It's a long story

Runaways

I was fleeing the most rabid fox I had ever enountered in my 7 years of running away. I broke many branches and probably ruined an entire ecosystem as I dashed to the nearest urban place I could think of. A school. Oh, sorry, my bad, forgot to introduce myself. I'm Chae Sae Ra but I'm known as Olivia, that is, if I ever introduce myself to other people, that's my name. Long story short, I'm an orphan. My parents died when I was 5, I was sent to 6 foster homes until I was 10. The last home, if you can even call it 'home' was an abusive one. 

"CLEAN THE ING TABLE, YOU PIECE OF TRASH! NO WONDER YOUR PARENTS DIED! THEY COULDN'T DEAL WITH A TY CHILD LIKE YOU! YOU MOTHER WAS A ING AND YOUR DAD SLEPT WITH OTHER WOMEN!  YOU CAN GO YOURSELF AND GO DIE LIKE YOUR PARENTS!" Hurls of insults flew at me as I was locked in a barbed cage, , starving and in a urge to let out my bladder. The guy who was supposed to be my 'caring and loving father' turned out to be a e lover. One thing this guy was good at was privacy. He never let me watch them do anything ual as he took it to the bedroom. As they left, I dwelled on my thoughts. On how my parents were doting and how they were gone so suddenly. On how I spent the first year whining, screaming and crying. On how I stopped and told myself that my past does not shape my future because one day, I would get out of this hellhouse and be a wealthy, happy, caring mother. This guy only agreed to adopt me after getting told that he would recieve checks. I was stuck with him for a year until I finally broke out when I was supposed to retrieve the mail. I stole an unused bag, the cleanest sheets I could find, canned food and his entire money stache. I cleaned up as nice as I could, fooling the flight attendants as I booked the next flight to Dallas. After that, my growth spurt came as I used up all the money and started working at the age of 12. I flew out of Dallas and into L.A. At the age of 14, I made the decision to fly to Canada since I heard their libraries would be free. Since I escaped, I had been an avid reader, getting my hands on any books I could. Imagine my surprise when I realized there was a second hand bookstore and I bought all the books I could. I travelled until I landed back in Toronto. And that's when my story starts..

"Aish!" I cursed, stumbling on a few rocks. I was sweating bullets now, I was out of breath as I walked slowly onto the flat rocks in the river. I climbed up the muddy hill until I made it out. I strode to the nearest park and lay my supplies out. I collapsed onto the benches as I reviewed what I had left.

"Baar of soap, toothpaste, toothbrush, sleeping bag, pillow, 3 pairs of pants, 3 pairs of t-shirts, 2 sweaters, 1 jacket, 1 vest, binoculars, canned chicken soup, stomach paste, toilet paper, Blood of the Olympus, diary, pencil, brush, lingerie, 5 pairs of socks, lotion, wad of bills, actual money safebox, flashlight, batteries, waterbottle, compass, thermometer, and boots. Somehow, I managed to cram them into a duffel bag and a smaller Tommy Hilfiger duffel bag. 

"What the hell am I going to do with my life?" I muttered, staring up at the darkened sky. It was almost September and it felt weird, not going to school. Funny thing is, we complain about school but that's where our social life develops and how we have friends. It's the reason why. For an extrovert like me, I was feeling lonely. And sooner or later, the social workers would catch me. I made up my mind as I unpacked my sleeping bag. I was going to head back to Korea, Seoul to be exact.

"Motherland." I whispered as my vision darkened.

 

"Shoot." I muttered, my eyes still closed. I was pretty sure dried eye boogers were in my eyes and dried drool covered my cheeks. Soon enough, after my eyes had adjusted to the sunlight, I rubbed my hands and felt it. I packed up everything and went back to the ravine I had escaped from, washing my face and brushed my teeth. Thankfully, the stupid fox wasn't here and I took time. After I finished, I went back up, drinking my soup and double checking everything was packed in. I hitchhiked to the nearest bus stop which was the 39 and bused to the Finch station, going to the nearest telephone box. I dialled the airport number and in a few moments, I booked the next flight to Seoul and also booked an apartment. I sighed in relief as the call finished. I took my two bags and went on the train. It wasn't as crowded as I expected and I was grateful for that. A lot of people send me questioning looks when they see my bags. That's why I don't live near the urban area or people would start asking questions. 

