Wu Yifan?” Jongin nodded, the tall brooding man wasn’t exactly easy to forget. “He’s actually notorious of being... inappropriate.. towards his PA’s.”

“What do you mean?”

“Do you know the reason he promoted me to be his PA only after 2 years working as a regular employee was because he wanted me, despite knowing that I already have you. He... threatened to fire me if I didn’t do as he told me to. He... forced himself on me at the party, he tried to kiss me and his hand was—was this c-close to.. to.. Oh my God, Jongin, I’m so sorry...”

Kyungsoo started sobbing uncontrollably and Jongin rushed to calm him down, ignoring the bubbling anger he felt when Kyungsoo was telling what had happened. He knew something was wrong when Kyungsoo was suddenly promoted as a personal assistant. He was only a lowly worker, one of hundreds of accountant working at the company.

And Wu Yifan was freaking married, Jongin angrily thought.

But that anger must be suppressed down, for now, as he had promised Kyungsoo.

“It’s okay, Kyungsoo. Don’t be sorry. Just forget what’d he done to you. Sshh... It’s okay, it’s in the past. Just forget it..”

You should forget it too, Kim, his mind telling him.

But God knows he wouldn’t—and couldn’t.

-----

“Let’s just go to sleep, okay, ‘Soo?” Kyungsoo nodded lightly, his sobbing had quieted down for a little bit.

Jongin got up from the couch, lifting Kyungsoo up gently to a standing position, his hold was tight as ever around Kyungsoo. And so was Kyungsoo’s around Jongin. His head was still buried in Jongin’s chest, trying to calm himself down with Jongin’s unique smell—a fresh citrus smell with a sense of calming lavender, his aftershave and something that was entirely Jongin. Kyungsoo’s favorite scent.

The moment they got into their bedroom, Jongin sat Kyungsoo down on the bed and went to search for a fresh pajama in the drawer next to their bed. He found a plain grey t-shirt he always used whenever he was feeling down and a pair of plaid pajama pants—his too.

He walked back to where Kyungsoo was sitting and handed the clothes to him.

“Do you want to shower first or....?”

“I’ll.. uh.. I’m just—I’m going to clean up for a little bit, I think. I’m too tired to shower.”

“Okay. I’m going to turn off the stove since apparently we’re both not in the mood for some tea. Besides I’ve wasted too much gas already and I don’t want us to not be able to cook anything in the morning because we run out of gas for cooking two cups.. of... water. Yeah.” Jongin nodded awkwardly to himself.

They were looking everywhere but each other, an awkward atmosphere thick in the air.

Jongin was the first to break the awkwardness. “Okay, I’ll go right now. You go clean up, ‘Soo.”

“Oh, okay,” Kyungsoo stood up abruptly and started making his way to the toilet to get cleaned up. But before he was too far away, Jongin catched his wrist. Kyungsoo stopped at his track and turned his head around, his eyes questioning.

“I’m glad you’re okay. I’m glad you called me. I’m just... glad.”

Kyungsoo smiled gently at that. “I’m glad I called you, Jongin. Thank you for coming, and sorry for making you leave the bar. Must be pretty crowded today right?”

“Nah, it’s not that crowded tonight. The guys—and girls will be alright on their own anyway.” Jongin released Kyungsoo’s hand and moved to wrapped his arms around the man in front of him, pulling him closer. Kyungsoo also moved his arm around Jongin’s neck, his other arm was still holding the clothes.

They looked at each other for a moment and Jongin decided that he missed Kyungsoo so much—so goddamn much—and he hugged him tight. It was so sudden that Kyungsoo had to drop his clothes to the floor and hugged Jongin back.

Mutters of “I miss you”s was spoken to each other, slightly mumbled because they were both buried too deep in each other’s neck. They pulled away for a little bit and Jongin didn’t waste a single second and leaned forward to capture Kyungsoo’s lips in a long sweet kiss.

“I love you, Kyungsoo.”

“I love you too, Jongin.”

-----

After turning off the stove—and making a cup of tea for Kyungsoo and placing it on the night stand in their bedroom, Jongin went outside in the balcony for a phone call to Chanyeol, to check up on the bar.

It was a pretty quick phone call, though, since Chanyeol kept on trying to hang up on Jongin because he didn’t want to ruin Jongin’s moment with Kyungsoo, knowing that the two hadn’t had a proper time together in such a long time.

