All this pain means well

Give in

 

      Their relationship is ideal. How the smart and work of art transferee was able to tame the wild and playboy king of school. It was a story everyone is looking forward to. Everyday the students has another chapter to anticipate to watch.

       It all started the moment Lee Hongbin sets foot in his new school. Unknowingly catching attention as he comfortably sits by himself in the far left side of the cafeteria, eating his home made meals with his earphones on, volume on full blast to block the world entirely. He was sipping on his apple juice when his peripheral vision catches someone settling beside him. Said stranger turns to look at him and smile. After removing his earphones Hongbin reaches his arm out for formal introduction. Han Sanghyuk, the name the stranger gave him. A new friendship was established that day and not long after Sanghyuk started showing romantic gestures. When the younger, Hongbin learned a little later, asked him to be his boyfriend without a second thought he said yes. Despite the hateful glances and threats from Sanghyuk's admirers they somehow made their relationship work. From highschool to college until now that they already graduated.

      But somethings never really change. When Hongbin was staying at home one day after filing a three days leave to prepare for their 8th anniversary together and 3rd anniversary of marriage, their doorbell rang and Hongbin almost lost it after finding out the person on the other side. Sanghyuk came home that night to the sound of a baby crying. Just like those other times when some random stranger will pull him into an alley and then leave him somehow battered, Hongbin hid the truth about the baby too. All that's important is his husband's happiness. It never mattered how much he's hurting as long as by the end of the day Sanghyuk will be in his arms.

      Years passed by and today their little prince is ready to enter school. Both parents are all over their Aiden, cooing how the boy looks in his uniform: white polo and navy blue short with sky blue and white plaid design on the hem. Hongbin is fixing his family's lunch boxes when their doorbell rang and Sanghyuk yell from the living room that he's got it. A minute or two passed and the elder exits the kitchen with a smile, when he saw who was sitting there in one of their single couch, however, his smile fell immediately and a look of terror replaced it. "What are doing here?" Hongbin asks outright. The woman stands up and smile. "I just came to say goodbye. I'm moving to Japan, Hongbin." Right at that moment little Aiden came out from his room with his bag already on his back.

      Sanghyuk isn't naive. Everytime they go out people would point out his resemblance with Aiden. He never knew what the real story about the baby is anyway, just that he's a child of Hongbin's friend he didn't want the younger to know about. He left the conversation there because if ever the real mother will come and reclaim the child she cannot anymore for the legal papers in adoption had already been done. One time though, while grocery shopping with his son he bumped into an old friend. And that's when he found out everything. Sanghyuk comes home with Hongbin's favorite cake that day and shared a night full of passion. He showered the older with love and assurance.

      Some things just never change and some things are better left hanging. Sanghyuk didn't want to believe it, but the parcel from the laboratory containing the DNA test result proved it. Aiden is not just a child of an old friend. He is the fruit of Sanghyuk's infidelity.

      Hongbin immediately lifts his son and made a beeline to the garage. He puts his son down on the backseat and put on his son's safety belt. Without looking back he drives to his son's school. After dropping Aiden with a smile and a promise to pick him up after class, he drives aimlessly.

       The living room is left with two regretful souls, one of which gathered the courage to finally speak. "Sanghyuk, I'm sorry. I was gonna tell you, but-" She was abruptly stopped. "But, what?" Calmly but with visible menace he continues, "The thirst got the better of you, didn't it? What were you hoping for?" By now tears are already falling down Sanghyuk's eyes. The mix emotions and the feeling of disgust with himself all together. "I told you, Sanghyuk. I loved you," The woman starts, almost falling on her knees. "When I found out that I'm pregnant with your child I was so happy. So happy because I thought that finally, finally I have something Hongbin cannot give you." She takes a deep breath and smiles at Sanghyuk bitterly. "On the day I planned to tell you were the day Hongbin got hospitalized. I was there for a check-up, but when I saw you I couldn't let myself to walk up to you." She casts her eyes down then collects her bag before continuing. "I was a fool for thinking you'll love me back. That's why I gave our child to Hongbin. Because I know if I will keep him I'll keep hurting." With that said she left the household stirred.

      He didn’t know how long he’d been sitting there but for Hongbin, nothing matters right now. As he wipes another fresh tear from his face he thinks bitterly. All the possible what if’s running through his mind that he didn’t notice Sanghyuk settling himself on the other swing next to his. “This is where we had our first kiss.” Sanghyuk’s starts catching his husband’s attention. Hongbin looks at him with full sadness and Sanghyuk wants to reach his hand out, but he knows he can’t. This time he cannot block whatever it is that is hurting the elder. This time, he knows he can’t pretend that he’s not the cause of it. Not when his very soul is on agony while burning in hell. Hongbin smiles and diverts his attention to the old, lone magnolia tree on the park. Of course he remembers that day. That was their 100th day and he didn’t even think the younger will remember, but he did, and more than just remembering. He prepared for it to make the day special for them.

      “Aiden will be out in thirty minutes.” Sanghyuk speaks again. He stands up and offers his hand to Hongbin. For a moment there, the younger thought that he will not take it. But just like those other times, Hongbin proves him wrong. As soon as his hands touch the elder’s Sanghyuk closes his eyes and pull the elder towards his embrace. Hongbin didn’t go against it. He has no plans anyways. He had endured more than this, he had given everything, and this small thing will not break his faith. He circles his arms on the younger and let Sanghyuk wets the sweater he is wearing with his tears. He runs his right hand on the younger’s back, accepting the silent apology he knows Sanghyuk will never have the courage to say.

      “Let’s go for an ice cream?” Hongbin faces Sanhyuk, smiling after taking their son in his arms. The younger smiles back and lead his family back to the car.

       Sanghyuk may not have the way with words, but it’s ok. Messages are better conveyed by actions anyways and Hongbin might be hurting, but that’s alright too. Love will not be love without pain, after all, Cupid has to shoot you with an arrow first. 

 

--------

Hi! So here it is. Thank you for your patience. Also, I'll be busy because I'm helping a friend in one of the project for Utopia in Manila. Until then, Adieu~

Or you can just talk to me in twitter. Name is @maermaidCHA