Meeting new people.

Welcome to Rosemary's

I check my watch for the time. It's worn down and scratched all over. It reads 7:30 on the dot. I look up and see the twinkling sign reading "Rosemary's". The curvy font with the gold letters outlined in black makes it very elegant. I enter through the front doors make out of black oak. I am greeted by Rosemary herself. "Well doll! Don't you look pretty today," she said while kissing my cheek. She never fails to put a smile on my face and I'm glad she is here. Being only in her seventies, she looks 50. You know the old saying,"Black don't crack". She is living proof of that old adage. "Rose I didn't do anything. I just walked out the house like this. And you know I don't wear cosmetics missy," I told her. Again a smile formed on her face. "Just go get ready. Starting at 8 the costumers will start flooding in". I gave her one last smile and jogged my way back into the back room.

 

I set my dress down along with my bag. I turn on the lights and the light blue paint popped out from the darkness. My desk appears across the room when the lights came on. i sit at my desk taking off my hat. Underneath was my hair in twists. Untwirling my hair, curls show their true form. '' Ah. Thats a relief. You my firend, have grown a bunch,'' I compliemnt my hair. Checking the clock on the wall its 8:00. '' Let's see what it looks like out there''. I open my door looking down the hall. I tip-toe to look at the audience. It was packed form front to back. A small finger tapped my shoulder. Turning around, I see Celia, Rosemary's daughter. She's only 15, but she look the same age as me, and I'm 22. '' I can't wait to see you tonight. There are so many people here. We even have special guest!'', she said. Shocked, I asked,''Well, where from?'' ''China! All the way from China!Four Tables filled.'' I look into the audience and see tables filled with all Chinese men. ''Wow. There are four tables full!'', I exclaimed. I never saw how handsom these men were. All I could see were 2 tables. I'll see the rest when I get on stage.

 

''Ladies and Gentlemen. We at Rosemary's are glad that you came out tonight for the dine in theatre. Most of you know our opening act and most of you don't. She is like another daughter to me and is well known around town for her voice and personality. Ladies and Gents please give a warm round of applause to Chante.'' The resturaunt errupted with cheers. I step out into the center stage. My pastel blue dress cascades across the stage accenting my every curve. My hair is huddling around my shoulders and bounces every time I step forward. Looking to the audience I see reconizable faces and fresh new ones. I look at the front row and see the ''special'' guest. Looking one by one I pick out certian features. Almond shaped eyes, smooth skin, and strong face structures. The last man on the right caught my attention. He had a comb over with his curly hair protruding from the bangs. His eyes a hazel brown. round face that suits him perfectly and he had nice arms. Hey, I'm just looking. ''Good evening folk. for those who dont know me my name is Chante Rutherford. I have noticed some new faces in the crowd tonight and to properly start of the night, I want to start off with a classic.'' The piano began playing the ballad and I began to sing the soft ballad. All I could think about was that characture on the far left. He keeps a steady eye on me and I can feel his eyes scanning me up and down. This happened the whole night through. ''This last song is a new one I learned. It might be a little creaky but I'm going to try.'' I walk to the piano and sit on the balck bench. My hands touch the ivory keys and then music started to play. the smooth jazz piece moved throughout the whole audience. ''If you came here with a special someone tonight, grab that person and take then to the dance floor. This is for you lovers out there,'' I say into the mic. All the guest, from young to old got up and danced. Looking up all I see left was the man with the curly combover.


That was the last song I played and I walked off stage to be greeted by thank you's and many more compliments. I walk to the bar and ask Davis for a water. No, I don't drink. It taste awful. As I was sitting there, a shadow appears beside me. ''Water please,'' a deep voice says. Looking carefully to my left, I see the man with the curly combover. ''You did wonderful up there tonight miss. I have never seen anything in my life like that before'', he tells me. Say something you idiot, I told myself. ''Well, thank you. And I wan to thank you for coming out. I never actually seen you around town before,and this is a small town'', I responded. I looke at him again and see a small smile form upon his lips. ''I just moved here two weeks ago. I haven't seen that much of the town besides here and my work place''. Ding. ''How about tomorrow, since it is Saturday, I can show you around town'', I asked. He turned his head in my direction. The smell of his colonge swims past my nose. Cinnamon sugar. ''That would be a great idea.'' He pulls a miniature note pad out of his coat pocket hanging from the other chair. He writes down his number and address and hands it to me. ''I have nothing to do tomorrow anyways, so I would love to do that.'' Grabbing his jacket, he stands up and looks at me with his extended hand. ''I'm Johnathan. But I like Johnny,'' his deep voice bellowed. My hand fits softly in his as I stand. ''You know my name already,'' I spoke. His eyes wandered around the people packed room. ''Would you like to...dance with me?'' I look up to him. He has to be atleast 6'2 compared to my height of 5'8. ''I would love to Johnny''. Gently he pulled me to the middle of the floor. Turning me around, we are face to face. The song is a slow jazz ensemble. We sway to the beat and keep a mellow tempo. ''This might be the best thing that ever happened in town for me,'' he said. My eyes reach up to his. ''Me too''.