The doors opened with a swish and I stepped out, climbing the white tiled stairs and exiting the station. I hailed a taxi.

"Hi, may I get a ride to Lester Pearson Airport please?" My driver nodded and I settled in, reading the last few chapters. I immediately regretted it as I had gotten migraines and dizzy as I read while in motion. Time flew by and before I knew it, we stopped.

I thanked the driver, handing him a wad of cash. "Keep it." I told him and his eyes widened.

"Here's my number." He handed a slip of paper. "Call me anytime you come back." I smiled at him sadly, knowing I would never come back but I didn't have the heart to tell him so. I clutched my duffel bags and entered the chaotic airport, people rushing everywhere.

"Where to start?" I clucked my tongue as I heaved up the duffel bags and headed for Gate 5. I weaved my way around the people milling around the general area. I spotted an empty seat but before I could slide into it, a giant covered my view. I bumped into him, hitting his cotton sweater. 

"Ya," He turned around, his face threatning but when he saw me, his facial expression changed.

"Omo, I'm sorry." I bowed, my voice coming out way higher than it usually did. When I was speaking with strangers or people I haven't seen in a long time, my voice became more higher and polite. It wasn't like I meant it to, it just did.

He cracked a grin. "Naw, it's okay." His English seemed to be broken as he waved someone to come over. A short, round eyed boy came over, his face stern.

"What did you do now?" He stared at the giant.

"ME?! I didn't do anything! Actually, I think she was going for this seat," He gestured to the empty seat in front of us, "But I was in her way. Sheesh woman!" He spoke in rapid Korean and I wasn't about to tell him that I knew Korean. The short guy bowed down. "I'm so sorry. Excuse my idiot friend, Chanyeol."

Chanyeol jabbed him in the ribs. "YA! Why'd you tell her? Now she's gonna go fangirl crazy over us." He hissed. The glaring guy shrugged and grabbed my hand. Now it was my turn to complain.

"What are you doing?" I whispered in a hushed voice, annoyed. What did they mean by fangirl crazy? I stole a quick glance at Chanyeol and the guy grabbing my hand. Why would I be a fangirl over them? I was finally let go at a private booth where 10 other guys around their age was eating and chatting. The chatter suddenly stopped when I entered.

A boy with really bad eye circles leaned over to the doe eyed guy and spoke in his ear. "What is she doing here?

I sighed. I was really going to have to tell them I knew Korean and Chinese. Mandarin at least. "I speak Korean and Chinese.

The panda boy dropped his jaw in shock. So did the others except for two guys in the corners. One with purple headphones on and the other who was carrying a white alpaca who was wearing a purple scarf and shades. The guy who was carrying the alpaca was also wearing shades which seemed really weird.

Alpaca boy spoke up. "Okay, so what the hell are you doing here?" Behind my poker face (Which Lady Gaga blessed me with), I was furious. So ill-mannered.

"I was dragged here by your friend." I glared at the short guy pointedly. I wasn't going to argue back that he was being rude because I had seen way too many Korean dramas in airports while waiting for my flight that the guy would probably argue back that he didn't care. 

"Okay, get out." His reply was short and blunt. I gave him my deluxe I-will-kill-you-later glare while exiting. I pushed open the doors and I huffed as I took my seat. Then I thought about things such as the alpaca guy was such a douchebag. I mean, who could be carrying something that cute be that horrible? I got so steamed while thinking about it that I went up to the Starbucks and ordered a cotton candy frap. I hated splurging but it was my way to deal with things. I also bought some magazines and flipped through them. While I couldn't care less about feuds and divorce of the rich, it was pretty hilarious. Pretty soon, I was chuckling to myself, feeling better and could think clearly. And that's when a lightbulb hit me.

"Fricking EXO!" I murmured to myself. The short guy was D.O., the giant was Park Chanyeol and the alpaca was Ace Wu along with the alpaca guy named Kris Wu. I harrumphed. Who knew idols could be that cold? Well, Chanyeol and D.O. was okay. But Kris....

"Hey, I'm sorry about earlier. My name is Chanyeol from EXO. By the way, you shouldn't really be sipping on air." Just as he said, I was sipping on air, having finished my frap. I sighed in disgust and made a throw, my cup shot right in the middle of the trash.

"I really hate people apologizing on other people's behalf, it's really annoying. But it's still an apology so I'll take it." I shrugged. His eyes flickered to the magazine I was holding out and his expression changed.