“The bar is fine, Jong. Seriously, you don’t have to worry! Just enjoy this rare moment with your boyfriend, me and the guys can handle the bar just fine.” Chanyeol had said. It was then followed by a loud whoop of “Yeah, Jongin”—courtesy of Wonshik and Victoria, a genuine “Don’t worry, Jongin” from Sunyoung and a very unnecessary “Don’t forget to use protection! And lube!” from none other than Baekhyun.

“Just.. don’t ruin the bar too much, alright? And tell Jaehwan to do the counting. He knows the drill.”

“Alright, fine, just go away now so we can get back to work.”

“Okay, I trust you, Chanyeol. Don’t ruin—“

“The bar too much. Got it, Jong. Okay bye.” And Chanyeol had hung up abruptly.

It wasn’t that Jongin didn’t trust Chanyeol or his other employees. It just that he liked doing all things by himself, that was why he bought his own bar two, three years ago because he didn’t like working for someone else.

But maybe this was why he never got any time for Kyungsoo. He got too engrossed by his business he forgot his most loved person at home.

When Jongin realized this, he turned around and was about to run to Kyungsoo, but he stopped in his track because Kyungsoo was standing right there in the balcony doorway, holding two wine glasses and a bottle of Zinfandel. The wine.

“Hi. Thanks for the tea. And I thought maybe we could talk. For a little bit since, you know, we haven’t really able to do this in a long time.” Kyungsoo smiled and offered Jongin a glass. He moved to sit against a wall to Jongin’s left and gestured to Jongin to sit next to him.

Kyungsoo poured some wine for Jongin and some for himself and took a sip before speaking. “What happened to us, Jongin?”

“We both worked too much we forgot each other.” Jongin shrugged and took a sip of his wine.

“You know, I made a plan the moment Yifan told me I’m going to be promoted. I know at that time that I would get busier and I wouldn’t have time for you—for us. I made a plan in which I would visit the bar after I got off work so that we could talk like we always do. But, you know what happened. I barely had any energy left when I went home from work, and I still have to get up early to get ready. I didn’t know that that was what Yifan had planned all along, until tonight at the party.”

“Keeping you at work until late at night was Yifan’s doing?”

Kyungsoo nodded solemnly. “But I really hope you don’t do anything stupid, Jongin, after I told you all this.”

“Like what?”

“I don’t know. Going after him and beat him to death? I still remember what you did to that English major guy after he harassed me. Just don’t do anything stupid.” Kyungsoo said with finality.

“...Fine, I won’t.”

“I’m going to send a resignation letter to Yifan anyway, and I won’t be working for him anymore by tomorrow. I hope.”

“Okay. I won’t do anything stupid.” Jongin finished his wine in one gulp and turned to Kyungsoo and urged him to finish his wine. “C’mon, finish your Zin. I need to do something to... erase your boss’ marks on you. You know what I mean.... right?”

Kyungsoo gaped at Jongin, not believing what he just said.

“...  Are you saying you’re going to... remark me?”

“Reclaiming what’s mine, that’s more likely. C’mon, finish your wine!”

Kyungsoo finished his wine in one gulp and Jongin hurriedly took Kyungsoo’s glass in his hands so he was holding two glasses in one hand and unfinished bottle of cheap Zinfandel in the other. They can always finish it later.

Now, he really needed to reclaim his man. And he kept praying in his head he would still be able to remember exactly how to have fun with Kyungsoo. Clothes off, of course.

-----

“How was the crowd last night, Baek?” Jongin asked Baekhyun without looking at the man and just keep checking on his employees’ works last night. They did a good job, actually. Jaehwan did great on the counting, as always. Wonshik actually managed to check the liquor stock and wrote a really nice report which Jongin was now reading.

Baekhyun turned his attention from his phone to around the pretty spacy bar. “Meh, it was fine. A little too crowded for a Wednesday, but it was nothing we couldn’t handle ourself, really. And how was your night yourself, Jongin? Did anything interesting with your Kyungsoo?”

The way Baekhyun said ‘interesting’ was too suggestive so Jongin opted to ignore and shrug instead.

“It’s not really your business, Baek.”

“Alright. I’ll take it as ‘yes, we did have fun last night with all our clothes off’. I understand.”

