Prologue

Letters From The Sky

  They say you tend to look back once you've reached the end. You look bad, relieved to be rid of the bad moments yet wondered if there was a chance to relive the good ones. You tend to look back, thinking whether even the slightest change would make things better. You look back, silently wishing you could go back.

 
  Where there's a will, there's a way. Something he learned from the smaller ones.
 
  The entrance looked dark and dusty, something akin to an old abandoned room. A familiar figure stayed by the entrance, eyes barely glanced at him as he passed by. It was one of the perks of being a wanderer. Inside, the place lit up softly, the wall glowing as if fire was burning from the other side. His eyes were more drawn to the glass chimes above, holding secrets more than one could ever imagined.
 
  His steps were careful, never leaving a sound. His eyes trained up above, searching for his way out. Multiple times he had been in the place, yet only once had he seen it. He prayed that this time would be his second, and maybe his last. His eyes caught sight of red hues amongst the chimes, naturally blending in with the glow of the room.
 
  There it was, just above his head. He took a quick look around, before spreading his grey wings to their fullest. He muttered an enchantment that took years to master. The red hues slipped from the glass holding it and gently fell into his open palm like a drop of water.
  
  For the first time in a long while, he heard something that used to be so familiar. The beating of a heart. The beating of his heart. He could feel it beating in his chest, hear it pounding in his ears. He could feel the warmth spreading through him. He could feel his fingers graze against each other.
 
  He could feel his chest tightened, gasping as he realized the lack of air in the surrounding. He grasp his neck, unable to breathe, wanting to tear away the force choking him. A ripple of pain ran down his spine causing him to scream in agony. A searing pain shot through him, as if he was boiling from the inside. He shut his eyes, waiting for the end, praying for the end.
 
  And just like that, it was over. Oxygen filled his lungs along with the smell of grass. He panted, his heart pounding in his ears. He opened his eyes only to see green everywhere before his vision blurred. He could feel something dangling, to find a chain where gold and red intertwined around his wrist.
 
  The chain that burned warmly before he surrender himself to the darkness.