"Well, I really hate tabloids. Half of what the media say aren't true." His voice filled with hatred.

"Whoa, whoa, calm your face down." I made a motion and his face immediately cleared. "I just use them for entertainment purposes. They make me feel better. And I wouldn't have bought them if your friend over there," I jerked my chin in the booth's direction, "Hadn't made me feel iffy."

He smiled sheepishly. "Hehehe...So are you flying to Seoul?"

I rolled my eyes. "Well, I wouldn't be here if I wasn't." Boys can be so thick sometimes.

"Where are you staying?" Ignoring my retort, he went on. I stared at him in disbelief.

"I don't give out my adress to random strangers." Just because he was an idol didn't mean special privileges.

"Oh yea. Well, you could give me your number." He trailed off, hope was lit all across his face. I sighed.

"How about I observe what you do over the plane and if I decide you're trustworthy enough, I'll tell you."

"Which section are you in? Economy, Business or First-Class?" His face seemed eager.

"Business." If it was even possible, his eyes grew larger. I knew what he was going to say before he said it. "Really? Me too!" Before I could respond, the boys came out in a single file. Overhead, a female voice echoed out over the speakers.

"All passengers flying to Seoul, Korea must be at Gate 5 immediately. Please have your boarding pass and identification ready. We will be flying in 1 hour. Thank you for your cooperation." I quickly strode to the Gate and was taken to a smaller room where passengers were divided into Economy, Business and First Class. My eyes widened when I realized how small the amount of passengers were. My jaw dropped when I realized the only passengers in Business were the 12 boys and I.

"Let's go." A flight attendant walked briskly to a unchained doorway where First-Class passengers were already boarding the plane. I walked through the chilly hallway and into the plane. I glanced at my ticket. 9G. I lugged over the duffel bag and struggled to put it in the overhead compartment. Just before I thought it would topple onto me, a light hand pushed it over and it clicked close. I turned to smile gratefully at the person who helped me before I realized it was probably one of the EXO boys.

"Thanks." I muttered before taking the middle seat. I shrugged off the smaller duffel bag, taking out my book and my vesy. I slapped myself (literally) and groaned. I forgotten to buy gum and those ear plugs.

"Here." The blonde boy who had helped me handed over an iPod, earphones, a pack of ExtraDessert mint chocolate gum and bright blue earplugs. I smiled briefly before I remembered.

"Um thanks." As I made a move to get the stuff, he quickly dumped them on my lap before putting on his Samsung headphones. Was he bipolar? I took out the cellophane wrapped, brand new white neck pillow outside of the backside of the chair, grabbing the new white slippers out as well. I slipped on the slippers, holding out my ponytail and letting it go once the pillows was securely on my neck. 

"This is the final boarding call for passengers on flight 37A to Seoul. Please proceed to Gate 5 immediately. The final checks are being completed and the captain will order for the doors of the aircraft to close in five minutes." The female voice spoke again, her voice being magnified in the airplane. I popped in a piece of gum as I flipped the pages in a way I hoped wasn't pretentious. Time flew by and soon, the seatbelt icon turned green.

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome onboard Flight 37A with service from Toronto to Seoul. We are currently third in line for take-off and are expected to be in the air in approximately seven minutes time. We ask that you please fasten your seatbelts at this time and secure all baggage underneath your seat or in the overhead compartments. We also ask that your seats and table trays are in the upright position for take-off. Please turn off all personal electronic devices, including laptops and cell phones. Smoking is prohibited for the duration of the flight. Thank you for choosing Mountain Airlines. Enjoy your flight." A different female voice spoke as I peeked outside the window. It was already turning dark. I the mini TV, flipping through the different movies. There was Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Big Hero 6, Guardians of the Galaxy and Birdman. Obviously since I was isolated from civilization, I didn't know any of the movies. There was also many Korean shows such as Showtime, Dream Team, Running Man, and many others I didn't recognize. As I was just about to select one, the plane started. I quickly powered the iPod to airplane mode, handing the it to the boy who accepted it silently.

"Thanks." I whispered though I doubted he had heard what I said. The ascent was going very smoothly and I soon clicked on Showtime, drifting asleep on EXO's second episode. What I didn't know at the time was that I had fell asleep on the blonde boy's lap.