Jongin lifted his head and turned to look at his not-really-a-friend-slash-employee. “Just shut up, Byun Baekhyun.”

“Give me a raise then I’ll shut up.” Baekhyun teased. And Jongin chose to ignore the remark and let out an irritated sigh instead. “Oh and Jongin?”

“What?”

“You still going to buy that place next door for the cafe thingy you’re planning to do?”

Jongin hesitated for a little. “I... guess. Kyungsoo had decided to resign from his current job, and besides, he had really wanted to have his own cafe to run. So, I’m buying that place next door for him. It’s a gift, you can call it that.”

“He decided to resign? Why? And wait, gift? What gift?”

“Yes, he decided to resign because of... reasons. It’s personal. And....” Jongin paused, seeming uncertain to answer Baekhyun’s second question.

“And... what? Come on, spill!”

“And... it’s an engagement present? Is there such thing? I don’t know.”

Baekhyun’s eyes got bigger in shock and his mouth wide open, like he couldn’t believe what his employer just said.

“You’re... going to.. propose to him?! Jongin, that’s awesome!! Oh my God, I can’t believe you actually had it in you! Finally!! Wait, you got a ring, right? Don’t tell me you’re proposing with a place for your boy’s cafe but not with a ring,”

Blush spread gloriously on Jongin’s face as he answered. “The cafe is just a gift, Baek. And yes, I got a ring. I got it, like, on our six year anniversary. I was about to ask him on our aniversary dinner when he got the announcement of becoming a personal assistant. The anniversary became a celebratory dinner and with that kind of excitement, I simply forgot I was gonna propose to him.”

“You’re a chicken, Kim Jongin, you know that?” Jongin only nodded. “Now, where’s the ring?”

“In my office. I’m afraid Kyungsoo will find the ring if I keep it at home. There’s not really that many place to safely keep a really important thing, like an engagement ring, for example.”

Baekhyun nodded understandingly. “And when are you going to propose?”

“When I’m done with the paperwork for the cafe. So, it’s going to be, I don’t know, next week?”

Baekhyun nodded again, but this time it was accompanied with a smile. A brotherly smile directed at Jongin. “You’re going to be a really, really great husband, Jongin. Kyungsoo is so lucky to have you.”

“Thanks, Baek. I really appreciate it.”

“You’re welcome, Jongin. Oh, one more thing. Where did you get the money to buy a place for a cafe? You’ve only had this bar for like, 2, 3 years? There’s not really that much money from a small bar business like this,”

“Oh, that. I’ve been saving for six year. The moment Kyungsoo told me he wanted to have his own cafe, that was when I started saving money to buy a place for him.”

Baekhyun went silent.

“Seriously?”

“Mm-hm. I guess I just want to be able to give what he wants with my own capability. He gave me all his heart and time to look after me in the past, and this is how I repay him, by giving what he wants.”

“O..kay you’re being cheesy now. I’m just gonna go back to work. Lots of table to wipe. Bye.”

Jongin gaped at Baekhyun’s change of attitude. He put down the paper he was holding and shouted to Baekhyun’s retreating back. “You’re just jealous, Baek!!”

Jongin almost fell of his chair cackling when he heard Baekhyun’s reply.

“Yes I am jealous!! Why can’t Chanyeol do what you did to Kyungsoo?! I am super jealous! You’re so sweet, Jong, and Chanyeol is just freaking dumb!! And I’ve dated Chanyeol longer than you have Kyungsoo!!”

There was a sound of someone falling coming from the bar’s kitchen. Probably just Chanyeol being surprised at Baekhyun’s very loud and jealousy-filled remark.

-----

Kyungsoo woke up with a start. But when he felt a body holding on his possessively, he immediately calmed himself. It was just Jongin.

.... Wait. Jongin?

He turned to check what time was it.

4.49 am.

What was Jongin doing at this time at home? Wasn’t he supposed to be at the bar still? Doing whatever he always did at the bar at this time of the day?

Kyungsoo shook Jongin’s body lightly, trying to wake Jongin up in a very less irritating way, if that was even possible.

Then Jongin jerked awake at Kyungsoo’s third attempt of shaking the former to wake up.

“Kyungshoo? What iz it baby?”

“What are you doing home? Aren’t you supposed to be at the bar?”

“Closed down a little early. Already told Jaehwan to do the usual counting and actually got Wonshik to do the restocking later at 6. What time is it?”

“4.53.”

“Oh, good. Still got another 4 hours to sleep before the appointment we have to go to.”

“What appointment?”

“Let’s sleep first, ‘Soo.” Jongin said with finality and getting up to take off his jacket, shoes and jeans he didn’t realize he was still wearing. Then he fell back to the bed and pulled Kyungsoo in his arms, but not before kissing Kyungsoo quick and sweetly on his lips, effectively shutting the man up.

Don’t make me spoil my own surprise for you, ‘Soo.

 

“Perfect. Now, I just need Mr. Do’s signature on page 3, 4, 5, and 7, and the place is yours.” This Mr. Jung Jongin introduced to Kyungsoo earlier only nodded generally in their direction when he said ‘yours’, so Kyungsoo wasn’t so sure whose ‘yours’ he was talking about. Kyungsoo’s, Jongin’s or the both of them.

Jongin woke Kyungsoo up at 9.30 this morning and half-dragged him to this place right next to Jongin’s bar. Jongin then introduced him to Mr. Jung who was the soon-to-be former owner of the place they were at. Kyungsoo only realized Jongin was buying the place when they talked about prices and Jongin wrote a check of a quite lot amount of money Kyungsoo didn’t know Jongin had—where did that money come from?

Kyungsoo signed the last page he had to sign then gave back the documents to Mr. Jung without bothering to check what was written on them. He was too curious about the money Jongin used to buy the place more than anything. Where did he get that much money?

“Oh, and one more on this one last document.”

That was when Kyungsoo realized it.

It was his name written on the propietary section, not Jongin’s.

Kyungsoo turned to ask what the hell was going on but quickly clamped his mouth shut when he saw the look on Jongin’s face. His eyes silently begging him to ask questions later when they got some alone time after Mr. Jung left.

Kyungsoo turned back to the document in front of him and quickly signed it. He was half furious and half curious of why Jongin bought the place but put his name as the owner.

“Congratulations. The place is yours now.”

“Thank you, Mr. Jung. It’s really nice to have business with you.”

“Same goes to you, Mr. Kim. I’ll be seeing myself out now. Good luck, and have a nice day.”

“Have a nice day to you too, Mr. Jung.”

The moment Mr. Jung was out of sight, Kyungsoo immediately confronted Jongin.

“What the hell was that Jongin?!”

“I bought a place for you.” Jongin answered calmly, but Kyungsoo was having none of that.

“And why would you do that exactly?!”

“It’s  a gift, okay?”

“A gift?! What do you mean by that?! And where did you get the money?”

“I’ve been saving for 6 years.”

Kyungsoo was speechless. 6 years?? “...What?”

“Yeah, uhh... How am I supposed to explain this? You remember back then—6 or 7 years ago when you said you wanted to have your own cafe someday simply because you loved going to that cafe at the corner near our university? I made a promises to myself that day to give you exactly that. Your own cafe. So, I started saving some money and... this is it—“ Jongin gestured to the whole room, “—your own cafe.”

“...Why?”

“Why.. what? Why I bothered going out of my way to save money to buy his loved one his own cafe?” Kyungsoo nodded hesitantly. “Well, isn’t ‘I love you so much I could die seeing you couldn’t get what you want the most’ an enough reason?”

Kyungsoo chuckled. Jongin’s cheesiness was always amusing to hear, but it was always able to bring pink to Kyungsoo’s cheeks because it actually sounded so sweet.

“Well, yeah, but—“

“No buts, ‘Soo. Besides, you’re jobless now so you better take this gift of mine and start your business already! I’m dying to taste all drinks and food in your menu. And you better put chicken lasagna in your menu. That thing is to die for! It’s so tast—“

Kyungsoo kissed Jongin almost immediately it cut Jongin’s rambling half-way. He wasn’t done talking about Kyungsoo’s awesome chicken lasagna.

Kyungsoo pulled back a little bit after a little while, mumbling ‘thank you’ against Jongin’s lips, before planting his lips back to Jongin’s, this time a little passionately. He circled his arms around Jongin’s neck, pulling a little bit at Jongin’s hair which was responded by Jongin circling his arms around Kyungsoo’s middle, his hands rubbing slightly on Kyungsoo’s sides.

But even the slightly hottest moment had to be disturbed.

“Oh, I have one more thing to do.” Jongin pulled back suddenly, like he just reminded of something he should’ve done some times ago. So, he pulled away from Kyungsoo—said man only looked at Jongin confused—and got down on one knee.

Kyungsoo freezed, knowing what was happening.

“Do Kyungsoo, you do know we’ve been dating each other for 6 years, and it’s the best 6 years I’ve ever had in my life because I spent it with you. God, I’m really bad at this, it’s so cheesy...” Kyungsoo chuckled lightly. A single tear streamed down his face but he was quick to wipe before it triggered even more to come.

“I’m really sorry I haven’t been able to be a good boyfriend these past 6 months. I was too busy with my job I forgot about you. I want you to know you always have my undivided attention eventhough we couldn’t see each other properly. I won’t guarantee that we will see each other more after you start your own business, but what I’m sure of is that I see you now, and I want to keep seeing you for the rest of my life.”

Jongin reached into his jacket, pulling out that little velvet box from the inside pocket and opening it ever so slowly once it was out. Kyungsoo gasped at the sight of the ring. Two tone titanium with four little diamonds lined diagonally, and he swore it was really beautiful.

“Honestly, I was going to propose to you 6 months ago, on our 6 year anniversary, but then you got that call from your ex-CEO and you got really excited about the news, I got really excited because you got excited and I kind of forgot to do it after that. Because of, you know, we kind of drifted apart when we got too busy with each other’s jobs. I’ve been repolishing this ring over and over again so that it’ll still look as good as the first time I bought it.”

Kyungsoo could barely handle the tears streaming freely down his face now and noticing this, Jongin got flustered and decided to just get it over with.

“So, Do Kyungsoo, marry me?”

Kyungsoo nodded vigorously, having lost his mind since Jongin first opened his mouth to propose to him. “Yes, yes, Jongin!”

Jongin got up from his kneeling position and almost lost his footing when Kyungsoo suddenly jumped on him and hugged him as tight as his small figure might. With Kyungsoo crying—because, finally! Jongin had finally asked Kyungsoo to marry him—and Jongin laughing—because, finally, he had done it. He had finally done it and he had not felt regret even once. Why would he?

They break away for a little bit so Jongin could slip the ring on Kyungsoo’s finger. They both stared at the band now in Kyungsoo’s finger for a little while. It felt like a dream for the both of them to get to this place, proposing to the other, looking back to these past six months where they barely got a glimpse of each other in the apartment they lived in. Phone calls gradually forgotten, so were text messages. They always prefer seeing each other in person, so it was so hard for them to not see each other in 6 months.

They knew it’d been hard for the both of them. Taking a look at each other’s eyes, and they understood everything.

Kyungsoo slowly leaned up, and Jongin down, so Kyungsoo wouldn’t have to tip toe too high to reach his lips.

They exchanged a deep, sweet kiss, but not before exchanging whisper of their love for each other.

“I love you, ‘Soo.”

“I love you too, Jongin.”

-----

Epilogue

9 months later

 

“Hey there, husband.”

“Hello to you too, husband.”

“Ew, could you two not. I had a math quiz earlier and I still feel a little queasy so you might want to control your cheesiness before I puke all over your favorite jacket, Jongin.”

“You’re just jealous, Sehun.”

“Ew, what, me? Jealous? Of you two? Ew, but no, thank you.”

“Jongin, stop teasing the kid. And Sehun, can you please go back to work? I’ll really appreciate that,”

“Only because you asked so nicely, Kyungsoo. Oh, but for your information, I’m not a kid. I’m seventeen.”

“Exactly. Seventeen. You’re still a kid, Sehun.”

“And you’re like, old, Mr. Kim Jongin.” Sehun ran away to wipe more tables before Jongin could get him and possibly castrate him in public. God, he still loved his precious junior.

“So, how’s the bar Jongin?” Kyungsoo asked, breaking Jongin’s imagination of castrating Sehun in any way possible.

“It’s fine. I got a little more crowd, thanks to you and your employees.” Jongin answered nonchalantly.

Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow, his eyes slightly teasing Jongin. “Yeah? How so?”

“I don’t know where you got your employees, but they’re always the reason why a swarm of girls suddenly come to my bar every Saturday night. I know your employees always hang out in my bar every Saturday night. Altogether. Even Sehun.”

Kyungsoo giggled, amused by the annoyance clear in his complaint. “Sehun, huh? You don’t serve him any alcoholic drinks every time he comes, right?”

“Why would I do that? That kid is only seventeen, he’s still a kid. I usually give him iced lemonade and he’ll go around hitting on girls, pretending to be 24 and boasting his drinking skill by doing bottoms up with his lemonade.”

“And none of the girls believe it, I bet?”

“Of course! They think Sehun is amusing, that’s all. He’s a kid, alright, but he’s also an idiot.”

Next thing Jongin knew, he was hit using a tray by none other than Sehun after having said that. Kyungsoo could barely hold his laughter. Those two are always fighting whenever they could. Truthfully, Jongin just cared about Sehun and Sehun really respected the older guy. He said he wanted to have his own bar just like Jongin’s someday. Sadly, though, they were both too stubborn to admit that. They’d rather showing their true feelings towards each other through snarky banter like this.

“Seriously, babe, you’re going to let you employee hit your husband like this?”

“Then stop calling me a kid! And an idiot, too!”

“Alright, fine, I won’t! Happy, kiddo?”

Sehun hit Jongin again.

“Stop hitting me! Kyungsoo, you see that?”

“Yes, Jongin, I see that. Very clearly. Now, don’t you have a bar to tend to?”

“Yes, Jongin, don’t you have a bar to be taken care of?”

“Shut up, Sehun. I’m here to see my husband. Can’t I just do that in peace, without you hitting me or saying ‘ew’ dozens of times near us?”

Sehun turned to Kyungsoo, looking at him pleadingly.

“I’m sorry, Sehun. Husband stuff. Can you restock the coffee in the back with Jongdae, please?”

Sehun huffed, feeling defeated and walked to the back of the cafe, restocking. Again.

“Now, what do you want to see me for?”

“What, I can’t see my husband without any reasons now?”

“Not really, no. But really, you’re not gonna buy anything? Because if you’re not, I would really have to make you sit down and stop bothering the boss.”

“Okay, fine. I want my usual.”

“Very good. One iced chocolate latte coming right up.” Kyungsoo punched in the code for the beverage. “That would be 4500 won.”

 Jongin reaches for his wallet and handed Kyungsoo a 10000 bill. “Keep the change. But seriously, though, ‘Soo, I just want to see you.”

“I can’t keep a change this big, Jongin.”

“Of course you can. Besides I haven’t paid for the latte I had the other day.”

“Okay, whatever you say. You do know you can always see me later, right?” Kyungsoo moved around the counter, making Jongin’s order. When he was done, he put the go-to cup in front of Jongin with a frown on his face, a tired sigh escaped from his lips. Kyungsoo knew what Jongin was going to say.

“But I want to see you now,”

Kyungsoo sighed once more. “Later, Jongin. Okay?” He leaned over the counter and peck Jongin lightly on his lips. That kind of set Jongin’s mood up again, weirdly.

“Okay, I’ll be waiting for you. My office?”

My office. Don’t you want to scared Sehun once in your life?”

Jongin sipped his latte for a little before answering. “Nah, no need. You know, Sehun is like a brother to me,”

“Cute, adorable and hyperactive?”

“Nope. Ugh.. Him? Not in forever. He’s childish, annoying and stupid, kind of.”

“Don’t be so hard on him, Jongin.”

“I won’t, babe, I promise you.” Jongin sipped his latte once more and checked his watch. 4.18. Then, he leaned over the counter and gave his husband a peck. “I gotta go. Call me if you need me, baby.”

“I will, Jong.”

All in all, life is swell.

-----

Or not.

“You know what, babe, looking at you in an apron like that makes me want to take you hard, right then and there, with you only in an apron. I bet you’ll look y. And I’ll pound you over and over again you asked for more, more, more...”

Kyungsoo motioned for someone behind Jongin to come a little closer, and,

“Hit him, Sehun.”

PANG!

“Kyungsoo!!”

“You deserved that one, Jongin.”

“Yes, Jongin, you definitely deserved that one. And I am not stupid!”

Yes. Life is definitely swell.

-----

A/N : I'm really sorry for the grammar mistakes. I don't really have time to proof read. It's like 4 am in my place and i really need to sleep. and to pee too. Also, I don't really mean to make Kris the bad guy here. He just kind of fit with the character.

As always, comment and subscribe! I'll really appreciate it if you guys do it. See ya next time!